Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

"Usul has called a big one!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Reminder that sietches have sphincters and when you open one a great stench engulfs you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Makes your eyes sting real'bad

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Wouldn't like, every major character have Eyes of Ibad? I forget, but do Bene Gesserit have them? A very large proportion of the main cast of the series should just have super blue eyes, yes?
I can see how that would get really, really silly and annoying, which is why it would probably be best if they didn't make them literally glow in this movie. Glowing is probably the best way to convey magic special eyes in film, though.

Why the gently caress didn't the Navigator have the Eyes in the movie? He's doing more spice than anyone else.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Most of the off-Arrakis nobility, guild members and other spice users have permanent contacts which mask the blue eyes.

The movie has a serious problem because deep blue eyeballs with no discerning features are really hard to film. I suppose that was one of the drivers to make the eyes glow not only in pre-cgi era Lynch Dune but also in the series. In most interior scenes such eyes would look almost black.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The nobility/BG don’t have the eyes of Ibad. Only the navigators and the Fremen do. You need to be basically saturated with spice for years for it to happen. Just taking it on the reg isn’t enough.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The Corrino prince has blue eyes and contacts to hide them in CoD.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That’s a fair point, but I still don’t think they are general among the nobility. Piter has them, but the Baron complains that Piter costs him a fortune in spice anyway. Paul reports his visions of Chani’s eyes to Mohiam without any sense that this is a normal thing, and he doesn’t know what causes the Fremen to have blue eyes until Yueh explains it’s the spice. Herbert might have changed his mind along the way, but I think it is clear that the blue eyes are a Fremen thing, and the navigators mask them so as not to weird people out. If everyone rich had it, it probably wouldn’t be worth hiding.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Anyway, back to subject at hand. It follows that Fremen stool would be blue as well.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Love to wring out a wet turd over a cave basin

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The eyes of Ibad signify addiction to spice, and spice is expensive. Even Nobility would find it difficult to consume enough to get the eyes. It is commented that Piter de Vries has the eyes, and it showed how expensive he was, to the house that exclusively mines the spice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Everyone who has spice is addicted, and it is written that alot of people have slight blue tint, but the full blue within blue ibad comes from saturation in spice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Everyone who has spice is addicted, and it is written that alot of people have slight blue tint, but the full blue within blue ibad comes from saturation in spice.

You should sell spiced blueberry Pies of Ibad at your restaurant

Then you should invite me over for one

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

TCC: melange micro dosing or how to avoid the ibad

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 29, 2019

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
In the Dune universe people sell dodgy kits with fake eyes to combat workplace drug testing

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Everyone who has spice is addicted,

No they aren't.

quote:

and it is written that alot of people have slight blue tint, but the full blue within blue ibad comes from saturation in spice.

This is true. Even a little off world food will prevent full blue-within-blue. The smugglers talk about it in dune.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

TCC: melange micro dosing or how to avoid the ibad

A man falls through the sand and into El Quds. Seizing a glowglobe from the wall he sees the skull of the father of Muad’Dib. Grasping it by the eye sockets he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried spice essence”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Just use Visine idiots

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Ben Stein is definitely a Harkonnen

https://youtu.be/cflLuv2LnPE

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What are the effects of spice if you aren’t going whole hog with it navigator style? Just really kicks flavour up a notch? (BAM!)

Prescience is only if you are practically swimming in the stuff so it can’t be that.. weird rear end dreams maybe? I am sure the book mentions I just forget.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

What are the effects of spice if you aren’t going whole hog with it navigator style? Just really kicks flavour up a notch? (BAM!)

Prescience is only if you are practically swimming in the stuff so it can’t be that.. weird rear end dreams maybe? I am sure the book mentions I just forget.

The rich do it because it like triples their lifespan or whatever. "Geriatric Spice"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, it adds “years—decades for some”. Nobody in the books seems to live like, way over 100. Except Leto II which is uh, slightly different

Incidentally while looking that up I found that Mohiam has the blue eyes by the time of Messiah. Maybe she was wearing contacts during the first book or she was less addicted then, idk.

e: also in Children, Jessica thinks to herself that BG prana bindu powers could in theory let you live for thousands of years, but the BGs deliberately don’t do this because they’re scared that if they all became functionally immortal everyone would freak out and massacre them.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 29, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ohh yeah lifespans thanks

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Duncan Idahoes all the way down

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Communist Walrus posted:

I'm hoping against hope it sounds like when you put a canister inside the pneumatic tube at the bank teller window

thoomp

Barring that, I will also accept a wet schlorp

Vlex posted:

Turdsign

I laid five thoompers. We have turdsign the likes of which God has never seen.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Gurney, encouraging: "You young poop! You young poop!"
Paul, straining "Hernia, man! Hernia!"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Mood’s a thing for cattle and loveplay! Not pooping

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

"In the early days of the Fremen, from the time of the Wandering, it is said that Naibs buried their turds in the sand, like a Laza Tiger haha!"

He placed his hand to his forehead and spat upon the ground.

"May Shai Hulud cleanse their passing. We have evolved since then, Paul."

Stilgar took another bite of a brown cake from his catch pocket. Paul watched him chew, the process reminding his other memories of an ancient granola bar or a jerky. It would almost seem natural, if the horror of the source had not dawned on him. Suddenly the cycle's perfection vibrated in his precience and his awareness was illuminated.

"I see the truth of it."

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 29, 2019

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why the gently caress didn't the Navigator have the Eyes in the movie? He's doing more spice than anyone else.

rewatch the scene, the Navigator MOST definitely had blue eyes, it was just muddled by the spice haze in the chamber

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 29, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
who could have known that the best content on here would be a thread about an old science fiction book that is filled with jokes about eating poop.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

who could have known that the best content on here would be a thread about an old science fiction book that is filled with jokes about eating poop.

Probly Maud'dibdump tbh

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 29, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

>[Dune Thread] Blue balls and poo poo cakes

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

~extremely Dr Yueh voice~ remember.. the poop.. The pooooooooop!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
A weird cry sounded from the road outside the house. It was repeated: ‘Poo-Poo PooP! Poo-Poo PooP!’ Then: ‘Ikhut-eigh! Ikhut-eigh!’ And again: ‘Poo-Poo PooP!’
‘What is that?’ Jessica asked. ‘I heard it several times as we drove through the streets this morning.’
‘Only a dietary fiber-seller, my Lady. But you’ve no need to interest yourself in such as they. The warehouse here holds fifty thousand pounds and it’s always kept full.’

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Do you 'move' without rhythm? Try Metamusul, a dietary supplement rich in spice fiber to promote regularity.

Metamusul, for more strength at the base of your pillar.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Prune, Fibre Planet

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I'd slap every one of you if I could.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

what do the finned fingers say to the face dancer

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Friends, it doesn't take the prescience of Spice to know that within a year, we're going to be faced with masses of people complaining that these so-called "sand worms" are blatantly plagiarised from Star Wars' highly original sarlac pit monster. Furthermore, the Bene Gesserit are clearly a women-only version of the Jedi order, pandering to the SJW crowd that continues to stomp on our most beloved memories.
It's gonna suuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Tree Bucket posted:

Friends, it doesn't take the prescience of Spice to know that within a year, we're going to be faced with masses of people complaining that these so-called "sand worms" are blatantly plagiarised from Star Wars' highly original sarlac pit monster. Furthermore, the Bene Gesserit are clearly a women-only version of the Jedi order, pandering to the SJW crowd that continues to stomp on our most beloved memories.
It's gonna suuuuuck

Hmm, I would be more afraid of this if not for the Lynch film and the video games. Dune has it's shoe in the door of pop culture.