Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S405 $280 shipped with code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My TCL55R617 arrived today! It's beautiful!

I need to do the calibration but I was just super hype to get it out of the box. What other tests should I run to look for issues with the panel?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watch a range of content that covers your main uses for the screen and see if there are any flaws that jump out at you that stop you enjoying it. Dont run uniformity, %age grey tests, or any other nerd poo poo unless you absolutely need to for some specific reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cool, I'll play some Xbox and watch a bunch of stupid poo poo on YouTube.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Cool, I'll play some Xbox and watch a bunch of stupid poo poo on YouTube.

Here, I have the perfect video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgzUCR6nQQw

And also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J6urFp8YZ0

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of that TV, TCL is just going to come pick up the TV and give me a full refund. I'll probably just get the same TV or 65" version.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gangnam reference posted:

I'm just curious: has anyone upgrade from an LG OLED B/C6 to a higher year's revision? Is the difference actually notable? I got the B6 about 2 years ago for ~1500 (thanks microcenter), and I can't really imagine what would push me to upgrade at this point besides just dimensions (55" loser here)

I'll give you three fiddy?

Half joking, as for some reason I'm still loathe to upgrade to an OLED.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAJKJ8K89174

LG C8 77" 4K HDR Dolby Atmos Smart TV with AI ThinQ OLED77C8PUA

$3900 free shipping.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Apparently Hisense plans to have their weird LCD with sorta per pixel local dimming in stores next year.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/with-the-uled-xd-hisense-aims-to-beat-oled-tvs/

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

GreenNight posted:

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAJKJ8K89174

LG C8 77" 4K HDR Dolby Atmos Smart TV with AI ThinQ OLED77C8PUA

$3900 free shipping.

Is it just me or is this an absolutely insane deal?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Is it just me or is this an absolutely insane deal?

It is, although there seller (gameliquidations) may not be an authorized retailer so warranty may be an issue. Greentoe is currently accepting 4200 for the tv (and I've read 4000 for some), which would still be a better price due to no tax but also from an authorized retailer if anyone is interested.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Monday_ posted:

Apparently Hisense plans to have their weird LCD with sorta per pixel local dimming in stores next year.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/with-the-uled-xd-hisense-aims-to-beat-oled-tvs/

CNET got a demo
https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/could-hisenses-crazy-uled-xd-dual-panel-lcd-tech-challenge-oled-tv/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ULED is a full seven more than OLED and five more than QLED, it should be amazing. I bet somebody has ZLED trademarked already.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

qirex posted:

ULED is a full seven more than OLED and five more than QLED, it should be amazing. I bet somebody has ZLED trademarked already.

I take OLED now, ZLED come next week.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Call it ΩLED, put it on the shelf next to OLED and QLED

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

With the way OLED prices have been dropping over the last year, they're going to start having a difficult time finding a pricing niche for the upper end LCDs.

Which reminds me that I was at Costco over the weekend and they are still selling the 55" C8 for $2500 :wow: Literally more than double what you can buy it for from reputable online dealers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BeastOfExmoor posted:

With the way OLED prices have been dropping over the last year, they're going to start having a difficult time finding a pricing niche for the upper end LCDs.

Which reminds me that I was at Costco over the weekend and they are still selling the 55" C8 for $2500 :wow: Literally more than double what you can buy it for from reputable online dealers.
The sad part is a ton of people probably still buy them.

My uncle just bought a "top of the line 65 inch LG LCD" tv for who knows how much. I didn't even have the heart to ask him how much he payed when he told me because I'd just get depressed for him.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I was just at Costco this weekend and they wanted $3500 for a 65'' C still!!! Course it was a C9 so that's not that unexpected, may be what he got.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S405 $300 shipped: Amazon, WalMart

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Another 77" OLED deal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253507369473?ul_noapp=true

$3895

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i got a bid accepted on greentoe for a b8. now greentoe support is asking me for a picture of my drivers license for 'fraud prevention'. seems suspect. never been asked for ID for an online purchase.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I have the TCL 6 series. Fire up Netflix built in app, its a 4K Dolby Vision show. Plenty of bandwidth. The show looks incredible, dont get me wrong, but how can I tell if DV is actually enabled? The picture mode says movie, no other settings indicate anything.

Still new to 4K and HDR modes, sorry if this is a dumb q.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It should pop up the Dolby vision logo on the Netflix animation start.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, you are subbed to the UHD tier right?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thanks. I dont get any sort of DV logo on the white Netflix animation. So something isnt right, then. I have the ultra plan, TV software is updated, I have DV notifications setting enabled on the TV, I have plenty of bandwidth. Cant think of what else the problem would be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What show and what season are you watching?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
You can get into debug mode in Netflix by (I think) hitting the * button while looking at the show TITLE or the main screen, before hitting play. That should give you some more info on what it is trying to do.

EDIT: On the built in Rokus on the TCLs anyway. I think stand alone Rokus the * works during the show.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 24, 2019

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I didnt think about the season thing for shows. After checking the Googles, only season 2 of Stranger Things is DV. Mystery solved.

Awesome tip on the debug thing too. Thank you!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That first scene in S2E1 with the arcade is a good HDR test scene

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

crestfallen posted:

I didn’t think about the season thing for shows. After checking the Googles, only season 2 of Stranger Things is DV. Mystery solved.

Awesome tip on the debug thing too. Thank you!

Yup, that was the reason for my question. Some shows switched partway thought, but the whole thing has the badge in the overview.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally looking to get back in the 4k game after six months of *spits on floor* 1080p resolution.

Is the 55" LG B8 a good choice? Coming from a Samsung KS8000 (2016, broke while moving), it should be an improvement, no? It's like $1,200 AUD cheaper than the 65" and the 2019 models are just absurd.

Also for some reason Aussies measure TVs in inches despite not knowing what they are.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yes enjoy your lovely new tv

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Most of the upgrades the C9 has have gamers in mind. Lower input lag in game mode, ALLM (auto low latency mode), game mode doesn't force you to use "wide" color gamuts anymore (so you can have a closer to developer intent image even while gaming), HDMI 2.1 ports promising 4k120hz signals at some future date when devices that have HDMI 2.1 exist.

eARC is another big feature, but if you have a receiver with 4k passthrough and no concern for any additional processing or lag time that might happen by feeding a signal to your receiver first, it's also a non-issue. If your primary use case is going to be passive content, buy last years OLED and enjoy it for like half the price of this years model.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Most of the upgrades the C9 has have gamers in mind. Lower input lag in game mode, ALLM (auto low latency mode), game mode doesn't force you to use "wide" color gamuts anymore (so you can have a closer to developer intent image even while gaming), HDMI 2.1 ports promising 4k120hz signals at some future date when devices that have HDMI 2.1 exist.

eARC is another big feature, but if you have a receiver with 4k passthrough and no concern for any additional processing or lag time that might happen by feeding a signal to your receiver first, it's also a non-issue. If your primary use case is going to be passive content, buy last years OLED and enjoy it for like half the price of this years model.

Thx, I think I may be retired from gaming due to chronic hand pain and declining reaction time (39 years old) making it significantly less fun. Just need a decent tv.

Watch me buy a ps5/xbox two anyway. Then an 8K tv in 3-4 years.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have the LG SK8000? I've been eyeing it for awhile. Its down to under $600 for 55" on newegg, and I'm sure I'll get it cheaper if I go go my local store which always price matches and then some (Video Only). I can't seem to justify the $1k price for their OLEDs.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

seiferguy posted:

Anyone have the LG SK8000? I've been eyeing it for awhile. Its down to under $600 for 55" on newegg, and I'm sure I'll get it cheaper if I go go my local store which always price matches and then some (Video Only). I can't seem to justify the $1k price for their OLEDs.

Unless you're like, LGs biggest fan or something, I would get the 55" 6 series TCL for less money.

edit: it's $499 at best buy, which is what I paid for mine on Black Friday.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Looking to replace an older Vizio with a 4k around 75" for Xbox one x and smart TV stuff. Is the TCL617 in 75" the proper target? I'm not looking to spend OLED money, especially since I doubt I'll even be able to give away the old one.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

I don't have it, but based on everything I've read, it has poor black levels and poor local dimming. (And is not very bright). About all it has going for it, is a decent viewing angle (since it's an IPS panel). Unless you need the viewing angle, almost anything else would be better. Below is a detailed review.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sk8000

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm looking to get a TCL 50DP648, I haven't bought a TV in years and have an old Sony Bravia HD. However I now have a PS4 Pro so want a 4k tv to go with it. I take it from some recent posts in here the OP advice about avoiding Asian brands I've never heard of can be discounted regarding TCL?

Also, if anyone has tips on wallmounting a tv and concealing a games console dyring the process that would be awesome because my wife is not happy about that happening unless the PS4 is invisible after wall mounting (currently everything is on an old stand).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Number_6 posted:

I don't have it, but based on everything I've read, it has poor black levels and poor local dimming. (And is not very bright). About all it has going for it, is a decent viewing angle (since it's an IPS panel). Unless you need the viewing angle, almost anything else would be better. Below is a detailed review.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sk8000

Thanks. I think the more I read about the panel the less enthusiastic I am about it. I've never heard of TCL so I'm starting to read into them more.

Speaking of TCL, their 65R617 is on sale at Walmart and Amazon for $720:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-65-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160p-Dolby-Vision-HDR-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-65R617/408612902

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-65R617-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079NJMFL8?ascsubtag=998e11b47abc35b354ad7f27d17705689d372a3a&tag=kinjadeals-20

If you buy through an Amazon credit card you get 15% cash back.