Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

White-Crowned Sparrow.

Lots of great stuff on this page! I like this one a lot.

I took a trip to a riparian preserve near Phoenix last weekend, and saw a Great Egret for the first time!

However, I noticed something in its tail, which hung down into the water as it walked around to hunt. See the photo below. At first I thought it was long tail feathers, but I don't see any feathers like this when I look at other Great Egret photos online, so now I'm wondering if it was a reed or something. Do Great Egrets stick things into their tails? Is this normal, or unusual? Any insights?

Also, while I watched, the egret walked over to the shore and snatched a dragonfly off a reed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It's a part of the breeding plumage.

Great series of shots!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Not a huge bird person but was playing around with a new macro/portrait lens and turns out it pairs well with a tripod and wireless remote if your subjects cooperate.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
^^^ These are fantastic! Just have to add my PSA to be very careful when working around bird nests, and I'd say don't even attempt this for something not in a nest box. Even if the parents don't seem to care, predators can be more likely to attack nests that humans have visited. But bluebirds are probably OK for a quick photo like that.

DorianGravy posted:

Also, while I watched, the egret walked over to the shore and snatched a dragonfly off a reed:

I didn't notice this the first time I looked through. Wow, that's amazing for both you and the egret!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Not a huge bird person but was playing around with a new macro/portrait lens and turns out it pairs well with a tripod and wireless remote if your subjects cooperate.

Going to set something like this up for my bird bath.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Fantastic color!

jarlywarly posted:

It's a part of the breeding plumage.

Great series of shots!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I didn't notice this the first time I looked through. Wow, that's amazing for both you and the egret!

Thanks! I'd never seen a Great Egret before, so it was definitely a treat. Here's a couple more from the same location:

A Gila Woodpecker.

Lookin' like a convict.

Better watch out for thorns.

Gotta keep those wings dry.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 25, 2019

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

upgraded from cell phone to crappy dslr and 40 year old 500mm mirror lens recently

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I mean seems to be working out great so gently caress it. What lens is it and where did you get it?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Oh, that mirror lens bokeh!

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Atlatl posted:

I mean seems to be working out great so gently caress it. What lens is it and where did you get it?
The lens is a MTO-500 that I picked up on ebay for $150. There's a few listed for less but a lot of those look kind of rough and/or are missing their case and parts. It's a little tricky to get the focus right because my dslr doesn't have the split circle in its focusing screen like my old film slr had, and the lens seems to send the focus indicator light in the viewfinder haywire.

Also as you can see there are a few pieces of dust or something on one of the mirrors. I'm currently too scared I'll make it worse to try and get it off.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Good poo poo, especially for 150 bucks.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
On Thursday my wife and I had what we think is a once-in-a-lifetime encounter. I hope you don't mind that I'm going to drop a bunch of photos of what amounts to a chicken with major delusions of grandeur, that caused the two of us to spend the time since saying things like "That was amazing!" at random.

Superb Lyrebird

Our first inkling - coming around a bend in the path and I spot the unmistakeable tail, wobbling through the underbrush
SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 1 01 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 1 03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

He wandered across the path while my camera was digesting a bit of video I'd just shot, so I missed him, but he came back across a minute later.
SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 1 05 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

He really didn't seem to care that we were there.

Two minutes later, after enjoying the spectacular view from Lookout Point (well named), we encountered male #2. He cared even less that we were there, and after a bit of housekeeping on his mound, he launched into a full display.
SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 2 05 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 2 08 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 2 09 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 2 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 2 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 2 18 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I also shot some video, mostly on my phone because my K-5 decided battery power was OK for stills but not for video. This is mostly about the audio, anyways, because I didn't have a tripod with me and my hands shake when I'm not thrilled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGUbEqnO5Q

This is the species made famous by that clip from the BBC where David Attenborough sits near one and talks about the bird's ability mimic things like chainsaws and film cameras. We had this second guy to ourselves for about 10 minutes, and when another couple came along the path they told us "They can imitate chainsaws! And crying babies!", factoids that any Australian seems immediately willing to share with foreigners such as us. The second bird imitated at least half a dozen species of birds we have seen in the area - Pied Currowongs, Red-tailed Black Cockatoos, Noisy Friarbirds, Eastern Whipbird (named for its call, you'll recognize it in the video even if you've never heard one before) - as well as some non-vocal sounds that he vocalized, such as the wing-beat sounds of doves (complete with characteristic whistling of air through those flight feathers, from his mouth) and the wing-beats of the various tiny birds in the area that I haven't quite nailed down IDs on - probably including Eastern Spinebills and a few others. I didn't get all of those sounds in the video, he just kept showing off the whole time we were there.

I think it's important to note that at no point did this guy imitate anything human-made. This is a national park in an area with little human habitation and surrounded by lots of other protected areas of various levels. We were at one of the most popular spots in New England National Park, Lookout Point, which probably sees more human visitors on any given day than most other parts of most of the parks in this area. NSW Parks does maintenance in the area, including cutting trees that fall onto or near (or are at risk of falling on) pathways, carparks, and various other facilities, so it's entirely possible these birds have heard chainsaws and mobile phones and idling engines but they didn't feel like shouting Husqvarna or Holden sounds at us, at least. I prefer that, personally - this was an encounter with wild animals in their native habitat, and it was mind-blowing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's really incredible! Thank you so much for sharing!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

...I'm going to drop a bunch of photos of what amounts to a chicken with major delusions of grandeur...

You have my attention good sir. Go on...

quote:

awesome poo poo

That sounds amazing!

For what it's worth I think I remember hearing that the famous Attenborough lyrebird was in a city park which was why there were so many human noises in the repertoire.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\ Thank you, both of you! And that's interesting about the BBC bird being rather more urban.

Another I forgot to upload before:
SD 201 Superb Lyrebird 21 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

And some other birds from that trip. The previous afternoon, when we arrived in the park, Lookout Point was shrouded in thick fog, so the lookout was more "look into the grey void" but there were some little birds around. I haven't been able to ID these guys:
SD 201 Fog at Lookout Point 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 201 Fog at Lookout Point 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Noisy Friarbirds
SD 201 Fog at Lookout Point 16 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The next day it was clear, and besides the Lyrebird we saw a few more feathery things, like this Yellow-faced Honeyeater.
SD 201 Hanging above the drop 03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

They were zipping around, in and out of the upper branches of trees, at the near-vertical drop at the first lookout platform.
SD 201 Lookout Platform 1 05 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

EDIT
One more, from the second lookout platform. Red Wattlebird
SD 201 Lookout Platform 2 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 4, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Actual sunlight on a subject!

Ruff by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
assorted birbs from Hokuto and Kamikochi

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Robins hatchlings finally showed up! Thankful for my long lens. They're not far off the ground at all, so we try and keep some distance to avoid distressing the parents too much. They seem pretty okay with us at this point though. They are only a few feet from the house...

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Most angry bird

Red wing blackbird by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Those blackbirds are hyper aggressive assholes that will attack anything that gets near their nests and their little talons hurt.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Our hummingbirds are starting to come back. Got one or two a few days ago, then another two plus days of snow. Think the whole group will be back and active soon.

Hummingbird2 2019 by B. B., on Flickr

Hummingbird 2019 by B. B., on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

These are wonderful! Still, I'd love to see a couple in color, to see those striking red epaulets.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

These are wonderful! Still, I'd love to see a couple in color, to see those striking red epaulets.

I posted one the last page back - not as good as these ones though.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

torgeaux posted:

Our hummingbirds are starting to come back.

Nice! I set up a hummingbird feeder for this year after I saw some trying to eat out of a hanging planter.

Hummingbird 3 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Hummingbird 1 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

-CHA posted:

Nice! I set up a hummingbird feeder for this year after I saw some trying to eat out of a hanging planter.

Hummingbird 3 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Hummingbird 1 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Spend time near the feeder even when not shooting. They get used to people really fast.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Sparrow

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Couple eagle shots hot off the press.

Oh, and a shot of my friend Sheryl walking on the beach

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 28, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man that one of the... raven? harassing the eagle is a great find

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

DJExile posted:

Oh man that one of the... raven? harassing the eagle is a great find

Thanks man! Yeah, that was quite a scene. That poor eagle got harassed every single time I saw it flying by. Didn't seem to give much of a drat though, and definitely didn't keep it away from the area.

Got one more right before it went over the tree I was near.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Some I took recently at the lake and pond next to our place. The peregrine was there as a show and tell for migratory bird day and was tame enough that kids could touch it, but still nice to see fairly close up even if it wasn't wild

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Saw a Black Headed Heron flying towards where my colleagues and I were on a coffee break.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Flycatcher of some kind? In Utah, just outside Needles Park.

Unidentified Bird by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Flycatcher of some kind? In Utah, just outside Needles Park.

Unidentified Bird by B. B., on Flickr

Looks like Ash-throated Flycatcher, definitely some kind of Myarchus.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Little killer by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Swallow

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The gently caress you looking at mate?

Rat with wings

jarlywarly