Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

yeah from those pics I think Lycosidae, Pisauridae and Agelenidae are all possibilities, if better pictures aren't possible a location usually helps narrow it down a little too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I'll probably concede my ID now that I think about it. The spider I mentioned tends to be very large anyway.

Hard to tell but they look a lot like one of the types of wolf spider that often decide to come inside and wander the floors whenever it starts to rain heavily after a dry spell here fwiw.

Watched a redback catch and kill one the other day.

bonus pics of a black house spider that I watched scamper out of my door frame to bite a fly on the head later the same day

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this downy woodpecker hit a window and almost got eaten by my dog

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hello! Went out to Canoe Creek State Park today and flipped a few creek rocks (as nicely as possible). Location is central Pennsylvania.

Tiny crawdaddo! I don't know what type we have in our rivers but it was nice to see one after years of going without any sightings at all.

Here is what I was really hoping to find -- salamanders! This guy's tail looked like it had been nipped off at the end.

Another of the same.

Any idea on their ID? We also found one that was super small and still had a tail that was more paddle-like. Looked like he was barely past his gills in life.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh my god that li'l crayfish :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Got a couple more pics from my husband --

Wee baby who went right back in the water after a quick hello. Notice how his tail is shaped and how big his eyes appear! Any idea how old he might be?

Lots of these water bugs around but hard to photo in the water. This one cooperated, at least. Need an ID here, too!

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 27, 2019

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I could be wrong but I think those two adult manders are two-lineds. The bug might be a mayfly larva.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

the yeti posted:

I could be wrong but I think those two adult manders are two-lineds. The bug might be a mayfly larva.

I was thinking maybe northern dusky salamanders since they've got the speckles on the back?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

They're northern two lined salamanders. Desmognathus have different head shapes and coloration and are usually a black or brown without a whole lot of obvious identifying characteristics to distinguish from other Desmogs. Those salamanders are yellowish brown with two dark lines and fairly slender heads without the Desmog face. It's hard to pick up on, but if you look at lots of photos of each genus, things start to stand out.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you both!!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

seems to be a good year for tiny turtles

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

What is this fellow? Found on a gardenia bush in north Florida.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lacewing larva!

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Yay! Thank you!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

:kimchi:
hello friendssss

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Found a pretty tiger beetle (Cicindela campestris), it was quick though so I only got a quick snap in the shadow before it scurried away.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Funny looking dragonfly. At first glance I thought his wings were messed up

Bonus grizzled old turtle

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 23, 2019

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Whoa! I wonder where he got the battle damage.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lawnmower I bet, but maybe boat?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Could be either around here.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

poverty goat posted:

Funny looking dragonfly. At first glance I thought his wings were messed up

Looks like an Eastern amberwing, Perithemis tenera. Very nice!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Here are some distant, bad photos of some critters on the trail at Salt Water State Park in WA. Our dogs made it difficult to get close (duh). All identification is an assumption and not guaranteed to be correct.
Nothing very exciting, but there's not much at a small park south of Seattle. The hummingbirds and robins were too far away to photograph with my camera.

Steller's Jay

Gray Squirrel(?)

Species: 700 or 800
Genus: 737
Family: Boeing

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd guess that's an Eastern gray squirrel - they are really common here in Oregon, and apparently are also in Washington.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_gray_squirrel#Introductions

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Springtime is critter time!

Accidentally chased this coyote on my morning run. It eventually outpaced me.

Spring camouflage is hard.

I saw this guy at the end of our street and thought it was a stray dog, but upon getting closer I was delighted to find otherwise.

My dog really wanted to mix it up with this bison.

This crow dropped an entire slice of bread in our bird bath and let it soak for awhile before digging in.

Didn't know we had dung beetles in Alberta! Aphodius distinctus, maybe?

Purple-rimmed carabus.

Bald-faced hornet enjoying the smashed insect buffet.

Flat little spider.

I found this in our basement. I don't think I hate it as much as the turbo house centipedes in Ontario, but I definitely don't want it in my house.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember driving home one morning and seeing a huge blob fall out of a tree into the road. It picked itself up and grumbled off into the brush. Turns out porcupines can climb trees, didn't know that! Also that they live in massachusetts, didn't know that either!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They spend most of their time in trees! That's where all the bark and leaves they eat are.

Though what I didn't know is that they apparently fall out of trees fairly often because they get tempted by young growths on weak branches that can't support them.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I love porcupines so much and "grumbling" is the perfect way to describe how they move

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Enfys posted:

I love porcupines so much and "grumbling" is the perfect way to describe how they move

They're definitely my favourite local critter and I totally squealed with glee when I parked the car and ran out into a stranger's yard to get a picture of that one. I prefer "trundling" but "grumbling" is good too.

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember driving home one morning and seeing a huge blob fall out of a tree into the road. It picked itself up and grumbled off into the brush. Turns out porcupines can climb trees, didn't know that! Also that they live in massachusetts, didn't know that either!

Interestingly, porcupine quills have antibiotic properties which must come in handy when they puncture themselves during falls or other activities.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I saw a bunch of white stuff on a branch and thought I had found a very active spider but it turned out to be something else entirely.

Don't know what they are, but they're kind of neat. (Northern Michigan)

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 29, 2019

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Looks like some variety of tent caterpillar.

We used to have infestations every few years that were so bad the streets would be slick with caterpillar guts.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Didn't know we had dung beetles in Alberta! Aphodius distinctus, maybe?

I would place it as genus Onthophagus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
We have had a few large oak and black walnut trees die from huge tent caterpillar infestations when I was a kid. It got so bad my dad eventually bought a big barrel, lit a fire in it, and just filled it with branches he clipped full of tent caterpillars.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Actuarial Fables posted:

I saw a bunch of white stuff on a branch and thought I had found a very active spider but it turned out to be something else entirely.

Don't know what they are, but they're kind of neat. (Northern Michigan)

They are fuzzy but don't sting. In elementary school kids would play with them during recess. The pattern on their back also looks like a penguin.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Looks like some variety of tent caterpillar.

We used to have infestations every few years that were so bad the streets would be slick with caterpillar guts.

quote:

They are among the most social of all caterpillars and exhibit many noteworthy behaviors.

Well that phrasing makes them sound neat despite the tree murder :3:

quote:

At the onset of a bout of foraging, caterpillars leave the tent en masse, moving to distant feeding sites. Immediately after feeding the caterpillars return to the tent and aggregate in sunlight to facilitate the digestive process.

Leaves consist largely of nondigestible components, and it has been estimated that tent caterpillars void as fecal pellets nearly half of the energy they ingest. As a consequence, a colony of caterpillars produces large quantities of fecal pellets. Fecal pellets dropping from treetops in which the caterpillars are feeding create the auditory illusion of rainfall.

tfw you mostly eat things you can't digest so rain poop

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Falukorv posted:

I would place it as genus Onthophagus.

That looks more accurate, thanks. My insect book and the internet were not informative about dung beetles of Alberta.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
lil froggo

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Couldn't get a good photo while he's awake (in a tupperware in the freezer rn) but I found what I thought was a wasp but appears to be a flying ant, nearly an inch in length. He's totally black and likes standing around and buzzing his wings. I'm in Toronto, and I checked and it's definitely not a termite.

From this description (sorry if it isn't enough) is this a carpenter ant, and is finding just one flying around really cause enough to call an exterminator?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Killingyouguy! posted:

Couldn't get a good photo while he's awake (in a tupperware in the freezer rn) but I found what I thought was a wasp but appears to be a flying ant, nearly an inch in length. He's totally black and likes standing around and buzzing his wings. I'm in Toronto, and I checked and it's definitely not a termite.

From this description (sorry if it isn't enough) is this a carpenter ant, and is finding just one flying around really cause enough to call an exterminator?

If it's that big, looks like an ant, but definitely isn't a termite then yeah it's probably a carpenter ant if not a solitary parasitic wasp of some kind.

A single winged ant is not a sign of an infestation. They fly all over the place and wind up everywhere. Worry if you find several dozen of them.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Or you can put it into a test tube and start a colony! I have two carpenter ant queens at the moment, one has some brood that will hatch soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
Some Finnish bugs.

A weevil.

A bug.

A spider.

A mosquito trying to pierce my armor.