Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Speaking of Afghan Vets. I would LOVE for the creators of this show to team up and do a band of brothers/ the pacific style series about the Soviet Afghan War.

When you decorate the inside of your tank with Adidas sticker and Bruce Lee poster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aPM4XZUbO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

When you decorate the inside of your tank with Adidas sticker and Bruce Lee poster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aPM4XZUbO4

Gopnik pride

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

So now that we're almost done with the cleanup part and politics seems to be the main focus of the last episode, there's something I don't understand.

Is Legasov just frequently wrong? Every time he's talking about the damage done by Chernobyl it doesn't seem to coincide with what we know actually happened. He's giving that presentation to the Central Committee and he's talking about needing almost a million men to assist with the cleanup and that either thousands or tens of thousands will die. But that poo poo didn't happen right? I know the number isn't exactly clear, but it's generally accepted that less than 100 people died in the immediate aftermath, and while there were certainly hundreds more than died later or were severely hosed up, why is he talking about tens of thousands?

For as many people who were happy to tell me it's a drama and not a documentary, it's amazing no one had that reply to you over the past couple pages. Legasov's character is being used to explain the consequences and numbers that were either the most extreme possibilities or a rough number of what they'd be once it all shook out. The fear of the radiation getting into the ground water was pretty accurate at the time, but the steam explosion and potential secondary explosion fears were overplayed in the show, while the numbers of workers was something that grew over time from a couple hundred thousands in the first year to the eventual 600,000+ number and deaths are the estimates from long after the fact.

nessin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 30, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nessin posted:

For as many people who were happy to tell me it's a drama and not a documentary, it's amazing no one had that reply to you over the past couple pages. Legasov's character is being used to explain the consequences and numbers that were either the most extreme possibilities or a rough number of what they'd be once it all shook out. The fear of the radiation getting into the ground water was pretty well known at the time, but the steam explosion and potential secondary explosion fears were overplayed in the show, while the numbers of workers was something that grew over time from a couple hundred thousands in the first year to the eventual 600,000+ number and deaths are the estimates from long after the fact.

The liquidator effort for the area around Chernobyl was also on a massive scale in terms of the sheer manpower involved.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
one thing I find particularly interesting is how much the accounts of Dyatalov differ. sometimes he's a military man and stickler for safety after his son died, sometimes he's a cowboy angling for promotion, sometimes he's a dull plodder unthinkingly following orders. in the end it doesn't seem to matter because the chain of events leading to the meltdown is so complex that swapping out one engineer for another is meaningless, but it's still interesting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's funny - this show's so damned well done in every way that it's making me angry at how mediocre and inaccurate The Hot Zone is on National Geographic in comparison.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SeXReX posted:

Buddy let me tell you about bananas

Y'all are gonna be terrified when you check the toilets... :tinfoil:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

thatbastardken posted:

one thing I find particularly interesting is how much the accounts of Dyatalov differ. sometimes he's a military man and stickler for safety after his son died, sometimes he's a cowboy angling for promotion, sometimes he's a dull plodder unthinkingly following orders. in the end it doesn't seem to matter because the chain of events leading to the meltdown is so complex that swapping out one engineer for another is meaningless, but it's still interesting.

I'd say it's exactly what this series establishes so well with the opening speech: Everyone loves a villian in a story, to pin the blame on and put their minds at ease with that simplification, and the most obvious figure for that is Dyatlov so of course people feel the need to argue about him and push their own stories and narratives about him the most. When the truth of it is that Dyatlov's errors are just one small piece in the large catastrophic puzzle that led to all this. Reality is always far more complex than any story can represent and the show immediately won me over by opening up with that admission of fact.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The very rare literary conflict: society vs itself

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's funny - this show's so damned well done in every way that it's making me angry at how mediocre and inaccurate The Hot Zone is on National Geographic in comparison.

The Taco Bell they put on the crazy ebola monkey building gave me food poisoning once. Thats my hot zone story

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

incoherent posted:

I highly recommend listening to his series with headphones. I've been watching on an xbox through the controller and the soundtrack provides a new layer of surreal uneasiness to the slow prodding cinematography that you don't get through the speakers or even 5.1.

Also I want to believe the intro of the guys walking through the field and locating highly radiated things with the leather bound booklet was a stalker reference. (Yes, I know those were standard issue booklets but I can dream)

Well, that was actually a true thing. Medvedev even mentions that he argued with the commander out there because people only had the most basic of protection and they were handling fragments like they were hunting Easter eggs

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kraftwerk posted:

Not sure this is the right thread for this but:

How do you get a nuclear reactor started?
What I mean is, where do you get the neutrons to trigger a chain reaction between the fuel rods?
Is there some particle accelerator that serves as a "Starter motor" for a nuclear reactor?
Or do the fuel rods passively shed neutron radiation into other fuel rods to trigger the reaction?
How do you know when a fuel rod is "spent"?

Lastly when you have a fuel rod sitting on its own with the uranium pellets inside, what stops it from going critical? Is it the lack of moderator?

From what I gather, once you get a new fuel rod going it never really stops. The control rods just absorb what the fuel rods pump out while coolant is always circulating through the core. Even when the reactor is "shut down" the coolant pumps are still running.
That's why when fuel rods lose their usefulness they're sent to a spent fuel pool for a few years to cool down enough to put in containment

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Haha, Russia is so sensitive. Please respect our culture of lies and cover-ups a bloo bloo bloooo.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Y'all are gonna be terrified when you check the toilets... :tinfoil:

Live in a brick building near a coal plant? Whelp, yer hosed

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

gotta love how it's Russia that needs to set the record straight, not Ukraine, you know, the country where the event actually took place.

loving Russia, the bear just won't get its fat rear end off of that country

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SocketWrench posted:

I mean...hosed? One year :airquote: next to :airquote: a coal plant is still, like, 1/16th of your average, daily background dose...

that chart is still scary af tho

Aces High posted:

gotta love how it's Russia that needs to set the record straight, not Ukraine, you know, the country where the event actually took place.

Right? But, when the record is that the Russian government is the one that screwed the pooch in the Ukraine, it's not surprising who is generating ~alternative facts~. :crossarms:

But seriously though, the Ukrainians hate them so much and Chernobyl probably isn't even in the top ten list of reasons...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

I'm missing the spicy rock on this chart.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

spankmeister posted:

I'm missing the spicy rock on this chart.

That's because if the spicy rock was giving out 12,000 Roentgen they'd need a whole other box for it, as 12k = ~112 Sv.

Also, this is way more popular than you'd think - as I was walking into a theater to watch "Rocketman" last night, two guys were randomly talking about the naked miner scene.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 30, 2019

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Got to watch out for those naked miners.

Hm. Works better when spoken...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's because if the spicy rock was giving out 12,000 Roentgen they'd need a whole other box for it, as 12k = ~112 Sv.

Also, this is way more popular than you'd think - as I was walking into a theater to watch "Rocketman" last night, two guys were randomly talking about the naked miner scene.

This show really has uhhh blown up if you know what I mean.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Let us both hope to god they were talking about the Chernobyl naked miners and not some other naked miners.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aces High posted:

Chernobyl was really effective at jumpstarting the Ukrainian nationalist movement especially after it became obvious all the blunders made and even before Chernobyl russians tended to smug colonial attitudes towards Ukrainians.

When the reactor had the problem one of the reactions was maybe one of those dumb Ukrainians broke it?

I'd argue that this show is one of the more accurate depictions for how Soviet bureaucracy worked.

etalian fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 30, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
McKay: By my calculation we have been exposed to 327 millisieverts since the sun came up. May not sound like much to you, but I've been keeping a running tally of my lifetime exposure to radiation. X-rays, cellphones, plane rides, the whole unfortunate Genii nuclear reactor thing. My God, last week we flew dangerously close to the corona of a sun. As it is I may have to forgo reproducing.

Lorne: Yeah, it's funny. I was just thinking that might be wise

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

You say this like every time there's a major oil spill, they don't just go out and throw paper towels around on the ground, rope off the area, and not tell anyone about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ugrkBFLkjM

I think the showrunner's point is that the US system relies not only on government action, but on self-interested businesses to also agree, which can often mean we delay or do nothing. In the Soviet system, a government appointee comes along with the power to take over the situation. In the US, that government official would still be arguing with Fomin et al for access rights. It's worth discussing.

:shrug:

How would you fix the show?

I feel the same as the other guy, but about the soldiers. I want a meaningful backstory for all 750 000 of them :colbert:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A neat fanmade trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RW9NTBmb4U

It is a bit more mainstream but still pretty good.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CainFortea posted:

There are basically 3 types of nuclear radiation, Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. They have different properties and different threats to biological life. For example, Alpha radiation is high energy, but has a large mass so is stopped by a few inches of air. Or even the dead skin cells on your body. They pose very little danger to a human being as long as you don't ingest or inhale it.

Gamma rays are basically just X-Rays so they will penetrate you and damage you.

The people you are asking about were in a contaminated environment, however they were protected from a lot of the radiation by being in full body suits. So the contaminated water that was carrying those particles didn't get a chance to get inside them and cause really bad damage. They weren't being affected by the Alpha or Beta emitters. Only the Gamma.

Plutonium-239 is an alpha emitter. And if you laminated it in something to ensure no particles came off of it, you could hold it in your hand and be very safe. But if even the tiniest flake came off that block of plutonium and you inhaled it, your cancer will get cancer.

I heard that with a sufficient dose of gamma radiation some people can turn green and very angry. C/D?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

precision posted:

As others have said, modern day Russia is not the most trustworthy source and them being alive is super sketchy

There is absolutely no point in lying about that fact considering it's well known that a bunch of people died already. What would be the point of pretending these 3 didn't when 30 others did?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Watched the episode last night and then listened to the podcast. I kinda got upset that they had to depict the lights actually turned back on with a hand powered crank even though that didn’t happen. The show is taking so many liberties with what actually happening and making stuff up along the way just so they can film cool scenes. Anyway I still wish they showed having more scientists.

Yeah I was particulary displeased with a speck of dust which was out of place. Totally ruined my immersion. Made the whole show trash if you ask me. If they can't get those very important details right, why do we bother watching, amirite?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Why are you conjuring up posts from 8-9 days ago to make low-effort sarcastic responses that others already have done, albeit not unfunny?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Why are you conjuring up posts from 8-9 days ago to make low-effort sarcastic responses that others already have done, albeit not unfunny?

Because I started this show yesterday and am just now going through the thread. Why do you care?

*edit: I have a better question. Why do you come in a thread which you haven't posted in before, only to make an unfunny post complaining about someone else' posting.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 30, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I mean...hosed? One year :airquote: next to :airquote: a coal plant is still, like, 1/16th of your average, daily background dose...

that chart is still scary af tho

I wasn't being serious. Though it's still pretty impressive how much those two compare living next to a nuke plant

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

So is there nowhere to just buy access to this series? This is the only HBO series I want access to.

If you end up signing up for a month, I highly recommend Band of Brothers and Rome. Definitely worth the watch if you haven't seen them and it will allow you to get more out of your sub than just 1 show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

I wasn't being serious. Though it's still pretty impressive how much those two compare living next to a nuke plant

I'm pretty sure that measurement is just from inside the building. That isn't considering things like "going outside and breathing the air".

And that's all on top of the regular background radiation.

hosed is probably some hyperbole. But i'd say "you're hosed" is a safe assessment.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Because that's his schtick, low effort sarcasm. :D

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

CainFortea posted:

I'm pretty sure that measurement is just from inside the building. That isn't considering things like "going outside and breathing the air".

And that's all on top of the regular background radiation.

hosed is probably some hyperbole. But i'd say "you're hosed" is a safe assessment.

Also I'm not really a funny guy as evidenced by all my posts so I don't see why he'd be expecting anything different after all those years. :shrug:

As for you, I read this whole thread and found your posts to be pretty cool and informative so thank you.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Dalael posted:

If you end up signing up for a month, I highly recommend Band of Brothers and Rome. Definitely worth the watch if you haven't seen them and it will allow you to get more out of your sub than just 1 show.

Then, since Rome did not last long enough, subscribe to a month of Starz and check out all of the Sparatacus seasons.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Well, yea but wouldn’t those records then get released?

I’m kind of surprised there isn’t some kind of Chernobyl Survivors Organization.

The Soviet Union didn't really give a poo poo about stuff like that. Industrial and nuclear accidents were very frequent and most of them were covered up. You often only learned that you were exposed to dangerous materials after connected friends told you or you suspected after seeing that certain people started taking sudden vacations with their kids far away from the town. People drinking phenol contaminated tap water or get exposed to radiation after a release of nuclear material from the NPP is just how poo poo worked. Nobody cared.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

bobfather posted:

Then, since Rome did not last long enough, subscribe to a month of Starz and check out all of the Sparatacus seasons.

Netflix has all the Spartacus seasons

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dalael posted:

Because I started this show yesterday and am just now going through the thread. Why do you care?

*edit: I have a better question. Why do you come in a thread which you haven't posted in before, only to make an unfunny post complaining about someone else' posting.

Oh, I get it, you're just dense :lol:

CainFortea posted:

Eh, checks out, I guess.

In any case, I'll second that the last episode was crushing as hell with the animal control bits. Well-done, but still, it somehow conjured up a more visceral/emotional response than all the equally-well-done gruesome bits we had experienced in the previous episodes.
And as much as I loved the bits with the liquidators on the roofs, I'm a bit bummed the extent we saw is all we got, considering it was a really long effort, and I think there was more potential to give us some more gut-wrenching scenes in there regarding those liquidators that showed immediate reactions to exposure.

But still, the guy stumbling around on the roof as the geiger counter ticking constantly keeps ebbing and flowing was done absolutely brilliantly. I physically tensed when two of them hurled a piece of graphite over the railing and both pretty much dared a look over.

/ninjaedit: I was floored by the preview for Monday's episode, because I somehow thought this miniseries would have 8 episodes :(

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So it seems to me that pregnant women are optimal for nuclear disaster cleanup due to the radiation absorbing effects of babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So it seems to me that pregnant women are optimal for nuclear disaster cleanup due to the radiation absorbing effects of babies.

Ablative Fetal Radiation Armor.