Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Use the first reset sequence if:

Your bulbs are running on firmware version 2.8 or later (you can find your bulb firmware version by tapping on the device in your C by GE app).

We recommend counting with Mississippi (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, etc.). Start with your bulb off for at least 5 seconds.

1. Turn on for 8 seconds
2. Turn off for 2 seconds
3. Turn on for 8 seconds
4. Turn off for 2 seconds
5. Turn on for 8 seconds
6. Turn off for 2 seconds
7. Turn on for 8 seconds
8. Turn off for 2 seconds
9. Turn on for 8 seconds
10. Turn off for 2 seconds
11. Turn on Bulb will flash on and off 3 times if it has been successfully reset.

TIP: If the factory reset above was unsuccessful, you might have an older version of the C by GE bulb.

Please follow the instructions below to reset.

Bulb Reset Sequence – for firmware version 2.7 or earlier:

We recommend counting with Mississippi (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, etc.).

Start with your bulb off for at least 5 seconds.
1. Turn on for 8 seconds
2. Turn off for 2 seconds
3. Turn on for 2 seconds
4. Power off for 2 seconds
5. Turn on for 2 seconds
6. Power off for 2 seconds
7. Turn on for 2 seconds
8. Power off for 2 seconds
9. Turn on for 8 seconds
10. Power off for 2 seconds
11. Turn on for 8 seconds
12. Power off for 2 seconds
13. Turn on Bulb will flash on and off 3 times if it has been successfully reset.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
man, home automation sure has made things easier!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's just lovely design. they could have added a reset pinhole button like on every other device.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

encouraging people to insert metal objects into active ac powered devices, often in hard to reach locations, is good design, yes shaggar

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
but that would mean adding a button, bringing up our bom by a whole 30 cents!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

let me just get on my 8-foot ladder and blindly insert a paper clip into this ceiling mounted fixture

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wouldn't be that hard to put the pinhole in somewhere unreachable while the light is in a socket

but seriously, you expect us to increase component costs to save the user some frustration? your numbers are gonna dip this quarter

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"use the device in a weird way to access dev/diagnostic options" is a car thing too and it seems to work fine

but holy poo poo eight seconds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

encouraging people to insert metal objects into active ac powered devices, often in hard to reach locations, is good design, yes shaggar

you'd have to try really hard to get it into somewhere you could shock yourself and you're more likely to do so simply removing or inserting the bulb.

haveblue posted:

wouldn't be that hard to put the pinhole in somewhere unreachable while the light is in a socket

but seriously, you expect us to increase component costs to save the user some frustration? your numbers are gonna dip this quarter

led bulbs have a large section between the socket and the actual lamp part that houses the electronics. theres plenty of space there for even a normal button, let alone a typical pinhole reset button

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

"use the device in a weird way to access dev/diagnostic options" is a car thing too and it seems to work fine

but holy poo poo eight seconds

its probably to protect it from children flipping the lights off and on.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

led bulbs have a large section between the socket and the actual lamp part that houses the electronics. theres plenty of space there for even a normal button, let alone a typical pinhole reset button

yeah, but again, having to interact with the bulb directly once it's in place is an issue.

it's bad design either way because the product is fundamentally stupid

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I mean. they could have done something easier like idunno... turn it on and off 5 times within 10 seconds or something.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

or maybe lightbulbs don't need to be on the internet :thunk:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah, but again, having to interact with the bulb directly once it's in place is an issue.

it's bad design either way because the product is fundamentally stupid

nah its fine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

whoa, hey, what the gently caress is this poo poo?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

nah its fine.

okay, so they demoed it on a table lamp, and i guess if you live in a basement you might not have any inaccessible overhead lighting, but if you need to get a ladder and a bulb gripper out to get at it, you might appreciate a way to reset the thing that doesn't involve that. you'd also be an idiot because you bought an IoT light bulb.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

gently caress a smart house

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

do they not have 12-foot ceilings in maine?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

gently caress a smart house

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

do they not have 12-foot ceilings in maine?

you should watch maine cabin masters

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

What room, Shaggar:

And this is on a non-IoT bulb, too.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

okay, so they demoed it on a table lamp, and i guess if you live in a basement you might not have any inaccessible overhead lighting, but if you need to get a ladder and a bulb gripper out to get at it, you might appreciate a way to reset the thing that doesn't involve that. you'd also be an idiot because you bought an IoT light bulb.

if you stick them where you cant reach then sure, use the flip on and off method.

iospace posted:

What room, Shaggar:

And this is on a non-IoT bulb, too.

I don't understand. are you blind?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the yospos thing of stamping your foot because someone did a technology you don't like is super loving lame and watching you guys reach for the smallest things is super embarrassing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"BUT THE LIGHTBULB IS BAD!!! THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME!!!!"

next you guys are gonna be complaining cause a car is bad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

Cars are bad though, I don't see the issue.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

watching you stan for hilariously obtuse tech gimmicks is at least as embarrassing, if that helps any

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

the yospos thing of stamping your foot because someone did a technology you don't like is super loving lame and watching you guys reach for the smallest things is super embarrassing.

Also
:ironicat:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't have any of these bulbs but I cant image getting so butt hurt that they exist.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar: you guys melt down over the dumbest thigns.

Also Shaggar: BIKES ARE TOYS YOU GUYS, DON'T BUY THEM

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

what i'm getting from this is that shaggar bought a model 3 and is trying to head off the mockery before we find out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

if you stick them where you cant reach then sure, use the flip on and off method.

right, so the flip on and off method has a reason to exist, it's only bad design in the sense that its very reason for existing is stupid as gently caress

- signed, above

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you're old people whining about technology they don't use

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

are you new here or something?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like to keep my complaining to things that actually impact me like bad phones, oses, or programming languages.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaggar posted:

this is literally the entire tesla thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yospos: haha! look at this hubristic bullshit, it's bad and doesn't work!

shaggar: :qq:but you don't even use it!:qq:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ah yes, AI, aka hundreds of people in a loving basement

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/1133739027826241536

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

yospos: haha! look at this hubristic bullshit, it's bad and doesn't work!

shaggar: :qq:but you don't even use it!:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

graph posted:

ah yes, AI, aka hundreds of people in a loving basement

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/1133739027826241536

Any place that asks me to work more than 40 hours a week without overtime is going to watch me work exactly 40 hours.