Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Late game level spoiler: Return of Scenic Pond is a betrayal of my trust Hempuli.

It's the monster that keeps on giving!

I've been adding some silly stuff as an early exercise in preparation for the inevitable level editor:
https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1133207128817262592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
...new patch!

That new solution for Heavy Cloud is cute.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Just got around to buying this:

GAME is GOOD
PUZZLE is HARD
BRAIN is MELT

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Another day, another level solved by my subconscious while I'm at work.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Holy god drat does the level I posted about have so many weird, corner case interactions you can do, none of which seem even a little helpful.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Level 8 behind the locked door and Level is Baba wtf is this madness you sick bastard you

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Level 8 behind the locked door and Level is Baba wtf is this madness you sick bastard you

You are so close to my favourite part of the game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Let me guess Flag is Level? I can't see how to do it, but it must be

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm past 11 flowers, 170+ dandelions and have solved some whacky stuff in ridiculously convoluted ways to get <3% steam achievements

yet every week i go back and stare at Concrete Goals for half an hour before deciding i'd rather debug some assembler instead. It feels like a tutorial level (since it also blocks access to five others) and I can tell this is a mean fence situation where stumbling on the actual solution is just going to make me mad by this point. Something about the "STOP" rules and ways to glitch around them really doesn't gel with my approaches.

This isn't me asking for hints or guides, just thought it was funny how persistent some of these blindspots are.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Ahaha, I went and checked, and that was one of the levels I'd been stuck on too, but I hadn't looked at it in about two weeks. The very first thing I thought to try this time worked.

Little hint to help you rule something out if you want: You don't need to move the walls at all.

Meanwhile, I'm almost ready to give up on Floatiest Platforms. Only stage I haven't completed in Mountain, which was otherwise one of the easier areas, I thought.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 30, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The solution to Floatiest Platform was very different than what I thought it'd be.

Hint 1: The only thing preventing you from traversing between the platforms is that BaBa can't be alone.
Hint 2: Baba is never alone, when he has friends.
Hint 3: Two overlapping Babas do not count as alone.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Ahhhh, drat. I was on the right track, but I was trying to figure out how to do this with Baba sharing the same space as text or a rock. I'd bridged the top platforms on a previous attempt, but before I'd thought of making Baba not Lonely, and didn't get anywhere from there.

Edit: lol, no, even with the above hints spelling out what I need to do, I still can't figure it out. There doesn't seem to be any way to move the Babas closer to each other. Or to make Rock is Baba at all let alone with Baba on top of a rock, which was my other idea.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 31, 2019

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1134239878881918981

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Thought I solved my level on the bus ride to work, and took until getting home to find out I was wrong :negative:

e: I did it...

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 31, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I think I've finally 100%'d this. Is the final tally of stuff: 225 dandelions, 11 flowers, 3 orbs?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

I think I've finally 100%'d this. Is the final tally of stuff: 225 dandelions, 11 flowers, 3 orbs?

That should be it (for now)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Great. Thanks for the fantastic game Hempuli, I'm off to join mensa now

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hempuli I registered just to say I love this game, I love your twitter and I love BABA

Also for no more grandmas

edit: Hempuli are you aware that really famous streamers like imaqtpie, Faker and Ninja have played this on twitch?

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 1, 2019

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I can tell this is a mean fence situation where stumbling on the actual solution is just going to make me mad by this point
For the record, today i started up the game and had it solved 3 minutes later and can confirm that my theory was extremely correct.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Crosspost from the Simpson's meme thread.

https://twitter.com/andyaml/status/1131247740116230146

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

That's a quality Baba meme :discourse:

Also now that I'm done Baba Is You I went back to some other puzzle games and they feel way easier than I remember!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

For the record, today i started up the game and had it solved 3 minutes later and can confirm that my theory was extremely correct.

My apologies

Toxic Mental posted:

Hempuli I registered just to say I love this game, I love your twitter and I love BABA

Also for no more grandmas

edit: Hempuli are you aware that really famous streamers like imaqtpie, Faker and Ninja have played this on twitch?

Arrhythmia posted:

Great. Thanks for the fantastic game Hempuli, I'm off to join mensa now

Thanks a lot! :3 Super glad to hear you enjoyed the game (and same goes for everyone else who expressed a similar sentiment (or cursed the game's name???))

I pretty regularly check who's streaming the game but admittedly I'm not very familiar with most big-name Twitch streamers (viewer counts do help!) The OST Youtube videos got a bunch of comments referring to Faker and I was really confused at first.

https://twitter.com/doodlemoth/status/1135267521953579008

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

How did you design the levels? Did each one have a specific goal you knew you wanted to make the solution beforehand? Or did you just drop a ton of objects and walls and word blocks into levels and just try to find some way to make it work?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Hempuli posted:

My apologies
Oh, you misunderstand - no apologies necessary. I wasn't getting mad at the game (though i have to admit that as tutorial level the solution doesn't rank in my top 10 so far, most of which are occupied by the level is <x>s), i was getting mad at me having a blindspot and over-complicating things a lot, as usual.

Fun chatting with you on your stream last night by the way, hope you managed to work that sprite location fix out as you planned!

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 3, 2019

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thanks to the mods for the nearly-three-month stickification! It was very kind of you.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Oh, you misunderstand - no apologies necessary. I wasn't getting mad at the game (though i have to admit that as tutorial level the solution doesn't rank in my top 10 so far, most of which are occupied by the level is <x>s), i was getting mad at me having a blindspot and over-complicating things a lot, as usual.

Fun chatting with you on your stream last night by the way, hope you managed to work that sprite location fix out as you planned!

Ohh, that was you! Thanks for the chat :)

Toxic Mental posted:

How did you design the levels? Did each one have a specific goal you knew you wanted to make the solution beforehand? Or did you just drop a ton of objects and walls and word blocks into levels and just try to find some way to make it work?

Generally the former; especially once I had a bunch of words implemented I tended to go through interactions between them in my head, and I ran into something that felt "cool" or interesting I tried to reverse-engineer a level that required the player to use said interaction. This worked pretty well for the most part; the biggest issues with this approach were that it was easy to leave a lot of trivial alternative solutions due to the working-backwards thing, and that some solutions ended up being only slightly different from each other leading to some pruning work later on. The game's level folder has the level numbers go up to 326, so there were a bunch of deleted/unused level concepts.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

You are so close to my favourite part of the game.

Took me literally days to figure out the other half of this to get Level is Flag and holy poo poo there's more levels.

I had the biggest grin on my face all through trying to solve Ultimate Maze. Once I'd managed to parse just wtf is going on.

Hempuli, this game is genius. It's giving me the same kind of buzz as The Witness did, with it's own grammar and logic but none of the pretension. It's delightful, through and through.

Did you have many playtesters? It's impressive to have this many good puzzles, but to have them all spring from just one persons head is astounding.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Has this game been translated into any other languages?

It seems like it'd be one of the few games that would be nearly impossible to translate away from English, as the words, grammar and structure are likely going to be quite different in other languages?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Baba Es Tu

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GazChap posted:

It seems like it'd be one of the few games that would be nearly impossible to translate away from English, as the words, grammar and structure are likely going to be quite different in other languages?

there's a chunk of the conversation about translating the game that's spoilery and I don't want to get into if you haven't played it to the end yet, but it's enough that the game probably needs to be left untranslated

I think the grammar is simple enough and consistent enough that leaving it in English isn't a huge detriment, though

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hempuli, this game is genius. It's giving me the same kind of buzz as The Witness did, with it's own grammar and logic but none of the pretension. It's delightful, through and through.

Did you have many playtesters? It's impressive to have this many good puzzles, but to have them all spring from just one persons head is astounding.

Thanks a lot! :)

There were a whole bunch of testers; after the original game jam I prepared a semi-working build with ~80 levels and sent it to a bunch of indie developer friends and over the next 2 years got a whole lot of really valuable feedback from them. The "official" testing period was somewhat shorter, starting about ~3-4 months before release, but the testers gave a lot of extremely good feedback and I'm super grateful at the speed at which they went through things.

Most of the levels came from my brains in one form or another, but there are very few levels that didn't go through reworks based on feedback (either to remove unintended solutions, fix bugs or to just generally improve the level.) Some were basically made based on things testers found or pointed out; for example, many of the variant levels were alternative solutions testers found that were too cool to leave out. Also at least one level, Victory Spring, was fully designed and suggested by tester & fellow indie dev Alan Hazelden (e.g. A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build, Cosmic Express).

GazChap posted:

We spent a bunch of time considering how to do a full localization, but ultimately it has seemed (for the reason flatluigi referred to, among others) that it won't be feasible. We're working on localizing the menus and UI, though, so there's that.

As a bonus, here's the settings menu using a Finnish translation I made quickly to test the localization tools:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Couldn't the word blocks be changed to pictograms? eg. IS becomes an equals sign, object words like FLAG become an image of that object within a box, etc. I'm not sure how one would represent YOU though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ariong posted:

Couldn't the word blocks be changed to pictograms? eg. IS becomes an equals sign, object words like FLAG become an image of that object within a box, etc. I'm not sure how one would represent YOU though.

YOU could be a controller icon. Things like WIN and MOVE and PUSH and PULL could be pictograms as well.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

WIN could be a trophy, MOVE could be a little running figure like you see on exit signs sometimes, not sure about PUSH and PULL. Pictograms representing objects should be within a different shape compared to words representing qualities like PUSH.

The biggest sticking point I can think of is TEXT and WORD. I have no idea how you would represent those pictographically, especially since text and words are now pictograms and pictures, respectively.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
All of which is all very on-point but (endgame mechanic spoilers) later levels in which you have to spell words out using multiple individual letters are completely and precisely balanced around certain words being a certain length or having certain common/repeating letters, and those quirks are completely tied to language. The game cannot be translated while maintaining those levels. It would be like trying to translate Typoman. It's just not happening.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

WIN could be a trophy, MOVE could be a little running figure like you see on exit signs sometimes, not sure about PUSH and PULL. Pictograms representing objects should be within a different shape compared to words representing qualities like PUSH.

The biggest sticking point I can think of is TEXT and WORD. I have no idea how you would represent those pictographically, especially since text and words are now pictograms and pictures, respectively.

I actually started drawing pictograms for all the basic words earlier to see if I could figure out a nice image for all of them. If the basic system was clearly enough defined some of the more common words would be pretty easy to depict - if all movement-related words were shown using a stick figure, Move/Push/Pull could be done using the same basic cue. With Stop I kept running into the problem of a "STOP" traffic sign symbol seeming like the most obvious answer despite it actually containing the English word Stop. Maybe a hand showing its palm at the viewer with the fingers pointing straight up?

Especially specific implications of certain words would've been extremely hard to convey (e.g. how Defeat only affects You, On/Not and other words you apply to others.) Even something like "And" turned out to surprisingly hard; the most obvious answers are & and +, but the former is a letter-like symbol in itself and the latter gives some erroneous implications if "Is" was depicted by the = symbol. "Is" could maybe also have been an arrow (Baba -> You) but that would've broken down with how the rules can be multidirectional and I'm sure some maths people would've had angry words to say about misusing mathematical notation.

Overall I feel that the pictogram approach would be cool to use as the gimmick of a set of levels, but it would've added a huge layer of additional complications into the interpretation of the rules in a way that I'm not sure would've been useful for localization purposes. It might be worth another serious try, though.

Fedule posted:

The loss of that bit of the game would've stung but been maybe worth it if the rest was then even relatively painless to localize.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I was thinking that AND would be represented by a simple slash. A slash symbol can be used to represent and or or, but since there is no OR in the game that ambiguity is irrelevant. This also frees up the plus symbol to be used for ON. For example, ROCK ON FLAG IS WIN becomes (rock pictogram) + (flag pictogram) = (win pictogram)

Anyway, just thought I would float the idea. I trust whatever conclusion you’ve come to about it is the correct one.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

and ----> &

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Okay, I'm gonna need some help on Depths level 3 - Crushers

I'm pretty sure my end goal here is LEVEL IS TEXT, but I can't figure out how to get WEAK out of the way first. I've tried inching through the passage by using TEXT IS SHIFT, but I'm two blocks short (one IS needs to be sacrificed to make the middle skull face upwards). And I'd still end up with BELT at the top, making even more pushing neccessary, as I don't see LEVEL IS BELT being useful.

I thought I was on to something more productive when i realized I could make TEXT IS WEAK, and by extension accessing the PUSH block. However that doesn't really get me any further. I've been pondering the possiblity of TEXT IS SHIFT combined with BELT IS SHIFT, but SHIFT is not in a position that allows for that. And I can't even combine BELT IS SHIFT with BELT IS PUSH, because I need to push one part of BELT IS SHIFT onto the skulle to move past the belt, and that text immediately breaks once i make TEXT IS WEAK, leving me with only one IS on the map.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nostalgamus posted:

Okay, I'm gonna need some help on Depths level 3 - Crushers

Various hints of increasing specificity:

Accessing the PUSH block is important.
There's a mechanic you need to know that is taught elsewhere.
It's taught in Deep Forest, so if there are non-Extra levels there you haven't completed you might want to go back to that world first.
There aren't enough blocks to let Keke push a block at the bottom and have it chain-push the WEAK block.
But pushing the WEAK block upwards is still the correct solution.
You will only ever need to make one sentence at a time, so you only need one IS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Thanks, that helped. Managed to clear most of the other levels, currently stuck on Endless Corridor.

I'm honestly a bit lost here. After a few levels solved by putting text blocks on top of each other, that also seems like a likely solution here, to make both BABA and KEKE YOU and SHIFT. However I don't see a way to stack text blocks here. SHIFT won't put text on other text, just pushes the other block out of the way. The other levels usually involved putting text on an object and then setting up X IS TEXT, and that's not an option here. The only thing I havent tried is setting up two blocks being SHIFTed to the same location at the same time, because I don't see any way to make both BABA IS SHIFT and KEKE IS SHIFT without ending up with nothing being YOU (well, except the ROCK).

Also, I'm getting a bit annoyed at the amount of setupe neccessary to get to this level each time you want to retry it.