Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Asimov posted:

Ah I think I've found your problem.

Wrong type of RAM

That's the Xbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

My computer is a PS4

Owned

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Also why are health/stamina bars so ugly? I liked the borders in DS2 but they are just plain rectangles in this one. What a weird step backward.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The mods that add better buff icons and health/fp/stamina bars are basically mandatory for me

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dantheman650 posted:

What a weird step backward.

you figured out the main theme of DS3 pretty quick

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Trying to farm Vertebra Shackles and Proofs of a Concord Kept is absolute hell.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Frionnel posted:

When I invade, I always make blues my top priority just to make absolutely sure I deny them a proof. :getin:

I have a humongous collection of forked tongues...

...! fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 28, 2019

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Got to the first main area and the camera motion seems a little more stable. Found my first “there’s a dragon here so don’t go any father” place. So far it totally looks and feels like Bloodborne in almost every way.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

On a 14/40 Sharp build, is it worth giving up the 14 AR difference of the Longsword for the Barbed Straight Sword and its bleeding capability? Surely putting Rouge on it will make it extremely effective, and even then it's a fast enough weapon to build up the bleed stacks, right? That being said, I never see anyone using the BSS despite, on paper, it being an amazing weapon...

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 28, 2019

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

...! posted:

When I invade, I always make blues my top priority just to make absolutely sure I deny them a proof. :getin:

I have a humongous collection of forked tongues...

At least that's a fun fight. But the game loves sending me to servers just after the invader dies so i get denied my proof AND waste my time. And the drop rate from the silver knights is abysmal.

After i finish this though i'll be permanently equipping Way of the White to help some folks farm theirs :frogbon:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 28, 2019

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Frionnel posted:

My Vertebra Shackle farming was done in Irithyll in the area after beating the Pontiff.

The trick was to invade there. You inevitably end up in a massive three or four way fight with hosts, phantoms, Aldritch faithful and red invaders.

I'm crap at PvP but with that many potential murder targets you'll get some shackles that way just from opportunistic assassination by hanging back and finishing off whoever is on the losing side. Also plenty of times the host falls off a cliff or something and you get a shackle that way too.

Proofs of a Concord Kept are painful though, I basically just made sure I was ready to be summoned at any time throughout the game and I eventually go them all.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 28, 2019

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

It's a shame the best buff in the game is locked behind a terrible grind.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Are you guys trying to farm them at the wrong level or something? I never found it a problem, but I also hardly ever play single player. Just get used to "always be invading" and it should be cake.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Are you guys trying to farm them at the wrong level or something? I never found it a problem, but I also hardly ever play single player. Just get used to "always be invading" and it should be cake.

purple mound should be doable at any level, although you'll get more hits the closer you get to the meta level range

swamp wolves almost require you to park your character at like level 30 and not progress at all until you have enough grass blades. you can definitely out level this covenant, and even though you can technically loop back around to people on NG+, my guess is far fewer people are even doing NG+ now, let alone spending significant time in the swamp. basically you stop your character here or punt on completing this one

ears are a goddamn gently caress and it's amazing they've never changed how this covenant works. you either join the blue knights in lothric high wall and never take it off, or you farm the anor londo knights until your eyes bleed

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Agree totally. Ears are a little bit better as a blade. You get double for killing aldrich's faithful, usually in anor londo. The wolves thing is right on. You either get it at 30-40 or loop back and get it in NG+. I don't think I even did purple. I'm pretty sure I got enough from killing them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Moxie posted:

It's a shame the best buff in the game is locked behind a terrible grind.
tears of denial isn't grindy to get :confused:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I farmed Wolf's Blood Swordgrass at the three Ghrus just past the Keep Ruins bonfire. Takes about 20 seconds per run, the enemies are harmless at my level (110) and the drop rate isn't the worst ever. I put on some music and finished it in an hour.

For Proof of a Concord Kept, the Silver Knights will absolutely destroy you if you're not paying a little bit of attention and the run takes so long because you have to go up the stairs and back every time. I'm pretty close, though, 27 already, all from PVP save three.

Vertebra Shackles, on the other hand... I have 3. :negative:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 29, 2019

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dantheman650 posted:

Got to the first main area and the camera motion seems a little more stable. Found my first “there’s a dragon here so don’t go any father” place. So far it totally looks and feels like Bloodborne in almost every way.

You actually need to go farther, just run under the dragon after he roasts all the skeleton friends. NBD

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

On a 14/40 Sharp build, is it worth giving up the 14 AR difference of the Longsword for the Barbed Straight Sword and its bleeding capability? Surely putting Rouge on it will make it extremely effective, and even then it's a fast enough weapon to build up the bleed stacks, right? That being said, I never see anyone using the BSS despite, on paper, it being an amazing weapon...

BSS is a bit on the short side and it's not all that fast iirc. Twin Blades actually allow you to combo really fast and thus proc the bleed much more reliable.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Goodness, this opening area is so much more difficult and unforgiving than either DS1 or 2. Everything is so fast and aggressive and hits so hard. Got my first elevator and found a lady who gave me a banner and a thief in a jail cell. It’s slow slow going. Those tentacle monsters are seriously no joke - it’s nearly impossible for me to tell what part of them is attacking and get out of the way.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Don't try to learn how to dodge their attacks, they're just shittily designed and with awful hitboxes imo. Your best bet is to throw firebombs at them or try and kill the specific hollow before it transforms

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yeah, that Pus of Man on the roof at High Lothric Wall murdered me a whole bunch of times until I realized I could just dash past it.

Firebombs or a fire infused weapon is the way to go if you want to take it out for the reward.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dantheman650 posted:

Goodness, this opening area is so much more difficult and unforgiving than either DS1 or 2. Everything is so fast and aggressive and hits so hard. Got my first elevator and found a lady who gave me a banner and a thief in a jail cell. It’s slow slow going. Those tentacle monsters are seriously no joke - it’s nearly impossible for me to tell what part of them is attacking and get out of the way.

You're almost done with High Wall. Next area is kind of a change of pace imo. Really fun stuff.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dantheman650 posted:

especially if you just came from DS2, the speed of the game for DS3 is like hyper mode. treat DS3 more like BB and it'll click faster i think

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

heard u like girls posted:

You're almost done with High Wall. Next area is kind of a change of pace imo. Really fun stuff.

That's true, the difficulty eases for just a bit in the next few areas. I still died but the high wall is a weird early spike in difficulty

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Don’t worry. I’ll power through. I started as the class with lesser heal and I’m regretting it. I did sword+board for DS1 and 2 and I thought I’d try something different but the heal miracle is almost useless. Just means I need a few more levels until I can use any of the cool weapons I’m finding. Not sure if I want to go dex or strength - I have a halberd and uchigatana waiting for a few more points each.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dantheman650 posted:

Don’t worry. I’ll power through. I started as the class with lesser heal and I’m regretting it. I did sword+board for DS1 and 2 and I thought I’d try something different but the heal miracle is almost useless. Just means I need a few more levels until I can use any of the cool weapons I’m finding. Not sure if I want to go dex or strength - I have a halberd and uchigatana waiting for a few more points each.

Get yourself an axe, my good goon.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There is a very good axe on a mimic at the High wall :black101:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The pus of man enemies are interesting in the sense that you basically can't fight them in melee while they are transformed unless you have a fire weapon. They give you early titanite shards so if you get yourself some fire bombs they can lead to an early damage increase. I'm 99% sure they are the reason why you can pick a fire gem as a burial gift.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I usually don't square off with the lothric knights on the first run through. That made it much easier to get to Vordt, the cold dog.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Lothric Knights are there to force players to learn the combat art mechanic. Stance wrecks them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
well, certain stances.

with other weapons you wanna 2H to guardbreak them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Moxie posted:

Lothric Knights are there to force players to learn the combat art mechanic. Stance wrecks them.

So does holding up a shield and slowly rotating into their sword side for a backstab after they've started their swing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Super easy to parry too. They aren't hard nessisarily, but with the gear you start with and no stats, they are a huge jump in difficulty over the hollows. You also only need to side step one of them on the way to vordt.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if something in souls is hard to learn, it is hard. That's the main form of difficulty in these games. Once you finally know what you're doing the actual execution is usually easy by comparison (which is one of the reasons I like these games so much)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Beat the big ice dog and am making my way through the next area. Holy moly this place is spooky. I gotta give credit to the sound design - the rusty hinges on the swinging bodies and the enemies growls are great mood-setting. From would really knock it out of the park if they made a dedicated horror game.

I feel like I must need to go back to the High Wall later - there’s still a locked door and a does not open from this side door.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Get the purple summon covenant before you kill the womping willow. If you don't, It's actually difficult to get later.

One of the locked doors in high wall is related to invasions.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

Beat the big ice dog and am making my way through the next area. Holy moly this place is spooky. I gotta give credit to the sound design - the rusty hinges on the swinging bodies and the enemies growls are great mood-setting. From would really knock it out of the park if they made a dedicated horror game.

I feel like I must need to go back to the High Wall later - there’s still a locked door and a does not open from this side door.

The only door of the second variety I can think of, is if you hang a right from the initial bonfire to what's otherwise a quick dead-end. That one's a shortcut, you can approach it from the other side by taking a side path after the big dude stomping around the fire and before the giant set of stairs with the knights.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dantheman650 posted:

there should be 2 locked doors.

one contains a friendly merchant NPC that you probably want to unlock before you finish the undead village, because his personal quest needs you to do something there.

the other one (eventually) contains an infinite use red-eye orb. that's also part of an NPC's personal quest, and you'll know you've started it when a mysterious person shows up at firelink and gives you 5x cracked red eye orbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

there should be 2 locked doors.

one contains a friendly merchant NPC that you probably want to unlock before you finish the undead village, because his personal quest needs you to do something there.

the other one (eventually) contains an infinite use red-eye orb. that's also part of an NPC's personal quest, and you'll know you've started it when a mysterious person shows up at firelink and gives you 5x cracked red eye orbs

Yep, I freed the friendly merchant and got the cracked red eye orbs. I don’t have PS+ though so if it involves online play I’ll miss out on whatever it is.

I also found the loopback to the elevator but I could swear I remember another door I couldn’t open from this side. Oh well, I’ll go exploring again - I never got past the dragon on the left side so I have a good reason to come back someday.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 31, 2019