Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, going ballistic is a much better way of getting around a planet than atmospheric fight. If your destination is more than 30 or 40 seconds of flight away it's faster to just go straight up until you're in space, aim at your target, and pulse back down.

And yes sentinel ships exist. At least it's possible to escape them now. For the longest time if you were wanted at all and went into space they would literally hunt you forever unless you could get to a station. Since you can't use pulse in combat this really loving sucked.

There's also sentinel capital ships that show up if you have 4 stars while in space, and they're the only thing in the game that's still legitimately threatening even if you have a maxed out combat ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Powershift posted:

the rift s just came out today, but i want to try it first because even Palmer Luckey, the dude who started it, said that he can't even use it comfortable because of it's non-adjustable IPD.

I've got a big ol' head, so i'm a little worried.

People with IPD of 170 have said it was fine for them.

I'm at 64mm so basically the middle of the sweet spot, so I'm not worried about it personally. I'm not sure he even tried the thing, he was just going off the raw numbers and past experience.

Of course they changed my arrival date from today, with tracking number, to Friday now, so I have to wait.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hamelekim posted:

People with IPD of 170 have said it was fine for them.

:sterv:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

lol, oh yeah, I mean 70mm not 170mm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remember Luckey was also canned from Oculus, so him taking digs at the Rift S isnt the end of the world

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember staying just ahead of a space sentinel for ages because I’d pulsed away, and then it caught up to me in the middle of nowhere. I had to stay full thrusters for about 20 minutes until I reached the nearest planet so I could enter the atmosphere. It was like a personal TLJ.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Powershift posted:

the rift s just came out today, but i want to try it first because even Palmer Luckey, the dude who started it, said that he can't even use it comfortable because of it's non-adjustable IPD.

I've got a big ol' head, so i'm a little worried.

The Rift S has software based IPD adjustment, so you're not completely hosed.

:lol:

Is anyone on the Vulkan build of the game? I just switched over to it and I'm seeing absolutely no performance gains at all.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
AFAIK it's really only better if you're on AMD hardware.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh, well RIP.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I use NVidia and Vulkan works better in Doom at least; haven't tried it in NMS. Afaik, Vulkan also helps game performance when your system has a good video card, but a not so new CPU. It puts more strain on the gfx card so those folks get better performance. So if you're CPU and vid card are solid, it's probably diminishing returns. I could be way off base on that one though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agent355 posted:

Thought I'd give the game a chance since it's half off and w/e, man this tutorial is some painful garbage.

E: the game wants me to build a base and a computer and hire staff and stuff but that seems really weird? Can I easily move this thing in one big chunk later, or teleport back whenever I want or something? Putting down roots in a game about being a space nomad/explorer seems awkward and unhelpful.

Do I need to find the 'right' spot to put down a base or does it not really matter?

I just got this during the Steam sale, and my first thought was similar: why am I building a base in an exploration game that's so vast? It turns out that it's handy for a number of reasons. No matter where it is, you can always teleport back to it, and then just port back to where you came from, no matter how far off. It's like making your own save points. Also do all the base quests because that's how you get a shitload of critical technologies and blueprints. Many of the "where do I find X blueprint" questions have the answer "by doing the base quests."

I'm enjoying the game most at the moment because no matter what goal I have when I sit down to play, or what mission I'm trying to complete, situations emerge naturally from the core gameplay that shift my focus indefinitely. "Just need to find some Solar Vine, wait, is that a crashed ship??? And it's so much nicer than mine - OK from this point I'm all about that ship."

Hot tip: this goes against the post earlier in the thread, but drop pods become quite useful once your cargo slots start costing millions of units. The repair ingredients are easy as poo poo to come by and then the slot is free.

Also you can never have enough Chromatic Metal.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone playing this on Xbox? Is it the same version as what's on Steam?

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm enjoying the game most at the moment because no matter what goal I have when I sit down to play, or what mission I'm trying to complete, situations emerge naturally from the core gameplay that shift my focus indefinitely. "Just need to find some Solar Vine, wait, is that a crashed ship??? And it's so much nicer than mine - OK from this point I'm all about that ship."

I also bought this during the sale and I have the same experience with finding a lot of stuff. I lost the location of one drop pod because I happened to rely on just marking it in the.. uh, scanner/visor?
Then I flew off to gather materials to repair it and somehow the small bookmark got lost. Next time I found one I built a base computer next to it instead, since I haven't found/unlocked enough for beacons yet.

By the way, can anyone confirm that if I use the signal booster on a bunch of navigation data, the HUD will only remember the most recent 5 or so?

Edit: I was able to scam a seller out of the ship I traded to him:
My starter ship was on the pod next to the one I wanted to buy. I talked to him and compared the 2 ships, then selected the trade-option (and pay 1.5 m difference or so).
Immediately after that transaction was completed, I looked at my old ship which was now abandoned for some reason. I pressed E on it and I again got to talk to the guy who got it from me.
I compared the 2 ships and the option to "Buy and add to collection" was present at a cost of 0, so I did.

Mongolian Queef fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 29, 2019

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

How's that guy gonna get home now

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

slicing up eyeballs posted:

How's that guy gonna get home now

If he just follows the tutorial, he'll figure it out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm stuck in the tutorial. I've been to the space station and started my base but the game wants me to go to some red beacon? I get to the planet, head for the beacon for 10 (real) minutes and never get there. Hit the space bar and it says the pulse engines are offline due to atmospheric interference. All help appreciated.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you have to travel a long distance around a planet, it’s way faster to bounce out of the atmosphere entirely and fly around it in space. Head up until your speed stabilizes in the 2000s and you should be able to activate the faster drives.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I need cobalt. Where can I get it? Traders and exchanges don’t have enough or too expensive for my early game and I need it for a drop pod I found.

Also, antimatter housing. I need that to be able to warp to other systems. Easy way to find it? Note I haven’t found a blueprint to make one.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Cobalt is a naturally occurring resource. Some planets have large deposits, others will have smaller rocks containing cobalt in or near caves.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah it's usually in caves. If you find a planet with subterranean relics, those things give vortex cubes and tetracobalt when collected. The cubes are just for selling, but the tetracobalt refines into a good chunk of cobalt.

As far as the antimatter housing, I'm pretty sure you get that blueprint for doing one of the early storyline or tutorial quests, don't you?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah it's usually in caves. If you find a planet with subterranean relics, those things give vortex cubes and tetracobalt when collected. The cubes are just for selling, but the tetracobalt refines into a good chunk of cobalt.

As far as the antimatter housing, I'm pretty sure you get that blueprint for doing one of the early storyline or tutorial quests, don't you?

It didn’t appear in my inventory crafting menu when I got to where I am now. I’ve done some base building to the point I need a science dude who is in another system.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Do the PC players find the controls better for controller than mouse and keyboard? I am using M&K and have found a lot of the menus and ship navigation kinda suck.

Also, when building I notice there is no option to move something. I am assuming I am refunded in some way when I scrap something I've built so I can move stuff. Working my way through the base tutorial and was annoyed that the storage containers didn't seem to snap to the floors/walls I had made.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

graynull posted:

Do the PC players find the controls better for controller than mouse and keyboard? I am using M&K and have found a lot of the menus and ship navigation kinda suck.

Also, when building I notice there is no option to move something. I am assuming I am refunded in some way when I scrap something I've built so I can move stuff. Working my way through the base tutorial and was annoyed that the storage containers didn't seem to snap to the floors/walls I had made.

I use controllers exclusively on the PC version. It was made for it.

You have to scrap to move objects you build. You're refunded the build cost.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

graynull posted:

I use controller on PC. This is a “lean back and relax” Kinda game so mouse and keyboard don’t feel right.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I also use a controller but I use a mouse for menuing because christ it's bad enough as it is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It didn’t appear in my inventory crafting menu when I got to where I am now. I’ve done some base building to the point I need a science dude who is in another system.
You're supposed to receive it during the tutorial missions where you find your ship, repair your damaged ship components, then in a chain of building launch fuel, antimatter, housing, then a warp cell. If your ship isn't still damaged and you don't have a quest to build those components your game has probably bugged out and you'll have to either drag yourself around trade terminals trying to buy warp cells or restart.

add me to pc players who use a controller because the menu system is awful any other way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

If you have to travel a long distance around a planet, it’s way faster to bounce out of the atmosphere entirely and fly around it in space. Head up until your speed stabilizes in the 2000s and you should be able to activate the faster drives.

I wonder if hardware limitations prevent letting us fly at Mach speed while close to the surface. I would love the ability to do that, too really fly around a planet without taking literally an hour or two.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I use controller for vehicles and mouse and keyboard for on foot and for most menu stuff.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The official Steam Controller bindings worked really well for NMS for a while but in one update they forgot to bind anything to "ok" on the main menu so you couldn't launch a game. There were also loads of little issues with navigating around the trade windows so I eventually just switched back to standard controller bindings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR WHEN

Sean give it to us you coward

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sean doesn't have time for the likes of you.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I think base building was a side quest, can you continue the main story quest again from the menu? it takes annoyingly long to learn to craft it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I think base building was a side quest, can you continue the main story quest again from the menu? it takes annoyingly long to learn to craft it.

Sigh, I got tutorial'd hard. It wants me to find antimatter fuel from a unknown signal rather than recognize the one that is already in my inventory. God dammit. Thanks.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

VR WHEN

Sean give it to us you coward
I had a weird thought about VR and NMS today. One of the things about VR is that you immediately get a much better sense of scale/depth/distance, and one of the things about NMS is that different objects in the game live in overlapping but massively inconsistent coordinate systems (just think how big a system's space station looks in the sky or compared to the planet it's orbiting when viewed from a distance, but how small the space station is when you actually get to it).

I wonder if moving to VR will force the game to do things at a grander and more consistent scale?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always thought the stations seemed right size-wise. They are absolutely gargantuan if you try to fly around them with no booster or light thrust.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is a limit to the distance you can perceive in VR, beyond a certain point there's less parallax than the distance between pixels so there's no depth effect and your eyes focus to infinity. Stations in space will probably be well beyond that point so it might not even look weird.

I think what I'm most looking forward to in VR is landing on a freighter, especially the wide battleship ones. Least, the way your ship spins around on every landing pad :barf:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

haveblue posted:

There is a limit to the distance you can perceive in VR, beyond a certain point there's less parallax than the distance between pixels so there's no depth effect and your eyes focus to infinity. Stations in space will probably be well beyond that point so it might not even look weird.

I think what I'm most looking forward to in VR is landing on a freighter, especially the wide battleship ones. Least, the way your ship spins around on every landing pad :barf:

Your brain expects that sort of movement and accepts it as long as you are sitting down I find. It's why you can fly in a plane in VR and be fine. But start spinning around like that standing and you will get sick.

The sense of scale is really going to make exploration more enjoyable. The size of creatures, plants, planets, and caves will really add to the enjoyment of the game in VR.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope there's some environment interaction too, like picking things up manually and stuff. I wouldn't expect it since it's not really in the base game but I love that stuff in VR when there's a nice physics engine and you can pick stuff up, look at it and throw it around. At least shooting will be something pretty neat that I rarely if ever do in the base game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/1139255142744829952?s=21

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Next they should crowdfund some gameplay.

What a lovely loving industry when you have to be thankful a company didn't abandon or sell DLC for their early access game.