Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
P sure noregret is actually higher mmr in BW than artosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Really? It feels like half the things noregret say are explicitly based off of his experience in SC2.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man the matches have been pretty onesided so far

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
That sure is alot of 3-0's. Atleast Tastosis are back. :)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Elyv posted:

Really? It feels like half the things noregret say are explicitly based off of his experience in SC2.

Most sc2 pros these days are playing some BW too and anyone with gsl level mechanics is going to be a lot closer to pro-level in scbw once they learn the micro tricks than artosis is at whatever high-mid mmr he is sitting at these days. At the end of the day dude has like 3 or 4 kids and only an hour or two to practice a day and he's impressively good for that limitation, but it's keeping his ability strictly limited.

E: tbf to artosis, dude does have incredibly extensive knowledge of the history of the BW meta and of the BW proscene in general. Rapid somehow knows a fuckton about the bw scene yet surprisingly little about the game relative to everyone else casting BW.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 30, 2019

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Yeah Rapid is definitely the black sheep of them. He is alright at casting in a reactionary format but the distance between him and artosis/tasteless when it comes to prediction and strategy is a huge void in his performance. He reminds me of chess players in how beginners focus on the individual pieces and the moves being made in the moment, whereas the experts look at the entire board layout at a glance and go "he's going to checkmate in seven moves." It shows when the tasteless and artosis know almost exactly what is going to unfold just from the first minute of the game, whereas Rapid has no loving clue what the strategy is and is focusing entirely on the tactical aspects until the "gg" shows up. Rapid isn't bad at casting, per se. He's just really bad at broodwar for whatever reason.

Even NoRegret has been picking up on things faster, and his background isn't broodwar originally.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 1, 2019

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The cycle of 3-0 wins finally starts to get to me as the matches continue to be one sided wash-outs : - (. Game 3 of Queen vs Sharp is a very good example of how Tastosis can predict the entire course of the game from the opening minutes...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

why the gently caress are people still trying to make that idiotic goliath tvz build work, it's so fuckin bad :psyduck:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Entorwellian posted:

Yeah Rapid is definitely the black sheep of them. He is alright at casting in a reactionary format but the distance between him and artosis/tasteless when it comes to prediction and strategy is a huge void in his performance. He reminds me of chess players in how beginners focus on the individual pieces and the moves being made in the moment, whereas the experts look at the entire board layout at a glance and go "he's going to checkmate in seven moves." It shows when the tasteless and artosis know almost exactly what is going to unfold just from the first minute of the game, whereas Rapid has no loving clue what the strategy is and is focusing entirely on the tactical aspects until the "gg" shows up. Rapid isn't bad at casting, per se. He's just really bad at broodwar for whatever reason.

Even NoRegret has been picking up on things faster, and his background isn't broodwar originally.

my prob with rapid is more the way he casts. his fake excitement (which may be overcompensation for not knowing wtf is going on) is really obvious and grating.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011
Someone here said it best. Rapid is Reddit given flesh. An unholy union of fake hype and wanna be Chris Hardwick.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

HOLY gently caress FORGG VS MINI GAME 4 :psyboom:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Yeah, enjoyed both sets today, even the Z vs Z one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That last game lmfao.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah. Never heard Tasteless doing the excited declaration voice over such slow and incremental on-screen action before; it was nevertheless entirely justified.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

why the gently caress are people still trying to make that idiotic goliath tvz build work, it's so fuckin bad :psyduck:

Just Use Valkyries(tm)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Last vs Rain was a really badass series. Might have to watch again. I feel like Last will destroy Stork though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

forgg vs mini g4 oh my God. Imagine if forgg had been just a tiny bit more patient and killed the nexus above his original main.

Stork JD g3 was also an excellent game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
loving baffled by stork's performance after looking so underwhelming a couple of weeks ago

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

stork is going to win ksl holy moly

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is there a translation for the Voices of Legend commercial out there anywhere? After seeing it so many times, I'm dying to know what's going on in that narrative.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Holy poo poo Stork won I'm so happy favorite player ever despite being Protoss

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

no zergs advance past ro8 :whitewater:

e: no terrans advance past ro8 either :whitewater::whitewater:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 24, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no zergs advance past ro8 :whitewater:

e: no terrans advance past ro8 either :whitewater::whitewater:

Tossed out of the competition.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Where is Flash when you need him?

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Just got caught up with the ro8 matches and daaamn that first real battle in stork v best game 1 :allears: stork nailed that timing just before the reaver came out, and the goon target firing was perfect

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Loiku posted:

Where is Flash when you need him?

his wrists are hosed and he's taking a break, not sure if/when he'll be back

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a cow posted:

Just got caught up with the ro8 matches and daaamn that first real battle in stork v best game 1 :allears: stork nailed that timing just before the reaver came out, and the goon target firing was perfect

bummed as i am about nothing but mirror matches from here on out, it'll all be worth it if stork wins ksl.

and he gonna win ksl.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

what's gonna happen in the meta now? I remember Protoss being stupidly dominant against Zerg because Corsairs are so easy to produce and Zerg doesn't seem to have a decent counter to it that doesn't leave them exposed elsewhere.

Like, I think it's cool to see how dominant one race can be but at the same time doesn't anyone else find it kind of boring that we have a final four that is all Protoss?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
(Ro8 spoilers)

Not terribly excited at the prospect of watching up to 21 PvPs in a row.

I'm not sure if Stork can beat Rain but I didn't think he could 3-0 Jaedong, Last, and Best either, so I hope he takes it all the way.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NoDamage posted:

(Ro8 spoilers)

Not terribly excited at the prospect of watching up to 21 PvPs in a row.

I'm not sure if Stork can beat Rain but I didn't think he could 3-0 Jaedong, Last, and Best either, so I hope he takes it all the way.

That's a wonderful thing, because it makes it statistically more and more likely that we could see a Scout being built :allears:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 29, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aces High posted:

what's gonna happen in the meta now? I remember Protoss being stupidly dominant against Zerg because Corsairs are so easy to produce and Zerg doesn't seem to have a decent counter to it that doesn't leave them exposed elsewhere.

Like, I think it's cool to see how dominant one race can be but at the same time doesn't anyone else find it kind of boring that we have a final four that is all Protoss?

Protoss being dominant against Zerg is a new thing, the traditional triangle is T > Z > P >= T

anyway next set of leagues there are probably going to be some pretty anti-Protoss maps and hopefully the Zergs figure out how to deal with the latest P innovations of fewer archons and early zealot pressure

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I hope Defiler teching for PLAYGU becomes a thing. Having your army become permanently 50-70% less survivable is pretty huge.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Defilers are really good against Protoss(they're really good against everybody), the problem is surviving the midgame phase with a functioning economy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

That's a wonderful thing, because it makes it statistically more and more likely that we could see a Scout being built :allears:

:yeshaha:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Elyv posted:

Protoss being dominant against Zerg is a new thing, the traditional triangle is T > Z > P >= T

well I guess that's what I mean, looking through previous KSL and ASL (at least since they re-surged about 3 years ago) I remember matches being a lot more even keeled so what happened here, did people just decide to :effort: out of the tournament or something?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aces High posted:

well I guess that's what I mean, looking through previous KSL and ASL (at least since they re-surged about 3 years ago) I remember matches being a lot more even keeled so what happened here, did people just decide to :effort: out of the tournament or something?

As someone who has basically always been exclusively or near-exclusively a spectator, here's what it seems to me:

There have been a couple recent Protoss innovations. Gate first and other random zealot pressure can't put P ahead at the pro level I think, but it means that you know what Zerg is doing. It used to be that between the scouting probe dying and the first corsair arriving at Zerg's base the map was entirely dark for Protoss and it felt like every time I saw a fast hydra bust it would always work, but with the zealots constantly meandering all over the place it's really hard for zerg to hide what they're doing for all that long.
The second one is different Protoss army comps, Protoss used to mix in an archon or two into every army and now they don't and just have even more storms. The result is that zerg don't get free early game wins anymore and the protoss midgame army is better.

There's also probably an element of maps and fluky random chance. Back in like, 2009 I think? There was an MSL where the top 8 was 6 Terrans and 2 Zerg. Just happened that right at that point there were a lot of good terrans and the map pool was T favored.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

quote:

well I guess that's what I mean, looking through previous KSL and ASL (at least since they re-surged about 3 years ago) I remember matches being a lot more even keeled so what happened here, did people just decide to out of the tournament or something?

I think it's more just by chance, look at group stages - both Miso and Action won their first Bo5 against Protoss (3-1, and 3-0) and couple of weeks later they were defeated by the very same players.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the dream is dead :qq:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I feel ya buddy :( Still, I hope he keeps it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

:qq:

at least it was a better series than rain trashing snow