Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
PC gamers are inherently more toxic than console gamers is a new and refreshing opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wow new COD has a new engine apparently. How long have they been using the old one?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beastie posted:

Wow new COD has a new engine apparently. How long have they been using the old one?

I think at least Call of Duty Ghosts? The engine has held up really well though but it's for sure time for something new if Activision is going to start including Battle Royale each year, along with normal competitive multiplayer, and Zombies.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

PC gamers are inherently more toxic than console gamers is a new and refreshing opinion.

Yeah it's a little more nuanced than that. The toxicity ranking is Switch > PC > PS4

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

Depends on the game. Back in MW2 days, Xbox Live was more toxic but hacking on PC was rampant. I choose Xbox Live with goons because at least we got to collect kid rage. Wondering how will they deal with PC hacking with console crossplay.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have been snarky about it. I don’t even play multiplayer games, so they may not be equally horrible communities.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

El_Elegante posted:

Well you'll soon have plenty of opportunities for fact gathering lmfao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El_Elegante posted:

I don’t think they are that myopic. Especially considering that many users are still clinging to windows 7 or 8, I imagine they realize the immense tradeoff sales face when they restriction the windows store as a platform.

The windows store is probably only marginally better than the Android App Store in terms of curation and scrutiny of dodgy apps, manipulated reviews, and its search function. It doesn’t feel like a serious investment in a platform as much as an effort to grab some low-hanging fruit.

Its a pretty big deal
they are going to sell win32 versions via windows store and its basically like they are admitting that uwp was a terrible idea
In a few years they'll probably stop making uwp format for games and only sell the same win32 files they release on platforms like steam to cut cost and QA time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
We'll probably never have a scientific study of who's worse but I mean....PC gamers jokingly called themselves "the master race" with so little pushback that it's now casual shorthand for all of them soooooooooooooooooooooooo

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We'll probably never have a scientific study of who's worse but I mean....PC gamers jokingly called themselves "the master race" with so little pushback that it's now casual shorthand for all of them soooooooooooooooooooooooo

It was jarring how quickly PC gamers stripped all the irony from that thing.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, it was funny before it became horrible

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Between the PC master race thing, and just the Steam community being overloaded with chuds, alt-right'ers, and neo-nazi's that Valve does nothing about, the PC community is the absolute worst.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It only makes sense. When you're on a console it takes at least some effort to get to Reddit, Twitter and Youtube. Even if it's just picking up your phone. When you're on a PC you can instantly plug a racism hose directly into your brain with a flick of the wrist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steam makes it extremely easy to be a gigantic dickhead about games.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol remember when Steam put out a press release saying you can be as racist/sexist and generally terrible as you want and we'll publish it unless you create a PR problem

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Between the PC master race thing, and just the Steam community being overloaded with chuds, alt-right'ers, and neo-nazi's that Valve does nothing about, the PC community is the absolute worst.

This is why Xbox games going to PC didn't deter me from buying a One X. It's not just the technical issues and requirements (upgrading the hardware to run this stuff would have been more expensive than the console since I'd have needed a whole new rig) but just a more relaxed and easy atmosphere without the bullshit. The BC was just a really nice bonus (getting to play Burnout and SSX again has been really fun). I still like Steam but at this point it's literally just for indie games since they'll still run on old hardware, and seeing the fuckery that Epic's store is causing makes me glad that I'm sticking with consoles because who needs ten different launchers firing up constantly depending on what publisher made the game that you want to play?

I just hope that going forward Microsoft and Sony can come to an agreement on crossplay since Games as a Service is becoming increasingly prevalent so why not have everyone together? I have Titanfall 2 for PS4 but ended up buying a second copy on sale for my Xbox since it has a bigger playerbase there and it's nice playing on hardware that doesn't sound like a jet engine for a change. I wish stuff like that wasn't an issue. I see the argument for separating PC players from console (seems fine in Gears 4, though) but keeping consoles separated is just petty.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Yep there's totally none of them anywhere else but PC. It's also extra funny because nobody on Xbox ever loving talks because everybody is in their own party chats so where is all this imaginary abuse coming from? I can't figure out why PC players would ever feel any ill will with the way they're talked about, it's a mystery.

"I'm too dumb and scared to do anything but learn how to press a button, but I'm better than them over there!"

In actual news, cool Gears 5 is on steam this time. Bad news is unless the console experience is way more optimized then it's still unfair. Oh and they need actual dedicated servers and a not bush league lag comp aimed at making it easier for foreigners to play than Americans

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1134112460468703233

Games with Gold for June 2019 are:
NHL 2019 on Xbox One
Rivals of Aether on Xbox One
Portal: Still Alive on 360
Earth Defense Force 2017 on 360

Is EDF 2017 fun and worth playing?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

RBX posted:

Yep there's totally none of them anywhere else but PC.

This really shouldn't be news to anyone and being in denial about it is just silly. Steam specifically announced to the world that they're happy to be a wild west platform for the exact sorts of people we're talking about. Consoles are under the thumb of companies who aren't willing to be platforms for the Proud Boys Mexican Rapist Sim Commander 3000. That's just the fact of the situation.

Consoles choose to police that behavior (to varied effectiveness) in users and especially in developers. PC gaming doesn't, mostly because they can't but often (Steam) because they choose not to.

It's exactly like how the difference between Reddit/Twitter/Youtube and SA is moderation. Even the minimal amount that's applied here informs a culture and it's why almost every shithole racist board on the internet was started by someone who was kicked out of these forums for being a piece of poo poo. Those place either can't or won't police people being Racists/Nazis/Sexists/whatev, and that's where those people go to congregate. Steam is a major PC gaming platform that can't or won't police Racists/Nazis/Sexists/whatev, and that's where people who get kicked off of XBL for making Hitler Create-a-characters and calling people the N-Word over chat to the point that it actually gets reported and confirmed go.

PC gaming spaces are more tolerant of hate, and that's where hateful people go to play games. It's not rocket science and it's not shocking or offensive information to anyone who plays games on both.

quote:

It's also extra funny because nobody on Xbox ever loving talks because everybody is in their own party chats so where is all this imaginary abuse coming from? I can't figure out why PC players would ever feel any ill will with the way they're talked about, it's a mystery.

"I'm too dumb and scared to do anything but learn how to press a button, but I'm better than them over there!"

lmfao :qq: PC GAMERS ARE CRUELLY MALIGNED YOU MADE US THIS WAY :qq: *two enter keys later* Learn to fuckin install a videocard you idiots. Good job.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 31, 2019

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

El_Elegante posted:

NHL 2019 on Xbox One

hell ya free chell

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

RBX posted:

Yep there's totally none of them anywhere else but PC. It's also extra funny because nobody on Xbox ever loving talks because everybody is in their own party chats so where is all this imaginary abuse coming from? I can't figure out why PC players would ever feel any ill will with the way they're talked about, it's a mystery.

In actual news, cool Gears 5 is on steam this time. Bad news is unless the console experience is way more optimized then it's still unfair. Oh and they need actual dedicated servers and a not bush league lag comp aimed at making it easier for foreigners to play than Americans

:blastu:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBX posted:

lol @ this take

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
imagine that a game with rape camps is coming to Steam :laugh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El_Elegante posted:

NHL 2019 on Xbox One

In absence of a more recent edf, yeah but its more limited and even less user friendly.

Im spoiled cause i've got 5

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Does NHL19 have the arcade mode? I bailed on modern pro-sports games because they got ludicrously complicated.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Intel&Sebastian posted:

imagine that a game with rape camps is coming to Steam :laugh:

any ww2 game with a pacific theater

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

It's exactly like how the difference between Reddit/Twitter/Youtube and SA is moderation. Even the minimal amount that's applied here informs a culture and it's why almost every shithole racist board on the internet was started by someone who was kicked out of these forums for being a piece of poo poo.

:thunk: That's some old NeoGaf type of hubris.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beastie posted:

Does NHL19 have the arcade mode? I bailed on modern pro-sports games because they got ludicrously complicated.

For Madden and MLB the Show I just like to play a normal season minus making my own player and play on the absolute easiest settings. I hope NHL 19 has that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

RBX posted:

:thunk: That's some old NeoGaf type of hubris.

where's the lie?

The poster child for internet forums that keep spawning right wing extremist violence and harassment is 4/8chan, literally started by a banned SA poster, and their initial population was entirely people who kept getting banned from SA who wanted to keep doing torrents, NMP3's and sketchy anime poo poo without it costing 10 dollars every time they posted something racist, lovely or illegal in a way that would actually get you in trouble in the 00's.

It's not a brag it's just the history of the two places, which is not exactly hard to look up either. And it's not to say SA is a moral paragon or anything but it's also not the place where spree shooters who want to post themselves shooting up a synagogue put their manifestos and links to their livestream. And that's not by accident.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 31, 2019

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

For Madden and MLB the Show I just like to play a normal season minus making my own player and play on the absolute easiest settings. I hope NHL 19 has that.

The last NHL I played, don't recall which, had arcade mode where it went back to the good old days of not having to twist the right stick in 100 different ways to pull off a wrist shot. That's what I want.

Hell just bring back NHL Hitz.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's dumb as hell how complicated sports games have gotten. I don't know how anyone actually likes them. The only kinds of games where it even makes sense is a flight sim or a driving sim because you can have control schemes that match 1:1 with the thing they are replicating. Just give me a shoot button and a fight button.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

if you don’t understand how skill stick works your a dumb rear end

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

R to pass
move right stick up to shoot
move right stick down then up to slap shot
move right stick right/left then up to wrist shot/back hand shot

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

heeheex2 posted:

ok

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

heeheex2 posted:

Beastie posted:

Hell just bring back NHL Hitz.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
It's super easy. Just finish this tutorial mode. Mandatory. Then setup your season. After you create a player.

Oh, you just want to play a game? Load up your be a GM deck of cards first. Also, these loot boxes need some attention.

Now we're ready to play a game, but first one of 3 NBC intros needs to be loaded so you get the "broadcast experience."

Don't even get me started on how clunky many of these modes are to get in or out of. Why can't you autosave my season and autoload it when I open the game?!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
/\/\/\/\/\ yeah all that poo poo sucks too. Goddamn EA.

All those games have options to transform the controls and gameplay into arcade mode tho

I like a nice happy medium but I'm also a loving weirdo who's mad that Madden doesn't have a "watch from the sideline" mode when you're playing as a create-a-career offense guy and the defense is playing. NHL does let you do this last time I checked and it's cool.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I'll just keep playing NHL 94 on my SNES Classic

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

TheScott2K posted:

I'll just keep playing Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey on my Nintendo 64