Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The piranha plant spawn timing was definitely an issue. I swear it took longer than a typical down cycle for them to appear for the first time. I think if you were speed running you actually could avoid them entirely, but if you were moving at a casual pace they’d appear just when you had assumed it was safe. As a creator I thought it was a pain to work around in order to make the obstacle not feel cheap. I’d try to slow the player down so they’d have the pipe in view long enough such as by having a question block with a mushroom they would hit just as the pipe came into view which would distract them long enough for the plant to appear. Didn’t help for subsequent pipes off screen but at least the danger would have been communicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The SMB sky theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rir3_ZPpOM&t=491s

Is a callback to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u589pvON9nE&t=49s

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm 6 levels into the expert 100 Mario challenge and only down 24 lives. I saved and quit because I got 8 instant death levels in a row.

Level 9 and 45 lives left. I hate this.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 30, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is apparently still some hidden stuff and Nintendo has not revealed everything.

At the very least, that's probably the second extra game style (I'm betting on SMB2).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NM

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 30, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is apparently still some hidden stuff and Nintendo has not revealed everything.

We know that at least one (two?) of the things they're holding back for the June 8th event are the still unrevealed night themes, airship and castle.

I suspect they're holding back an instance of a weird combination like the flying shoe clown car level as well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I hope there's something we don't find out until the Invitational, finding out about the clown car from watching people compete in a Nintendo stage while onstage was hype as poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I imagine there's a lot of weird interactions with many of the pieces we don't know about.

What I'm wondering is how much of the post-launch support will be porting 3D world assets to the other styles and vice versa. There are some things in 3D world that obviously won't work in the others, but at also some features that really don't have a reason to be 3D exclusive other than a lack of dev time. Post launch support for this game is gonna be pretty important, but given how well Mario Maker 1 was supported I'm not really worried about that.

gently caress, Mario Maker 1 didn't even launch with a repository for easily sharing levels :regd09:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Internet Kraken posted:

I imagine there's a lot of weird interactions with many of the pieces we don't know about.

What I'm wondering is how much of the post-launch support will be porting 3D world assets to the other styles and vice versa. There are some things in 3D world that obviously won't work in the others, but at also some features that really don't have a reason to be 3D exclusive other than a lack of dev time. Post launch support for this game is gonna be pretty important, but given how well Mario Maker 1 was supported I'm not really worried about that.

gently caress, Mario Maker 1 didn't even launch with a repository for easily sharing levels :regd09:

More like it will be new extra game styles in the vein of 3D world. I'm kinda hoping we get Mario Bros 2 US as a style.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm pretty confident one of the additional game styles is going to be a reveal at the invitational, it seems like too good a chance to build hype to pass up.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of, this isn't launching with it's own bookmark website is it? Without that it seems like we're going backwards. The bookmark site was nice because you could access it right from the Wii U browser while playing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oxyclean posted:

At loving least splatoon lets you join the same drat lobby. It's far more reasonable to not allow for team stacking because it'd make the game worse for almost everyone else.

This has never been a problem in other team based multiplayer games. They take measures to prevent this sort of thing. Like making stacks only fight other stacks, or making players opt in to being able to play against stacks.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I know it'll never happen, but I wish we'd get the All-Stars versions of Mario 1 and 3 graphics. The NES can suck it, SMAS is the version I grew up with.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Trasson posted:

I know it'll never happen, but I wish we'd get the All-Stars versions of Mario 1 and 3 graphics. The NES can suck it, SMAS is the version I grew up with.

Yeah, :same:. I watched a gameplay video of all-stars for fun the other day, and was surprised at how hard the nostalgia hit me.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Don't the SMAS version play a little differently, though? I thought I remembered hearing that once.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

zfleeman posted:

Don't the SMAS version play a little differently, though? I thought I remembered hearing that once.

I think there are some slight physics differences, yeah. Not as many as the differences from the originals to Mario Maker, though.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
It's worth noting that in SMM1, all the game themes used the same physics engine based on New Super Mario Bros U. Changing the theme only changed some abilities Mario has (carrying items, throwing items up, spin jumping, air twirling) and some of the enemies behaviors (Yoshi/Kuribo's shoe, Raccoon tail/Cape/Propeller hat).

I assume, based on the different way 3D World levels are handled from the other levels, that the previous themes will be based on the same game engine.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Trasson posted:

It's not the one I grew up with, but I still prefer the SNES graphics anyway.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Something I've only seen mentioned in passing that I feel will really add to levels is the ability to stop the camera from scrolling past certain areas until Mario breaks through the wall, so you can have separate rooms that don't get spoiled beforehand. I love that and can think of a million places I needed it in SMM1. It looks like you'll have the ability to have items simply respawn without needing a pipe, too. That'll be handy.

With how good Mario Maker is for streaming, I hope Nintendo thought to have the option to have level codes, creator names, etc. displayed on the level itself. I guess that's why the lack of online with friends makes so little sense. Mario Maker is all about sharing and community building and everything should be done to facilitate that.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 30, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I'm so used to true SMB1 physics that it's going to be weird to be able to actually get some air after jumping on an enemy; that poo poo didn't show up until Mario 3 (unless Lost Levels/the real SMB2 had it?)

Also, I can't tell if I like or dislike the fact that there's a shadow from every single sprite in at least in SMB1 and SMB3 themes. Part of me kind of likes the weird depth it gives, the other part of me wishes I could make my levels look exactly like they'd come out of the original games.

Whatever, I'm sure I'll get used to it (never played SMM1).

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

creationist believer posted:

It's worth noting that in SMM1, all the game themes used the same physics engine based on New Super Mario Bros U. Changing the theme only changed some abilities Mario has (carrying items, throwing items up, spin jumping, air twirling) and some of the enemies behaviors (Yoshi/Kuribo's shoe, Raccoon tail/Cape/Propeller hat).

I assume, based on the different way 3D World levels are handled from the other levels, that the previous themes will be based on the same game engine.

I've been watching A LOT of Mario maker speed runs and they sometimes talk about the physics differences between MM1 and NSMBU.

Here's a video with some. One of the Games Done Quick videos was taking about bombs, but this video doesn't show any of that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

F. Lobot posted:

Speaking of, this isn't launching with it's own bookmark website is it? Without that it seems like we're going backwards. The bookmark site was nice because you could access it right from the Wii U browser while playing.

The bookmark tab was missing from the UI in the direct so unless they latch it in for launch that does look to be the case. If so, that really sucks as we’ll be back to punching in codes every time. I want to be able to easily queue up goon levels while I’m at work and have them waiting to play when I get home.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

The bookmark tab was missing from the UI in the direct so unless they latch it in for launch that does look to be the case. If so, that really sucks as we’ll be back to punching in codes every time. I want to be able to easily queue up goon levels while I’m at work and have them waiting to play when I get home.

Oh man, this would be awesome. And this was a feature in SMM1?

Also, I was watching the NintendoLife video, it was like 4 or so minutes long, but man... I didn't enjoy playing Sunshine, but I did love the music, and having those tracks in there is wonderful.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, this would be awesome. And this was a feature in SMM1?

Yeah, although it was added four or five months after launch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Yeah, although it was added four or five months after launch.

Hopefully they're just not showing that off right now since the public servers aren't live yet.

Hopefully :ohdear:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Suspicious Cook posted:

It looks like you'll have the ability to have items simply respawn without needing a pipe, too.

What's that now?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's a star tab in the course world that looks like it could be used for bookmarks. The first game used stars to denote you upvoting a level but SMM2 seems to have replaced that with Hearts so the stars are now an unknown. I don't think that just because they haven't elaborated on a bookmark site that it doesn't exist, and it's not like a site would be active before the game is out.

Like yeah the site didn't appear for the first game until after the fact, but the first game also didn't have level descriptors when you uploaded them at launch either (something they spent time in a direct showing) which is something the bookmark site used readily.

Unless there's some footage that contradicts this, I've only looked at the directs.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Polygon, eat your heart out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yzl5dd4Yxc

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Argue posted:

What's that now?

A few pieces of footage have shown little sparks where items just reappear. No one's really talked about it, though, so I can't say for sure.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Suspicious Cook posted:

A few pieces of footage have shown little sparks where items just reappear. No one's really talked about it, though, so I can't say for sure.

I think that’s all been multiplayer footage which makes sense to allow multiple players to get needed items when only one was added to the level. I doubt things will reappear in single player.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Do we know anything about the mariomaker invitational? I know it's just a dumb marketing gimmick, but like have any streamers said they're participating?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really hope it's just youtubers who don't even play mario games bumbling through levels and they don't even make it to the part that Nintendo was planning to use to show off new features.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the world demands the return of john numbers

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm checking out some more footage, and I'm seeing, more than a few times, of people putting down ground tiles without any sort of gimmick, and they're all 1 block tall.

Does anyone else find this incredibly ugly? Unless your gameplay requires it, I'd recommend putting something in the background underneath it to give your platform some implied stability.

Having your terrain look like it's just floating in the air looks pretty bad (again, assuming that it's plain, and there are no gimmicks to it).

EDIT: I might be mistaken, and maybe the platforms automatically have ground put underneath them, in the background. If so, that's cool.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 30, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

the world demands the return of john numbers

He’ll totally be there. He was just at some Smash items on tournament that Nintendo did.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm checking out some more footage, and I'm seeing, more than a few times, of people putting down ground tiles without any sort of gimmick, and they're all 1 block tall.

Does anyone else find this incredibly ugly? Unless your gameplay requires it, I'd recommend putting something in the background underneath it to give your platform some implied stability.

Are you talking about the floor of the level just being a floating strip of ground? That is pretty ugly and usually an early warning sign of a bad level. You can paint ground tiles to fill in that gap and make things look nicer. I imagine the folks at the preview event just didn’t bother since they only had like 15 minutes to play around in the editor.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Making your level look nice is all part of even creating one. I had a penchant for putting giant Chain Chomps and Dry Bones in "cages" in all my castle levels. Makes it seem like Bowser is this awful, tyrannical ruler but we all know he's just a dad doing his best.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about; if the designer can't be bothered to make the level LOOK nice, how much thought did they likely put into the challenges of it all?

I feel like, for the most part, someone who really cares about making a good level will go all-out, and make it good in every aspect even if some aspects don't affect gameplay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Suspicious Cook posted:

Making your level look nice is all part of even creating one. I had a penchant for putting giant Chain Chomps and Dry Bones in "cages" in all my castle levels. Makes it seem like Bowser is this awful, tyrannical ruler but we all know he's just a dad doing his best.

They are in those cages for their own protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about; if the designer can't be bothered to make the level LOOK nice, how much thought did they likely put into the challenges of it all?

I feel like, for the most part, someone who really cares about making a good level will go all-out, and make it good in every aspect even if some aspects don't affect gameplay.

In the sequences where they made their own levels they were only given ten minutes with the editor.