Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lambert posted:

I assume they won't. Seems like Safari-style ineffective adblocking is the future.

Nah. Adblocking at the router or something like PiHole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Is anyone selling pre-configured piholes for this. Did I just give away a million dollar idea?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Is anyone selling pre-configured piholes for this. Did I just give away a million dollar idea?

Nah it was already being done:
https://pi-hole.net/product/pre-loaded-pi-hole-kit/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Piholes aren't great, even compared to ABP filters let alone ublock. They only block based on domains, they generally don't block video ads, suck at filtering scripts, and they're a pain when you want to temporarily allow something.

I have a similar thing installed on my router. It's nice for getting rid of most ads while using my phone, but I'd pretty unhappy if that was the only ad blocker available.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

Piholes aren't great, even compared to ABP filters let alone ublock. They only block based on domains, they generally don't block video ads, suck at filtering scripts, and they're a pain when you want to temporarily allow something.

I have a similar thing installed on my router. It's nice for getting rid of most ads while using my phone, but I'd pretty unhappy if that was the only ad blocker available.

Pi-holes are great because they can block ads and trackers on programs and devices that aren't browsers with extensions (games, mobile apps, etc.) It's not an either-or proposition imo. I have both and rarely have to reconfigure it. I just block social media and trackers that I'll never visit anyways and sort the rest out in the browser.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Klyith posted:

A better hope for chrome-based browsers is Opera & Vivaldi. It sounds like the unlimited webrequest function will still be in the source, so it probably won't be difficult to keep turned on.

For now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Klyith posted:

I’ve never seen an ad on YouTube when I’m at home so it seems to work for me :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Raspberry Pi + Pi Hole.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised, if there's more sophisticated solutions that do deep packet inspection of HTTP requests and strip requests based on querystrings and poo poo.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

Raspberry Pi + Pi Hole.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised, if there's more sophisticated solutions that do deep packet inspection of HTTP requests and strip requests based on querystrings and poo poo.

Yeah, except something like 70% of web traffic is SSL encrypted and a number of site and app refuse to respect the system cert repository/key-ring, so you can't do an SSL decryption proxy with them.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
A very dumb simple question. Since a few days ago a magnifying glass will pop up on my google.com search bar when I click in it. It's on the left so it shifts all of the text to the right when you click the bar to edit search terms. No spyglass when it's displaying results, then a spyglass when you click and everything moves to the right making it very annoying to edit text. This might be the most annoying thing I've ever encountered that someone intentionally coded to make happen. How can I stop this? And is this a crime that I can charge someone with?

Happens with Chrome and Chromium browsers for me.

Edit: Damnit... Maybe I'll move to Bing search unless Ask Jeeves is still alive. Haha, who am I kidding. I'm screwed.
thanks!
VVV

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 6, 2019

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I imagine you just won the A/B test lottery and you're all out of luck :shrug:

Not a great solution as you'll have to change your behavior, but try just using the address bar to search?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Relevant Tangent posted:

So what browser is everyone switching to?

Already made the switch to FF

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ILikeVoltron posted:

Already made the switch to FF

Me too. Back when all this adblock fuckery was announced. If Edgemium ends up being separate enough to support adblock I may bounce between Firefox and that

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the best Firefox ad blocker?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Residency Evil posted:

What's the best Firefox ad blocker?

uBlock Origin.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
2 Chrome questions:
- I know the command is Shift-Delete to remove an entry from the URL autosuggestion list, but how do I do that on a laptop with no delete key?
- I updated Chrome on an OSX laptop a few days ago and it's no longer filling in passwords automatically, just the user names. Sync is on and setup, password autosignin is enabled, I can see them all when I go into settings -> View and Manage Saved Passwords. Any thoughts?

vvv ah, right. Thanks!

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 6, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mozi posted:

2 Chrome questions:
- I know the command is Shift-Delete to remove an entry from the URL autosuggestion list, but how do I do that on a laptop with no delete key?
- I updated Chrome on an OSX laptop a few days ago and it's no longer filling in passwords automatically, just the user names. Sync is on and setup, password autosignin is enabled, I can see them all when I go into settings -> View and Manage Saved Passwords. Any thoughts?

On mac os, it's Fn+Shift+Delete. On a Windows laptop that doesn't have a dedicated delete key, you'll most likely find a key that has "Delete" as a secondary function; then you press Shift+Fn+(whatever)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a way to have Chrome give you a warning before it closes multiple tabs? Google keeps giving me methods that used to work in 2015.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mozi posted:

2 Chrome questions:

vvv ah, right. Thanks!

First, I didn't know that was possible, so thanks, I learned something new here! Second, if this issue were on a Chromebook, for those interested, the solution is Shift+Alt+Backspace because Alt+Backspace is the combination for Delete.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Good news on the ad-blocking front from all the chromium-based altbrowsers. Vivaldi, Opera, and Brave are all planning to keep Manifest V3 active, and Vivaldi is talking about making a small extension store to support ublock.

OTOH:

quote:

The only major browser maker who did not respond to our request for comment on this issue was Microsoft.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008
How much does Vivaldi, Opera, and Brave differ from regular chrome? Cause I can't browse the web without ublock Origin anymore.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zebez posted:

How much does Vivaldi, Opera, and Brave differ from regular chrome? Cause I can't browse the web without ublock Origin anymore.

They're all a bit less minimal than regular chrome. Opera & Vivaldi put bookmarks, downloads, and all the other miscellany on a sidebar. Vivaldi has the classic Speed Dial new tab page which IMO is pretty great. I use Vivaldi as a secondary browser (main firefox). I suppose the Opera if you hid the sidebar would be pretty chrome-like. They don't have the connection to the google-sphere that Chrome does, so if you like Chrome's sign-in & sync with google features that's a problem.

Brave I would avoid since the guys behind it are into weird cryptocurrency -- they are literally trying to make the marble economy from a classic dumb SA thread -- that makes me not want their software anywhere on my PC, much less holding my browser history. At best they're idiot crypto-kooks and at worst they're scammers. Strong nope.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008
Thanks man, I'll see what I will do when the adblock problem comes, maybe firefox even...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Edge team did an AMA recently on Reddit, and they were wishy-washy about that topic.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

zebez posted:

Thanks man, I'll see what I will do when the adblock problem comes, maybe firefox even...

Firefox is good, I made the switch when this nonsense was first announced

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Same here. The only thing I miss is how Chrome handles the url bar, which is something I didn't like when I first migrated to Chrome from Firefox. Strange.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

For some goddamn reason, chrome recently decided that my habit of having a dozen tabs open at once is sinful, and I must be punished for it. A tab that wasn't accessed in the last X minutes just stops working / refreshes when I enter it again. Did I have a video loading or something of the sort? Too drat bad.

What the hell is it doing, and how do I get it to stop?

Resonance posted:

oh yeah that was driving me crazy too. Do chrome://flags/ then disable 'Automatic tab discarding'
This is happening again, but the option to disable it is no longer there.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I think it's 'Proactive Tab Freeze and Discard' you need to disable now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I switched to Firefox and I really miss being able to preview Youtube videos with the Chrome browser. I think I might go back just for that because I hate clickbait videos.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Resonance posted:

Sadly, that doesn't seem to work either, not sure why.

Went to:
chrome://discards/

And just toggled everything to "off", not sure if that will help.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 7, 2019

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Speaking of Brave, are there any actual comparisons or benchmarks with how its ad-block, anti-tracking and HTTPS upgrading perform compared to a browser running uBlock Origin, something like PrivacyBadger for anti tracking and HTTPS Everywhere? Most of my searching regarding this leads to threads with a Brave PR response that doesn't really answer the question.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Is there a recommended Google Drive app for viewing and editing text files from within Google Drive? I'd been using Drive Notepad previously, but an API change has caused it to misbehave or stop working every time I've used it in the past year or so.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Splinter posted:

Speaking of Brave, are there any actual comparisons or benchmarks with how its ad-block, anti-tracking and HTTPS upgrading perform compared to a browser running uBlock Origin, something like PrivacyBadger for anti tracking and HTTPS Everywhere? Most of my searching regarding this leads to threads with a Brave PR response that doesn't really answer the question.
In theory, it should be faster. Because it’s built in with Brave, it can leverage core browser engine stuff that extensions in Chrome can’t. They just rewrote some portion of the blocking stuff in Rust, which I guess now brings the “impact” of some thing down to like 2 ms or something. Fast, basically.

Not aware of any official benchmarks though.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
There's a site that I go to that asks if I want to install it as an app. I don't and never will. In the same way that there's a flag to block all notifications (--disable-notifications), is there one to stop the ability for websites to try to install apps? I've tried --disable-default-apps and --disable-login-screen-apps but those didn't help.

edit:

Looking in the HTML of the page, I found this which seems to be what's causing the problem.
JavaScript code:
window.addEventListener("beforeinstallprompt", function(a) {
    if (window.location.href.includes("mobile-app")) a.preventDefault(), window.deferredPrompt = a;
    else {
        if ("undefined" !== typeof window.beforeInstallPrompted) return !1;
        a.prompt();
        a.userChoice.then(function(a) {
            window.beforeInstallPrompted = !0;
            window.dataLayer.push({
                event: "homescreen.request"
            })
        })
    }
});
window.addEventListener("appinstalled", function() {
    window.dataLayer.push({
        event: "homescreen.install"
    })
});
(window.matchMedia("(display-mode: standalone)").matches || !0 === window.navigator.standalone) && ga("set", "dimension1");

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 6, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Sad Panda posted:

There's a site that I go to that asks if I want to install it as an app. I don't and never will. In the same way that there's a flag to block all notifications (--disable-notifications), is there one to stop the ability for websites to try to install apps? I've tried --disable-default-apps and --disable-login-screen-apps but those didn't help.

You don't need to set a flag to disable notifications: You can just disable them for all sites in Advanced Settings/Site Settings. Maybe that disables App notifications as well? Never get those, but maybe I'm just lucky?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If a really huge asteroid would smash into the Google HQ, as a return favour for Amp, that'd be great.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Tweets (embedded or otherwise) with videos have stopped working for me. I get all the usual steps until I click play then it's just a blank screen:

I have tried disabling ublock.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 14, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

For some goddamn reason, chrome recently decided that my habit of having a dozen tabs open at once is sinful, and I must be punished for it. A tab that wasn't accessed in the last X minutes just stops working / refreshes when I enter it again. Did I have a video loading or something of the sort? Too drat bad.

What the hell is it doing, and how do I get it to stop?

Resonance posted:

quote:

Sadly, that doesn't seem to work either, not sure why.
Am I the only one having this problem? Google doesn't help at all, and constantly losing my tabs is slowly driving me insane.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Xander77 posted:

Am I the only one having this problem? Google doesn't help at all, and constantly losing my tabs is slowly driving me insane.

try going to chrome://discards/, toggle auto discardable.. with this option i think the only way chrome will reload a tab is if its extremely low on memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

try going to chrome://discards/, toggle auto discardable.. with this option i think the only way chrome will reload a tab is if its extremely low on memory.
Oh yeah. I tried that, but I don't see a "don't discard anything ever, at all" toggle, just one for each open tab. And that doesn't work for any new tabs I open.