Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Boy do I have the tablet for you!

Finally, something the surface is useful for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hadlock posted:

You pay $10 to post on an internet forum but you don't have $10 for a digital calliper? Let me guess do you just eyeball it when you pour pasta into the water, rather than use a $10 gram scale to do portion control, you fat gently caress

How you gonna measure flatness with calipers?

This poser doesn’t check his iPad with a granite surface plate and dial indicator every morning. Fat gently caress.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I sacrifice a healthy goat every morning to ensure my iPad maintains its eldritch straightness.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If it’s warped like a boomerang or falls out of its case or something then sure

Otherwise ???

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Partycat posted:

If it’s warped like a boomerang or falls out of its case or something then sure

Otherwise ???

I asked about durability because I saw the word bending at some point and I plan to travel with it a lot. It snowballed into sarcastically whining about microns.

Nobody is arguing about unnoticeable build tolerance or whatever, I wanted to know if they’re easier to break than my older model.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rolo posted:

I asked about durability because I saw the word bending at some point and I plan to travel with it a lot. It snowballed into sarcastically whining about microns.

Nobody is arguing about unnoticeable build tolerance or whatever, I wanted to know if they’re easier to break than my older model.

I'd guess that the display might be a tiny bit more fragile, in that since it's bonded to the glass, if anything gets a crack, it's more likely to all be hosed. I also would expect thinner case to mean less durable, but not sure that it's a meaningful difference (like it'll bend with slightly less force, but in practice, will one bend and the other not?). I'm also talking out of my rear end entirely. It'll be more expensive to repair anything, in any case.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Rolo posted:

For what it’s worth last night I forgot I had set my 12.9 on my office chair before sitting on it with no harm done....please don’t try this at home.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

For what it’s worth last night I forgot I had set my 12.9 on my office chair before sitting on it with no harm done....please don’t try this at home.

I did that with the glass front from an iMac screen while upgrading the hard drive.

No harm done to the glass. My heart, a little different.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Walmart has the 10.5" iPad Pros down to $299 in-store only if your local store is fortunate enough to still have stock.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rolo posted:

My repair shop experience is that iPads with the laminated displays (Air 2, new Air, Mini 4, new Mini, all Pros) do tend to bend easier than the ones with separate displays, probably due to the thinness. They’re also pricier to fix, since a glass replacement also requires an LCD replacement.

Not that they bend on their own and break, but corner drops tend to be more serious. And once they get bent, they’re more fragile after a repair since the glass may not sit perfectly flat.

If durability is a main concern, get a 5/6 or a good case for the Pro.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s not a concern if it’s not that fragile, I’ve never ever broken an apple product. I just saw some apparently overhyped stuff about them bending months ago and wanted to know if it’s a concern compared to other iPads.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Has anyone experience with this Pencil grip? Kaweco makes a properly good pen, so I have high hopes, but I'd like a second opinion before I fork out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have the new 12.9 iPad. It’s mah baby. I have a nice leather folio for it.

Going camping with my kids and am gonna load some movies and bring it. Is there a recommended 20 dollar-ish protect-absolutely-everything case that I could throw it in? Just to keep it safe from drops, dirt, gravel, whatever...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'd like to use my apple pencil to take notes, have those notes converted to text, and have that text end up in Evernote. What is the best way to do this? Can Evernote do this natively or will it require multiple apps?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

I'd like to use my apple pencil to take notes, have those notes converted to text, and have that text end up in Evernote. What is the best way to do this? Can Evernote do this natively or will it require multiple apps?

I used to use penultimate for this but it’s dead now. :(

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I’ve never used Evernote, but the function is built into Notability. If you can’t find Evernote does it, Notability exports notes into pdf’s.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What is the actual writing experience like with the Apple Pencil (first-gen, if it matters)? How similar does it feel to writing on paper? Are handwriting-recognition apps good at reading poor handwriting?

Thinking of picking up a new Mini at some point as a sort of ersatz Moleskine that can also play Football Manager.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weedle posted:

What is the actual writing experience like with the Apple Pencil (first-gen, if it matters)? How similar does it feel to writing on paper? Are handwriting-recognition apps good at reading poor handwriting?

Thinking of picking up a new Mini at some point as a sort of ersatz Moleskine that can also play Football Manager.

It’s really, really good. The feel is obviously plastic on glass but the rest feels so right that it still surprises me when I use my Pencil. I’m really anal and fussy about virtual versions of real activities too.

e: speaking purely about the pencil, not any handwriting recognition apps

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 24, 2019

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Weedle posted:

For me it’s not great but I know people who love it. My handwriting isn’t great and the process is kind of clunky I find. I just went back to a paper notebook for quick notes - faster and easier and I have to transcribe and review either way so...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Evernote says it can do handwriting OCR on scanned or photos. I'm not sure if it works with notes entered via Pencil/Stylus directly. You'll probably need to test it.

These are the other apps I'm aware of that will convert in app:

Notes.app
Notability
One Note
PDF Expert

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Weedle posted:

Wow wow back it up, back it up, beep beep beep.

Football Manager works on the iPad? This is bad news for my marriage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Xabi posted:

Wow wow back it up, back it up, beep beep beep.

Football Manager works on the iPad? This is bad news for my marriage.

Unless something has changed the last year or two, it's a Touch version that lacks a good bit

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sourdough posted:

Unless something has changed the last year or two, it's a Touch version that lacks a good bit

The Mobile version for iPhones and iPads is pretty cut-down, but the Touch version for iPads only is very similar to the full game. The only big omissions I can think of are the social aspects of squad management such as team talks and squad chemistry, which are far from essential to the experience anyway.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Weedle posted:

The Mobile version for iPhones and iPads is pretty cut-down, but the Touch version for iPads only is very similar to the full game. The only big omissions I can think of are the social aspects of squad management such as team talks and squad chemistry, which are far from essential to the experience anyway.

Ah ok, I mixed up Mobile and Touch, didn't realize there were two versions. I tried playing the Mobile version of 2016 or 2017, just didn't work for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s really, really good. The feel is obviously plastic on glass but the rest feels so right that it still surprises me when I use my Pencil. I’m really anal and fussy about virtual versions of real activities too.

e: speaking purely about the pencil, not any handwriting recognition apps

They also sell matte screen protectors that try and replicate the feel of paper.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FCKGW posted:

They also sell matte screen protectors that try and replicate the feel of paper.

But all reports I have seen indicate they milky-up the screen clarity. Which... as appealing as the sensation would be, is just a deal-breaker for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They can also create a rainbow effect with white colors, which means viewing photos or like...almost all websites can be weird.

Drawing on glass is odd the first few times you try it and rapidly becomes second nature. Unless you’re an edge case you don’t need a gritty screen protector.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Krispy Wafer posted:

They can also create a rainbow effect with white colors, which means viewing photos or like...almost all websites can be weird.

Drawing on glass is odd the first few times you try it and rapidly becomes second nature. Unless you’re an edge case you don’t need a gritty screen protector.

I’m slightly OCD about having finite resources for drawing. I only have so much paper, I hope this marker doesn’t dry up, better not waste this fancy eraser, etc.

The iPad helps me doodle and waste what would be ink and paper without worrying about running out ever. That made it worth getting over drawing on glass.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Rolo posted:

I’m slightly OCD about having finite resources for drawing. I only have so much paper, I hope this marker doesn’t dry up, better not waste this fancy eraser, etc.

The iPad helps me doodle and waste what would be ink and paper without worrying about running out ever. That made it worth getting over drawing on glass.

I have some slightly bad news there, but ehhh... unless you drop the pencil (don’t! I’ve dropped the v1 and been lucky to not damage the copper part) the tip will last about a year of moderate use, and 1-3 months of daily note-taking or sketching.

Apple Pencil Tips - 4 pack

https://store.apple.com/au/xc/product/MLUN2AM/A

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

stirlo posted:

I have some slightly bad news there, but ehhh... unless you drop the pencil (don’t! I’ve dropped the v1 and been lucky to not damage the copper part) the tip will last about a year of moderate use, and 1-3 months of daily note-taking or sketching.

it's not like that's a lot of things you have to replace.. it's just the tip

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

it's not like that's a lot of things you have to replace.. it's just the tip

It’s never just the tip.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have had my Pencil for 3 years and have replaced the tip exactly once. And I only had to replace it because the original tip was damaged, not because it wore out. YMMV, but the Apple Pencil is pretty darn sturdy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

stirlo posted:

Maybe I’m light on it but I’ve had mine over a year and I haven’t had to use the replacement tip it came with yet.

E: Holy poo poo that 4 pack of very tiny pencil tips is 30 dollars get hosed.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 27, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve had mine since the Pencil launched and it’s not worn at all.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Rolo posted:

E: Holy poo poo that 4 pack of very tiny pencil tips is 30 dollars get hosed.

That’s Aussie dollaridoos, and if that’s 4 years worth of just the tips it isn’t too bad value

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s $19 in the US.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh that’s not bad then.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I think that is still cheaper than the stylus tips for the newton MessagePad

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is insanely tangentially related, at best, but do any of you have experience with an adhesive-strip case for your iPad? One that claims to be repositionable / removable (like the Pad & Quill cases, for example?

I bought a big full coverage case for camping with my kids And need to remove my leather folio P&Q case with adhesive strip.

And now for the dumbass simply question: is Wax Paper a good “cover” for the exposed sticker while I’m not using my folio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I bought a new mini to replace my Nexus 7 which started to randomly discharge its entire battery of a night sitting in my work bag.

It's real nifty but I wanna get a nice smart cover, are there any reccs for one? If not I'll get an apple one?

Also how come Instagram still doesn't have a proper iPad app? Same goes for Whatsapp, I can do all that + text and call from my MacBook why not on the iPad, boo.

Also a bit dissapointed that it doesnt have raise to wake and 3D touch but I'm assuming this is because it's still using the same old iPad Mini housing from years ago.