Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mayveena posted:

In that context, one of the things that were special about trains in the late 1800's/early 1900's is that African Americans could ride and work on trains. Having a job on a train was real status for black men and they were happy to get work in an environment that didn't immediately harm them and get paid a decent wage. My uncle was a brakeman on a train and while dangerous, he still got paid a good wage for a black man at the time.

More here https://history.howstuffworks.com/american-history/old-railroads5.htm

It's really why I like train games, they remind me of my late uncle and the stories he told.

That's legitimately cool. Growing up in Fredericksburg I've been surrounded by this weird bleed over of Northern VA rich liberalism and the rest of Virginia which is like picturesque ante-bellum South with some fringe Appalachian poverty. The trainyard was always ugly to me and my grandfather hated that the only work around was taking the train up to DC to work for the government. I like train games because they really are the closest board games get to a pure sandbox but often I wish they used literally any other theme.

We used to have legit carnies roll by on their train cars and setup in the fairgrounds. I do have nostalgia for rickety rear end carnival rides and actual freaks blowing into town every fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

silvergoose posted:

Do you dislike how Go looks, out of curiosity?

Interesting question. I don't dislike it, because it's an ancient game that has very limited information to parse, so to speak. There's no score to track, no visual flair that can really be added - even chess can have fancy pieces and stuff, in Go you can pretty much just change the component and board quality. I'd certainly prefer playing Go on a nice oak board with lovely ivory (or similar) pieces, rather than a plastic green board with some cheap white and black cubes. Not that it affects the quality of the gameplay or anything, obviously, but because I like to look at (and interact with, there's a tactile element there) things that look nice, especially if it's for a 6+ hour board game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

while we're arguing about misuse of terms on this page let me hijack and say that i have almost never seen tactical used correctly when describing a board game.

tactics are the micro to strategy's macro, the details to the higher order plan. to assume that tactics exist implies a grander strategy also exists. people use tactical to describe games that depend on moment to moment decisions because larger strategies are impossible to form. these games aren't tactical.

this is my hill. bury me with my money.

I don't really know if this is the case? Like in wargames tactical/strategic/operational reflect the scale of the game, but as much as I think tactical wargames are dumb you still have a grander strategy in mind.

I think the best breakdown is explained through Chess. Queen's Gambit is a strategy which begins with the tactical move of d4.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

tactics are the micro to strategy's macro, the details to the higher order plan. to assume that tactics exist implies a grander strategy also exists. people use tactical to describe games that depend on moment to moment decisions because larger strategies are impossible to form. these games aren't tactical.

Those tactics are still in service of a strategy. It’s just that in those games there is only one good strategy; typically something like ‘gain the most possible points this round’.

A game gets called strategic if there are multiple viable strategies that you can meaningfully discuss. Somethings like ‘spend money on cowboys to buy cows’ versus ‘spend money on workers to build buildings’. Ones where you can’t simply work out the eventual point value of an action, but you can see how well it fits your strategy.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

FulsomFrank posted:

Is John Company getting a reprint any time soon? Or will we get a deluxe version like we're getting with Pax Pamir?

They are going to reprint it when they have the time. 2020 is their current estimation.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Morpheus posted:

I've heard that trains are also quite liked by those on the autistic spectrum, possibly due to their orderly nature, how they always are on a track and don't have a lot of chaos to them.

I like being on trains, no particularly strong feelings otherwise. With regards to board games, I feel like I will never play an 18xx game because whenever I come into the vicinity of one I want to fall asleep.

Are there any 18xx games that actually look like they hired something resembling a graphic designer, or is it the Splotter route in that they simply never give a poo poo about it and want to prioritize clarity of information above all else?

I've met some autistic train enthusiasts who seem to like trains even if the schedules are loving bonkers, so who knows.

The Mayfair 1830 has stylized track and it sucks rear end. Thankfully the reverse side of the hexes is good old colour-and-black.

Some of the Japanese 18xxes have pretty boards. There's a version of 1889 which is super pretty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Narrator posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone here talk about Nusfjord. Any thoughts? Still can't beat Feast for Odin?

The interplay between the different resources is great with each having a different way to get them - gold especially requiring setting other players up to succeed - and the building cards generally have interesting ideas which combo nicely with actions.

It's not as variable in play or as satisfying to pay off as Odin, but it does a decent job of those, and it's maybe half as long and plays 5, which are more situational points in its favor.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What's your biggest regret board game wise?

For me, it's the Pillars of Eternity Board game. God that game sucks

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Eldritch Horror. I've got a bunch of expansions and while I enjoy it, it's just too long and I never pull it out so it just takes up a bunch of space.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty selective about what I buy so I don't wind up with many regrets. Sheriff of Nottingham is really the only thing I wish I hadn't bought, and even then it made for a few fun sessions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My biggest regret is playing Ganz Schon with a man wearing a badge that said "ask me about quarks." It took half the game to explain how the purple track worked because he couldn't wrap his head around any number following 6. He even wrote a little "0" underneath each 6 because that was the only way he could visualize "a number greater following it."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

This is no surprise, I expect, but Mage Knight. Goons bigged it up like nothing else, and it sounded like exactly what I wanted - to wit, Magic Realm but actually playable and I could own it. But it turned out that only one of those was true.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Had a big weekend of gaming with some friends:

3x Food Chain Magnate (twice with new milestones)

Also played 1x Antiquity, 1x Spirit Island, 2x Star Wars Rebellion, 2x Keyflower, and a bunch of BCON, Sakura Arms, Santorini, Tak, and Hail Hydra.

I am ridiculously jealous of the amount of games you can fit into a long weekend

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I am ridiculously jealous of the amount of games you can fit into a long weekend

Yeah seriously wtf dude, did you guys not sleep or what.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Jedit posted:

This is no surprise, I expect, but Mage Knight. Goons bigged it up like nothing else, and it sounded like exactly what I wanted - to wit, Magic Realm but actually playable and I could own it. But it turned out that only one of those was true.

poo poo, I just ordered the Star Trek version off of Amazon.....

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I'm sorry that possession of Mage Knight is illegal in your jurisdiction.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

None of those are true of Magic Realm so at least you got a game you could own.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

3x Food Chain Magnate (twice with new milestones) - Not only are they fun to explore, I think they will seriously help the longevity of the game at this point. There are still 3 openings, clearly marked now, but they don't feel nearly as scripted and the game opens in much more dynamic ways. A few key things we noticed: eternal marketing being moved to later milestones makes the game ebb and flow more instead of causing an arms race early for demand. RG and Marketer openers feel pretty well balanced, with RG being the safe flexible pick. Trainer will still be a powerplay and even stronger now allowing for huge plays late game. Marketer will probably be somewhere in the middle, with the -2 range at dinnertime helping keep you in the game. Pizza bomb is great when you can isolate the placement from others' restaurants and capitalize on it. Or use it to screw them if they go into burgers. The bank seemingly breaks faster thanks to a combination of things, notably the Marketer milestone syphoning money pretty quickly. First Lemonade (train employees on the job) is probably going to be the common rush of those first sale milestones. We're going to try the new reserve cards next (all add $200 but the base price can adjust to $5 or $20). Combined with the new milestones, games could go really fast with $20 sales being base.

Great recap. Playing with the new milestones myself tomorrow. Fuckin hyped!

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I research a lot what I get these days and generally don't go too far wrong any more, but gently caress Betrayal Legacy. What a piece of poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

al-azad posted:

None of those are true of Magic Realm so at least you got a game you could own.

Are you saying that Magic Realm isn't Magic Realm?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

As others have mentioned, trains are probably the most energy efficient form of land transportation (both passenger and freight) aside from walking or biking. They're also a good example of nationalized administration being superior to private ownership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvsDb4Ybp1A

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My biggest regret is First Martians. 70 bucks, and it’s my only game to date I’ve never played, and have no desire to. Ugh.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know a big part of the appeal of Mage Knight is the "everything and the kitchen sink" aspect, but after a few dozen hours of it solo and multi, I decided it had 2 too many mechanics.

Spells and units working differently than advanced actions is fine, but everything should be acquired from the same offer and everything should be played from your hand and go to your discard. You could still have the night/day flavor of spells and the persistent effects of units without having three offers that all behave differently. It would clean up the table presentation and keep the focus on the hexes.

You could steal the unit mechanic of "regular" and "elite" for the entire deck, and then balance your strongest spells and actions around only showing up in the 2nd half. That would let you get a tighter balance in both phases of the game, and you could even make "regular" cards cantrip once you've flipped an "elite" card into the offer, to make them not strictly worse end game.

That's all just wiggly balance stuff, but having a SINGLE offer to choose from, being able to focus on spells or actions or units without getting map screwed out of access to those offers. This does shift the game more into an overt market row deck builder, but it's a co-op one (so you can work with your team on who most benefits from what) and ... MK is already a market row deckbuilder, it just has three markets. You'd have to rebalance wounds against not being able to wound and heal units selectively, but you could still design this flavor into the cards themselves and dump a ton of rules overhead.

It makes turns go faster, the game simpler to teach, more attractive and less confusing on the table, and loses basically nothing but complexity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Ogre Designer's Edition. Didn't back the Kickstarter, but bought a KS edition from my FLGS. It's so big I can't even really resell it because shipping just kills it (both in terms of cost and just logistics) and nobody local seems to want it.

I really just want to get rid of it and pick up the reasonably sized 6th Edition box.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

Seems accurate to me

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The what now? Makes sense, i guess, but i either had forgotten or never knew about this. What's it like?
And i don't hold onto negative emotions like that. Gives you cancer.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Most of my board game regrets aren't because they are bad games, but because they are games I rarely or never actually get to the table due to time, group needs, or other reasons.
Some of them are still unopened, which I call the Shrinkwrap Club. Captain Sonar, Battlestar Galactica, Tigris & Euphrates.
Imperial Assault graduated from the shrinkwrap club for a single play.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I guess my biggest boardgame regret is Field Commander: Napoleon. It's not terrible or anything, it was just expensive and I thought I'd get a ton of play out of it. Unfortunately, the mechanics feel more like a puzzle than a war game and, as with many solitaire games, success or failure can depend too much on die rolls. But what makes it my biggest boardgame regret is that absolutely no one is interested in buying it off me (unlike genuinely bad games Robinson Crusoe and King of New York, which sold on very quickly).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
T&E should be easy to play - convenient player count, its short, and a very good game. Just be so enthusiastic about it it's overbearing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

I just mean it's impossible to own and impossible to play.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Gotta be that Catacombs Kickstarter from a few years back. Still haven’t played it, that rulebook is an insane mess for what should a be a pretty straightforward dexterity based dungeon-em-up. Maybe I’ll get it to the table this summer, but I’m thinking of just selling it grabbing a copy of Seal Team Flix.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Most of my board game regrets aren't because they are bad games, but because they are games I rarely or never actually get to the table due to time, group needs, or other reasons.
Some of them are still unopened, which I call the Shrinkwrap Club... Battlestar Galactica.

Turn your regret into cold hard cash, I bet sealed copies are going for something around 200 bucks at this point.

Stan Taylor posted:

Gotta be that Catacombs Kickstarter from a few years back. Still haven’t played it, that rulebook is an insane mess for what should a be a pretty straightforward dexterity based dungeon-em-up. Maybe I’ll get it to the table this summer, but I’m thinking of just selling it grabbing a copy of Seal Team Flix.

Seal Team Flix owns, but if you're looking for a less insane rulebook than Catacombs, it might not be the right choice.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Biggest regret lately is Feudem. I paid a fortune for it and it sucks. Or maybe it doesn't suck but no one wants to listen to an hour long rules explanation so it never gets played.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Last con I was at, the big OGRE box was on auction and no hands went up. Swap meet had multiple copies of The Colonists and none of them moved either.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Biggest regret lately is Feudem. I paid a fortune for it and it sucks. Or maybe it doesn't suck but no one wants to listen to an hour long rules explanation so it never gets played.

Feudum has a pretty dedicated following and I'm not surprised. If it was my first heavy game 10 years ago I would probably be sucked in because it is one of those "kitchen sink" games with a million moving parts to obscure how shallow it actually is.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I don’t have an individual gaming regret but over the years I have accumulated too many games. I think I peaked at like 140 and would prefer to stay around half of that amount.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mr. Squishy posted:

The what now? Makes sense, i guess, but i either had forgotten or never knew about this. What's it like?
And i don't hold onto negative emotions like that. Gives you cancer.

Themeing is very good, but it has the issue of being a really lovely waterdeep.

Great pieces, art, etc....terrible gameplay. Your victory is determined by the cards you draw, not strategy.

Gameplay is basically a bunch of ideas from other games. You draw random resource tokens from a bag. You spend them on cards. These are either buildings that buff or soldiers and heroes that attack. Attacking is MtG, meaning that if you commit your army to attacking a dude, you cant use the army to defend and get your poo poo wrecked. Theres a random dungeon deck you can use to get loot and VP. You dont know whats in it until you've comitted so our group never bothered once the first 1/3rd was cleared. You can flip over cards that flat out kill you. And again, adventuĺring = you being unable to defend.

You win by killing buildings and monsters.

Tl:dr: magic the gathering meets boss monster, but...bad.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 29, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

al-azad posted:

Feudum has a pretty dedicated following and I'm not surprised. If it was my first heavy game 10 years ago I would probably be sucked in because it is one of those "kitchen sink" games with a million moving parts to obscure how shallow it actually is.

That was my impression as well. And the box is so big!!! Guess I'll have to basically give it away at the next con.....

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I bought Thunderstone: Advance instead of Dominion, because I heard it was better on The Dice Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Probably Wok Star, the last board game we kickstarted not made by Rachel Simmons (and therefore instabuys). Very disappointing.