Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

habeasdorkus posted:

I wonder what American teams would end up paying players without a draft and rookie contract salary scales/arbitration? Mookie Betts is probably no worse than the 3rd best player in baseball right now, and he's stuck waiting for six full years of service time to accrue before he can be a free agent. He's only making $20m this year at age 26, and won't be a free agent until he's 29. But if a team could sign him when he was coming off his breakout age 23 season, he'd have gotten way, way more than that (and he only earned $950,000 for his age 24 season since he was still pre-arbitration under the union contract).

The feel-bad story of the year right here, boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Moktaro posted:

The feel-bad story of the year right here, boys.

Baseball players on their early contracts are severely underpaid relative to their value and the money is instead kept by a literal cartel of rich white racist owner guys who rig the rules

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Baseball players on their early contracts are severely underpaid relative to their value and the money is instead kept by a literal cartel of rich white racist owner guys who rig the rules

It’s only because they’re protected by the US government and immune to monopoly laws though. It’s truly America’s pastime.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
baseballl??!?! did someone say baseball?!? yeeeehaw

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Hahahah apparently Barca's squad vetoed Griezmann's signing, meaning hes left in limbo.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Woah, what do the Barca players have against Griezmann?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

Woah, what do the Barca players have against Griezmann?

He’s a French oval office who snubbed them once, presumably

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

CyberPingu posted:

Hahahah apparently Barca's squad vetoed Griezmann's signing, meaning hes left in limbo.

he's gonna end up in manchester city or some other rich club, it's no big deal i guess

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

advanced statsman posted:

he's gonna end up in manchester city or some other rich club, it's no big deal i guess

Seriously, any big club would have him. I hope he scores 8 against them in the champions league.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Griezmann is a little twink bitch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's going to join his international teammate mbappe at Newcastle for a real challenge when this totally legit sheikh buys the club

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

He's going to join his international teammate mbappe at Newcastle for a real challenge when this totally legit sheikh buys the club

Mbapppe Welcome to Newcastle | Best Skills | Goals | 2019 | 4k

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Griezmann is a little twink bitch

Hello Griezmann.

Would you like to play in the Europa League next season?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are man utd going to have a sporting director in before the transfer window opens or is ed Woodward sure he can do it right this time

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
it will of course never happen, ever, but man would grease man be a great fit at liverpool.

instead we'll have to continue watching whoever the bargain bin out of position replacement is for sturridge desperately stink whenever firmino isn't on the field

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

Are man utd going to have a sporting director in before the transfer window opens or is ed Woodward sure he can do it right this time

I don’t think anyone, including Ed Woodward, knows the answer to that.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

My favourite Griezmann memory is him going blackface for Halloween a couple years ago

Surprised a team with Suarez in it vetoed his move there

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

an_mutt posted:

My favourite Griezmann memory is him going blackface for Halloween a couple years ago

Surprised a team with Suarez in it vetoed his move there

Suarez isnt a fan of French cuisine

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Suarez isnt a fan of French cuisine

Yeah he prefers Dutch, Serbian and Italian.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

bewbies posted:

it will of course never happen, ever, but man would grease man be a great fit at liverpool.

instead we'll have to continue watching whoever the bargain bin out of position replacement is for sturridge desperately stink whenever firmino isn't on the field

Why wouldn't it happen? CL finalists, possible champions, PL runners up by a miniscule margin? Liverpool's a big deal again.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Why wouldn't it happen? CL finalists, possible champions, PL runners up by a miniscule margin? Liverpool's a big deal again.

We wont spend the money required

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I don't know why Liverpool wouldnt. He isn't going back to Madrid, they are going to have quite a bit of cash at the moment.

I don't know exactly where you play him, but let Klopp figure that out

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

pretty old to be an FSG/Klopp signing unless it is on a free

if he's available for less than $100mm or so i think that's solid value but i cant see them actually writing that check.

that said he'd be super useful in a rotation with firmino and mane

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That's a lot of money to spunk down on essentially a depth signing. I can't see FSG being on board with that unless Mane actually leaves (he wont).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I would also love Greaseman, but agree that it will never happen

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Diva Cupcake posted:

That's a lot of money to spunk down on essentially a depth signing. I can't see FSG being on board with that unless Mane actually leaves (he wont).

if liverpool is ever going to beat city they have to have world class players coming off the bench. they have that in midfield but poo poo is dire at all three forward positions after the big three (and also defense but baby steps).

also it seems unlikely that all of the big three go another full season without any of them missing significant time with injury

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It'll be interesting to see what type of players Liverpool goes in for this summer. Their best 11 is as good as anyone else in the world, but they desperately need better rotation players. Or who knows, maybe Ock is secretly great?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It'd be a tiny bit frustrating if Liverpool do what they say they will. Salah and Mane have both demonstrated that they can play through the middle when needed, so it's not like they need a specific Firmino replacement. They've got three top class players for three spots, and they could easily accommodate a fourth as rotation and injury cover.

Plus, they've got no big needs, tons of money sloshing around and there's lots of good players available like Fekir, Greizman, Pepe and a bunch of others.

It'd seem like a missed opportunity not to sign one

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Liverpool really need a back up attacking player, a backup left back, and a backup keeper (assuming Mignolet leaves which isn't guaranteed). That's basically it unless there's departures in central defence. There's a relatively decent chance if, assuming the players are available, we don't spend any more than £50-60m this summer. Klopp's fairly well established now as preferring a smaller squad with players who can fill multiple roles so even if there is a bit of an exodus of the fringe players we won't necessarily be replacing any of them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

We wont spend the money required

You can use the Mane money from Real Madrid to buy him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Whatever happened with Fekir last year? He failed the physical after terms were agreed and later it was reported that they wouldn’t be revisiting bringing him in. Very strange.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man i would've thought a few months ago that sancho would be in play for liverpool but he seems to now be completely unavailable

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Blue Star Error posted:

Patrick Roberts from Man to Norwich City on loan is doing the rounds.

This has happened, it seems.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Patrick Roberts to Norwich on loon is done

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Diva Cupcake posted:

Whatever happened with Fekir last year? He failed the physical after terms were agreed and later it was reported that they wouldn’t be revisiting bringing him in. Very strange.

I think Liverpool think his knees are ticking time bombs.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tarbrush posted:

I think Liverpool think his knees are ticking time bombs.

This is the same team that signed Daniel Sturridge.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Apparently Arsenal target Dayot Upamecano is not interested in joining a Europa League team.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Shrapnig posted:

Yes, but they were desperate then

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Diva Cupcake posted:

There's a lot of speculation and we'll probably never really know (or at least until someone writes an autobiography in about 50 years). The facts are that we tried to rush through a deal before the World Cup because of Aulas being weird, which meant that we did the promos before the full medical report was done. Something in that report gave us second thoughts and we ended up pulling the deal. It may not be that there's an issue currently with him, it could be a future thing where he might need surgery at some point or there's a weakness or something like that.

Shrapnig posted:

He played in 43 games the season before we signed him, 28 in the season we signed him, and 33 in 13/14. He had injury troubles but it's not as if he was an Andy Carroll style-crock from the off. He's played double figures every season and his lowest was last season when he played 14.

Admittedly, I don't know how many of those were sub appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Apparently Arsenal target Dayot Upamecano is not interested in joining a Europa League team.

We’re gonna sign a bunch of Ligue 2 kids.