Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

neongrey posted:

I'm gonna give project demi a try this year-- but geez, the translation is... I saw people waving that off, but you gotta remember, it's not just the cutscenes that are translated, it's every item in the game and it's gonna be real disorienting using the stuff they went with for it. Wish the GBA translation backport were supported.

But the SNES names are the ones used in the algorithm guide making them the most useful to read.

SNES translation is good, y'all are crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginfs4TY0oo

The appointed hour is nearly upon us. GET HYPE.

I watch this every year, and indeed, I do get hype. Up until 9:45 it's good and after that it's loving amazing, without ever even touching Big Bridge.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Forbidden not being tied to the GBA jobs is interesting. I liked that having it be forced to use one meant that without a mod, you had to balance three jobs instead of four for the entire game which was really interesting. I don't know if RegAdvance will guarantee an advance job so I don't know if that kind of element will be exactly replicable again.

I might have been in the minority in liking that though. Ah well. I'll probably do something more normal if that's how it's going to go.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone's interested, I made a Double AP Patch for the GBA version. It also makes ALL battles reward AP, which comes in handy if you like to just start with all jobs unlocked (like me).

Since Project Demi offers a Quad AP option, I can make one of those if anyone wants.

Also, Can Of Worms, if you don't mind, can you share any tools you have for editing FFVA? I found 2 that let me edit some things, but nothing that will let me add more skills to jobs or grant innate abilites like you did for your Balance Patch.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 29, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

If anyone's interested, I made a Double AP Patch for the GBA version. It also makes ALL battles reward AP, which comes in handy if you like to just start with all jobs unlocked (like me).

Since Project Demi offers a Quad AP option, I can make one of those if anyone wants.

Also, Can Of Worms, if you don't mind, can you share any tools you have for editing FFVA? I found 2 that let me edit some things, but nothing that will let me add more skills to jobs or grant innate abilites like you did for your Balance Patch.

Interesting, I assume using one of these doesn't invalidate your run or anything?

... Not that anyone could even check that since this is all on the honor system anyway, I guess. But I might use one of these since I always want to do a run or two but end up having no time to finish it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Interesting, I assume using one of these doesn't invalidate your run or anything?

... Not that anyone could even check that since this is all on the honor system anyway, I guess. But I might use one of these since I always want to do a run or two but end up having no time to finish it.

There's too many ways one could stealthily cheat and finding ways to validate runs around that poo poo would be horrendous, so RK goes by the honor system. By which I mean he doesn't LIKE the idea of letting modded runs through, but he accepts it as kind of a necessary evil. It's for charity anyway!

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

And if you feel bad about cheating you could always donate something!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Shyfted One posted:

Was just trying to think of what party I'd hate to have and it'd probably be Bard, Berserker, Dancer, Dragoon in that order. You're going to be ok, but World 1 going to suuuuck. Maybe even reverse the Dancer and Dragoon so you can't even rely on sword dance until later.

I think you'd be okay once you get past Byblos. Bard songs and the Death Sickle should carry you through the rest of World 1. The same team with Monk instead of Berserker would be horrible until you reach World 3 though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The worst no-modifiers FJF team (so one job from each crystal) is pretty universally felt to be Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Not only is there essentially no synergy, but all four jobs are incredibly ineffectual, and three of the four are made of sugarglass on top of that.

The only potential swap would be Berserker in Red Mage's spot; it's a choice you have to make between "as bad as un-boosted freelancer in pretty much every stat" versus "literally cannot be controlled".

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

The worst no-modifiers FJF team (so one job from each crystal) is pretty universally felt to be Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Not only is there essentially no synergy, but all four jobs are incredibly ineffectual, and three of the four are made of sugarglass on top of that.

The only potential swap would be Berserker in Red Mage's spot; it's a choice you have to make between "as bad as un-boosted freelancer in pretty much every stat" versus "literally cannot be controlled".

Equip Axes Geomancer and Barehanded zerker :black101:

Red Mages are awful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

KataraniSword posted:

Monk's not that bad as long as you keep their levels high enough. They just have a bad reputation because people want to rush through Fiesta runs.

Monk/Dancer is a rough combo, though. The Monk needs levels, so you have to fight random encounters, but the Dancer needs a maxed out Chicken Knife, so you're going to have to do a lot of running. You can end up needing to do a lot of grinding at the end for that one.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

A patch that reduces the cost of DualCast to something sane would make red mages less of an issue. They still wouldn't be great or even good, but at least they'd have some use.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
will this be the year that the laws of the universe mean something

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

fits posted:

will this be the year that the laws of the universe mean something

It'll be the year of the dragon grass modifier. Whatever that ends up meaning.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1133937139622617089

vv: Oh.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 30, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The grass is the indicator that the person streams their runs.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single
Ooh, that's seriously tempting. I've been wanting to hit all the jobs since like my second year. Especially with this (although it's a darn shame it's not one per run or choose best!):
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1133908383441063941

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

So I've been doing some planning, and I have this set as a decent path:

Run 1 (Zerker Risk) - Blue Mage, Berserker, Monk, Beastmaster

Blue Mage gives the all powerful !Blue, Berserker because Berserker Risk, Monk to both get it out of the way early and to use their massive HP to pump up White Wind, and Beastmaster to get all the support spells.

Run 2 - White Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger, Dragoon

White Mage for heals, Mystic Knight and Ranger for Spellblade Rapid Fire, and Dragoon as filler. You get Holy right before Omniscient at Fork Tower, so I have offensive magic for that fight.

Run 3 - Chemist, Knight, Ninja, Bard

Chemist has !Mix, Knight is a beatstick, Ninja gives AoE damage with scrolls plus can take !Equip Swords for more damage, Bard can sit back and buff speed. Do offensive Mixes count as magic for Omniscient? If not, just throw dual wielded Mage Mashers at him and fish for silence procs.

Run 4 - Red Mage, Black Mage, Thief, Samurai

Red Mage brings a bit of healing with dualcast Cura and can run !Black, Black Mage gets to dualcast all day long, Thief exists, and Samurai throws money away.

Run 5- Summoner, Geomancer, Dancer, Time Mage

Summoner means perpetual motion with Phoenix' full HP/MP revives, Geomancer stops field damage, Dancer gets to dance with the Chicken Knife, and Time Mage gives a pittance of early healing with Regen while giving an easy triple crown.

My main focus is giving every run some source of non-item healing, plus giving them some way to do everything in the game.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with GBA emulation on an Android phone? I have several hours of downtime a night and I am not doing another run on the Android port ever again.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Every year for years now I sign up for the Fiesta, and every bloody year something comes up and I never finish.

This year, for sure, damnit. *shakes fist*

Project Demi might help me with this, though, and I ain't even sorry.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Man with Hat posted:

But the SNES names are the ones used in the algorithm guide making them the most useful to read.

SNES translation is good, y'all are crazy

i've been doing this since 2013, everything in there i haven't memorized i have a handy calculator for

christ, has it really been that long?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I somehow didn't manage to finish a single run last year, and this is a great source of shame.

:toxx: ban me if I do that again this year :toxx:

Also I'm going to figure out something for a donation but I'm not very creative so it might be stupid :shobon:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BisbyWorl posted:

Run 3 - Chemist, Knight, Ninja, Bard

Chemist has !Mix, Knight is a beatstick, Ninja gives AoE damage with scrolls plus can take !Equip Swords for more damage, Bard can sit back and buff speed. Do offensive Mixes count as magic for Omniscient? If not, just throw dual wielded Mage Mashers at him and fish for silence procs.

!Mix does not count as magic and will trigger Omniscient's Reset counter. That said, if you're playing on the SNES, GBA or Playstation version, you could just use !Mix to inflict Berserk on Omniscient to prevent him from being able to use his counter script. Just make sure you set yourself up with some defenses before doing that, since he hits like a freight train once he's Berserked.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Does anyone have any experience with GBA emulation on an Android phone? I have several hours of downtime a night and I am not doing another run on the Android port ever again.

This is what I did. I used JohnGBA as my emulator since it can sync to Dropbox (other emulators probably do this too) and worked with my controller effortlessly.

When I had the time at home, I would hook my Chromebook up to my TV and play it that way; otherwise I was using touchscreen controls on my phone.

Not a perfect system but it got me through the game. I will probably do the same thing this year.

Also, I used the sound-patched GBA ROM. Never had any problems.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

W.T. Fits posted:

!Mix does not count as magic and will trigger Omniscient's Reset counter. That said, if you're playing on the SNES, GBA or Playstation version, you could just use !Mix to inflict Berserk on Omniscient to prevent him from being able to use his counter script. Just make sure you set yourself up with some defenses before doing that, since he hits like a freight train once he's Berserked.

Or just... not do Fork Tower? Chemist/Knight/Ninja/Bard has no need for anything past the Pyramid.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

BisbyWorl posted:

Run 2 - White Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger, Dragoon

White Mage for heals, Mystic Knight and Ranger for Spellblade Rapid Fire, and Dragoon as filler. You get Holy right before Omniscient at Fork Tower, so I have offensive magic for that fight.

I don't believe you can use Holy in that fight.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Poque posted:

I don't believe you can use Holy in that fight.

Correct, but Mystic Knight could literally not give less fucks about Omniscient. :v:

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Red Mage carries W1 by herself, can break rods for damage and can apply almost every status in the game by W3. As long as you don't have multiples, there's no way they should be in the worst party.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Red Mage is a White Mage that trades in Shell for rods.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Red Mage is a White Mage that trades in Shell for rods.

And an offensively garbage magic score. They have less loving magic power than Bards.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kyrosiris posted:

Or just... not do Fork Tower? Chemist/Knight/Ninja/Bard has no need for anything past the Pyramid.

What, and not butcher everything that lives? :v:

I could use Equip Shields and give someone the Istory Falls Aegis Shield, I guess.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Eh, you get Sleep, Old, Poison and Toad for Shell and Blink (and Holy, but I'm lazy and rarely do Fork).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

KataraniSword posted:

I'd much rather have Dancer than Dragoon in that line-up. Not just because Ribbons are great but because dancing with the Chicken Knife is the only worthwhile damage output you'll get in World 3.

I also think Red Mage is much better than Berserker in this setting. Far easier Worlds 1 and 2 due to rod-breaking, and World 3 gives you plenty of flexibility with the spell list up to level 3 and Wonder Wand/Power Staff shenanigans. Plus, Sword Dance with the Rune Blade and a Lamia's Tiara is actually decent damage. Berserker by comparison gives you little aside from Death Sickle. Even its endgame damage is going to be meh because you don't have a secondary ability that boosts the Magic score for the Rune Axe.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Oh God already? When does it start anyway, June?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ramc posted:

Oh God already? When does it start anyway, June?

Prereg is in a day, the Fiesta itself will be mid-June or so.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

W.T. Fits posted:

That team also has Knight, so I think they're well covered

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

agradine posted:

:v:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone have the data the popular setting is based on? There was a poll or something iirc.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

:dance:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

agradine posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

fool_of_sound posted:

Does anyone have the data the popular setting is based on? There was a poll or something iirc.

Isn't it usually the top jobs from the race poll? I don't think that's out yet.