Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Tylana posted:

Yes. Influences and Ingredients used as Trappings are consumed. Which can be a handy trick.

Once repaired the Moonstone becomes a Tool (knife symbol) and thus is not.

Mind. Blown. I had no idea I could use Dread here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Its helpful to keep a few uninitiated hangers-on around so you can use their initiation to burn bad moods in an emergency. At least once you're past the point of needing all the recruits you can get anyway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dr_Gee posted:

Mind. Blown. I had no idea I could use Dread here.

A major key to understanding this game is look past the face of the cards and look their aspects, because those are what qualify them to do things. The Trappings slot accepts Ingredients (always consumed), Tools, and Influences. Restlessness, for example, is an Influence with FIVE different lore 2 aspects, so it could be used there.

Sometimes this will mislead you though. Exploring by default accepts Secret Histories aspects because that's how you find expeditions, but putting in a Fleeting Remembrance won't do anything even though it's a SH Influence, probably because it lacks the Lore aspect.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

oscarthewilde posted:

Hang on, you can use tools without consuming it? God drat, that would've been nice to know before I started this run...

The slot explains itself if you click.

Warning : Any slot with a candle under it will consume whatever is in there. Trappings is one of the very few slots that burns some things and not others.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

SettingSun posted:

A major key to understanding this game is look past the face of the cards and look their aspects, because those are what qualify them to do things. The Trappings slot accepts Ingredients (always consumed), Tools, and Influences. Restlessness, for example, is an Influence with FIVE different lore 2 aspects, so it could be used there.

Sometimes this will mislead you though. Exploring by default accepts Secret Histories aspects because that's how you find expeditions, but putting in a Fleeting Remembrance won't do anything even though it's a SH Influence, probably because it lacks the Lore aspect.

Fleeting Reminiscence are currently explore-able on the Beta Branch at least. I'm not sure if its been introduced into the main game. Draws from a deck that contains 2 contentment, 2 dread, 2 fascination.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zengetsu posted:

Fleeting Reminiscence are currently explore-able on the Beta Branch at least. I'm not sure if its been introduced into the main game. Draws from a deck that contains 2 contentment, 2 dread, 2 fascination.

Well gently caress me, that's awesome. It was always a weird outlier to me.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Another handy trick is although Reason, Passion, and Health are 'materials', they aren't consumed if they're used as Trappings- and you can induct somebody into the Mirror of Glory using nothing but Reason.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So we can become the Edgelord of an Edgecult?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The Edge cult is the Church of the Bright Edge, so as the cult's edgelord you can also boast on the internet about how bright you are.

Part 2 of this double whammy update, including mechanics, tomorrow.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Powered by existential fear.

No cult member is over 20.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Ya, I knew that about looking at the aspects of cards. I just didn't realize I could use something that didn't have Lantern aspect for ceremonies.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The final DLC just launched, with two new legacies (the Priest and the Ghoul) and four new ascensions!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Page 59

My work on the painting has begun. I will draw deeply on the knowledge I have learned, and pour it into this project. It will not be quick, but it will be Glorious

In the meantime, I am expanding my library. I have collected two further works from the treasure trove that is Ms. Morland's shop.

Apollo and Marsyas was a work that caught my eye as particularly interesting, as I remember the different versions of the story from my school lessons. My sister, who loved music, felt that Marsyas was cheated of his victory.

I also took the time to pick up the first volume of Travelling at Night. I feel I know the Well and Temple now, but the Wood itself may yet hold further secrets.

I've set about its study, and will reflect upon it in dreams.

Page 59+i

I slept with the book in hand, and as I expected it has entered with me. Illopoly describes secrets written in tree-bark, much the same as the one I found scrawled between the lines of Cicero's On the Ends of Good and Evil. Handily, a fold out page in the work, apparently visible only in the Mansus contains within it directions to one such tree. I have located it, and its secrets are mine.

Page 60

I awoke with the knowledge of the Wood, and a fuller understanding of Illopoly's work. Cross-referencing the first and second volumes, I understand now:

""
With a deeper understanding of Winter (or possibly some other secrets) I might find the White Door and penetrate the Mansus deeper. Fascinating. I've also learned there is a third volume for me to read, but Ms Morland did comment that she hadn't seen a copy in some years. Perhaps this secret history I found in the Mansus will lead me to that elusive third part.

I had two tasks today, recruitment and exploration, and while I paint I have set Auclair to recruitment, Valciane to look into the clues from my dream.

Valciane should return tomorrow, but Auclair returned this evening with a "suitable" candidate. I took a moment aside with her to ask why she considered...this...a good one to add. I chided myself, silently, for not sending someone a bit more...personable to recruit instead.

However, Auclair smiled the thinnest smile I have ever seen and leaned in closer. "Useful," She intoned, in her Laconic manner, leaving the second word unsaid. I understood her meaning.

After all, when the endgame begins, victory often goes to the one with the strongest pawns.

Page 61

The Art progresses. I have completed the base coats, the rough outlines. The time is coming to finally apply the scavenged Refulgin. I must remember to ask Valciane to assist with a mask or dark glasses--the light is too captivating to let me focus on the task otherwise.

I've also made a start on Apollo and Marsyas, now that my reading on Illopoly is complete. Perhaps I'll be able to tell my sister how the story really ended.

Valciane reported back that the clues led her to the elegant townhouse of a Lord Strathcoyne. Apparently he has a considerable library of forbidden lore. A well-guarded library of forbidden lore.

Once again, I find myself with two leads, but where in the case of the Mithraeum there was a clear low-risk choice, this time it's clear I must consider...other methods.

I spoke with Victor about the matter. I explained that we would need a team to tackle the dangers. He still has his contacts in the lower rungs of society. He will find us someone suitable.

Page 62

A pawn is a useful thing to have, but I am keen to have a more useful addition to our membership, so I've decided not to delegate recruitment, for now. Today, I followed a lead I had heard from my own social circle. A friend of a friend of a freing has been having distubing dreams, affecting her sleep. I offered my professional expertise, confidentially of course, and met her today in some quiet tea rooms.

Over some scones and a few cups of Russian Caravan, she shared her troubles.

Enid was relieved, of course, to hear my assurances that she was not mad. However, I think deep down she was hoping I'd tell her that such dreams have no meaning.

On the contrary, in that mundane life she led, the dreams were the only things with meaning.

"But not to worry," I said, "Together, we'll change that."

Page 63

Victor reported back today, he'd found someone suitable for the work we needed to do.

I handed over the funds, and this fellow was mine for a few nights.

No time like the present, I thought, and so I laid out the job. Lord Strathcoyne has books. I want those books. Lord Strathcoyne has guards. Don't get caught killing them.

I think our little hireling was taken aback to hear it put like that. Perhaps he expected a jilted housewife, merely wanting a little petty revenge against some mistress of her husband; a punch, a threat, nothing more. Or perhaps he expected a doctor to be more conflicted, more reluctant to accept violence. Maybe I should be surprised at myself, but I am Long past dead oaths to dead greeks.

Regardless, I set him to his task tonight.

Page 64

Well. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I expressed this to Victor, who mumbled an apology and begged forgiveness. I need Victor, of course, so I gave it freely. However, I spared no compassion for our "professional" colleague, who this morning seemed very much the amateur, bleeding on a sheet in my lounge.

My baser urge was to turn him out. He was nothing to me before, and now he is a failure. He had received his pay, and could use it for medicine if he truly thought his life had value, somehow.

However. However. I steadied myself and reasoned through things. It might be hard to find another capable of what needs to be done, even if this man's capability was now very much in question.

Funds I could spend on his recovery would only need to be spent on hiring someone new. So in the end, medicine and a little applied seamstressing was the rational choice.

I made clear that I considered him in my debt for this. And I would not make the mistake of trusting him to a task alone again. Next time, I would join him on the expedition.

Early morning surgery complete, I spent my afternoon on literary pursuits. The painting is nearing completion, but the time is not yet right. Soon.

I also heard from Neville today. He has been keeping an eye on the detective these recent days to ensure he does not get too close to the truth. He reports back that my hunter has been assigned to other tasks by his masters. I can only hope his failure reflects badly enough upon him to effect his firing, but I doubt I should be so lucky.

Page 65

I decided after the debacle at the Strathcoyne Residence to try the Church tonight instead. Security could be elevated at the Manor given what just happened, so for now we moved on. This time, I decided to accompany our hireling. A greater risk to me, surely, but I would not see our mission fail twice. I have transcribed my notes from the journey below:

So, success, then. Though there may be unavoidable clues, I do not believe any witnesses were left.

Our haul was significant, comprising four tomes of knowledge, two of which are in ancient greek. I also snagged a book on the language I spied on a shelf as we were leaving. No sense buying what I can get for free.

As we made our return journey, I got a little heady from the danger, and started enthusing passionately about the secrets the books might contain. Careless, since I don't know who was listening. I'm not sure my accomplice was paying much attention. The job complete, I discharged the hired help from service for now, as I would have no immediate need of him. Was that disappointment I saw on his face?

The rush of battle was exhilirating. My passions were well and truly fired by the experience, and so in a haze of adrenalin I made my way back to my makeshift studio in the spare room and knew what the final finishing touches should be.

Page 66

My man from before came back. At least, I think it was the same man, certainly the same demeanor.

Elridge, he introduced himself as. Was Elridge his name before? I don't know if I ever cared to ask the name of the man we hired.

Well, whether the same man or different, he wishes to serve a similar purpose, and I do not intend to refuse him. He and victor will make a good team.

I confess, I am a little distracted by other matters today.

It is done. It is beautiful, and horrible. Foul, and Glorious. And just what the doctor ordered.

None but the faithful can ever lay eyes on this work, but those who do shall open their eyes to deeper mysteries. I believe a mass ritual is in the offing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Mechanics Update 6

*deep breath*

Wow, that was a lot of pictures. A lot happened in this two-parter update, let's talk about what was going on.

An investigation began in the Season of Suspicion. Here's a recap, from Mechanics Update 3:

quote:

When the Season of Suspicion comes around and you have a hunter, they begin investigating, and draw a random reputation card from the Tableau. If they drew a Mystique, the timer runs down and they draw again. It can only end when either there are no cards left to draw, or the hunter drew Notoriety. Assuming a standard detective, what happens then is that if the Hunter ended on nothing, they stop investigating, and if they ended on notoriety, they transform that into evidence. If they already have evidence and they go to generate another, it's prison for you or one of your lackeys, if you don't know the right people.

This posed a bit of a challenge around timings for the events in this chapter. We are trying to level up my painting skill, which generates mystique that will prolong the investigation. But out end goal is to complete a vault and a masterpiece, both of which will generate notoriety, and we super do not want the investigator pulling notoriety into his slot and generating evidence.

Broadly speaking, there are three main ways to handle this. We can hide our notoriety inside the painting action, as mentioned in Mechanics Update 4, but this is risky as if we mess up and don't keep a careful eye on the timers we might miss a tick and see the notoriety sucked up. We can also take the needle in a haystack approach; since painting gives us mystique, we can generate huge amounts of mystique by just painting over and over again--If we have 30 mystique and 1 notoriety, there's a very low chance of the notoriety being pulled. But both of these methods have the problem that they drag the investigation out for ages, and the hunter is completely invulnerable and potentially dangerous as long as an investigation proceeds. So the third option is patience. Take your time, let the hunter run out of cards to look at, then do the stuff that generates notoriety.

That's what I went with here, timing both the completion of the painting and the run on the vault to complete shortly after I ran out of mystique cards, and therefore maximise decay time for my notoriety before the next investigation. If I'm lucky, they'll burn up before the next investigation, if not, getting all my notoriety all at once is better than always having one or two, due to the way the hunter needs to succeed at multiple investigations to build up enough evidence.

We had one notoriety gained from completion of the Mithraeum vault, which was swallowed up when we moved locations.

Our HQ can be explored further for influences, and may be useful in upgrading lores. More on that when I get to do it, since the upgrade system is new relative to the last time I played.

Previously our cracked noonstone was an ingredient, usually consumed when used in a ritual. We can repair it to be a more permanent object, a tool.

With our fixed noonstone, we now have enough lantern aspect to level up followers to the disciple level. Unfortunately only Cat is eligible, as our second-magnitude lore and tool are not enough on their own to do this, so we need the extra boost from Cat's innate lore. That won't be a problem, eventually.

Cat's aspect is boosted, and she gets some new text. Two disciples of the same aspect make vaults much more of a sure thing (since at 5 each they add up to 10 combined), which is why we push recruitment so hard in this update.

The collection of poetry found in Morland's shop can be used to generate a lesson learnt, making it easier to gather sufficient lessons to level up. There's an equivalent for Reason, which are collections of essays. This levelling up process required lots of painting, study of passion, and reading of poetry to try to get as much glimmering as we could. It was arduous, but worth it, as we need to reach a higher painting skill to paint a masterpiece.

We picked up some dread from restlessness permitted to decay, and as mentioned previously too much dread can lose you the game. Because Dread is an influence, one way to dispose of it is to use it in a ritual that destroys influences. One such ritual is the initiation ritual itself, so it can sometimes be productive to leave a few people uninitiated to have an easy dread sink. Here, we recruited Auclair, a winter follower.

OK, lets talk about Masterpieces. A masterpiece is a special painting of one of the Hours of the Mansus, the god-like beings that inhabit it. They are eighth-level tools, so with an appropriate masterpiece you can easily promote your entire cult to become disciples, which is a bit of a no brainer given the benefits to your vault hunting.

To start with, we need to paint with four passion, you can theoretically do it with less if you're lucky, but there's no good reason to take that very small chance. We need to top out the quality meter, and this is how we do it.

Next, a lore of the appropriate aspect. I've heard you can also use an appropriately aspected cultist, though I've never tried that myself. As mentioned before, using lore in a painting is a guaranteed notoriety.

Then, the paint. The paint is of course consumed, but this is its intended purpose, so no harm done there.

And for our trouble, the masterpiece arrives. We get a second notoriety for painting a masterpiece.

Here, looking at its eighth level lantern aspect, you can see this is significantly stronger than our noonstone.

We also bought loads of books this time around. Mechancially these are mostly just lores in gift-wrapping so I won't dwell too much on these, but I do want to highlight Travelling at Night, which has a bit more of a gameplay significance:

The first volume of Travelling at Night gives you a lore required to find the Wood, and the completion text which tells you how to use it is as close as Cultist Simulator ever gets to explicitly telling you something outside of square brackets.

Similarly, the second volume details how to pass the White door--the author has a little knowledge of winter, but not enough, so we need a stronger winter lore to reach it. Of course, being a door, we can also reach it with stronger lantern (doors) or knock (locks) lore.

We haven't seen it yet, but we can infer from this that the third volume will lead us past the door after that.

We did a lot of recruitment this time around, as previously mentioned. We doubled up on knock and edge followers, which will be useful for future vaults. We also picked up a pawn, a nameless also-ran. Pawns are trash-tier edge followers who can be upgraded to slightly less trash-tier followers of other aspects. As long as you don't let your named followers die, their main usage is exactly what you'd expect from a pawn: being sacrificed. Some events might consume a follower, others might require a prisoner or a corpse. Pawns are potential sources.

In addition to regular followers, we got ourselves a hireling. This hireling was Edge 5, exactly what we want for assaulting the two vaults we have access to. Hirelings last 2 minutes when not in active use, and can be renewed with funds. Plus they're disposable so it doesn't matter if they die. Recruiting hirelings is an exercise in pain, since it is random which one you get offered, and most of the time you really want a specific one. I was lucky to get this guy on my first time round.

So, we send him off on an expedition...

...and he gets loving dunked. Not too much of a surprise, there's always a failure risk, especially at edge 5 alone, but he picks up a wound for his troubles.

The wound makes this guy useless. We could let him decay and hire a new guy, but it's no cheaper to do that, and healing him is quicker, so we do that.

One thing to note, though, is that a wounded creature who heals gets a scar, and those scars themselves add aspects to the character. That might be useful at some point.

Healed up, we try again.

Success! We got a bunch of books for defeating the vault. Some of them are in Greek and will need translation, luckily this vault also provides the Greek book, so that will be quick enough. As a little side note, the colour of books usually indicates the type of lore. Not always, I think there are a few edge cases and some books give two lores, but in this case we can guess that we have Lantern, Grail, Winter and Edge lores in these books waiting to get out. Given that Chione was the goddess of snow, perhaps we'll get something useful from this.

Next time: Speech cannot pass the White Door, but an LP can.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm the leathery remnant

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Oh yes, a follower with both edge and knock aspects can be very, very useful indeed. That one might be worth retaining for a bit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Reveilled posted:

Next, a lore of the appropriate aspect. I've heard you can also use an appropriately aspected cultist, though I've never tried that myself. As mentioned before, using lore in a painting is a guaranteed notoriety.

I have never used anything other than a cultist. I think that when used for this purpose they also give the final painting two notoriety, so it's not really a way around that?

(In fact I kind of thought you were going to use Cat Caro for that and I wanted to see what scene you had in mind.)

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks to this LP, I was inspired to try this game again. And I did much better, again thanks to this LP.

How do you feel about sharing failures? Would that be okay?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Glazius posted:

I have never used anything other than a cultist. I think that when used for this purpose they also give the final painting two notoriety, so it's not really a way around that?

(In fact I kind of thought you were going to use Cat Caro for that and I wanted to see what scene you had in mind.)

Aw, sorry! I do wish I’d thought of it at the time when playing.

Kacie posted:

Thanks to this LP, I was inspired to try this game again. And I did much better, again thanks to this LP.

How do you feel about sharing failures? Would that be okay?

I think now we’ve covered pretty much all the ways you can die, so I’m totally fine with it! One exception, Poppy and the season of rags, since we haven’t seen her yet.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
There are at least two more ways to deal with notoriety, but both of them require significantly more progress than you currently have, and aren't terribly reliable. We'll get there when you get there, I suppose - although one of them almost certainly isn't going to come up on this run.

Of course, none of the methods are completely reliable, but I've generally found that "Drown them in bullshit" (AKA, generate tons of mystique so the notoriety expires before he gets a chance to grab it) tends to be the most effective one.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

kaosdrachen posted:

Of course, none of the methods are completely reliable, but I've generally found that "Drown them in bullshit" (AKA, generate tons of mystique so the notoriety expires before he gets a chance to grab it) tends to be the most effective one.

Alternatively, just let them collect tentative evidence, then deal with that before they have a chance to collate it into the real deal . Winter folks (and, um, "folks") seem to be pretty good at it.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks to the LP, I managed to get going with a dilettante, who learned the virtues of hard unskilled labor, and thus built up Health. Then Corwin was inspired to paint for a living, where he churned out a mix of exceptional pieces and pieces that brought in money. His passion was astounding.

Then in my attempt to see if one could make money off of Reason, he started working at Glover & Glover. I'd gotten far enough along that I had a hireling who offered to take care of a nuisance at work, and wouldn't you know, that went swimmingly.

They wanted diligence, and he gave it. Then they wanted even longer hours, and I gave them that by feeding a Passion.

I realized right away that was a bad cognitive dissonance - what master painter and budding cult leader gives passion to a clerical job?

I fought off some other fires and was fearing some other choices (involving notoriety) would mean prison and then everything stopped, and the Work tile cracked with light seeping through...

Corwin had given it all up, you see, for the safe, stable income and mildly prestigious position.

I was too amused and laughing to feel mad at losing.

Never, ever, give any business firm any of your passion.

Good life lesson, really.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Capitalism is the true eldritch horror.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Alternatively, just let them collect tentative evidence, then deal with that before they have a chance to collate it into the real deal . Winter folks (and, um, "folks") seem to be pretty good at it.

I thought Moth folks (and 'folks' ) were best for making evidence disappear.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

kaosdrachen posted:

I thought Moth folks (and 'folks' ) were best for making evidence disappear.

Ah, that's possible - turns out the Winter... person (?) I'm used to using for the purpose has both.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what the devil are you doing dealing with those

give the right gifts to your knockers and you can get hold of much more useful followers without even using influences; just lore.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
More evidence that I need to be heading to bed, it took me several full seconds to realize you weren't talking about the usual type of 'knockers' :downs:

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Ah, that's possible - turns out the Winter... person (?) I'm used to using for the purpose has both.

I know who you mean, and let's stop this convo before we venture further into spoiler territory.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what the devil are you doing dealing with those

give the right gifts to your knockers and you can get hold of much more useful followers without even using influences; just lore.

I avoid the wiki like the plague since fumbling around blind is half of the point of games like this and this one works well enough :). Also I played mostly before gifts were a thing, although the Hours have set their gaze back on my soul (or possibly vice versa, both, neither, all of the above, unclear at this point) thanks to this LP.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never thought of that idea. Late in the game you're swimming in redundant tools so doling them out to widen your follower's skills seems obvious in retrospect. I'll try that on my next game.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Fun fact about the Cultist Simulator: at one point the studio felt it's necessary to publish a disclaimer on their blog that no, this is really just a game, not a coded manual how to reach a higher reality.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Gantolandon posted:

Fun fact about the Cultist Simulator: at one point the studio felt it's necessary to publish a disclaimer on their blog that no, this is really just a game, not a coded manual how to reach a higher reality.

That was in relation to the ARG Alexis was running, not the Cultist Simulator itself.

Alexis Kennedy posted:

But the Cultist Simulator Enigma, like Cultist Simulator, hints towards larger meanings – some of these are hidden game lore, some of them just make emotional or artistic sense to me and this is the way I express them. And for a very small number of participants, a semi-secret puzzle-project with mystical-looking elements is a bit of a trap. If you’re working through things and looking for meaning in your life, then all the hidden meanings in this project may look like they add up to something more important than they actually do. So I’ve started to get the occasional email from people who think that there’s more going on here than meets the eye, or that I’m some sort of guru. At least two of these people are apparently actual cult survivors. So I want to be clear: there is not more going on here than meets the eye. This is just a game. I borrowed elements from history, mythology and the occult, but I made everything up.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Gantolandon posted:

The game provides a pretty coherent metaphysical worldview and manages to have its writing just sound as mysterious as real occult writings from the first half of the 20th century. Here's an excerpt from Alasteir Crowley's "Liber HAD sub figurâ DLV":

Old Uncle Al posted:

000. This is the Book of the Cult of the Infinite Within.

00. The Aspirant is Nuit. Nuit is the infinite expansion of the Rose; Hadit the infinite concentration of the Rood. (Instruction of V.V.V.V.V.)

0. First let the Aspirant learn in his heart the Second Chapter of the Book of the Law. (Instruction of V.V.V.V.V.)

Worship, i.e. identify thyself with, Nuit, as a lambent flame of blue, all-touching, all-penetrant, her lovely hands upon the black earth, and her lithe body arched for love, and her soft feet not hurting the little flowers, even as She is imaged in the Stele of Revealing.
[...]
Let him further identify himself with the heart of Nuit, whose ecstasy is in that of her children, and her joy to see their joy, who sayeth: I love you! I yearn to you. Pale or purple, veiled or voluptuous, I who am all pleasure and purple, and drunkenness of the innermost sense, desire you. Put on the wings, and arose the coiled splendour within you: come unto me! … Sing the rapturous love-song unto me! Burn to me perfumes! Wear to me jewels! Drink to me, for I love you! I love you! I am the blue-lidded daughter of Sunset; I am the naked brilliance of the voluptuous night-sky. To me! To me!

[...]
Let the Aspirant apply himself to comprehend Hadit as an unextended point clothed with Light ineffable. And let him beware lest he be dazzled by that Light.
[...]
Let the Aspirant apply himself to comprehend Hadit as the ubiquitous centre of every sphere conceivable.
[...]
Let the Aspirant apply himself to comprehend Hadit as the soul of every man, and of every star, conjoining this in his Understanding with the Word (cxx. I. 2). “Every man and every woman is a star.” Let this conception be that of Life, the giver of Life, and let him perceive that therefore the knowledge of Hadit is the knowledge of death.

(see more examples on https://hermetic.com/index).

But seeing how many times I had to restart this game and do the same boring starting tasks again & again, it's almost more economical to get into real Quabbalah or Hermeticism. You could even go full Thelema and feel like you're an edgy 15yo rebel again - with sex magick!
But Hebrew is hard and as far as I've seen, most people who practice sex magick nowadays are not very easy on the eyes - so Cultist Simulator it is!

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 3, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
It's human nature to see shapes in fog and meaning where there's merely cowpats. Part and parcel of having evolved a very, *very* active pattern-recognition meatware. And if you're lost metaphysically/spiritually, then your brain starts looking for metaphysical clues around you, even in (or perhaps especially in) bullshit.
Honestly it's kind of cool and self-sacrificing of the guy to make clear his is just creative bullshit. I reckon there's more dough to be made milking victims who almost actively seek to be duped in exchange for a cozy blanket of belonging and direction (ANY direction) than there is writing niche grindy vidya games. Or niche bad litratchure, in the case of L Ron Hubbard.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

playing through this, and boy sometimes RNG will gently caress you over, had a game where I kept drawing everything BUT Mordland's and the auction house so it was nearly a half-hour of grinding and staving off dread accumulation while not actually progressing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I drew hangers on like 5 times in a row before getting a named character once.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah I didn't realize you could get named characters at first, since my first few pulls were all hangers on, and I was afraid to try talking about lore all willy nilly in public even though there are no negatives for it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah I didn't realize you could get named characters at first, since my first few pulls were all hangers on, and I was afraid to try talking about lore all willy nilly in public even though there are no negatives for it.

That's not entirely true, but I think people get the wrong impression by the text on that. It does exactly what it says it's going to do: Get you attention. So you meet people, but sometimes you also get mystique.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Glagha posted:

That's not entirely true, but I think people get the wrong impression by the text on that. It does exactly what it says it's going to do: Get you attention. So you meet people, but sometimes you also get mystique.

I think you always get mystique? But yeah, mystique is just attention. It'll bring in a hunter if there isn't one already but otherwise it's mostly harmless; things that generate mystique aren't actual crimes (or at least aren't evidence of crime).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Mystique is: "we need to keep an eye on this guy, he might be up to something."

Notoriety is: "We've found a corpse next to a knife with their fingerprints on it."