Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Chaos Sorcerer seems fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

change my name posted:

Chaos Sorcerer seems fun

If anything, the Wildmage needs more ways to intentionally trigger Wild Surges.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah my only complaint is its left up to the DM on whether they roll or not.

Just another thing the DM has to keep track of which is bad design. When I run I don't act like I know what everyone can do, I tell them to explain to me what the spell/ability does. Might I actually know? Maybe... But it reinforces their own knowledge.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah pretty much. My suggestion was absolutely tongue-in-cheek, but there's a number of straight-forward solutions for fixing Wild Mages and they all revolve around making surges automatic and rewriting the surge tables one way or another. The mechanic is great, it's just the implementation that is the issue.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Potions as a bonus action. Mechanically rebuild characters if something isn't working out (you took bad spells or would prefer a different fighting style or your archetype isn't working out).

Gnomes are stealth banned but it never comes up.

That's it. I'd rather know and let everyone be aware of the bad options, and work around them, than come up with two dozen different houserules to try and patch them up.

Customizing backgrounds is in the rules, and lets you swap languages with tool proficiencies. It's not even marked as optional or anything.

I haven't played 5e yet, what's wrong with gnomes?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

uncertainty posted:

I haven't played 5e yet, what's wrong with gnomes?

No racial identity or niche whatsoever.

They only exist to play into jewish stereotypes.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's not true at all, they neatly fill the "short + wizard" gap in the otherwise perfectly filled (if purely notional) "class related stat bonuses by average racial height" table.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A chunk of Mordenkainen's was even about Gnomes.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I generally just merge goblins and gnomes together, but I also generally just make Half-Orcs into, you know... Orcs.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Conspiratiorist posted:

They only exist to play into jewish stereotypes.

I was going to say that dwarves play into Jewish stereotypes, too, but dwarves have some other things going for them while the Jewish stereotype stuff is almost completely contained by the dwarf-gnome overlap. What even are the meaningful ways they're different from both dwarves and halflings?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Honestly, all the races need the kind of cultural writeups and background that various elves and dwarves get. Underground tinker gnomes are different from forest smurfs are different from metropolitan gnomes. Metropolitan nations/cities might have "natives" of multiple races who act more like New Yorkers than they do elves/dwarves/humans, and different nations might have different cultures from each other that cross racial lines, without being divided into good/neutral god-worshippers and psycho evil cults.

Basically, 3.5 Eberron's setting description puts most other setting descriptions to shame in terms of giving you personality traits beyond "is a gnome" and "is a goblin" and "is a high elf," based on nationality, guild membership, etc.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Conspiratiorist posted:

Potions as a bonus action. Mechanically rebuild characters if something isn't working out (you took bad spells or would prefer a different fighting style or your archetype isn't working out).

Gnomes are stealth banned but it never comes up.

That's it. I'd rather know and let everyone be aware of the bad options, and work around them, than come up with two dozen different houserules to try and patch them up.

Customizing backgrounds is in the rules, and lets you swap languages with tool proficiencies. It's not even marked as optional or anything.

- backgrounds: no more features, i hate this, skills and items only
- no inspiration
- initiative I stole from LOTFP(each side rolls 1d6 and highest wins)
- melee only classes add naked d20 roll to hit damage past level 5
- gently caress DEATH SAVING THROWS, roll on my custom death and dismemberment table
- Replaced advantage and disadvantage with the DCC Dice Chain system
- LotFP encumbrance
- Potency: permaburn 1 ability score point to autohit with an attack spell, then either a) max effect or b) cast it at a higher spell slot

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- no inspiration
- gently caress DEATH SAVING THROWS, roll on my custom death and dismemberment table
- LotFP encumbrance
- Potency: permaburn 1 ability score point to autohit with an attack spell, then either a) max effect or b) cast it at a higher spell slot

Please say this is a Grognards.txt quote

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

lightrook posted:

I was going to say that dwarves play into Jewish stereotypes, too, but dwarves have some other things going for them while the Jewish stereotype stuff is almost completely contained by the dwarf-gnome overlap. What even are the meaningful ways they're different from both dwarves and halflings?

Neither dwarves nor halflings get +int so gnomes are your guys for short + wizard.

You can stop looking for complexity because there isn't any.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Houserules? Got a couple. I've always seen 5e as a usable toolkit to easily modify so after playing a few games in it I've modified it quite a bit.

-Critical Hit and Critical Fumble Decks.
-Lingering Injuries to prevent weeble-wobble combat
-Ways to spend Hit Dice to do cool poo poo besides healing, based on Class/Race combinations
-More interesting travel/survival systems
-Alchemy subsystem since magic is less common
-Universal Martial Maneuvers to buff the martials
-Weapon abilities to do the same
-simple equipment damage/degradation system to get people spending money

and then there's stuff I've got tucked away and may never end up using like some Stronghold and Airship guidelines if the party ever decides they want to turn their wilderness exploration adventurer's guild campaign into something larger. It sounds like a lot but they're all typically so unconnected from each other that it's easy to keep track of, usually just requiring a few simple notes and some extra resource tracking. I'm a very "let the cool poo poo happen" DM but some of my players are creativity-starved so introducing stuff like "Greatswords can hit 2 targets for 1d6 each" and "you can mix these two herbs together to make a poison bomb" that they don't need to GM-May-I me to do makes them feel really satisfied with their options.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Just DM'ed yesterday (first ever, pulled it off pretty well) and through a combination of laziness and rule of cool I let the 16 str Tortle player attempt 5 feet shoves as part of his movement. It was also born out of the dungeon being kind of small and the group being big, and I might be somewhat close to the real rule anyway, but who cares, it makes my cousin happy.

Might use that healing potions are a bonus action rule, seems like it would help the party's action economy.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Infinite Karma posted:

Please say this is a Grognards.txt quote

It is now!

Edit: Please understand my group is hella into this kind of DnD. They'd play OSR, but OSR is a little too rough on them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if, as a DM, you ever give your players special items or abilities, you may want to consider given them a special action, reserved for using that and only that class of abilities/items, to encourage their use, because even Bonus Actions have their own action economy that your custom stuff is going to have to compete with.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordenkainen posted:

Elminster calls gnomes the Forgotten Folk — an apt name for them in most worlds. I’ve walked many realms, and nary a one has even a hint of a gnome nation.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

Basically, 3.5 Eberron's setting description puts most other setting descriptions to shame in terms of giving you personality traits beyond "is a gnome" and "is a goblin" and "is a high elf," based on nationality, guild membership, etc.

I read an Eberron book where the guy was implied to have banged an evil gnome wizard and his friends were like "Wait, how does that work, does she Enlarge herself or Reduce you, or...?" and he was all "Shutup I don't want to talk about it."

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Assuming gnomes are proportionate.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

House rules:
I let players redistribute one ability point on a race to any other ability provided it doesn't amount to +3. So like a Kenku can be 2dex 1 wiz, 1dex 2wis, 1dex 1wis 1X, but not 3dex. This makes a lot of uncommon starting combinations playable.
I'm a bit strict about movement through players and cover, but if an interposing creature is prone or one size smaller, you can attack over them without cover.
Subject to smell test, players can change weapons in combat beyond the single free object interaction. The goal is that a fighter shouldn't be penalized for picking the appropriate weapon for the job, while I will absolutely require casters to keep their poo poo in order
Assassinate works the way most players think it works instead of how it actually works
I haven't got to use this one yet but my plan is to move Hex Warrior to Pact of the Blade. The goal is to make Hexblade stop being a no-brainer 1-level dip and to open bladelock to the patrons that are actually interesting.

Otherwise, I run one of the more rules-strict tables, which honestly might as well be a house rule as rarely as I see it.

edit: I've been thinking about formalizing a system for letting players unilaterally withdraw from combat as an action in civilized settings and stuff. So if Stickyfingers the Rogue decides everyone in the world is a fair pickpocket target and gets caught in town, everyone is no longer in a pitched fight to the death against city guard. Basically I'd much rather deal with the players bailing someone out of jail or whatever than completely throwing out whatever story we were working on because the most violent player has unilateral veto over everything.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 28, 2019

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Our group this weekend took on a Rakasha monk in a rocky meadow that was overlapped by Pandemonium. Basically it gave the DM an excuse to break out the 2nd edition Wild Magic rules and screw with us. Anytime anyone cast a spell he checked for a surge. If there was a surge he had the player roll two d10's. He'd take both numbers and check both listings on the table (a 1 and a 4 would mean a check on '14' and '41') and he'd pick whichever one seemed "more appropriate," which also meant "whichever one amused me more."

Aside from a moment I'll call "Clown Bukkake," it went both ways. Sometimes the monk took the brunt of it (like a AoE Shocking Grasp), sometimes the party took the brunt of it (motherfucking Memory Moss), but it worked out in the end as a surge on a Wall of Force saw the monk hit by Reverse Gravity as well which allowed us to make our escape.

I definitely wouldn't want to deal with surges in every session or every combat, but they definitely spiced up the encounter and made the casters a little more wary of what they were doing. Even a simple 1st Cure Wounds ended up triggering a surge.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

House rule: for critical hits, I do max damage and then players get to roll again. So if a strength 16 fighter crits with a shortsword they roll 1d6+3+9(9 being the max of 1d6+3)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

House rule: for critical hits, I do max damage and then players get to roll again. So if a strength 16 fighter crits with a shortsword they roll 1d6+3+9(9 being the max of 1d6+3)
It's a pretty common rule: everyone, including the gms, hate when their crits do less damage than a normal hit.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Infinite Karma posted:

Honestly, all the races need the kind of cultural writeups and background that various elves and dwarves get. Underground tinker gnomes are different from forest smurfs are different from metropolitan gnomes. Metropolitan nations/cities might have "natives" of multiple races who act more like New Yorkers than they do elves/dwarves/humans, and different nations might have different cultures from each other that cross racial lines, without being divided into good/neutral god-worshippers and psycho evil cults.

Thing is Gnomes had a distinct cultural identity once. They were bottom-rung Fey and became masters of stealth and illusion because everything in the Feywild wanted to eat or enslave them. As a consequence they were a cagey people and "I've never been in a Gnome village" was more a statement that Gnomes really REALLY had to trust you to invite you into the community.

But that was 4e so it counted as a snowflake race and Gnomes got rolled back to pointy red hats or clockwork toys.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Kaal posted:

Yeah pretty much. My suggestion was absolutely tongue-in-cheek, but there's a number of straight-forward solutions for fixing Wild Mages and they all revolve around making surges automatic and rewriting the surge tables one way or another. The mechanic is great, it's just the implementation that is the issue.

I have a Wild Magic dude in my home game and I have two house rules to make sure his one class feature actually sees use:

1. No DM discretion on surges, it's part of the class so It Just Happens.
2. When casting a spell, roll a d20. If the roll is less than or equal to the level of the spell, Wild Surge.

The PC also strangely has the highest strength of the whole party, so he's not afraid to wade into melee if he needs to. Getting Magic Advantage on an axe swing then casting next turn and getting an automatic Surge has led to some pretty fun moments.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- no inspiration
- LotFP encumbrance

How does LotFP handle encumbrance? I feel like every game should steal BitDs post hoc slot system, but always keen to read alternatives

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How does LotFP handle encumbrance? I feel like every game should steal BitDs post hoc slot system, but always keen to read alternatives

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20r82e6mocobr3q/5e%20Inventory%20Tracking%20Sheet.pdf?dl=0

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Fumbles posted:

Houserules? Got a couple. I've always seen 5e as a usable toolkit to easily modify so after playing a few games in it I've modified it quite a bit.

-Critical Hit and Critical Fumble Decks.
-Lingering Injuries to prevent weeble-wobble combat
-Ways to spend Hit Dice to do cool poo poo besides healing, based on Class/Race combinations
-More interesting travel/survival systems
-Alchemy subsystem since magic is less common
-Universal Martial Maneuvers to buff the martials
-Weapon abilities to do the same
-simple equipment damage/degradation system to get people spending money

and then there's stuff I've got tucked away and may never end up using like some Stronghold and Airship guidelines if the party ever decides they want to turn their wilderness exploration adventurer's guild campaign into something larger. It sounds like a lot but they're all typically so unconnected from each other that it's easy to keep track of, usually just requiring a few simple notes and some extra resource tracking. I'm a very "let the cool poo poo happen" DM but some of my players are creativity-starved so introducing stuff like "Greatswords can hit 2 targets for 1d6 each" and "you can mix these two herbs together to make a poison bomb" that they don't need to GM-May-I me to do makes them feel really satisfied with their options.
Some similar houserules to us!
I'm curious about the cool poo poo Hit Dice spendings?
What alchemy system are you using? We're using comprehensive equipment manual poisons / alchemy section and monster harvesting tables off DMs guild.
Travel / survival stuff felt super redundant with our druid & ranger to the point where their contribution is invisible aside from fluff DM remarks. I'd read some new systems though if it makes what they do more visible or interesting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Azza Bamboo posted:

Wood elves are slightly Irish. They use flavourful, passionate language like a stereotypical Italian would, but can be quite blunt.

I thought wood elves were basically Picts, except we know even less about them and they are even less friendly to outsiders.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like wood elves being pictish.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wild surges are a thing the player should invoke on purpose to get access to a benefit, it being a random thing that only happens sometimes is stupid.

It should also be more generalized so that the DM can make stuff up as appropriate but that's so far outisde 5e's wheelhouse it's probably not worth discussing.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

clusterfuck posted:

Some similar houserules to us!
I'm curious about the cool poo poo Hit Dice spendings?
What alchemy system are you using? We're using comprehensive equipment manual poisons / alchemy section and monster harvesting tables off DMs guild.
Travel / survival stuff felt super redundant with our druid & ranger to the point where their contribution is invisible aside from fluff DM remarks. I'd read some new systems though if it makes what they do more visible or interesting.

I'm using the alchemy system from City and Wild wherein, like Skyrim, ingredients have certain things tied to them that you can use them for if you make a Potion, Poison, or Bomb out of them. I used to use a more complicated system from a previous iteration of the same book where ingredients had elemental symbols and you'd combine them together to make what you want, but the main Alchemist in my current game loves Elder Scrolls a lot and jumped at this idea.

As for the "Spend HD to do Cool poo poo" everyone has three universal things they can spend them on; healing the normal amount during a short rest, gaining some Temp HP in combat, and rerolling a Saving Throw before you know the result. Everyone also gets a Racial and a Class thing they can spend their Hit Dice on. Some examples are humans from a martial area can reroll against a failed save against charmed, frightened, paralyzed, exhausted, or poisoned after knowing they've failed, while Stout Halflings can spend a Hit Die to remove the surprised condition from themselves during combat, and Sea Dwarves can spend a hit die to move further than normal while crawling, climbing, or swimming. Sorcerers can spend them to regain Sorcery Points at an inefficient exchange, Rogues can spend one to remove Advantage from an incoming attack, Paladins can add a die per 5 points of Lay on Hands healing used to make it stronger, etc. It's all super in beta testing but so far people love having the option to do other things with their dice. So far it seems to be working out great.

I could compile what I have on a google doc somewhere and post it if you want, but I've only got abilities written up for my actual party.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Wild surges are a thing the player should invoke on purpose to get access to a benefit, it being a random thing that only happens sometimes is stupid.

It should also be more generalized so that the DM can make stuff up as appropriate but that's so far outisde 5e's wheelhouse it's probably not worth discussing.

I don’t mind the DM being able to impose them at random. I mean if you’re the type of player who wants to play a Wild Mage in the first place you’re probably OK with having random stuff outside your control happen to you. However without a way to voluntarily trigger surges you’re basically dependent on the DM not losing track of how your character works amidst the myriad other things they have to do. Basically the Wild Mage could do with Nahal’s Reckless Dweomer still being a thing in 5e.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Fumbles posted:

I could compile what I have on a google doc somewhere and post it if you want, but I've only got abilities written up for my actual party.

Yeah sure I'd find that interesting :).

I'm a big fan of Wraith Wrights Comprehensive Manuals. Well balanced, consistent rules, lots of alchemy / poisons, interesting rules on magic item creation / modification which meshes somewhat with some of the monster harvesting ideas in Monster Loot which I'm introducing to add kind of survivalist feel for the party now they're Tier 2 and not shitkickers anymore.

You also mentioned Universal Martial Maneuvers - is that this one? How is that working out? What level is your party?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I don’t mind the DM being able to impose them at random. I mean if you’re the type of player who wants to play a Wild Mage in the first place you’re probably OK with having random stuff outside your control happen to you. However without a way to voluntarily trigger surges you’re basically dependent on the DM not losing track of how your character works amidst the myriad other things they have to do. Basically the Wild Mage could do with Nahal’s Reckless Dweomer still being a thing in 5e.

I feel like this is where the disconnect with some people hating wild sorc and some people loving it happens. A lot of folks just hate when random stuff happens. As someone who enjoys the chaos of it, I completely agree that the implementation is crap either way, as it's way too DM reliant. The houserule someone mentioned earlier where the chance of occurrence scales with spell level is an interesting way to handle it, and adding Nahal's back would also be something good (say at level 1, you just surge, but for every level you upcast it you can add or subtract from the roll).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Everyone I've ever seen play Wild Magic Sorcerer doesn't know what Tides of Chaos is and never uses it. I legit cannot imagine playing such a stunted empty class. Advantage on demand is crazy and the wild surges are on average more positive than negative. Sure, maybe don't go casting leveled spells in extremely tight spaces at low level when you can help it, but if you're not playing Wild Magic as the "I get advantage a zillion times a day" caster, what are you even doing

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I could just make it needlessly complicated

immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher:

roll 2d6 + the spell level + the number of chaos counters you have

if the result is less than 13, gain a chaos counter.

if the result is 13 or higher, lose all chaos counters, roll on the table, regain the use of the ability

you lose all chaos counters after a long rest.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Everyone I've ever seen play Wild Magic Sorcerer doesn't know what Tides of Chaos is and never uses it. I legit cannot imagine playing such a stunted empty class. Advantage on demand is crazy and the wild surges are on average more positive than negative. Sure, maybe don't go casting leveled spells in extremely tight spaces at low level when you can help it, but if you're not playing Wild Magic as the "I get advantage a zillion times a day" caster, what are you even doing
It's almost as if there's some reason people with the system mastery to realize how good simple-to-get advantage on demand is, generally avoid playing Wild Sorcerer :thunk: