Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Why is the House an issue? Don't Democrats own a huge advantage?

The House bill passed first, and included non-medical homegrows and different ways of dealing with convicted criminal offenders than the Senate bill that passed tonight.

So now the Senate bill has to be reconciled with the House bill, but I don't see that being a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The bill the passed the house already wasn't really about weed, weed was added as a senate amendment to a house bill that was originally a pawnbroker bill that passed waaaaaaaaay back in April. So it's being brought for a concurrence vote as an entirely different, way more substantial piece of legislation. There will be debate, maybe as much as we saw with the RHA and Fair Tax.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=1438&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=115810&SessionID=108&GA=101

The real legislation, which was a shell bill at first and then filled with language crafted by Sen. Steans and Rep. Cassidy was SB7:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=7&GAID=15&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=113579&SessionID=108&GA=101

However, the challenge in the house is steep because earlier in the session a resolution (http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=157&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HR&LegId=120713&SessionID=108&GA=101) to slow down recreational cannabis gained the support of a majority of members, 60 reps who could vote yes on it if it were called to the floor. But I doubt it's going to be, because that would be a humiliating defeat for the governor on this big campaign promise. Not to mention, Madigan has said he supports the bill.

Plus, a lot of those democratic co-sponsors to the resolution to slow down recreational marijuana legislation are wishy washy, and very likely political in nature. They want to be able to tell the senior citizens of their district who are up in arms about weed that they tried to slow it down but what're ya gonna do?

So you've got 20 or so democrats who got on there, including one (Carol Ammons) who has previously sponsored her own legalization bill. There's not a snowball's chance in hell she isn't going to vote yes. Not to mention there are a handful of likely republican supporters in the chamber. However, expungement is a big issue for the black caucus and republicans. But I think the fact that they negotiated down the expungement thing was specifically to get republicans to break ranks.

It's not a done deal. I'm kind of nervous because who knows what can happen in this wacky state? But we'll find out in a day or two.

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 30, 2019

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ugh, thanks for the clarification.

I can't stand Madigan but I'm rooting for his might right now.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

If not Madigan's Money, then JB's Money. Madigan came out in support of the fair tax and recreational marijuana way back in November, just after the election.

Right after JB donated $7 million dollars to his PAC. :ssh:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Listen if the billionaire wants to bribe some people to vote for a progressive income tax I'm fine with that

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

1000%

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey if this goes into effect and I can buy recreational weed in IL at the start of 2020, then I probably won't drive to Michigan in December of 2019 to pick up a bunch of their legal weed.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

Hey if this goes into effect and I can buy recreational weed in IL at the start of 2020, then I probably won't drive to Michigan in December of 2019 to pick up a bunch of their legal weed.

Allie toon of disgruntled Illinoisians abandoning the state for Michigan weed.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

With the Republican changes in the Senate bill I guess we'll see if Madigan will pull a MacAuliffe and sign pardons for every non-violent marijuana offender that would've qualified under the initial bill.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I don't know whether this is true or not but I've heard among the chatter that existing medical dispensaries have been assured of advanced licenses to provide recreational product as early as this summer sometime but do not quote me on that.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

NomChompsky posted:

I don't know whether this is true or not but I've heard among the chatter that existing medical dispensaries have been assured of advanced licenses to provide recreational product as early as this summer sometime but do not quote me on that.
Not going to get my hopes up but that would be cool. There’s one near my office.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jmetr22b/status/1134235150290706433

e: also Lightfoot says he should resign (I am surprised she hadn't said this already)

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

He should resign. He should also climb into the casing of a torpedo so we can launch him to the bottom of the lake.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

I'm still utterly flabbergasted that he was reelected by such a wide margin while under a federal probe. I can't decide if people genuinely didn't know or didn't care and I hate both answers.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Did his decades of corruption negatively impact his ward?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Big Black Dick posted:

I'm still utterly flabbergasted that he was reelected by such a wide margin while under a federal probe. I can't decide if people genuinely didn't know or didn't care and I hate both answers.

I'd lean don't care. There was less 29.4% turnout in that ward vs. 35.5% for the entire city, so below average. Burke is probably great at turning out his people, and when you only need to turn out a few thousand, it isn't that hard.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Cannabis legalization brought to the floor first thing this morning, Republicans asked for an hour caucus. So we'll know sometime this morning re legalization.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/WCIA3Mark/status/1134510373254639621

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm good analogy, eggs are far better cooked than in the shell.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That's actually Ronald Reagan's brain.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It passed , 3 Rs said yes, ten ish dems said no/present/no vote.

Special session for the weekend for capital bill (raising gas tax a lot) and budget, most likely

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sounds like sports betting might go through too????? If so, JB is good and cool and so is the state of Illinois now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1134505353557741569?s=20

:toot: :homebrew:

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
This session has been wild, it would be nice if it didn't all have to wait for the week that the session ends but getting good poo poo done is getting good poo poo done :shrug:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Daaaayum go Pritzker (how much are my insurance copays gonna go up)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So weird to have a government doing poo poo. Even if it's just because a billionaire governor is bribing politicians for votes.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Niwrad posted:

So weird to have a government doing poo poo. Even if it's just because a billionaire governor is bribing politicians for votes.

Right? At least he's using his ill-gotten gains for good instead of evil.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Niwrad posted:

And it's doubly weird that it's happening at the state level as well as cook county/chicago.

It's like I've woken up in some Bizarro Illinois in which good government isn't an anomaly.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Buckle up for a JB presidential run. I've been saying for the entire session if he manages to push through a bunch of progressive reforms in this term there is no fuckin' way we are not going to see him pop up in the next big election (not 2020 obviously) touting the "I'm the progressive billionaire" line.

Provided the Illinois Governor curse doesn't get him, in which case he will go to jail.

Also; all the other dem. reps who opposed it put up reasonably cautionary token resistance to cannabis, but Rep. DeLuca is a loving idiot. I feel so bad for whatever page had to take that pan and egg and carry it out of the chamber and around under the dome. The other staffers probably ran his rear end up a flag pole.

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 31, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

NomChompsky posted:

Buckle up for a JB presidential run. I've been saying for the entire session if he manages to push through a bunch of progressive reforms in this term there is no fuckin' way we are not going to see him pop up in the next big election touting the "I'm the progressive billionaire" line.

Provided the Illinois Governor curse doesn't get him, in which case he will go to jail.

Also; all the other dem. reps who opposed it put up reasonably cautionary token resistance to cannabis, but Rep. DeLuca is a loving idiot. I feel so bad for whatever page had to take that pan and egg and carry it out of the chamber and around under the dome. The other staffers probably ran his rear end up a flag pole.
Isn't moylan a Dem? He was an idiot

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Moylan is not well known for reading from prepared statements. But this is oddly one of the issues where he breaks with the party, otherwise he's a solid rubber stamp on abortion and guns and all that business.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

TMMadman posted:

got to shovel that money into the roaring money engine down in Springfield to make sure the public services don't collapse! :supaburn:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oracle posted:

With the Republican changes in the Senate bill I guess we'll see if Madigan will pull a MacAuliffe and sign pardons for every non-violent marijuana offender that would've qualified under the initial bill.

so is this kind of bureaucratic poo poo going to get in the way of expungement? I saw they are going to use some of the money from legalization to facilitate the process. . .

edit saw there might be 700,000+ people eligible

Squalid fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 1, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Squalid posted:

so is this kind of bureaucratic poo poo going to get in the way of expungement? I saw they are going to use some of the money from legalization to facilitate the process. . .

edit saw there might be 700,000+ people eligible

The whole point of the bureaucratic poo poo was to get in the way of expungement.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Isn't moylan a Dem? He was an idiot

Not as much of an idiot as DeLuca.

https://twitter.com/WCIA3Mark/status/1134510373254639621?s=19

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

"Even though the bill passed, my conscious is clear because I made a point while objecting it," DeLuca thought as he cracked open his 5th beer of the night. Then he wondered if he should have picked up more than a 12 pack because it was still early and he was mighty thirsty after telling his fellow representatives all about the evils of a dangerous drug.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

dominator posted:

This session has been wild, it would be nice if it didn't all have to wait for the week that the session ends but getting good poo poo done is getting good poo poo done :shrug:

It's like the trade deadline, gotta have high drama

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Republican solutions to the budget situation are....a bunch of tax cuts

https://twitter.com/AmandaVinicky/status/1134637470077898752

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Republican solutions to the budget situation are....a bunch of tax cuts

https://twitter.com/AmandaVinicky/status/1134637470077898752

The republican party of Illinois is without a doubt one of the most incompetent political organizations in the entire country and literally cruised to victory in 2014 on a national tide of idiot horseshit.

Almost none of the accomplishments they have gained since the 1990s have been uniquely theirs, and they are utterly at the mercy of their own incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also I tried to call my state rep and state senator to tell them to shift money in the capital bill from roads to public transit. I had to leave a message for my senator, but someone picked up in my rep's office. I told them my spiel and then asked if they needed my address or name or anything and they were like "nope thanks, bye!" Very weird.