Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Aye
Aye
Aye
Nay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Aye Nay Aye Nay

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Aye
Nay
Nay
Nay

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

sum posted:

Aye, Nay, Aye, Nay

e: I would like to point out that the No Ship Left Behind Act would make the construction of non-BC capital ships basically impossible for several years

feature not a bug.

battle cruisers get better engagement types and chances, and at 23 knots you can reclassify them as BBs a few years later when fire control advances.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aye, Nay for dirty metagaming, Aye, Nay

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Aye
Aye
Aye
Nay

Loving the thread :3:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Aye
Aye
Aye
Nay

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Vitse-Admiral Bacarrudsky. Commanding Officer, Herring Procurement.

Yea - Bigger ships are always better

Nay - 23 knots is stupidly fast for our current battleships. We'd be building tinderboxes!

Yea - More cruisers, fewer problems

Yea - Glory to the Tsar!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Aye - bigger is better
Aye - faster is better. They'll need to be bigger anyways.
Nay - we only have a surplus as is by keeping our fleet so small as to embolden the foreign savages! Without more funds I cannot support this.
Nay - how dare you imply that our great admiral isn't already doing this!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I seconded Base the Sun, shouldn't that be included as an option?

Aye
Aye
Aye
Aye

Ai yai yai!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Grey needs to give buord the updated tech levels. lol.

Also, the Blyat will make 23 knots. So we've already got one capital ship that meets the requirement of No Ship Left Behind.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 28, 2019

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Yea Nay Yea Nay

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Yea.
Nay.
Yay.
Nay.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Aye
Aye
Aye
Nay

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Grey needs to give buord the updated tech levels. lol.

Am I missing something?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Not really, just the latest advancement made in each category and tech level.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, the Blyat will make 23 knots. So we've already got one capital ship that meets the requirement of No Ship Left Behind.

Having all future capital ships able to operate in a squadron without sacrificing potential speed of any ship or having awkward station keeping is the primary goal of NSLB; and 23 knots is fast enough to remain viable far into the future without expensive and time consuming refits. Blyat is 23 knots, and any future capital vessel should be capable of operating in a squadron with her.

As far as Metagaming goes; It's not my fault the game dev's decided that 23 knots is a Battlecruiser for *Reasons* especially considering the 2nd/3rd generation of Dreadnoughts made 23 knots.

NSLB is obviously inspired by the American Standard Battleships but I feel 23 knots is more appropriate for both maximum impact in any conflict the near future, as it gives a significant tactical advantage in positioning and the ability to use secondary batteries to maximum effect; as well as the ability to disengage against sub 20 knot B and early BB adversaries while armor effectiveness is flattened (IE: the difference between 8" and 12" of armor at this point is negligible)

Later on when armor levels matter and gunnery is both more accurate and effective at penetrating armor; sticking to 23 knots means we will out armor and/or outgun any faster opponent, while still maintaining a reasonable level of speed, which largely negates their advantage in positioning (IE: Being able to keep the range open doesn't matter if your target is immune to your fire, or the fire you're taking is equal to or greater than the damage you're inflicting)

Large Machinery spaces are also a useful means of saving space for optional future refits; as engine technology quickly becomes more efficient, especially once oil firing is invented. and tonnage used for engine, can be repurposed for additional armor on turrets, deck armor or AA capability if we get a treaty and cannot build newer, larger ships.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 28, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Not really, just the latest advancement made in each category and tech level.

Oh that's my mistake, I forgot I had those in the chart lol.

updated:
pre:
Research Area				Last research		Priority	Levels
Machinery development			Basic			Medium		0
Armour development			Krupp armour		Low		1
Fire control				Basic			Low		0
Subdivision and damage control		Basic			Low		0
Turrets and gun mountings		Hydraulic recoil	Medium		1
Ship design				Basic			Medium		0
AP Projectiles				Basic			Low		0
Light forces and torpedo warfare	Basic			High		0
Torpedo technology			Imp. hydrostatic valve	High		1
Submarines				Basic			High		0
Explosive shells			Basic			Low		0
Naval guns				12 inch guns		Medium
These are the values he had from the beginning of the year, so they are possibly out of date, yeah.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 28, 2019

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Aye

Nay

Aye

Aye

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Aye
Aye
Nay
Nay

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Yea
Nay
Yea
Nay

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Aye
Aye
Aye
Aye

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aye
Nay
Nay
Aye

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Aye, Aye, Aye, Nay

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Bring Your Own Battleship - Passes!
No Ship Left Behind Passes by 1 vote!
Commerce Protection and Anti-Protection Measures Passes!
Give War Chance Fails!

I am now accepting designs for Light cruisers and corvettes. each shipwright can only submit one design.

Choose wisely.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 29, 2019

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Do we need a new save with the current tech levels?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
This links to part 2 when you haven't linked part 1 in here yet. :ssh:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who voted for the Leave No Ship Behind Act.

LOLZ Shipwrights submission for commerce raiding:

Aggressively Adequate.

Reliability.

Enough Range.

Enough Speed.

Enough Firepower to get the job done.

Stringent Weight saving measures.

Outfitted for Colonial Service for Peacetime Duties.

A vote for this design is a vote to maximize tonnage reliably sunk vs. rubles invested.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 29, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bremen posted:

Do we need a new save with the current tech levels?

yes, and I forgot that. I'll get it up tonight when I get home from work.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Failing to make a splash on their battleship submission, the Hedlunds decide to try a lower bar -- a corvette

Hedlund & Son is pleased to present the Björnfälla for the consideration of the Admiralty Board.

Following the lead of the Blyat, the Björnfälla is superbly armed, with a massive battery of guns that would shred any destroyer unlucky enough to be caught in her sights. Even raiding cruisers might find themselves outgunned by her, and with her ample all-round two inch belt she can survive extended engagements with lighter craft. While she might be slightly more expensive and time-consuming to build than other designs, she is simply the premier in convoy defense.

e: added profile view. Still the same design!

sum fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 30, 2019

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
But why do the secondaries have more armor than the main guns, or even the belt? Curious design quirk.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kmi0pa65zkcvgha/AAADcAoppsNhSI-9n4IUId6Ya?dl=0

Here is the updated turn file.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Lando131 posted:

But why do the secondaries have more armor than the main guns, or even the belt? Curious design quirk.

The belt's maxed at 2" or else it's not a corvette. I wanted her at 1500 tons to minimize the monthly cost, and I had about a hundred tons left at that displacement. I couldn't add guns (rate of fire would plummet), I couldn't add torpedoes (not legal) and I didn't want to add a half inch to the turrets (the ship would become considerably overweight) so I just dumped it all in the secondaries. In retrospect I should have probably just decreased the displacement to 1300 to bring down the build time, but I've already submitted it so eh

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, at a historical costume ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

From a transcript of a meeting between Prince Valeryan and the Admiralty, January 1901 posted:

I present to you, my friends, the Andreyevna, first of the Revizor class of Light Cruisers. With this long ranged and Leave No Ship Behind compliant masterwork, we will be the terrors of the far seas, and woe to any ship that falls in its gunsights. With a broadside of eight five-inch guns, it won't matter how quick the opposition as steel rain will still find them. Likewise, the additional dozen 3" guns will chew through entire fleets of merchant ships. Should we need to engage at close range, five torpedo tubes lurk beneath the waves to surprise our foes. And if we should meet another cruiser? The 7" turrets will blow through their armor. And don't be fooled by the rated 23 knots, as my engineers tell me that the dynamic color scheme is likely to result in higher than expected speed, as they say "красные идут быстрее."

As you can see, my salon has worked wonders within the confines of the Light Cruiser classification. It has a Gunscore of 128. It will drub any other light cruiser and virtually every armored cruiser currently afloat, giving us a ship that will allow us to influence the entire world without the expensive deployment of our new Blyat class battleships. And it looks glorious. My only regret is not being able to mount more 7" guns without your draftsmen rejecting it as an "armored" cruiser.

I shall await your acceptance of our design presently, my lords. If you have any questions, you may direct them to my associate, Mr. Nav4400.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 31, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’ll have to make a bote when I get home tonight, hope I don’t miss the window

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

habeasdorkus posted:

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, at a historical ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

This is utterly obscene, and I mean far moreso than the garish paint job

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I prefer to call it real good cosplay.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 30, 2019

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Proyekt 21202

Despite two inches of belt armor on a ship barely bigger than a destroyer, the 21202 makes 23 knots and carries 3 five inch guns - thanks to its layout, it will always be able to train two of its guns on the opponent, unless it's running away from them. It also carries a pair of lighter three inch guns on each side. Now sure, we had to cut a few corners to manage this, but I'm sure the benefits will outweigh the costs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A bit longer on submissions, as I'm off work with a stomach bug. (mostly cleared now, but i'm under 48 hrs quarantine by work rules.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm loving that one of the CL designs is literally outgunned by both of the KE designs submitted.

We need more designs, though! C'mon, fellow shipwrights! Show me what you got!