Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Phantasium posted:

The ground starts premade.

Every video I've seen shows Mario starting on the edge of a cliff facing empty space. Is premade ground a selectable option or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

No online with friends is so lovely that it killed a lot of my hype. Who the gently caress cares about playing with people you cant communicate with at all.

It might as well just be bots

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Just make and share levels. And play other levels.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No online with friends is so lovely that it killed a lot of my hype. Who the gently caress cares about playing with people you cant communicate with at all.

If they gave you the ability to queue up your own levels and share them with your co-op party it would be a great way to get your levels played. Of course by all accounts you can’t actually do that. Sigh.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Every video I've seen shows Mario starting on the edge of a cliff facing empty space. Is premade ground a selectable option or something?

sorry, i was thinking of something else

making ground is one of the things that you can make incredibly fast though so it's not a problem.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm still going through GameXplain's coverage, but level-chaining/campaign/overworld making... yes/no? I'm assuming it's a 'no', otherwise it'd be big news.

Also, they said something about seeing another style that they weren't allowed to talk about, but it had to do with moons. Odyssey?

EDIT: They also seemed to imply that they didn't know why this other, unmentionable style had to do with moons, so maybe it's something totally different and unexpected.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It could just be night mode related.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm still going through GameXplain's coverage, but level-chaining/campaign/overworld making... yes/no? I'm assuming it's a 'no', otherwise it'd be big news.

Also, they said something about seeing another style that they weren't allowed to talk about, but it had to do with moons. Odyssey?

EDIT: They also seemed to imply that they didn't know why this other, unmentionable style had to do with moons, so maybe it's something totally different and unexpected.

Still nothing about playlists. I think GX were talking about night modes that they can’t talk about. We’ve not seen what airships or castles do on night mode IIRC.

Edit: well someone else posted this night mode airship and it’s just the floating goomba effect, although there was also a thunderstorm background in the SMW theme.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 28, 2019

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I knew this was going to be the case when they conveniently didn't mention it in the direct, but it's super lovely. I've wanted online multiplayer for Mario forever and they hosed it up right at the finish line.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
While I have next to no interest in the online multiplayer, a few of my Mario-curious friends were thinking about picking this one up because of the potential for super mod-y feeling levels with friends. Big bummer.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wait, I'm confused by the "no online with friends" ... is it just random match making with no option to party up or specifically play with someone?

Why would they not let you specifically play with people? Almost every other switch game lets you.

e: Holy poo poo that's it. What the gently caress Nintendo. How are you this loving stupid?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 28, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bro your ranking though, gotta care about that ranking!!

Kill online versus and give me mystery shrooms back. I will gladly make the trade

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hopefully they add in a way to play online with friends in patches.

I’m fine with no more mystery mushrooms. I found them kinda annoying in 1. Being able to play as Luigi, Toad or Toadette in single player would make up for it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think losing the ability to have an extra hit but still have the proportions of regular mario kinda sucks.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Just make "For Fun" and "For Glory" modes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah no mystery mushroom is fine but it needs a "small but can break blocks and take a hit" replacement power. I'd say just builder Mario and friends would be sufficient though I think that's a powerup on its own from that once hammer icon on the Japanese direct.

Well actually I guess small with beetle shell is functionally identical, except you can't stack another beetle on it, and costume Mario can't bounce enemies.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Any word on what the replacement for the Amiibo Mushroom is, if anything?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah its losing out on themed Mario 1 stages as the main draw, but the small super Mario limits it pretty hard as well.

You can play as Luigi, Toad and Toadette now in singleplayer but I could do that already with the costume shrooms.

No more kirby, metroid or zelda levels for me :(

E: the replacement is the 8 bit anniversary mega mushroom that no one used

E2: Really I dont get why Mario 1 is a style anymore. It has nothing going for it unless you are Really fond of that 8 bit Mario

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 28, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mega64 posted:

Any word on what the replacement for the Amiibo Mushroom is, if anything?

I’m at work and haven’t seen today’s reveals, but previously we only saw instances of the mega mushroom in SMB.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Mario 1 style is worth it for all the “demade” sprites alone imo. They do a really good job with that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The no friends with online play thing dosen't affect me but drat, how does Nintendo manage to always gently caress up online at the last minute every single time?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I considered this one but it's not from a Mario game.

Here's some more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FPkdAx1o4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Bi8As4azI

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 28, 2019

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Here's a video with all the new songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO6vOh1Agi4

I think my biggest surprise was Super Mario 64's Slide Song!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Der-Wreck posted:

Here's a video with all the new songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO6vOh1Agi4

I think my biggest surprise was Super Mario 64's Slide Song!

Awesome, it looks like the bonus slot machine theme, that’s a remix of the SMB2 character select screen, is in as a choice for the 3D World theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5NRggFi3x4

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't understand why you'd cut the amiibo support

Like, unlocking costumes was one of the main draws of actually completing courses online

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

Like, unlocking costumes was one of the main draws of actually completing courses online

That’s still in but now it’s unlocking Mii costumes instead.:v:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

The only reasonable explanation anyone has come up with is they don't want players to get confused on who is who in multiplayer. Of course, anyone who spends two minutes thinking about it can come up with a solution to that problem so who knows.

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

The wolf is at your door.
I am finally going to buy a Nintendo Switch soon but I am not sure if I should wait a little bit more for a special Mario Maker 2 bundle or something. Is there any news about it?

For now I just know they are going to offer a stylus pen if you pre-order the game.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So with the strangers only problem trending on Twitter, what are the chances of a delay happening?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tirux posted:

I am finally going to buy a Nintendo Switch soon but I am not sure if I should wait a little bit more for a special Mario Maker 2 bundle or something. Is there any news about it?

For now I just know they are going to offer a stylus pen if you pre-order the game.

just in case you're american, the stylus is only a bonus in europe and japan

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Willo567 posted:

So with the strangers only problem trending on Twitter, what are the chances of a delay happening?

Zero. They'll patch it in at a later date if it's being added at all, MM1 wasn't feature complete at launch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Willo567 posted:

Probably none

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I guess I'll hold out hope for them patching some of the dumber choices out.

Remember that the original Mario Maker didn't even have checkpoints at launch :regd09:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I just don't understand why this is what broke the camel's back when it came to Nintendo's lackluster online. For gently caress's sake, it's trending on Twitter

At least you can play multiplayer locally. It would have been more of a deal breaker to me than what's happening right now

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Willo567 posted:

I just don't understand why this is what broke the camel's back when it came to Nintendo's lackluster online. For gently caress's sake, it's trending on Twitter

At least you can play multiplayer locally. It would have been more of a deal breaker to me than what's happening right now

Probably because it’s so much of an obvious low hanging fruit no-brainer that if added would improve the game by a such huge amount that people cannot believe Nintendo didn’t do it. Like, they had to at least have thought about it and actively decided not to do it.

Kind of like level-linking. I’m kind of surprised that didn’t start any trending, to be honest.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 28, 2019

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Couch-op is still in and, if enough people clamor, they'll probably add friend matching after launch. Honestly, no amiibo costumes hinder my hype more than not playing online with friends. Of course, I plan to be churning out levels more than anything else because I love building Mario stages.

Still can't wait for this game. I hope to see online co-op with friends before long, but even without it, this title is going to rule.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nintendo just really seems to be hardcore about actually playing games with other people in the same room. I understand it, but I also understand that many people exist exclusively in online communities, so I can understand why people are upset about this.

What I don't understand is why online multiplayer in Mario Maker 2 is the last straw. Like it's Mario Maker, who cares? From what I remember from back in the day, part of the reason NSMB isn't held in high regard is because with everything else, multiplayer is a nightmare and barely enjoyable with you crashing into each other. Mega64 even made a joke about how it wasn't fun and how the bubble was a suicide button. Suddenly, people want that?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tirux posted:

Buy a Odyssey bundle instead and just pre-order MM2. That way you'll have two great games.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NSMB 4-player multiplayer was a sublime experience and I wish I could experience it again for the first time

we got sidelined for like half an hour because I had too much fun throwing my swearing friends off the skeleton roller coaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Willo567 posted:

Because, if they whiffed on this, what else did they screw up? Being able to play a mario level with your friend is an absolute no brainer. So what other terrible choices did they make for some inane reason?