Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The most important part of the free update: school buses! My perfect small Midwest town gets closer. Speaking of, is there some way to throttle down these dang trucks? I want to dump barns and silos out on tiny roads, but they choke under the hundreds of trucks. I just want an animated model train world, stop being so productive, you jerks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
There’s an industry mod on the workshop (I’ll check when I get home) that removes a lot of the traffic and makes the trucks carry more. It had a noticeable positive difference for me.

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007
I wonder if the Dev team has data on the Mods people install and use, and can see the split of the userbase that goes hardcore into the super-realistic detail and traffic, versus the people who play a version closer to the ideas of the base game. If so I imagine it has to drive their concepts of the DLC and whatever Cities: Skylines 2 could become.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

pointlessone posted:

The most important part of the free update: school buses! My perfect small Midwest town gets closer. Speaking of, is there some way to throttle down these dang trucks? I want to dump barns and silos out on tiny roads, but they choke under the hundreds of trucks. I just want an animated model train world, stop being so productive, you jerks!

Try https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1562650024 and https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1721492498.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I'm a mega-casual who doesn't get off on traffic network efficiency crap. I just want to build cute towns that, while not necessarily 'optimal', are at least functional and self-sustaining.

I feel like booting the game up again, but I every time I play this I end up making perfect grid hellscapes because it's the path of least resistance and I can't help myself. Any tips to force myself off of that behavior? I want to try something different because all my games end up feeling same-y. Maybe a better question is, how do you guys keep things fresh for subsequent playthroughs?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

facepalmolive posted:

I'm a mega-casual who doesn't get off on traffic network efficiency crap. I just want to build cute towns that, while not necessarily 'optimal', are at least functional and self-sustaining.

I feel like booting the game up again, but I every time I play this I end up making perfect grid hellscapes because it's the path of least resistance and I can't help myself. Any tips to force myself off of that behavior? I want to try something different because all my games end up feeling same-y. Maybe a better question is, how do you guys keep things fresh for subsequent playthroughs?
Go grab a map off of the workshop that's got a ton of hills and rivers and other terrain, then force yourself to build along it while minimizing use of terrain tools. Can't make a grid if you are physically unable.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I usually build along a river. Forces me to bend the roads, which puts me very far away from "grid hell".

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've tried to look, but do you guys know off hand of any mods that make the commercial need more realistic? The amount of shops these dudes need is mental.

My town has a population of ~18,000 and we have about a square mile of shops if that.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

AceClown posted:

I've tried to look, but do you guys know off hand of any mods that make the commercial need more realistic? The amount of shops these dudes need is mental.

My town has a population of ~18,000 and we have about a square mile of shops if that.

The trick with commercial is just ignore the demand meter and only build as much as you want to. There is no real downside to building less commercial than the game tries to get you to.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
20% tax you say.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The realistic population mod is good for that. Downside is that I added a small "high density area" and that area immediately became the worst traffic hell i've ever seen.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

These helped quite a bit, but I need more/less!

I want to kill off 90% of my traffic in general. I think I'm going to have to but the bullet and figure out how to write mods for this game. Sleepy little 6 block towns shouldn't have 400 trucks on the streets because there's a few fields worth of apple trees nearby!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dogstile posted:

The realistic population mod is good for that. Downside is that I added a small "high density area" and that area immediately became the worst traffic hell i've ever seen.

Realistic population is an excellent opportunity to develop your non-car transit.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

pointlessone posted:

These helped quite a bit, but I need more/less!

I want to kill off 90% of my traffic in general. I think I'm going to have to but the bullet and figure out how to write mods for this game. Sleepy little 6 block towns shouldn't have 400 trucks on the streets because there's a few fields worth of apple trees nearby!

I've been running on those and I don't recall getting that much truck traffic? I also run with the realistic population mod mentioned above, it also reduces goods production. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

Note that that mod rebalances residential such that you're gonna have to add a lot of low-density residential before you can hit the population thresholds needed to unlock high-density. Whether you like this or not is up to you, but having installed it without knowing that tidbit I was thrown off by how long it was taking me to unlock stuff.

(And then when you start using high-density your pop shoots way up)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 28, 2019

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Kyte posted:

I've been running on those and I don't recall getting that much truck traffic? I also run with the realistic population mod mentioned above, it also reduces goods production. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

Note that that mod rebalances residential such that you're gonna have to add a lot of low-density residential before you can hit the population thresholds needed to unlock high-density. Whether you like this or not is up to you, but having installed it without knowing that tidbit I was thrown off by how long it was taking me to unlock stuff.

(And then when you start using high-density your pop shoots way up)

Population mod was exactly what I needed! I'm sandboxing, so I'm not worried about thresholds, but single family houses and suburban hell is exactly what I was looking for.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

It definitely helps to have something on your map that forces you to build around it, even if it's as simple as "trees lining the edges of what notionally are fields".

My current map has that and I'm running my main roads along one side of the tree lines, then doing infill/smoothing as needed. It's making things interesting so far!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Well folks I'm back in the city building life.

I was proudly showing off my city to my partner last night and was pointing out all the little details in the nice downtown area. We zoomed into a a high density housing building and estimated how many people lived there and remarked that it seemed like a nice place to live.

Then the came slammed a meteor directly into it smoking a third of the small city. :stonklol:

So we've repurposed it has a memorial park in the middle of the city!

Anyways, what major mods should I be using? I have no clue how to use the built in terran editors. Its so wild to me how even with the click strength set to .05 or something a single click of the raise/lower tool slams a massive trench in the city.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This is not really related to anything, but as a small reminder, zones and their growables will cover trees but won't destroy them, so they're still there, invisible, eating up resource limits.

I didn't test very much to see if they still had a gameplay effect (land value didn't change in the short term, at least) but if you're short on trees for whatever reason (I am aware there's a mod for that but still) or perhaps you wanna free up some computer resources consider picking them with the move it mod and deleting them.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
This goddamn game just made me spend a few hundred dollars on memory.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Albino Squirrel posted:

This goddamn game just made me spend a few hundred dollars on memory.

A few hundred? How much did you get??

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

TigerXtrm posted:

A few hundred? How much did you get??
Er, for a couple of laptops. 16 gb for one, 32 gb for the other. Also everything is more expensive here :canada:

Edit: I can write it off as long as I buy at least part of it for my primary work laptop (which I occasionally take to conferences and unwind by buildin' cities), so it was kind of in my interest to go excessive and future-proof my computers.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 4, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I also ended up dropping about $200 on over-priced ram in Canada for this game when I was really going hard on mods.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
About 6 months ago I was cleaning out my desktop case when I noticed I had both 8 GB RAM sticks in different coloured DIMM slots from when I first put it together. Moved one of them over to the other DIMM slot and I instantly got me some dual channel RAM boost!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone have thoughts on the Campus DLC?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the Campus DLC?

I haven't played enough to bother getting it. I'm only 20 so hours in, but have only felt the need to buy Industries, Parks, and Green Cities on discount.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Welp, the time has come once again to hit the old Unsubscribe From All button. My game was taking forever to load, and I've been wanting to play with the asset editor (which has been crashing every time I open it now).

I think I'll be messing around with recreating some of the high density buildings in my area. Some of the apartments around here are quite nice, and I cant find anything quite like them in the workshop.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Welp, the time has come once again to hit the old Unsubscribe From All button. My game was taking forever to load, and I've been wanting to play with the asset editor (which has been crashing every time I open it now).

I think I'll be messing around with recreating some of the high density buildings in my area. Some of the apartments around here are quite nice, and I cant find anything quite like them in the workshop.

Speaking of mods, what are your must have mods?

I currently have:
TMPE, NetPicker, FineRoadAnarchy, Roundabout builder, Toggle Whiteness, pause on load, loading screen, AutoLineColor, parallel roads, and MoveIt.

Are there any non-insane large/filecount asset packages for themeing? (the theming of residential zones really appeals to me)

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

toplitzin posted:

Speaking of mods, what are your must have mods?

I currently have:
TMPE, NetPicker, FineRoadAnarchy, Roundabout builder, Toggle Whiteness, pause on load, loading screen, AutoLineColor, parallel roads, and MoveIt.

Are there any non-insane large/filecount asset packages for themeing? (the theming of residential zones really appeals to me)

I personally hate those modern white cubes that start to pop up everywhere once residential levels up to 5. Fixed that right quick with this theme, and it makes suburban residential districts look soooo much better.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=708649650

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Re-assembling my rico and mods after a big purge is fun. It's like going shopping without spending money.

I've probably asked this before, but which is the mod with the good zonable pedestrian paths and narrow roads / alleyways

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Re-assembling my rico and mods after a big purge is fun. It's like going shopping without spending money.

I've probably asked this before, but which is the mod with the good zonable pedestrian paths and narrow roads / alleyways

I think Network Extensions 2 is the go to mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/812125426/152391285459608307/

Be careful of zoning on ped paths, if it's shops and houses it sometimes goes wonky as they still need deliveries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Network extensions zonable paths are actually just roads with a low speed and traffic weight so it shouldn't affect them other than it taking ages for cars to get down them.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TigerXtrm posted:

I personally hate those modern white cubes that start to pop up everywhere once residential levels up to 5. Fixed that right quick with this theme, and it makes suburban residential districts look soooo much better.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=708649650

Do I need to go to this page and grab everything here?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=646175418

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

toplitzin posted:

Do I need to go to this page and grab everything here?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=646175418

Yeah, just subscribe to that whole collection, paint a district in the game and then apply the theme to it. Things will be beautiful in about 15 minutes or so.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thoughts on the DLCs during this Steam Summer Sale?

I'm looking to get back into C:S and only have snowfall / after dark. Once I add in Campus / Industries / Green Cities / Mass Transit / Park Life, I'm pretty drat close to the Just-Buy-It-All package in price.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Thoughts on the DLCs during this Steam Summer Sale?

I'm looking to get back into C:S and only have snowfall / after dark. Once I add in Campus / Industries / Green Cities / Mass Transit / Park Life, I'm pretty drat close to the Just-Buy-It-All package in price.

Mass Transit - Adds monorails and poo poo, gently caress yes.

Park Life - Actually makes non square empty space useful for something. Custom parks that influence the areas around them. gently caress yes.

Industries - Actually makes industry interesting to mess with, even if you probably need mods to fix the terrible traffic and money balance. Big yes.

Campus - I don't own this and haven't played with the features either. The education overhaul is part of the free stuff in this expansion. Up to you if you care about the paid stuff.

Green cities - Essentially useless. It has some cleaner waste and power buildings, but does nothing that mods haven't already done or do better.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I've been on a Skylines kick recently. I used to play with a city until traffic ate it and then meteor it when I couldn't comprehend the spaghetti junction that I created trying to save the city. I am so happy I found Sam Bur and Biffa because they actually taught me how to deal with traffic. I'm better but I still rely on premade junctions to save my life. The opening goal with this city was building a freeway to avoid traffic death. Still ended up demolishing entire districts a few hours later to completely rebuild stuff but that's life. I'm really happy with my current city even if it's kind of a mishmash. I tend to just focus on one chunk at a time and then worry about getting everything connected.

and the pièce de résistance: I needed a 3 way traffic intersection over water and the premade junctions created land under them. It took several hours to line it up, convert the whole thing to being on pillars and then lining it up again because one of my freeways was at an angle. I also accidentally created a bellend on the right there. It was two roundabouts that became one sometime around hour two of trying to fit everything in that section together.

Extra from a really old city: The Mountain - the most creative I've ever gotten with this game. It's not that special.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I'm a new guy to the Cities: skylines too.

My 3rd city ended up in disaster, because I used a sweet looking user-made map and my citizens drank the river dry.
I also had contaminated the whole seaside with my waste-waters, because it made the city look more industrial hell-hole.
It might have been salvageable, but eh. Time to get some sweet DLC at discount and restart

I only noticed the water problem, because I was suddenly tens of thousands dollars in red. Oops.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Your river is flowing with chocolate milk! Awesome!

That's not...... Oh god it's not chocolate milk....

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I have very cheap plots to sell near the river on the exposed river bed. No flood insurance needed (it's guaranteed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had a scenario where a river flooded my powerplant for a second, knocking out power to pumping stations, then hopelessly flooding the power station. Being somewhat realistic about it, I diverted the river and let the flooding subside, the city was a wasteland by the time things recovered.