Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Baronjutter posted:

YYYY-MM-DD should be standard on penalty of death. Otherwise files and things don't properly alpha-sort by date.
Alpha-sort is the real crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Trabant posted:

I name all my file revisions by including the number of seconds elapsed since 00:00:00.000 January 1st, 1904.

Same except 1970.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Baronjutter posted:

YYYY-MM-DD should be standard on penalty of death. Otherwise files and things don't properly alpha-sort by date.

:soulmate:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Date systems ranked from best to worst:

yyyy-mm-dd
dd-mm-yyyy
days since beginning of 1900
Mayan calendar
mm/dd/yyyy

I will not be taking questions at this time

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Dd-mmm-yyyy

If you really need to shorten it use Julian date I guess

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Reverence posted:

Dd-mmm-yyyy

If you really need to shorten it use Julian date I guess

What's the third month digit?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

What's the third month digit?

Alpha abbreviation of the month (JAN, FEB, MAR, etc) I'm guessing

I do that because people get confused if I do dd-mm-yy, and I can't do the Big Endian date on my checks :cry:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
In my personal date format it's 1,574,639,689. It's easy, just calculate the number of seconds until April 20th 2069.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Brawnfire posted:

And Ricky fucks it up for him every time

Surely you mean Gregory.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

The correct opinion.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
DD-YYYY-MM

Let the world burn

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
DMYDYYMY

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ISO8601 and UTC. Anything else is heresy.

BTW, Americans say "May twenty-ninth twenty nineteen", so that's why 5/29/2019 is the standard there. Euros have enough folks that say "twenty-ninth of May twenty nineteen" so you get 29/5/2019.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bet most languages communicate the date, orally or in their long form, as day/month/year

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Moist von Lipwig posted:

In my personal date format it's 1,574,639,689. It's easy, just calculate the number of seconds until April 20th 2069.

20/04/2069?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I guess they really look forward to Hitler's 180th birthday

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

ISO8601 and UTC. Anything else is heresy.

BTW, Americans say "May twenty-ninth twenty nineteen", so that's why 5/29/2019 is the standard there. Euros have enough folks that say "twenty-ninth of May twenty nineteen" so you get 29/5/2019.

Also because then it goes small-medium-big instead of medium-small-big which makes no sense.

DD-MM-YYYY and YYYY-MM-DD are the only acceptable ones because otherwise you're mixing up the order.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

HisMajestyBOB posted:

But then Europeans would get confused by dates like 2019-05-28 and think it's the "2019th day of May, 2028".

I think you're confused about Europeans.

All the European contries that I've worked with prefer the ISO date format. Maybe the British use day-month-year but screw them, they're leaving anyway.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

In one of Vernor Vinge's far-future space opera books there's a far-flung interstellar human civilization, so widespread and old that Earth is a distant memory. They have a bunch of different languages and cultures and tech levels and stuff but all of them have some legacy computer systems way at the bottom of their stuff, and the only common timing system they have across everything is a counter of seconds that are widely believed to be counting time since humans first landed on their original homeworld's moon; but the real knowitalls are aware that it's actually offset by several months for some unknown reason.

(Vernor Vinge is an old-school computer science guy and knows very well that you can never get rid of legacy systems.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

But then Europeans would get confused by dates like 2019-05-28 and think it's the "2019th day of May, 2028".

This actually happened, by the way; when a bunch of Labour MPs split from the party to form their own, there was a common talking point that they were really set up in 2015 because their website was registered on 15 February, and they didn’t read the WHOIS record correctly.

A similar talking point was that they were a really Panamanian company because they used a domain privacy service (which they would’ve automatically availed themselves of anyway if they used a .uk domain)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

TinTower posted:

A similar talking point was that they were a really Panamanian company because they used a domain privacy service (which they would’ve automatically availed themselves of anyway if they used a .uk domain)

Is that why I keep seeing Panama in the proxy logs?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Aleph Null posted:

Is that why I keep seeing Panama in the proxy logs?

Panama has insanely good privacy laws, so a lot of VPN services have endpoints there.

GoDaddy domain anonymisation service utilises those same laws.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

vyelkin posted:

Also because then it goes small-medium-big instead of medium-small-big which makes no sense.

DD-MM-YYYY and YYYY-MM-DD are the only acceptable ones because otherwise you're mixing up the order.

That's not how language works, mate.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Groke posted:

In one of Vernor Vinge's far-future space opera books there's a far-flung interstellar human civilization, so widespread and old that Earth is a distant memory. They have a bunch of different languages and cultures and tech levels and stuff but all of them have some legacy computer systems way at the bottom of their stuff, and the only common timing system they have across everything is a counter of seconds that are widely believed to be counting time since humans first landed on their original homeworld's moon; but the real knowitalls are aware that it's actually offset by several months for some unknown reason.

(Vernor Vinge is an old-school computer science guy and knows very well that you can never get rid of legacy systems.)

he's also a complete nutter who actually believes in the Nerd Rapture

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mr. Fix It posted:

language...mate.

Ouch

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

That's not how language works, mate.

Today is, in fact, thirty May 2019.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Le 30 mai 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Somfin posted:

Everything is just an increasing list of _final and (X)

Today is day_final(7)_final(28)_final_final_really(2).docx

oh hey it's the naming system for my Masters

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Somfin posted:

Everything is just an increasing list of _final and (X)

Today is day_final(7)_final(28)_final_final_really(2).docx

The preferred system for apocalypse cults everywhere

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I noticed the other day that British newspapers seem to use Month Day Year, so I'm gonna just assume it's like the metric system in that the British have managed to choose the most objectively wrong way possible.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AnoHito posted:

I noticed the other day that British newspapers seem to use Month Day Year, so I'm gonna just assume it's like the metric system in that the British have managed to choose the most objectively wrong way possible.

They do it as like JAN 04 1996 though right?
Month first is fine if you're spelling out the month, then there's no ambiguity, though I'm still not sure why you would.

The information you need most often is the changed digit, and that is most of the time the day, then the month, then the year.
I understand why the ISO format is what it is, but for day to day use ddmmyyyy is just better.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

mehall posted:

They do it as like JAN 04 1996 though right?
Month first is fine if you're spelling out the month, then there's no ambiguity, though I'm still not sure why you would.

Still makes no sense why they all seem to consistently do it that way when the rest of the country does it the other way

quote:

The information you need most often is the changed digit, and that is most of the time the day, then the month, then the year.
I understand why the ISO format is what it is, but for day to day use ddmmyyyy is just better.

This is complete nonsense. You need all three parts of the date for it to make any sense, possibly excluding the year. Unless you mean it should go by order of importance, but that leaves you with...YYYY-MM-DD. or MM-DD-YYYY if you don't care much for the year.

Of course this argument is useless anyway since people are just gonna rationalize the way they're used to as objectively superior for whatever reasons when it's really just personal preference.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Linear time is an illusion, you vapid slut

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Still makes no sense why they all seem to consistently do it that way when the rest of the country does it the other way

This is complete nonsense. You need all three parts of the date for it to make any sense, possibly excluding the year. Unless you mean it should go by order of importance, but that leaves you with...YYYY-MM-DD. or MM-DD-YYYY if you don't care much for the year.

Of course this argument is useless anyway since people are just gonna rationalize the way they're used to as objectively superior for whatever reasons when it's really just personal preference.

It depends on your purpose, sure, but in my line of work I'm looking for log files, and I'm gonna be looking for ones from a certain recent date 99% of the time, so the most important one for me is finding the latest logs, and then finding the nearby day of the month (occasionally crossing month borders obviously)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Memento posted:

oh hey it's the naming system for my Masters

The final version of my thesis was named „OH poo poo MASTERS_1.docx“ and I totally forgot to rename it before I sent it to my prof :downs:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Say what you will about the US and the metric system, but like with the date, at least the US loving commits, unlike the half-metric insanity going on in the rest of the anglosphere.

Gimme Full Imperial every day before some hosed up hybrid system. A 3.2 mile run on 5/30/2019 in beautiful 70-degree temperatures, followed up with a few quarts of water! Eat poo poo Europe!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
but bottled water is metric

:downs: e: oh that's the point It's too early

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The US is nowhere near fully imperial anymore and you're about to be not an empire anymore :smuggo:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
If I say "30", then that offers zero context. There are 11 "30"s scattered throughout the calendar. The next word, May, is absolutely required for any time context.

If I say "May", then you have context. You know concretely that the date about to be discussed is in a single 1/12th block of the calendar. Then "30" narrows it down to a single date.

Thus, "May 30" is objectively superior to "30 May". :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Say what you will about the US and the metric system, but like with the date, at least the US loving commits, unlike the half-metric insanity going on in the rest of the anglosphere.

Gimme Full Imperial every day before some hosed up hybrid system. A 3.2 mile run on 5/30/2019 in beautiful 70-degree temperatures, followed up with a few quarts of water! Eat poo poo Europe!
The US literally defines an inch as 25.4mm.