Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off: I can't remember if it was this thread, or some other thread where someone mentioned one of their coworkers dying of a heart attack at, like, 39.

Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. Seriously though, I was the 39yo who had a heart attack that posted in the other IT thread.

It's been almost two months. I'm still alive and should hopefully stay that way for the foreseeable future. Cardiologist just lifted all activity restrictions on me last week. During cardiac rehab I'm holding my heart rate in the high 140s during exercise with no ill effects.

Don't worry about the coffee. Exercise and get sleep. Those two have the biggest dividends.

That said, if you are completely useless halfway through the day without coffee, you aren't getting enough of the other two.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Don't worry about the coffee. Exercise and get sleep. Those two have the biggest dividends.

That said, if you are completely useless halfway through the day without coffee, you aren't getting enough of the other two.

We (as a society) have to stop sacrificing sleep to do other things, it's quite literally killing us.

... I just realized I'm writing this at 4AM because I have the day off tomorrow, so I can "sleep in" ... and gently caress my sleep schedule some more. Again. gently caress.

It's me, I'm pissing myself off.

:negative:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wibla posted:

We (as a society) have to stop sacrificing sleep to do other things, it's quite literally killing us.
For the last few years I had been having panic attacks that made me think I was having a heart attack. Multiple doctor visits and an expensive uninsured ER trip when a really bad one hit while driving got me no closer to a solution. I quit caffeine, alcohol, and weed for months at a time trying to see if any of them were factors. When I gave up caffeine it got better for a bit, then came back, so I had a bit of an inkling that sleep was a factor but didn't really do anything about it at that point.

I then went on a week long cruise where I was offline for most of the time and had an inside cabin with no windows that got incredibly dark plus a nice firm bed. I slept like a baby and the panic attacks went away for a few weeks. At that point I decided to buy a new mattress. Rather than going cheap like my last one I went big with a king size in a middle-high end line. Since it arrived I haven't had a single panic attack and my sleep tracker is showing that I'm significantly less restless at night.

Not getting good quality sleep fucks you up, even if you think you're getting the hours.

quote:

... I just realized I'm writing this at 4AM because I have the day off tomorrow, so I can "sleep in" ... and gently caress my sleep schedule some more. Again. gently caress.

It's me, I'm pissing myself off.

:negative:
That said, all the fancy bed in the world can't defeat the draw of the internet... as I sit here at my desk an hour after I said I was going to bed.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

xzzy posted:

It doesn't help that tea actually isn't a good drink.

(sorry if anyone in here is british)

You must have to grow up drinking it to enjoy it or something.

So here is the fun thing for me. I like the taste of coffee with cream but I am very sensitive to the caffeine or just coffee with caffeine, and thanks to a thyroid that is a genetic gas guzzler, I can't have diary in the morning due to the medication. I also love tea and have been doing a tiny scoop of green tea for my drive to work and Earl Grey on the weekends (steeping time for green tea is 2 mins so its a fast out the door beverage). Good taste and no jitters either because of the caffeine content or the sipping nature of drinking while driving to work.

I have been reading that a fat in the caffeine beverage slows the absorption, so maybe something non-dairy like ghee or coconut oil would allow me to try coffee once again.

wolrah posted:

For the last few years I had been having panic attacks that made me think I was having a heart attack. Multiple doctor visits and an expensive uninsured ER trip when a really bad one hit while driving got me no closer to a solution. I quit caffeine, alcohol, and weed for months at a time trying to see if any of them were factors. When I gave up caffeine it got better for a bit, then came back, so I had a bit of an inkling that sleep was a factor but didn't really do anything about it at that point.

I then went on a week long cruise where I was offline for most of the time and had an inside cabin with no windows that got incredibly dark plus a nice firm bed. I slept like a baby and the panic attacks went away for a few weeks. At that point I decided to buy a new mattress. Rather than going cheap like my last one I went big with a king size in a middle-high end line. Since it arrived I haven't had a single panic attack and my sleep tracker is showing that I'm significantly less restless at night.

Not getting good quality sleep fucks you up, even if you think you're getting the hours.

That said, all the fancy bed in the world can't defeat the draw of the internet... as I sit here at my desk an hour after I said I was going to bed.

My wife and I got a mid-tier king size as well and quality pillows and drat if it hasn't made life super awesome. We did have to make changes to our nighttime routine, like no TV in the bedroom, and reading on our couches before getting into bed. But it has made a huge change it our amount and quality of sleep.

ptier fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 30, 2019

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Our "Technology Training Manager" shared this today. It's an ok article about burnout?

But pissing me off: This happens every so often, and it's always framed as, "Here's what YOU, the person suffering, can do to help yourself", not, "Hey, maybe we're doing a ton of things at this company to undermine every single one of these points," e.g. sure, I can take a vacation, but you then want me to "catch up" and work extra hard so that week of productivity wasn't "lost", so I spend the entire vacation dreading the day I go back and plunge into that hell.
Our employees report that they have large banks of unused leave at the end of each year. We could conclude that we are undercapacity and that our employees are unable or unwilling to take time off because of management pressure, corporate culture, or just the lingering dread they feel at having to come back to work after letting things pile up because the rest of their teams are also too busy to pitch in. We could make fundamental changes to staffing, structure, and expectations to allow our people to feel comfortable taking more time for themselves, and return to work with renewed purpose.

Ahahahaha nahh, we're just loving with you. Instead we're going to institute a leave buy-back program where you can at least get some money for the leave you never use. We want to squeeze every smidgen of work out of you, and we'll have to pay out your leave balance if you quit or burnout anyway, so hey! Why not skip a step?

Source: last two workplaces.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a reason you can't just use BitLocker?

dragonshardz posted:

I'd bet that either the computers they're dealing with are old enough to not have TPMs on the motherboard, or the decision-makers are needlessly skittish about free software.

We swap out machines on a decent rotation. It's just that they've spent the money so they're going to ride it into the ground. I have to use an admin password\disk recovery token at least 3 times a week for users who get themselves locked out\password doesn't sync.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

We swap out machines on a decent rotation. It's just that they've spent the money so they're going to ride it into the ground. I have to use an admin password\disk recovery token at least 3 times a week for users who get themselves locked out\password doesn't sync.

Ahhhh, yeah, good ol' "sunk cost fallacy."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Macaroni posted:

Our employees report that they have large banks of unused leave at the end of each year. We could conclude that we are undercapacity and that our employees are unable or unwilling to take time off because of management pressure, corporate culture, or just the lingering dread they feel at having to come back to work after letting things pile up because the rest of their teams are also too busy to pitch in. We could make fundamental changes to staffing, structure, and expectations to allow our people to feel comfortable taking more time for themselves, and return to work with renewed purpose.

Ahahahaha nahh, we're just loving with you. Instead we're going to institute a leave buy-back program where you can at least get some money for the leave you never use. We want to squeeze every smidgen of work out of you, and we'll have to pay out your leave balance if you quit or burnout anyway, so hey! Why not skip a step?

Source: last two workplaces.

Pretty much. It also doesn't help that we only get 10 days PTO at this place and we're expected to use that for BOTH sick and vacation time.....so you never want to take a vacation because then until you build your balance up again you're paranoid that you might get sick and have to take unpaid time (or, more likely, sacrifice your health to "push through" and both decrease your productivity and take longer to get better).

On the plus side, I'm up to 4 interviews in the queue, one of which said let's not waste our time with the initial call and just skip straight to the sample code test and technical interview.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Pretty much. It also doesn't help that we only get 10 days PTO at this place and we're expected to use that for BOTH sick and vacation time....

I really hope you get a fantastic offer from one of your interviews, only having 10 days that are combined with SICK time is disgusting and everyone deserves better. Just for comparison, I am a test analyst at a video game studio in the US and I receive more than double the amount of PTO you get. This doesn't even count the ~10 sick days and a few personal days I get per year. Get out, find an employer who considers you more valuable.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
come to the land of ~~~contracting~~~ where you get ~~~nothing~~~ and you're lucky to be getting ~~~paid~~~

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

fargom posted:

I really hope you get a fantastic offer from one of your interviews, only having 10 days that are combined with SICK time is disgusting and everyone deserves better. Just for comparison, I am a test analyst at a video game studio in the US and I receive more than double the amount of PTO you get. This doesn't even count the ~10 sick days and a few personal days I get per year. Get out, find an employer who considers you more valuable.

Thanks. Just had the first one today and it went really well, but it sounds like it's a looooooooong process. At least I'm not in a rush since I'm still working and not worried about the company being gutted like last time, which is kind of nice.

PTO has been the one sticking point since I was hired, but I knuckled under because this was my first 6 figure offer and I was eager to bail on my last place after it was bought out. We also get very few holidays off (I think it's just Memorial Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Xmas, and New Years Day last I checked).

Side note: That's part of why I'm bailing now, too...last time I got a weird vibe they laid off all remote employees from the company that got bought out the day the buyout agreement that was evidently protecting us expired. My instincts were spot on so I've started trusting these feelings more. I feel like job security, ironically, is at an all-time high for me right now after so many people quit recently; I feel like no one's getting fired for anything short of deleting the prod database when we're this short-handed, but I still feel very uneasy with the management shifts.

Last year the policy was changed to only let you roll over ten HOURS of PTO, which accrues each pay period....so you basically had to empty your balance before Christmas, because you'd be getting almost that much accrual in December alone, with no cash-out option. I was forced to take an unnecessary vacation (I wanted to save up my PTO for moving this year)....and the day I got back HR announced it heard our constant complaints and were switching the policy back, because of course they did :laffo:

What's funny, too, is I looked up stats, and even though I'm still in shock at what I make here a year and a half later, I'm still technically underpaid for my experience and title. Not nearly as bad as when I worked for that nonprofit and was trying to build up a resume in the field (I did not go to school for this poo poo, my degrees are in astrophysics), but still....I wouldn't mind if the silver lining here is I make a bit more money, too :unsmith:. At the very least, it'll be nice to lose the constant travel requirement; it sounded so nice on paper, but after a dozen trips to Nashville, I'm over it.

Also pissing me off today: Mic was left on at HQ before standup, so I got to hear everyone joking about the douchebag on my team being late to the meeting again. He hasn't been on time to a meeting in months and frequently just doesn't show up. "He's just in his own time zone." "We should put an ankle tracker on him so we know where he disappears to."

WHY ARE WE JOKING ABOUT THIS?! How about, I dunno, you constantly blow off meetings and there are some consequences? Maybe don't promote this guy to lead a team he clearly can't be bothered to be a part of?

Sorry for the wall of text, just really loving mentally checked out and clearly needed to vent a lot lately.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Waiting beyond a minute or two to start a meeting because somebody isn't there should count as a cardinal sin. Like, why do the rest of us have to suffer while we wait for some dope who's probably going to spend the whole meeting playing on their phone anyway?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Klosterdev and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Forticlient

User had already-problematic version of Forticlient, that also seemed to be broken in some other capacity. Tried to uninstall Forticlient, Windows couldn't uninstall it.  Tried to downgrade with the correct installer version, wouldn't let me because older version.  Downloaded Forticlient tools, ran the uninstaller, uninstaller couldn't uninstall because Forticlient was still running.  Tried to stop the tasks in task manager, they restarted.  Tried to disable the service, got an error.  Tried to stop the service from running on boot, same error.  Resolved issue by running the installer for an even newer version, that got it working normally again, uninstalled newest version, installed correct, functional version.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've got a long running disagreement with my director of compliance about how to implement enforcement of a new federal code that impacts our business and it has flared up again.

She said i must not understand because of my star sign and I scoffed and said it couldn't possibly be so, she asked my birthday and when I told her she gasped and called me a secret devil worshipper.

I need a vacation.

Hail Satan.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

tactlessbastard posted:

I need a vacation.

Hail Satan.

This is going to be my new work mantra and/or should be the new thread title.

EDIT: Not pissing me off today.....rear end in a top hat boss that I hate is apparently going to be gone on vacation all next week. He left us a pile of bullshit to sift through, but at least that's one week I don't have to worry about getting another random PM issuing orders.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
More poo poo that pisses you off: boss called me a secret devil worshipper. I need a vacation. Hail Satan.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Lol, just got an "update" by my boss on my "PIP" and it is kind of funny because he isn't even attempting to pretend it is anything more than being done to justify firing me. "I shall list everything you have done wrong in the last couple months, including such large infractions as saying you weren't an expert on iOS stuff when talking with the BA(who also is an Android user and also said she has no idea what is normal on an iPhone) in a private conversation within earshot of my desk.

And using "another developer completely changed the underlying API without consultation and outright lied about what was needed to compensate for the changes(well, I phrased it better than that, didn't say they lied)" to explain why a 1 hour issue took an entire day to fix when we had a PM who would spend 5 minutes berating you any time you didn't finish in the estimated time.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
She's not my boss :argh:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

After working every loving day of Memorial day weekend I took today off. There are fireworks going off in the work chat and its very much not my problem today.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Coredump posted:

After working every loving day of Memorial day weekend I took today off. There are fireworks going off in the work chat and its very much not my problem today.

I only worked 2 days of memorial day weekend! On things that were supposed to be someone else's responsibility (I hadn't even touched the 2 Apis in question until EOD Friday, they were worked on by others). But them being late were still my fault and are being held against me in the "list of reasons to fire" update.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

tactlessbastard posted:

I've got a long running disagreement with my director of compliance about how to implement enforcement of a new federal code that impacts our business and it has flared up again.

She said i must not understand because of my star sign and I scoffed and said it couldn't possibly be so, she asked my birthday and when I told her she gasped and called me a secret devil worshipper.

I need a vacation.

Hail Satan.

man that is all kinds of inappropriate and stupid on her part. Who the gently caress says poo poo like that in a work place

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

I need a vacation.

Hail Satan.

Hello HR.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

:confused:: me
:wth:: engineer

:wth:: holy poo poo the whole thing is broke, can you plz take a look?
:confused:: oh yeah, dang, let me get right on that
:confused:: okay, I see your issue. I think the problem is resolved, could you test to see if functionality has been restored?

5 mins later

:wth:: this is currently gating critical -project- work
:confused:: I understand, but I think its fixed. Can you confirm?

20 mins later

:wth:: please this is critical, my team is dying
:wth:: i'd like to escalate

1 hour later

:wth:: its working thanks!

kill me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds engineer spent the whole time reporting the problem to everyone they knew running emergency meetings and/or bullshitting at the water cooler figuring it would take you all day.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

"You're a secret devil worshipper!"

Oh, it's not a secret.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Error 404

Hail Satan

edit: I'd like to take this as flippantly IRL as I am here but she reports directly to Son of Owner and I've seen him doing bible studies in his office soooooo :ohdear:

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 31, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get a poster of 2112's album art and hang it at your desk but never mention it.

If people are gonna accuse you of stupid poo poo, might as well own it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tactlessbastard posted:

edit: I'd like to take this as flippantly IRL as I am here but she reports directly to Son of Owner and I've seen him doing bible studies in his office soooooo :ohdear:

Just tell him you heard her mention devil worship and that you're worried.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tickets closed without any resolution notes :fuckoff:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Volguus posted:

More poo poo that pisses you off: boss called me a secret devil worshipper. I need a vacation. Hail Satan.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Tickets closed without any resolution notes :fuckoff:

Even better when the ticket that got closed without resolution notes didn't fix the problem so the next day we've got the user emailing us again because poo poo's still broke.

We're a company that is outsourced T1 helldesk stuff, and user emailed 'cause her international data on her phone isn't working. Being that "phone plans" is definitely something we can't fix, we let her know we're passing it up and send it up to the client's in-house T2. T2 closes the ticket with no resolution notes (completely typical of this particular T2 guy), and we get another email the next day that her data's still not working and she absolutely has to have it TODAY. So re-open the ticket, let her know that we are contacting the on-call and send this up as an emergency and double-emphasize that the user wants to be kept in the loop on this.

In my pettiness, I can only hope that T2 guy gets in some amount of trouble for closing it without actually fixing things.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
That moment when you realize that the new org changes have left you without a voice or agency.

I’m about to go on a three week road trip / camping trip and when I get back I’ll have a brand new manager hired from outside the company. I’ll give this person a month or two to prove himself but it looks like I might be looking at a move soon.

Which sucks because I love what I do and I really enjoy this work. But people are beginning to look upwards towards pleasing the next rung in the ladder instead of looking out for the people who are getting the work done and bringing in the revenue.

Five years ago I was hired by my [at the time] boss. Now there are four layers of middle managers between me and that same person.

It makes me sad. :smith:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Error 404

Hail Satan

Doesn't the Bible have some bad things to say about astrology? (Of course, a detail like that has never once made people like her ever change their mind.)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ponzicar posted:

Doesn't the Bible have some bad things to say about astrology? (Of course, a detail like that has never once made people like her ever change their mind.)

She's Muslim tho lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

That moment when you realize that the new org changes have left you without a voice or agency.

I’m about to go on a three week road trip / camping trip and when I get back I’ll have a brand new manager hired from outside the company. I’ll give this person a month or two to prove himself but it looks like I might be looking at a move soon.

Which sucks because I love what I do and I really enjoy this work. But people are beginning to look upwards towards pleasing the next rung in the ladder instead of looking out for the people who are getting the work done and bringing in the revenue.

Five years ago I was hired by my [at the time] boss. Now there are four layers of middle managers between me and that same person.

Is this AWS or a side gig?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Is this AWS or a side gig?

AWS :(

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Is there any way you can contact that person, explain the situation, and ask them to drag you up the ladder behind them?

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
For the love of god, when the helpdesk asks you for a phone number, do not give them the main number of your office that goes to eight layers of IVR hell before I can get to an actual human who can transfer me to the person having the problem.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

potato of destiny posted:

For the love of god, when the helpdesk asks you for a phone number, do not give them the main number of your office that goes to eight layers of IVR hell before I can get to an actual human who can transfer me to the person having the problem.

Dell-adjacent salespeople keep calling our public customer support number asking for me or one of the guys in Ops, pretending they're part of our account team. I've given all of the customer support managers permission to unleash the hounds on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Inspector_666 posted:

Dell-adjacent salespeople keep calling our public customer support number asking for me or one of the guys in Ops, pretending they're part of our account team. I've given all of the customer support managers permission to unleash the hounds on them.

Yeah, that's a paddlin'. In the same genre, sales people who send me spam with subject lines like "infrastructure meeting".