Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh no, the extremely limited resources of the poor newbie thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CPColin posted:

Oh no, the extremely limited resources of the poor newbie thread!

If you honestly think candid feedback from senior devs is a cheap commodity then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Like I understand there's no real mechanism for preventing this guy from sucking up all the available care units but the idea that you've got an infinite well of patient mentors here is kinda lol.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yikes lol was a needlessly dick move.

All the criticism was very good and well considered.

Not getting the right takeaways from it because LTSD was already mad at him for being a dick is unfortunate but not unexpected.

LTSD for your own good you should swallow your pride and genuinely reconsider what he said. The biggest imo is how he mentioned wanting you to move the tile logic up one level and then pass down the relevant bits as props, because that is exactly what you should do and misinterpreting that as "having one top level component" truthfully shows a lack of understanding of react dev patterns, my biggest red flag from all of this.

When I looked at it originally I kind of assumed it was legacy code from when you thought about the problem in another way(you aren't even using the tile IDs anywhere, for example. I just guessed you were at one point in development and forgot to clean it up) and I just let it slide. But not hearing thought processes is why we don't give take home assignments for interviews and consequently why I'm dogshit at critiquing them.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

rotor posted:

If you honestly think candid feedback from senior devs is a cheap commodity then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

If you honestly think where this conversation started counts as "candid feedback," (see one post up) then I'm not sure what to tell you.

People who don't want to post can always, you know, not post.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I mean i haven't posted here for a while but back when I was these were the forums where if you can't handle "yikes lol" followed by earnest feedback in a PM then maybe you don't want somethingawful dot com you want pleasedonthurtmyfeelings dot com

people who don't want candid feedback can always, you know, not ask for it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well, thanks for coming back to this thread and weighing in, I guess.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CPColin posted:

If you honestly think where this conversation started counts as "candid feedback," (see one post up) then I'm not sure what to tell you.
If you have problems with the review content that Flat Daddy PM'd, you should definitely be more clear. It looks like legit 'candid feedback'. You know how people always whinge on about how they don't get feedback from rejections? That's it. That's the feedback people want. It's finally been provided for someone. It starts with "ok heres a much more detailed breakdown than you'll ever get from your interviewer" if you somehow missed it.

Granted, I don't think "don't post example code that throws a shitload of linter warnings right out the gate" is why you need a senior dev around, but LSTD is starting from the bottom, again.

CPColin posted:

People who don't want to post can always, you know, not post.
senior devs not posting is precisely the threat model, thank u for noticing. if y'all are content to watch this thread descend to the dregs consoling each other after rejections be my guest? i am outlining exactly how you're letting one resource-sucking goon in a well poison it for everyone else.

i can't loving believe the gall it would take to boil down Flat Daddy's review to "lol bad comments" after 3 goddamn years of posting here begging for help

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The PM isn't where the conversation started.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh what have I done.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

Oh what have I done.

You've done God's work, don't sweat it.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Flat Daddy posted:

sorry for the troll language, here's the pm

(this wasn't for public consumption so a couple disclaimers. 1- like I say later, this is subjective, so other react devs im sure have different opinions, but im sometimes an interviewer so even if im dumb my opinions are an example of what's goin on at the other end of the table 2- my comments on BoardGenerationForm onchange stuff was probably overly nitpicky on second read but im not opening up the code again to confirm )

if this is your honest to god summary of my review then no wonder you're sending out ten thousand resumes and getting nothing back dude

two things, you're pretty loving dumb if you review code from people with no professional experience and give them this kind of feedback. i see worse code from people with years of experience on a regular basis.

second, i think LSTD's summary of your review was pretty accurate. what's your problem with it?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
The review was good and accurate, the attitude of the reviewer was a bit too condescending but the newbie was ungrateful and took code review as a personal attack, which is just dumb

love stole the day - I hope you can learn to extract the useful advice out of this and any future code reviews you get, even if they seem mean or whatever

the talent deficit posted:

i see worse code from people with years of experience on a regular basis.

not with years of React experience I hope

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 29, 2019

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

i see worse code from people with years of experience on a regular basis.

Sometimes imposter syndrome isn't wrong.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I once had a poo poo resume, like complete garbage with sentences starting with "And also". I showed it to a former coworker and they took time out of their day to explain exactly how it poo poo it was. At first I was sorta offended because I'd sunk a lot of time into that piece of poo poo resume and to my idiotic inexperienced mind it looked like it was actually very good thank you very much. Then I got over that and fixed the resume and got better at writing resumes. Then the fixed resume got me hired.

If someone immediately goes on the defensive because they got honest and direct feedback then that's their own problem and they should stop wasting people's time in threads intended for honest and direct feedback until they've gotten over that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hey friends. I am making a portfolio. The scroll effects aren't working yet, but I was wondering how this looks overall.

I was also looking for advice on my resume which is linked in there on a pdf. It has my personal information so please don't doxx me.

https://royal-crown-cola.github.io/Updated-Portfolio/

Also I've only done one freelance job so far and its not finished yet. Should I leave that on my portfolio or take it off?

Also also the picture at the bottom left of github broke recently for some reason that I didn't notice until just now. So I'm aware of that one.

Thanks in advance.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

JawnV6 posted:

had more words here but LSTD has been posting in this "newbie" thread for 3 years, at this point they're sucking up resources and effort that could benefit actual newbies

LSTD has less professional experience than a lot of regular newbies. Please keep your spreadsheet up to date jeez.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RC Cola posted:

Hey friends. I am making a portfolio. The scroll effects aren't working yet, but I was wondering how this looks overall.

I was also looking for advice on my resume which is linked in there on a pdf. It has my personal information so please don't doxx me.

Also I've only done one freelance job so far and its not finished yet. Should I leave that on my portfolio or take it off?

Also also the picture at the bottom left of github broke recently for some reason that I didn't notice until just now. So I'm aware of that one.

Thanks in advance.

Just commenting on the Resume.

Its a bit all over the place. I am not reading this as a "Full-Stack Dev" resume. I think you fell into what is probably the most common trap of putting together a Resume that pretty generally follows your career but not really specific in what you want.

If you're looking to get into full-stack or front-end dev, the resume should be tailored to that. Right now you have about 20% dedicated to that and 80% focused elswhere.

quote:

Have developed a variety of front end applications. My github has some examples.

As a hiring manager, I don't really want to dig through your github to see what you've done. I want the github to be a reference, not a "some assembly required" resume. Highlight what you think your skills are and what you've done.

I'd suggest cutting back on how much space you're using to describe non-dev jobs. The lead position is nice, but most of the other info isn't really needed.

I'm not entirely sure what your education level is. I suspect it was a BA in journalism and then a couple classes elsewhere. That's probably ok if that is, but if you did get another degree you're hiding it.

Your Linkedin calls you a machinist. If that's not the job you're trying to get, change it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

Just commenting on the Resume.

Its a bit all over the place. I am not reading this as a "Full-Stack Dev" resume. I think you fell into what is probably the most common trap of putting together a Resume that pretty generally follows your career but not really specific in what you want.

If you're looking to get into full-stack or front-end dev, the resume should be tailored to that. Right now you have about 20% dedicated to that and 80% focused elswhere.

As a hiring manager, I don't really want to dig through your github to see what you've done. I want the github to be a reference, not a "some assembly required" resume. Highlight what you think your skills are and what you've done.

I'd suggest cutting back on how much space you're using to describe non-dev jobs. The lead position is nice, but most of the other info isn't really needed.

I'm not entirely sure what your education level is. I suspect it was a BA in journalism and then a couple classes elsewhere. That's probably ok if that is, but if you did get another degree you're hiding it.

Your Linkedin calls you a machinist. If that's not the job you're trying to get, change it.

I changed my LinkedIn. My education is just a BS in journalism with an English minor. I took a C++ class at Oregon State and am in a coding bootcamp at Denver University right now.

Any advice on how to make it more clear?

When I get home from work today I'll update my resume and post it again.

On my resume should I just post a link to my portfolio instead since that has the highlights of my gut hub anyways? Should I register a domain name instead of hosting my portfolio to github?

Thank you for the advice. I finally decided it's time to get off my rear end and get out of manufacturing.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

RC Cola posted:

Should I register a domain name instead of hosting my portfolio to github?

No sane person will ever think "wow, his portfolio is on a github domain instead of his own domain, I won't hire him"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RC Cola posted:

I changed my LinkedIn. My education is just a BS in journalism with an English minor. I took a C++ class at Oregon State and am in a coding bootcamp at Denver University right now.

Any advice on how to make it more clear?

When I get home from work today I'll update my resume and post it again.

On my resume should I just post a link to my portfolio instead since that has the highlights of my gut hub anyways? Should I register a domain name instead of hosting my portfolio to github?

Thank you for the advice. I finally decided it's time to get off my rear end and get out of manufacturing.

Ok, so I think the bootcamp really helps you here. I would list something like (make it prettier)

NIU: 2013: BA in Journalism
UoD: 2019: XYZ Coding Bootcamp
Additional CS Classes from Oregon State.

Github is fine, but talk about your projects more. What did you use node.js and Ajax to do? Was that all on firebase or did you have different experience? Definitely have the freelance stuff on there, even if it's not done.

You are definitely a junior, junior dev here but list the stuff you want a hiring manager to ask you about. You can free up space cutting back on the machining stuff, probably removing ski instructor (I'd move that to the "other interests" line at the bottom), probably removing Thortons....

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

RC Cola posted:

Thanks in advance.

Lots of tough feedback ahead. Similar to the previous discussion about feedback, fight it or accept it. Up to you. If you constructively take this feedback, I'll happily keep writing more and more feedback.

Tough Love
- Your resume says "Detail oriented" and you've got spelling errors, grammatical errors, inconsistent styling in resume and website.
- Get rid of all the flashy crap. The background video thing is like killing the tab, the typed out text is bad for accessibility.
- I'd scrap most all of the design and go for something more simplistic. This site feels like something from the 90s and not in a good way.
- Why I just opened up your Pokemon app and it says "talking poo poo" in the one box. Why? What?

Content
- What are "APIs" and how is that a skill

Design
- Why does the learn more button randomly have a turquoise background
- The weird background textures should go.
- You've got inconsistent border radiuses throughout your project
- Every "page", as you scroll is way too large and has a ton of extra whitespace. Except the most important section which looks like the footer.
- Why is your resume hidden as a subheader under contact me and why is it in the footer section.

Code
- The link for your Mood Quotes app is broken.
- The image in your contact me section is broken.
- The Learn More button is broken
- Not sure what's up with the background but sometimes it animates/plays other times it doesn't.
- When you refresh the page, the site maintains its vertical position. Not sure how you achieved that but it's weird.
- You've left console logs in
- Not sure what your doing with your LinkedIn link but when I try and right click to open new tab it tries to open the image instead of the link.
- Does your website really make a ~1.3-1.4 MB request about every second?

LinkedIn
- You've got spelling/grammatical errors in your description

Resume
- Don't use that cursive font which is hard to read
- Your formatting for "Coding Experience" doesn't math the other sections.
- You need more spacing between sections of content
- You've got like 4 lines at the top of your resume about coding, a ton of stuff that doesn't relate or transfer to software, and then like 2 lines of mention of doing full stack web development in education. Rewrite the structure of your resume to tell me your a dev. Right now I'm not seeing that.
- Your skills have nothing to do with development. Soft skills, like being detail oriented should be shown not told. And I'm really not seeing that at all.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

huhu posted:

Lots of tough feedback ahead. Similar to the previous discussion about feedback, fight it or accept it. Up to you. If you constructively take this feedback, I'll happily keep writing more and more feedback.

Tough Love
- Your resume says "Detail oriented" and you've got spelling errors, grammatical errors, inconsistent styling in resume and website.
- Get rid of all the flashy crap. The background video thing is like killing the tab, the typed out text is bad for accessibility.
- I'd scrap most all of the design and go for something more simplistic. This site feels like something from the 90s and not in a good way.
- Why I just opened up your Pokemon app and it says "talking poo poo" in the one box. Why? What?

Content
- What are "APIs" and how is that a skill

Design
- Why does the learn more button randomly have a turquoise background
- The weird background textures should go.
- You've got inconsistent border radiuses throughout your project
- Every "page", as you scroll is way too large and has a ton of extra whitespace. Except the most important section which looks like the footer.
- Why is your resume hidden as a subheader under contact me and why is it in the footer section.

Code
- The link for your Mood Quotes app is broken.
- The image in your contact me section is broken.
- The Learn More button is broken
- Not sure what's up with the background but sometimes it animates/plays other times it doesn't.
- When you refresh the page, the site maintains its vertical position. Not sure how you achieved that but it's weird.
- You've left console logs in
- Not sure what your doing with your LinkedIn link but when I try and right click to open new tab it tries to open the image instead of the link.
- Does your website really make a ~1.3-1.4 MB request about every second?

LinkedIn
- You've got spelling/grammatical errors in your description

Resume
- Don't use that cursive font which is hard to read
- Your formatting for "Coding Experience" doesn't math the other sections.
- You need more spacing between sections of content
- You've got like 4 lines at the top of your resume about coding, a ton of stuff that doesn't relate or transfer to software, and then like 2 lines of mention of doing full stack web development in education. Rewrite the structure of your resume to tell me your a dev. Right now I'm not seeing that.
- Your skills have nothing to do with development. Soft skills, like being detail oriented should be shown not told. And I'm really not seeing that at all.

This is the feedback I am looking for. As well as the other two posters above.
I'm going to be going through my portfolio and resume and fixing all of this up over this week and I'll post it again.
I definitely have alot of inconsistencies. My resume is my old one for machine shop work that I have been modifying. I might just start from scratch.

Some clarification questions.
Should I have a nav bar at the top that brings the user to each section?
In that case is a full page view better or worse(that's what I was shooting for in my portfolio)
For each section should I have slightly different shades of the same color? Should I not use texture stuff as background at all?
Should I take out the video entirely? I had it in there more for practice than anything else.
Should I have any animations, or is that just seen as flashy? I was thinking of it as a way to show that I know how to do them.

I definitely need to update pokefite's code to call it something other than trash talk. Although the talking poo poo thing might be someone having posted in there. The chat feature uses a real time database and stores/displays it.

Should I display one of my node.js projects? I have two that I've done so far. One uses inquirer and the other uses axios and Spotify APIs.

I'll ask some more questions when I get home. And definitely tell me what I need to hear. I need the honest feedback so I can get myself into a position to get into the field for real.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

RC Cola posted:

This is the feedback I am looking for. As well as the other two posters above.
I'm going to be going through my portfolio and resume and fixing all of this up over this week and I'll post it again.
I definitely have alot of inconsistencies. My resume is my old one for machine shop work that I have been modifying. I might just start from scratch.

Some clarification questions.
Should I have a nav bar at the top that brings the user to each section?
In that case is a full page view better or worse(that's what I was shooting for in my portfolio)
For each section should I have slightly different shades of the same color? Should I not use texture stuff as background at all?
Should I take out the video entirely? I had it in there more for practice than anything else.
Should I have any animations, or is that just seen as flashy? I was thinking of it as a way to show that I know how to do them.

I definitely need to update pokefite's code to call it something other than trash talk. Although the talking poo poo thing might be someone having posted in there. The chat feature uses a real time database and stores/displays it.

Should I display one of my node.js projects? I have two that I've done so far. One uses inquirer and the other uses axios and Spotify APIs.

I'll ask some more questions when I get home. And definitely tell me what I need to hear. I need the honest feedback so I can get myself into a position to get into the field for real.
I PM'd you some stuff.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Design is honestly one of the hardest things to do in web development, takes a lot of skill to be able to put something cohesive together.

If you're looking to be a full stack dev, it might benefit you to just take an existing design you like and recreate it yourself, I dont think any company cares if you can create designs yourself, just that you can translate a rendering of a page layout into actual structure/interaction (unless your applying for some nightmare job where you have to do both design and dev).

Dribbble is a great source for inspiration on this stuff, just have to filter out the stuff that was designed by someone whos never written code in their life (super flashy stuff)
https://dribbble.com/search?q=resume+portfolio

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 30, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
re, RC Cola's resume website: I would get a professional headshot taken, or sub in a more "casual" photo. Converting what is presumably a wedding photo into a headshot is odd.

Also, from the lay-perspective of a person who has never written any javascript in his life, just... do less. There's so much going on and so little of it provides me any insight about who you are or what you can do.

I absolutely do not want to sit and wait for your name to finish typing out, either. If I'm a recruiter, I have probably closed the page before I've even seen your full name.

Again, from the perspective of a non-front-end-dev, focus your efforts on including techniques in your resume that you would also include in a real website. I assume typewriter effects and background videos are not things you would put in a real website, right?

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 1, 2019

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Okay I took some advice and was able to try to make a more simple portfolio. Its not done yet and I'm still having issues with the sticky header. I was just wondering for some more advice and tips so I can keep moving this in the right direction.

I was wondering about the section with my projects. Does that look okay with the image above linking to the hosted project and the text beneath linking to the code of the project? I've seen people a hover effect over the image that switches to descriptive text. Would that look better?

I'm all for brutal honesty, so hit me with all of it.

https://royal-crown-cola.github.io/Simple-Portfolio/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This is a relatively minor thing, but I think it would be much better if the project descriptions were all phrased as "An app which XYZ" or "An app for XYZ", "An app utilizing XYZ to XYZ", "A game XYZ", etc. The current inconsistent style really stands out to me, both in the old and the new version, and as a personal preference the starting out with "this" does not sound great.

e: But maybe that's just me.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 3, 2019

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Private Speech posted:

This is a relatively minor thing, but I think it would be much better if the project descriptions were all phrased as "An app which XYZ" or "An app for XYZ", "An app utilizing XYZ to XYZ", "A game XYZ", etc. The current inconsistent style really stands out to me, both in the old and the new version, and as a personal preference the starting out with "this" does not sound great.

e: But maybe that's just me.

That is good feedback that makes sense to me and I will utilize. I wasn't sure if I should try to make the tone of each app sound different or not.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

RC Cola posted:

That is good feedback that makes sense to me and I will utilize. I wasn't sure if I should try to make the tone of each app sound different or not.
I dunno if you're looking for resume-specific feedback, but try to be more active and/or take ownership of whatever you did. Just some quick examples:

quote:

• Have developed -> Developed
  • Used CorelDraw to design -> Designed <blah> using CorelDraw
  • Helped maintain -> Maintained

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I would lose the “learn more” thing and bring the content up. It’s pointless.

Also I’d lose the images and add more text describing what each app does and link off to both the live site and the github

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Star Wars Sex Parrot, that's a good idea and I'll do that.

Grump posted:

I would lose the “learn more” thing and bring the content up. It’s pointless.

Also I’d lose the images and add more text describing what each app does and link off to both the live site and the github

So get rid of my "home page" up top? That could work. It will help with my sticky header being a fucker too I think.

For my apps, an idea from Huhu's portfolio is having an image and when you hover over it, it switches to the name of the app and a small description. When you click it can bring the user to a new page with more detailed descriptions and on each of these separate pages I can have links to the code of the app on github and the live site.

Thoughts?

Also what other content should I add to my contact section at the bottom? Should I have a form that sends and email? Does anyone ever actually use those?

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Star Wars Sex Parrot, that's a good idea and I'll do that.

So get rid of my "home page" up top? That could work. It will help with my sticky header being a fucker too I think.

For my apps, an idea from Huhu's portfolio is having an image and when you hover over it, it switches to the name of the app and a small description. When you click it can bring the user to a new page with more detailed descriptions and on each of these separate pages I can have links to the code of the app on github and the live site.

Thoughts?

Also what other content should I add to my contact section at the bottom? Should I have a form that sends and email? Does anyone ever actually use those?

I'll just weigh in that I think you need some new projects ASAP. These apps look exactly like homework assignments from the local bootcamp.

Hiring managers can spot those bootcamp homeworks from a mile away. One of the best ways to distinguish yourself is to put some original side project on there. Make sure it showcases your skills in a technology you're hoping to get hired for, ie if you want to be a front end developer, I would expect a React or Vue project.

On a positive note, kudos for actually having a portfolio. You'd be surprised how many people don't even bother.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I just figured out that I suck at finding recursive solutions for problems. I don't even know what else I want to say there. I just felt like I had to say it somewhere.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
On the bright side, knowing you're bad at something is a great first step toward getting better, if you want to.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, it looks like it isn't all recursion, but I am having trouble quantifying what breaks my brain or doesn't. Recursion in general data structures? No problem. Using recursion to generate stuff or calculate things? Totally hosed.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The book The Little Schemer fixed my understanding of recursion without much pain

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Hey I have an upcoming interview, and I have a general idea of what to study, but because its a variety of interviews in a small chunk of time I thought it would be good to see if you guys could recommend any good condense sources.

The schedule is like this--

mini project with software engineer
software design with software of engineering
convo with product manager
algorithms exercise with engineering
conversation with another enginee

Do programmers call themselves engineers typically? My current jobs uses more specific names like security related, or devops, solutions architect. i havent looked at any linkedin to verify, but thought it was weird.

any good sources for design and algorithms? i felt a little overwhelmed looking at it initially, but I guess its only going to be 3 chunks of coding and two more behavioral? what should i expect from a product manager?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Do programmers call themselves engineers typically?

You call yourself an engineer if you're negotiating salary or trying to get the attention of hiring managers when applying to jobs because engineers make more money and are more talented than developers even though it's the same fuckin thing.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
And never ever call yourself a programmer or a coder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

User posted:

And never ever call yourself a programmer or a coder.

The most powerful title is, of course, "ninja".