Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

hakimashou posted:

You sort of use the horse's head to push them to your right and into the spear

This is a technique covered in almost all of the treatises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ravenfood posted:

What I want to know is, how can I get flinched by a horsefield and then killed by the rider's couched spear in the same pass?

trying to stay true to the source material of horses from mount and blade - the bump/slash where you could horse bump people behind an active shield, flinch their shield hold, and slash kill them in the same pass. you can do the same thing here with the right angle.

only difference was mount and blade balanced it by having horses rear up and stop if a pole arm stabbed them in the front

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd be okay with triple the amount of horses if weapons flinched back

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Is there a limit to how many mini-ballistas can be built per team? Had to deal with a fairly depressing time in Camp as red where River was turned into Omaha Beach with a lance horse mopping up those trying to take cover.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

School Nickname posted:

Is there a limit to how many mini-ballistas can be built per team? Had to deal with a fairly depressing time in Camp as red where River was turned into Omaha Beach with a lance horse mopping up those trying to take cover.

Yes! one per player. Also that is some SERIOUS teamwork, I'd be impressed tbh

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nah, it's becoming a lot more common place. I've seen it happen a lot recently. As I said last page, this is also possible on mountain pass with the Archer tower near blues spawn. Except they can make it nearly impossible to stop on that stage.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Can you drop your toolbox for another player without a toolbox and they use that toolbox to build their own mini-ballista and/or structures?

Orv
May 4, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

Can you drop your toolbox for another player without a toolbox and they use that toolbox to build their own mini-ballista and/or structures?

In Horde you can so I'd assume so in other modes, though obviously in others they'd lose it on death.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ive killed an engineer dude with his toolbox out and then built poo poo with it on top of his corpse.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

you can theoretically but if they die all their structures vanish

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Recommendations for midi libraries that work well with Lute Bot? I've looked at the two that are linked on the mordhau forums, and theres a few good songs, but a lot of them just aren't recognizable in-game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Recommendations for midi libraries that work well with Lute Bot? I've looked at the two that are linked on the mordhau forums, and theres a few good songs, but a lot of them just aren't recognizable in-game.

Unfortunately LuteBot processes midi files a bit differently than the other major uses for them (LotR/GW2/FFXIV) so almost every file is going to need some cleaning up. You can either learn to do it yourself or scalp the lutebot reddit that I assume exists for ones people have already done the work on.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

You can edit the tracks and instruments that play in the midi from lutebot. Best to cut out almost everything but the main tune out of the midis.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Pro tip: don't play a lute on anything but a duel server. Thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zotix posted:

A couple days ago someone managed to get a lute and a horse going so every few seconds E1M1 would waft through the battle to accompany the crunch of bone and the splatter of blood.

It ended about how you'd expect.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Zotix posted:

No

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nah, the poo poo wore off after the first week. It's old as gently caress now. Usually the team that loses is the one with gimmicky bullshit like people boxing, and lute players, and a ton of people wearing like no armor.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Zotix posted:

Dudes in full plate just trotting around on horses while playing lute is what makes this game great. Thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zotix posted:

Nah, the poo poo wore off after the first week. It's old as gently caress now. Usually the team that loses is the one with gimmicky bullshit like people boxing, and lute players, and a ton of people wearing like no armor.

As someone who definitely flirts with taking this game too seriously sometimes, you could have most people in the server being non-contributing team members and it wouldn't matter. Your average Frontline round has 4-7 players at the top of the boards raking in 25+ kills while everyone else slums around in the very low double digits and the reality of the games design, both mechanics and maps, means that it's all almost entirely pointless anyway.

Kill dudes, chill.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Whatever, I votekick all the lute players i see and 90% of the time it passes and they are gone. Works well enough for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You seem like a hoot.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Orv posted:

You seem like a hoot.

It was a hoot, the first week like I said. Now it's just obnoxious and old. I've stated my point and I'm done with it. Duel servers are fine for it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hopefully this guy is posting up 10-1 big dick KDRs. I usually try to give enemy lute players a chance, but if they do anything against me, then all bets are off for all of the lute players that round.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
In a just world, doing something as petty as votekicking a midi man would get you picking lute strings out of your teeth. Whenever I get motivated enough to figure out lutebot and get some good midis, I plan to just drop a point from my halberd build to fit in a lute and go full murder bard. It seems like the best way to shut up the whiners.

Important bard fact I noticed yesterday: on camp if you see an enemy bard standing right at the inside corner of the house on the stables point, they are are not actually inside the point in that spot so cease fire!

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I was the monster earlier for planting my foot in the backside of any bard I happened to pass on my way to the fight. Vote-kicking is a bit much. I mean sure they are worthless, but that's never been a reason to vote-kick someone. Also, I've never killed an enemy bard in my life, just like I've never killed an enemy archer riding a horse. They're both worthless in a way that benefits my team.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If someone is playing a lute I don't spear them from my horse.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yesterday I tried some "unusual" servers, and I must say that team deathmatch is a little bit more balanced than frontline. Frontline is great if you want utter chaos and/or you have a good team, it's super fun to achieve objectives and capture/defend points (btw siege maps with one side attack only/one side defense only when?)

Team deathmatch maps are smaller, player counts are smaller and it's much easier to "remember" someone who is dangerous, recognizing your enemies and their patterns, having "duels" happen organically, usually having to contend with only 1-2 archers/throwers instead of 10 etc

And I have to say that, except one very unlucky round, my performance was MUCH better. In a match I even kept first place on the board for a loooong time (until someone better joined and started making GBS threads all over the enemy team) which never happened in frontline.

Also I was against one tricky enemy with whom I had a very intense back-and-forth of parries, ripostes, attacks and by the end of a good full minute fight we were both low on health and stamina, I disarmed him and he bowed. I just had to spare him and let him go heal up :unsmith: I'm such a tender-hearted murderknight with a huge eveningstar.

I'd try Skirmish too but I am so bad at staying alive... in team deathmatch it's almost instant-respawn so I can keep having fun, skirmish sounds like something you'd only play with friends and/or when you're a pro player

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Orv posted:

As someone who definitely flirts with taking this game too seriously sometimes, you could have most people in the server being non-contributing team members and it wouldn't matter. Your average Frontline round has 4-7 players at the top of the boards raking in 25+ kills while everyone else slums around in the very low double digits and the reality of the games design, both mechanics and maps, means that it's all almost entirely pointless anyway.
2 people at the top of the scoreboard fighting each other
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1RV_b813JI&t=917s

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Orv posted:

Kill dudes, chill.

I just don't know why people seem so determined to do everything but play with the very enjoyable mechanics. Same with career horses, archers, catapults. Is the swordplay really that intimidating? Just play the goddamn game!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Borsche69 posted:

I just don't know why people seem so determined to do everything but play with the very enjoyable mechanics. Same with career horses, archers, catapults. Is the swordplay really that intimidating? Just play the goddamn game!

Those are all the goddamn game, if you wanna do just swordplay sit in duels 24/7

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I play Frontline when I just want to go ham with a bardiche or whatever and not think too hard. I save my tryharding for duel servers.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Borsche69 posted:

Let's keep going down this rabbit hole until the only viable weapon is the dagger. If it's in the game it's legitimate you whiny turd

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

they're bad at the game.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Farm Frenzy posted:

they're bad at the game.

But you can’t tell them that. We have to give them participation trophies.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
My builds are heavily optimized... for having fun!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Glenn Quebec posted:

Let's keep going down this rabbit hole until the only viable weapon is the dagger. If it's in the game it's legitimate you whiny turd

One day I'll make it through a full horde round using only a dagger.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Only when the final two players are naked peasants beating each other with fists, will true balance be achieved.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
gonna log on and ride around w my lute and wizard hat

https://gfycat.com/GorgeousObedientFlee

e: hmm i am bad at this, will try imgur

https://i.imgur.com/K3Ns1Xb.mp4

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 31, 2019

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if i kill you with me mallet then that is your own fault for getting in between me and my precious wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Avynte posted:

Only when the final two players are naked peasants beating each other with fists, will true balance be achieved.

Fat character build is OP!