Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Releasing kick-heavy songs just feels like they're trying to break the few remaining pedals out there so nobody can play drums anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Went to play for a few hours last night and realized both my GH5 guitars are on the brink of breaking. First one has a faulty upstrum, second one has spotty neck buttons. Maybe I can combine them to make one good guitar, but still. :smith: At this rate all I will have left are the indestructable USB microphones, because my GHWT drumkit has been poo poo for years.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

That Vampire Weekend song looks fun to sing.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
What would be the cheapest route to play The Beatles Rockband, since I can't play it on my ps4, would getting a cheap ps3 be the best way?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you have a 360. Get that one, and/or :filez: the custom DLC for it. Or do that for RB3 PS3 if that's doable, I only have a 360.

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

Manuel Calavera posted:

If you have a 360. Get that one, and/or :filez: the custom DLC for it. Or do that for RB3 PS3 if that's doable, I only have a 360.

Get a legit game disc too, though. Super cheap these days, and the TB:RB visuals / gameplay experience is totally worth it.

El Destructo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 3, 2019

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Absolutely. Beatles RB is easily the prettiest Rock Band game, second in quality only to RB3.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

If anyone is interested, I'm trying to avoid using the nightmare that is eBay or Craigslist to sell my unused PDP Wired Legacy Adapter over here on SA Mart. I posted about it here earlier, wrestled with the idea of buying a MIDI drum kit but just can't justify it, so I'm hanging up the dream and selling it.

\/\/\/
Yeah! It's weird!

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 8, 2019

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Holy poo poo, $400? Looks like I'm never playing drums ever again. I didn't realize those were that hot of a commodity.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So if I bought this Lego Rock Band Export Pack could I get those songs into RB4? Or is it just a waste of $10?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have Crocodile Rock, Final Countdown, Let's Dance, etc, all in my RB4. I exported it to RB3. So you should be able to export fine yes.
e - https://rockbandaide.com/20501/lego-rock-band-export-no-longer-available/ however says otherwise maybe?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah that post was why I wasn't sure if it would work, it seems like NO but I figured if any of you DLC wizards knew how to carry it over it would be worth a shot.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
The export process worked by entering the manual code on Harmonix’s site and after you did that it would take you to the Xbox marketplace which is where you’d actually buy the export pack. That first step is what was turned off back in 2014 (manual codes don’t work anymore) but the export pack itself is still on the marketplace so you can redownload it if you own it.

Will it even let you buy it from that marketplace link? I own it so I can’t test but I would think it would take you to an error page if you actually tried to go through with the purchase.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ahh poo poo, I didn't even think of that but yeah it gives a website error when trying to continue to the checkout.

Got my hopes up for nothing! Just like that $115 PDP adapter I almost had on Ebay before bots cranked it up to $300 in the last 30 seconds!

Curse you, internet.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

sleepwalkers posted:

If anyone is interested, I'm trying to avoid using the nightmare that is eBay or Craigslist to sell my unused PDP Wired Legacy Adapter over here on SA Mart. I posted about it here earlier, wrestled with the idea of buying a MIDI drum kit but just can't justify it, so I'm hanging up the dream and selling it.

\/\/\/
Yeah! It's weird!

I just spent way too much on a TD-17KVX setup and I should absolutely be content with using it in RB3 but it's so tempting to get an adapter. :smith:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Warning: Microsoft hosed something up their already clunky, slow content system and had to release a patch for ALL DLC. This fucks over RB players because we now have as much as 2000 updates queued making the game unplayable since you will get constantly spammed with "x needs an update" messages for each song you own making menus impossible to navigate since if you accidentally press A when one pops up, the game closes, and if you do manage to get into a song, the scroll stutters because the Xbone can barely run while patching. I'm not sure what MS is trying to update with their DLC, but I highly doubt that it won't just make the console another little bit incrementally slower. Having the "fastest console ever" doesn't count for much if you're a lazy coder and the lion's share of CPU cycles just go to brute-forcing your slow, bloated OS.

TheJetCityFix posted:

Holy poo poo, $400? Looks like I'm never playing drums ever again. I didn't realize those were that hot of a commodity.
That's because scalpers. Speculators buy them all up the minute there's a batch made, ala NES Classics or PAX tickets. I see scumbags bragging about owning two or three. Hobby killers. :fuckoff:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Orange Harrison posted:

Warning: Microsoft hosed something up their already clunky, slow content system and had to release a patch for ALL DLC.

Well, poo poo. Hopefully it applied all the patches overnight for me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just another reason for me to finally hang it up I guess...

:negative:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Harrison posted:

Warning: Microsoft hosed something up their already clunky, slow content system and had to release a patch for ALL DLC.

Oh, so that's what happened. Huh, weird. Also just quoting this to be a little proud I beat one of your scores somehow. The last song you taunted me on I don't even own, I just played it off of a buddy's (you know Milt still I assume Harrison) account.

If any of you need folk to send taunts at, feel free to add FoxBoxen. :3:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Orange Harrison posted:

That's because scalpers. Speculators buy them all up the minute there's a batch made, ala NES Classics or PAX tickets. I see scumbags bragging about owning two or three. Hobby killers. :fuckoff:

Uh that’s not really the case here... Pelican/PDP initially sold them for $30 and they were available at that price for a little over a year. Then when RB4 didn’t appear to set the world on fire, they decided to cut their losses and clearances them out for $10 each. Lots of people who already bought them for $30 - including myself - thought to themselves, “maybe I should buy a backup or two since these are probably never going to be available again.” Most likely they - like myself - threw the adapters in a drawer for a few years and forgot about them. Then they happened upon them, realized how little they were playing Rock Band in 2019 and thought they might get rid of one or both of their spares. They checked eBay and... holy poo poo, these things are worth $300 - 400 now.

So no, no one bought them up the second a batch was made. They were readily available at the $30 price direct from the manufacturer for a reasonable amount of time. Then they were clearanced. Then people who didn’t buy them when they were reasonably priced decided they wanted something that was essentially out of print - as people so often do - and now they’re forced to decide if they want to pay for waiting.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 24, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I've relisted mine three times at C$300. No takers. :shrug: Hobby dead, so what.

It's still great fun, there's just so much other cool poo poo to do too.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yeah, the adapters were regularly available for a year and even when I was told that would be the last run that was produced I warned people about it in this thread.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That's all cool for people who were active and played drums and knew or thought they wanted an ekit for it. Us suckers who came late to the game are hosed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

For the purposes of latecomer drummers, the game is a PS4 exclusive. Those of us who have DLC locked into the xbox environment need the adapters and envy that freedom.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

flakeloaf posted:

For the purposes of latecomer drummers, the game is a PS4 exclusive. Those of us who have DLC locked into the xbox environment need the adapters and envy that freedom.

This. I have been playing since the first RB and have a poo poo ton of money tied to my DLC. That’s the bummer of it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Why did it take you this long to transition to RB4/XBO if you’ve been playing RB on a Microsoft console from the first? Did you learn nothing from upgrading each of your previous RB games?

The writing on the wall was there since RB2: the ability to transition your RB1 on disc songs had an expiration as did RB2 to RB3 along with LEGO RB, GDRB, and others. Access to old features is time limited and has always been that way... why would you have expected extremely limited use adapters to be any different?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Harmonix is "in discussion" with hardware manufacturers and a new instrument run would also include legacy adapters. Whether that will happen or not though :shrug:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/brfd5e/a_quick_rock_band_update/eodfrss/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I took "came late to the game" to mean "not intently watching the rb ecosystem since its alpha". Someone who buys RB4 for XBone off the shelf today and wants to drum basically can't. Plastic guitars are fairly easy to find, and a mic is a mic (unless you're on a Switch, which hates my RB2 mic for some reason?).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

flakeloaf posted:

Someone who buys RB4 for XBone off the shelf today and wants to drum basically can't.

You’ll be glad to know that - based on quick searches of several retailers sites - you can’t easily buy RB4 “off the shelf” anymore. If someone is buying RB4 in 2019 it’s likely being bought as a result of the digital zombification of games that exist available beyond their sell-by-dates

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Someone who buys RB4 for XBone off the shelf today and wants to drum basically can't.

As someone who bought RB4 years ago off the shelf wanting to drum, couldn't then and still can't. Between the pedal double registering and registering as the blue pad for some reason it's impossible to derive any enjoyment from the kit it came with. If it weren't for the fact that I can't get a new one if I wanted to I would have sold mine a couple years back.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I really appreciate the work Harmonix put into navigating the hells of music licensing and pulling off a miracle with RB4.

With that being said, I personally have zero incentive to abandon my RB3 + customs setup on Xbox 360 at this point. I don't have an Xbox One and yeah, it's officially "too late" to get on board. :-/

Really RB4, as a retail product in 2019, is for people who don't keep old consoles around, or who broke/sold/lost their old RB hardware.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

flakeloaf posted:

I took "came late to the game" to mean "not intently watching the rb ecosystem since its alpha". Someone who buys RB4 for XBone off the shelf today and wants to drum basically can't. Plastic guitars are fairly easy to find, and a mic is a mic (unless you're on a Switch, which hates my RB2 mic for some reason?).

Mostly "didn't realize it was a thing". I've played RB since the first game, all on MS consoles (would have bit the bullet to switch to PS4 if I knew what I know now), and up until the last year played primarily guitar or vocals so I never really paid attention to anything.

Then I discovered drums are awesome and I'm getting pretty good at them, maybe I will get a real kit, but it would be cool if I could use it to still play Rock Band because these RB4 drums are struggling, oh neat there's an adapter it's a bit of an awkward solution but I'd tota-oh they're as much as the starter ekit itself gently caress me I guess.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

flakeloaf posted:

Yep, this. My xbone is just my "Rock Band Player" the same way my Wii is my "Smash Bros Player." All my actual good games I get either on Steam or at a thrift store for PS2.

John-311
Apr 1, 2005

Orange Harrison posted:

Warning: Microsoft hosed something up their already clunky, slow content system and had to release a patch for ALL DLC. This fucks over RB players because we now have as much as 2000 updates queued making the game unplayable since you will get constantly spammed with "x needs an update" messages for each song you own making menus impossible to navigate since if you accidentally press A when one pops up, the game closes, and if you do manage to get into a song, the scroll stutters because the Xbone can barely run while patching.

Push start, choose Manage game & add-ons then go to the Updates tab, wait a little bit for the updates to load then you can update many of the songs at once. I was able to update nearly 500 songs at once

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got the music in me tonight and wanted to play some Beatles Rockband. I was going to buy all the DLC but apparently it was closed down 3 years ago. Is it possible to aquire it? Like buying an account that has it all bought, or something crazy? Can 2 profiles set an Xbox as their "home" Xbox or whatever. What about someone that only plays on an Xbox one? Can I use theirs on my 360?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I finally joined the 20th century and got a receiver which has component and optical.
When format should I expect to see when using optical audio in RB3 on the 360?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I tried to add a Yamaha kick tower to my Ion drum rocker, but RB4 sees the orange input as always on now. Is there some sort of analog to digital converter I need, since the original pedal was just a digital button, and the kick pad has analog sensitivity?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

RodShaft posted:

I got the music in me tonight and wanted to play some Beatles Rockband. I was going to buy all the DLC but apparently it was closed down 3 years ago. Is it possible to aquire it? Like buying an account that has it all bought, or something crazy? Can 2 profiles set an Xbox as their "home" Xbox or whatever. What about someone that only plays on an Xbox one? Can I use theirs on my 360?

No, and account sharing on xbox is against the ToS so will get your account banned. Just buy the Beatles CDs and listen to them, I guess. :(

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My pedal is(/was) held together by epoxy, glue, metal brackets, and tape.

Today the little plastic bits that the screws screw into to hold the magnetic sensor in place broke off the rest of the pedal. Not sure how to fix that, so I guess rip Rock Band drums.

Maybe by the time I've finished moving in late July they'll have figured out a fix to the death spiral of hardware for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Pleads posted:

My pedal is(/was) held together by epoxy, glue, metal brackets, and tape.

Today the little plastic bits that the screws screw into to hold the magnetic sensor in place broke off the rest of the pedal. Not sure how to fix that, so I guess rip Rock Band drums.

Maybe by the time I've finished moving in late July they'll have figured out a fix to the death spiral of hardware for this game.

What everyone should actually be hoping for is a decent 360 emulator to be released. Then any of the hardware emulation for any non-standard instruments can be done easily and all customs and everything and it would be great.