Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
rhaegar was close enough to joncon for jon to be in love with him and barristan at least really respects him and doesnt view him as a weirdo or anything so im not sure where you are getting rhaegar was super distant to everyone but arthur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Father didn't save his children.

Thus negating his father status. The Father works in mysterious ways.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

irl like half the world converted to christianity despite genuinely believing in magic and witchcraft, i dont think its a plot hole or w/e that the Seven are a dominant faith in westeros

the faith of the seven took over in westeros through a combination of genocide and deliberate suppression of pre-existing faiths, yeah

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah everything about the maesters hints at destroying magic and promoting the non-magic religion where everyone quietly obeys their lords.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

violent sex idiot posted:

rhaegar was close enough to joncon for jon to be in love with him and barristan at least really respects him and doesnt view him as a weirdo or anything so im not sure where you are getting rhaegar was super distant to everyone but arthur

Joncon and Rhaegar is clearly one sided and respect is different from actual like an friendship

edit: I mean it could happen that all of a sudden he fell in love ,but given how prophecy obsessed this dude is it's way more likely he went full ends justifies the means with regards to getting his 3rd head of the dragon

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Yeah everything about the maesters hints at destroying magic and promoting the non-magic religion where everyone quietly obeys their lords.

I forget is Marwyn banned?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 29, 2019

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

SirKibbles posted:

Joncon and Rhaegar is clearly one sided and respect is different from actual like an friendship

edit: I mean it could happen that all of a sudden he fell in love ,but given how prophecy obsessed this dude is it's way more likely he went full ends justifies the means with regards to getting his 3rd head of the dragon

I forget is Marwyn banned?

He’s still an archmaester when he leaves to meet up with Dany.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

PupsOfWar posted:

im sure lyanna was into it initially

she thought rhaegar was dreamy and robert was poo poo, that's pretty clear

im also sure lyanna wouldn't have continued being into it after aerys incinerated her dad and brother and started a war to genocide the rest of her relatives, but there's no way she would have found out about it if rhaegar decided to keep her in the dark

and if he was keeping her isolated from all outside news, it would have become gradually clear he was actually a creep and weirdo who wanted her for a magic prophecy brood mare

the way the show played it as some wholesome thing really bugged me
imo there's no way to get round rhaegar being a creep unless you've got some real hosed up base assumptions

I doubt she'd blame Rhaegar for his father's actions, reminder that the whole escalation started with Brandon (who very likely knew Rhaegar never abducted Lyanna) rode to the red keep and screamed for Rhagar to "come out and die", which by all accounts is a thing you probably shouldn't do.

Aerys was a murderous gently caress head, but Brandon was a big idiot too.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

he’s a stark. of course they’re all big dumb idiots

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

id say rhaegar was at minimum close to all 3 of the Kingsguard who were at the tower of joy - they'd have to be especial allies of his in order to go along with rhaegar's schemes rather than reporting to Aerys (who likely was not in on any of said schemes)

so that's 3 pals right there, plus friend Griff

then if the big theory about Harrenhal is true (that Rhaegar was funding that tourney thru proxy of House Whent in order to scheme against Aerys) it implies he had whole houses and factions that were special cronies of his, which implies some serious hobnobbing

he might still have been a hosed-in-the-head guy who didn't care about anyone, but I'd say he could definitely at least pretend well enough to get these various scheming nobles to trust him with their lives

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I doubt she'd blame Rhaegar for his father's actions, reminder that the whole escalation started with Brandon (who very likely knew Rhaegar never abducted Lyanna) rode to the red keep and screamed for Rhagar to "come out and die", which by all accounts is a thing you probably shouldn't do.

Aerys was a murderous gently caress head, but Brandon was a big idiot too.

regardless of whether she blamed Rhaegar, i dont think she would want to stay in the tower after the war started

it's lyanna - "stay put in the secret fortified hiding place and wait safely until the trouble is over" is the exact opposite of what she would want to do if her family got into a war

and the war lasted like 2-3 years so it ain't like she was 2 knocked up 2 travel the whole time

imo rhaegar had to've been either confining her or concealing the news from her

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

At the same time after typing all this, I'm doing a re-read and I'm about halfway through Dance, and I think that Game of Thrones is easily the worst book. The story is good and enjoyable but its inconsistent and a lot of what happens is plain illogical and fantastical, and I think a lot of trouble stems from GRRM writing it thinking that he was going to have a tight quick trilogy and the editor not knowing the general endgame. A lot of Ned and Catlyn's conveniently idiotic choices stir the plot a little too well and don't really make too much sense when looked back at logically with things we've learned from the next 4 books. But I mean the book came out like 25 years ago, when GRRM was writing it even he probably didn't really know what we were going to learn in the next 4 books.

Another version of this would be that GoT was written by someone who still had an actual idea on how the series would go.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

id say rhaegar was at minimum close to all 3 of the Kingsguard who were at the tower of joy - they'd have to be especial allies of his in order to go along with rhaegar's schemes rather than reporting to Aerys (who likely was not in on any of said schemes)

then if the big theory about Harrenhal is true (that Rhaegar was funding that tourney thru proxy of House Whent in order to scheme against Aerys) it implies he had whole houses and factions that were special cronies of his, which implies some serious hobnobbing

he might still have been a hosed-in-the-head guy who didn't care about anyone, but I'd say he could definitely at least pretend well enough to get these various scheming nobles to trust him with their lives

There's probably some embellishment going on but book Rhaegar was apparently pretty charismatic.

I think he probably did care about everyone but wasn't going to let that stop him from doing what he felt needed to be done to fulfill prophecy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

PupsOfWar posted:

regardless of whether she blamed Rhaegar, i dont think she would want to stay in the tower after the war started

it's lyanna - "stay put in the secret fortified hiding place and wait safely until the trouble is over" is the exact opposite of what she would want to do if her family got into a war

and the war lasted like 2-3 years so it ain't like she was 2 knocked up 2 travel the whole time

imo rhaegar had to've been either confining her or concealing the news from her

The war lasted less than a year starting from Lyanna and Rhaegar eloping together in secret, Brandon was headed for his wedding with Cat when he instead rode to King's Landing and got himself arrested, than it took months for the northern Lords to ride to King's Landing where they got executed and Aerys called for Robert and Ned's heads, which prompted Jon Arryn to call his banners and start the war.

So, odds are that Lyanna was already a few months in to a difficult pregnancy. It makes sense to me.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Why would Brandon know that Rhaegar didn't kidnap Lyanna? Where would he have learned that

I think most folks who were around knew that Lyanna wasn't into Robert (who I believe had already fathered a bastard at this point), but there's a leap from that to thinking she willingly ran off with Rhaegar

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Mike N Eich posted:

Why would Brandon know that Rhaegar didn't kidnap Lyanna? Where would he have learned that

I think most folks who were around knew that Lyanna wasn't into Robert (who I believe had already fathered a bastard at this point), but there's a leap from that to thinking she willingly ran off with Rhaegar

Unless the books operated on TV show logic it would be safe to assume everyone involved knew that Lyanna was into Rhaegar and not into Robert, Robert too. The thing is that Brandon would have ridden to the Red Keep whether it was kidnapping or not, because they cared about the politics of wedding Robert to Lyanna, not about who Lyanna was attracted to.

A world of ice and fire also has some text about the circumstances of the kidnapping, wherein Lyanna went unexpectedly to oldstones and there rhaegar "attacked" her party or something like that which sounds pretty flimsy. I can look it up later. though my opinion is largely based on conjecture.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mike N Eich posted:

imo he probably knew because the unspoken story of the Tourney of Harrenhal is that Rhaegar figured out Lyanna was the knight of the laughing tree and that's when they fell in love and also made kind of a public show of it at the end.

I guess it's possible that it never came up again between them for a whole 2 years but it seems unlikely.

It still doesn't make much sense because I don't think GRRM really thought it all out in the first place, or he has some background info on Rhaegar/Lyanna's courtship in those two years that wasn't filled in yet.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
It may be just me reading into show stuff a bit more than I should, but when Bran tells Sam about R+L, he doesn't say that the rebellion was based on a misconception or a mistake, but that it was built on a lie. Being lied to is different than making a false assumption, and it's been postulated that the liar in question could have been Littlefinger himself, who had a grudge against Brandon and was hanging around at the Crossroads Inn around the same time, still butthurt about losing the duel for Cat. If Littlefinger did indeed sow some of his trademark chaos by telling Brandon that Rhaegar had forcefully abducted Lyanna, it makes sense that Brandon would just go down to King's Landing and try to fight Rhaegar, and it also would echo Littlefinger's plot in the first book to get Ned Stark killed.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Trudis posted:

It may be just me reading into show stuff a bit more than I should, but when Bran tells Sam about R+L, he doesn't say that the rebellion was based on a misconception or a mistake, but that it was built on a lie. Being lied to is different than making a false assumption, and it's been postulated that the liar in question could have been Littlefinger himself, who had a grudge against Brandon and was hanging around at the Crossroads Inn around the same time, still butthurt about losing the duel for Cat. If Littlefinger did indeed sow some of his trademark chaos by telling Brandon that Rhaegar had forcefully abducted Lyanna, it makes sense that Brandon would just go down to King's Landing and try to fight Rhaegar, and it also would echo Littlefinger's plot in the first book to get Ned Stark killed.

lady dustin seems to think that the rebellion was on the way well before lyanna was taken, which like, yeah. the alliance between starks arryns tullys and baratheons was already set up before r+l. theres no lie

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Figuring out that Lyanna never liked Robert is one of the more fun things to tease out on your own and it kind of sucks that the show just said it out loud, but at the same time I guess even dumb butts should enjoy how funny it is that the entire saga here is kicked off by Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds refusing to admit his crush turned him down.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Trudis posted:

How would Littlefinger do that, he was at his basically meaningless holding on the fingers wasn't he? And Brandon didn't have any respect for him, he beat him in a duel and only left him alive because Catelyn asked him to. Why would he listen to him? It seems more likely Varys had something to do with it, though I can't really fathom his reasoning.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

it’s because starks are dumb as poo poo

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Counterpoint to the Seven not existing. Sansa is the most devout worshipper of the Seven in the book, she prays to them to hurt Joffrey and everything she prays for happens to him.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

HidaO-Win posted:

Counterpoint to the Seven not existing. Sansa is the most devout worshipper of the Seven in the book, she prays to them to hurt Joffrey and everything she prays for happens to him.

On the other hand the leeches supposedly killed all the usurpers.

On another hand an atheist poisoned Joffrey, someone who doesn't give a poo poo about the strictest of the laws of the gods killed Robb (et al), and an evil wizard that does human sacrifices to dark gods killed Balon Greyjoy, and all of them had their motivations well before the fire god got involved.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

counter counter point: a pussy ghost made by a follower of rhollor killed the 4th usurper

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

counter counter point: a pussy ghost made by a follower of rhollor killed the 4th usurper

That one definitely directly gets a point for fire god, as does the resurrections.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The war lasted less than a year starting from Lyanna and Rhaegar eloping together in secret, Brandon was headed for his wedding with Cat when he instead rode to King's Landing and got himself arrested, than it took months for the northern Lords to ride to King's Landing where they got executed and Aerys called for Robert and Ned's heads, which prompted Jon Arryn to call his banners and start the war.

So, odds are that Lyanna was already a few months in to a difficult pregnancy. It makes sense to me.

really? huh.

i could have sworn the siege of Storm's End alone lasted for over a year (per stannis), and that wouldn't even have started until a good ways into the war, after Robert was forced to retreat into the Riverlands.

but the Robert's Rebellion timeline is famously screwy even by Gurm standards, i probably shouldn't try to reason through it that way

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Unless the books operated on TV show logic it would be safe to assume everyone involved knew that Lyanna was into Rhaegar and not into Robert, Robert too. The thing is that Brandon would have ridden to the Red Keep whether it was kidnapping or not, because they cared about the politics of wedding Robert to Lyanna, not about who Lyanna was attracted to.

A world of ice and fire also has some text about the circumstances of the kidnapping, wherein Lyanna went unexpectedly to oldstones and there rhaegar "attacked" her party or something like that which sounds pretty flimsy. I can look it up later. though my opinion is largely based on conjecture.

I can imagine Brandon not catching on to Lyanna's dislike of Robert or imagining she was just kvetching and would get over it.

Brandon after all was just Slim Robert (or Robert was just Thicc Brandon) so it might've taken some self-awareness he probably lacked in order to realize Robert's behavior was offputting

re: anyone lying about Lyanna's elopement to call it kidnapping

It makes sense that somebody might have. Brandon didn't go to King's Landing alone - he was accompanied by a whole group of young noblemen, not all of whom were Stark vassals he could easily command through fealty or peer pressure. It makes sense that there were some broader dissembly that kept any of those guys from going "wait, Bran my man, maybe threatening the life of the crown prince, in the middle of the royal capital, is a bad idea?"

That said, it didn't have to be one of the big schemer characters that did it. Littlefinger orchestrating both wars would be an over-the-top scheming achievement even in a Gurm book

It could have been whatever retainers were supposed to be chaperoning Lyanna, trying to cover their asses.

Or maybe Benjen hosed it up somehow
(there are a lot of fan theories that the reason Benjen took the black, during a time when the Stark succession was perilous, is because he had somehow colluded in setting up the R+L elopement and felt responsible for the entire war)

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

TK-42-1 posted:

it’s because starks are dumb as poo poo

The wolf blood they call it,Lyanna had a touch of it and Brandon more than a touch. Real good for punching poo poo not good for much else.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Starks are well written as the “straight guys” or “normal men” of the series. Until you reread or rewatch the series and realize that while they have some bad rear end moments, they cannot compete in the world of politicking and backstabbing that is constantly happening.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

The Starks are well written as the “straight guys” or “normal men” of the series. Until you reread or rewatch the series and realize that while they have some bad rear end moments, they cannot compete in the world of politicking and backstabbing that is constantly happening.

I think they’re the straight guys because most people can’t operate on that level of constantly scrutinizing their own actions. They do what they have to do and follow the rules and things generally work out. When confronted with people who don’t give a poo poo and take what they want they don’t know how to react. It’s just in this setting it gets you killed rather than just irritated that some guy just cut in line.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That is 100% accurate. Was it ever stated if GRRM actually intended for Ned to “seem” like he was the “lead character?”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

That is 100% accurate. Was it ever stated if GRRM actually intended for Ned to “seem” like he was the “lead character?”

In the end it’s the story of the Starks defeating their enemies so yes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

chaosapiant posted:

Going in blind I was shocked they killed Ned because he absolutely seemed like the big lead character.

Especially when you consider his kids are only 13 and he was definitely no older than 30 because of the weird marriage ages. He seemed like the young dad hero.

Turns out his oldest boy was the hero.

Oh no. Oh no no no.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

ned being a lord is a abberation. he was raised to be a vassal to his brother so he is very loyal and honourable and unambitious and a big fat loving dipshit. he never realizes that he was trained wrong, as a joke, and so he raises his own kids to be like him, complete morons who are utterly unsuited to moving in the halls of power in feudalism

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ned being a lord is a abberation. he was raised to be a vassal to his brother so he is very loyal and honourable and unambitious and a big fat loving dipshit. he never realizes that he was trained wrong, as a joke, and so he raises his own kids to be like him, complete morons who are utterly unsuited to moving in the halls of power in feudalism

And then the Tully blood came along

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Starks and the Northerners are definitely smarter in the books than the show. In the books they get outmaneuvered by playing against chessmasters while they have all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. In the show you end up questioning how any of them manage to accomplish anything when every single northern lord is a regressive jackass who responds to a threat by being smug and thinking they can ride it out.

There is no way the show northerners could plan something out as meticulously as Manderley's insurrection.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

people forget that being a Big Honorable Doof is not really the historical stark trait

the historical stark traits are, apparently, either "reckless hot-blooded marauder" or "hard grim bastard"

ned probably picked up most of his values in the Vale
ned's also an extreme introvert with a lot of social anxieties, who likely grew up using honor and courtesies as excuses not to engage with people in ways he was uncomfortable with

Calaveron posted:

And then the Tully blood came along

imo people have the wrong idea about tullys

because of cat and edmure (although As We Know edmure in reality did nothing wrong) people seem to've decided the tullys are, like starks, Big Honorable Doofs

really the historical tullys would have to've been savvy politics assholes in order to survive the untenable position they're in

Hoster probably was that, at any rate

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 30, 2019

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i get why people don't want to engage with Fire & Blood (write the drat actual book GRRM, etc)

there's some fun stuff in there though

Cregan Stark kramering into King's Landing, going "yeah yeah, complex geopolitical issues, whatever, i'll fix this whole mess in like an hour if you just let me chop the heads off of all the obviously shady guys standing over in that corner" and waving his dick around for 1 day before going home

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 30, 2019

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Trudis posted:

This is way too much to read into a late-season GOT line that D&D didn't think twice about. They wrote that line because they didn't know about Southron Ambitions and probably even forgot that Brandon and Rickard were burned alive and Aerys called for Ned and Robert's heads, since that's what actually kicked off the rebellion

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

HidaO-Win posted:

counter-counter-counterpoint.

Sansa prays all the time and her life was a never ending nightmare.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think Sansa's less a devout worshipper and more 'oh god i have literally nothing but my mother's religion and my father's religion to offer me some semblence of comfort, maybe if i pray something good will happen'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

PupsOfWar posted:

people forget that being a Big Honorable Doof is not really the historical stark trait

the historical stark traits are, apparently, either "reckless hot-blooded marauder" or "hard grim bastard"

ned probably picked up most of his values in the Vale
ned's also an extreme introvert with a lot of social anxieties, who likely grew up using honor and courtesies as excuses not to engage with people in ways he was uncomfortable with

imo people have the wrong idea about tullys

because of cat and edmure (although As We Know edmure in reality did nothing wrong) people seem to've decided the tullys are, like starks, Big Honorable Doofs

really the historical tullys would have to've been savvy politics assholes in order to survive the untenable position they're in

Hoster probably was that, at any rate

There's a lot of like, assuming the backstory to GoT makes sense in here.