Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I literally can't read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
The only thing left to do is land a fat presence of the master so no one can rest in peace you.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lol thinking about it even more you can use the grove/pfire combo to pay for solitary confinement every turn

skyblazer you're a genius

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Yeah I bought a jp confinement the minute I saw the post.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any Maverick players in this thread? I'm toying around with some ideas for Maverick-lite in Modern now that we have Giver of Runes and Eladamri's Call as stand-ins for Mom and GSZ. No Stoneforge is a huge bummer, so one idea I've had is to run some Vials and then splash blue for fun Vial targets like Spell Queller and Reflector Mage (and baby Teferi for extra fun). Could be talked into sticking with the black splash but I can't think of as many good Vial targets in those colors, although obviously the sideboard options in black are good. If there's any good primers out there for the deck, I'd love to read them and get a better understanding of what makes it tick.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

So I'm pretty excited for Modern Horizon's but they unveiled a 1 mana 1/1 flying Faerie with ETB: Scry 2. I was *just* rebuilding faeries as well. :getin:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I randomly stumbled across this list and I want to share it with y'all because hoo boy it has some cards

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21988&d=348376&f=LE

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Deckit posted:

So I'm pretty excited for Modern Horizon's but they unveiled a 1 mana 1/1 flying Faerie with ETB: Scry 2. I was *just* rebuilding faeries as well. :getin:

edric commander is finally unbeatable

e: i'm the single callous dismissal and 59 maindeck cards in the list above, tag urselves

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

I randomly stumbled across this list and I want to share it with y'all because hoo boy it has some cards

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21988&d=348376&f=LE

This person is cheating or too lucky to be alive

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm the Sylvan library that reveals 2 forked bolts and a pteramander.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm the sideboard tin-street hooligans because I haven't seen any artifact destruction cards printed since 2007

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Good news suicidesteve rug delver is playable again!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Lowkey Faeries is a good deck in Legacy and nobody can convince me otherwise

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

lol thinking about it even more you can use the grove/pfire combo to pay for solitary confinement every turn

skyblazer you're a genius

I can't take sole credit for this one but yeah there's so many dumb rear end synergies just by the fact that the card exists. I've been wanting one for years but figured they'd never print it.

Loam + Cycle Land, Wrenn and Six, and Punishing Fire + Grove all keep Solitary Confinement up forever.

e; This is what I'm looking to start testing

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1959033#paper

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 30, 2019

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
If you're already going Naya colors for Lands, it's worth finding room for a Horizon canopy. I will help you test this, I've been on RUG lands (for EE+Academy Ruins), but this seems like a next natural step.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

If you're already going Naya colors for Lands, it's worth finding room for a Horizon canopy. I will help you test this, I've been on RUG lands (for EE+Academy Ruins), but this seems like a next natural step.

Canopy is still poop vs cycler lands. I'd play the GW cycler before I played canopy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

I can't take sole credit for this one but yeah there's so many dumb rear end synergies just by the fact that the card exists. I've been wanting one for years but figured they'd never print it.

Loam + Cycle Land, Wrenn and Six, and Punishing Fire + Grove all keep Solitary Confinement up forever.

e; This is what I'm looking to start testing

Lmao what pricing are you using to get $1500 Savannahs and $220 Wastelands?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

C-Euro posted:

Lmao what pricing are you using to get $1500 Savannahs and $220 Wastelands?

They're set to show betas in the previews.

Also updated the image I was missing the most important sideboard card

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

They're set to show betas in the previews.

Also updated the image I was missing the most important sideboard card

:discourse:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, what are the chances U/W control in Modern shifts to a heavier U build which leans on Archmage's Charm and (to a slightly lesser extent) Cryptic Command?

UUU is hefty, but having the flexibility of instant speed Divination or Cancel (or stealing a giant Champion of the Parish, I guess?) in one card seems really nice.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
The trend in every format is that UW is the superfriends color pair now.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

narset :h: teferi friends 5eva

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

So, what are the chances U/W control in Modern shifts to a heavier U build which leans on Archmage's Charm and (to a slightly lesser extent) Cryptic Command?

UUU is hefty, but having the flexibility of instant speed Divination or Cancel (or stealing a giant Champion of the Parish, I guess?) in one card seems really nice.

there's a mono-blue control deck that's been showing up online, that's a starting place if you want to find a place for archmage's charm

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

so there is that suspend 4 card that makes two 4/4s. I am one hundred percent sleeving up 4x Bloodbraids, 4x Shardless Agents, a pile of tarmogoyfs and ancestrals and punching people straight in the face

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

so there is that suspend 4 card that makes two 4/4s. I am one hundred percent sleeving up 4x Bloodbraids, 4x Shardless Agents, a pile of tarmogoyfs and ancestrals and punching people straight in the face

4 Ancestral
4 Footfall
4 Bolt
4 Serum?
4 Goyf
4 Shardless
4 Bloodbraid
9 ????????

23 Land

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Deckit posted:

It'll definitely make Mistbind and Spellstutter stronger, and since it's a faerie wizard as well, it might make Wizard's Retort playable, too. I'm starting by basically dropping Serum Visions/Opt for it. Archmage's Charm is interesting to lower the deck's curve, too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

4 Ancestral
4 Footfall
4 Bolt
4 Serum?
4 Goyf
4 Shardless
4 Bloodbraid
9 ????????

23 Land

4 Dreadhorde Arcanist?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

4 Dreadhorde Arcanist?

Oooh. That's spicy. I was thinking 4 Noble Hierarch and more removal since it just wants to get poo poo out of the way. Vapor Snag?

If we want more red than just Bolt + Broodbraid, I could see Goblin Guide and Arcanist. If not, Hierarch and Scooze.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Talkin legacy my dude. Get those serum visions outta there

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Talkin legacy my dude. Get those serum visions outta there

Get those lovely Goyfs out too

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've been toying around with a Bolas's Citadel Storm deck this evening.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1982916

Basic idea is get a Citadel down, hope you don't get stuck on a land until you can get off a Mana Severance (or Personal Tutor for a Mana Severance), gain life with Weather the Storm or Tendrils to keep casting stuff with Citadel, then win with a Tendrils.

I played in the early 90s, then picked the game up against late last year. So I barely have a clue when it comes to deck building. I started from a previous Citadel Storm list that played Lim-Dul's Vault that I ended up bricking with a few times. I tweaked it to use Weather the Storm, Personal Tutor, and Mana Severance to attempt to avoid bricking. I have no idea if it is improved, or even viable, but I've had fun with it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So infect looks bananas when modern horizons comes out right?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't see why, the only new things it gets are Flusterstorm and the UG land. Both are good, but not game changers, especially when the opponent also gets Flusterstorm and the new Force. There will be a lot of judge calls, as this is the first instance I can think of in Modern where a player retaining priority is relevant.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Konstantin posted:

I don't see why, the only new things it gets are Flusterstorm and the UG land. Both are good, but not game changers, especially when the opponent also gets Flusterstorm and the new Force. There will be a lot of judge calls, as this is the first instance I can think of in Modern where a player retaining priority is relevant.

They get a +5 damage 1-mana pump spell.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Konstantin posted:

You’re missing become wurm and baby teferi being stock in the lists now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mezzanon posted:

You’re missing become wurm and baby teferi being stock in the lists now.

Adding Teferi (and thus a third color), super slows the deck down, though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

Adding Teferi (and thus a third color), super slows the deck down, though.

Infect decks are more about inevitability than the T2 win now. Most local high level infect players are also on a playset of oath of nissa in the main and 4 spell pierce in the 75.

Landing a 3 mana teferi with an inkmoth out almost locks in a win.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 7, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They’re definitely in better shape but they also have very little means to protect Teferi. They need to be able to throw Hierarch in front of him or rush him out turn 2 (very possible with Hierarch and if an Inkmoth is out does seem to result in an inevitable win next turn).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Infect decks are more about inevitability than the T2 win now. Most local high level infect players are also on a playset of path of nissa in the main and 4 spell pierce in the 75.

Landing a 3 mana teferi with an inkmoth out almost locks in a win.

Oath of Nissa seems like freaking madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

Oath of Nissa seems like freaking madness.

That’s what I said but the local high level players are claiming it as the truth.