Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Randarkman posted:

Who's the youngest unique character/faction leader/faction heir in the game? Cao Cao just died :( I was wondering who'd have the easier time ending up as King or Emperor. Though I was damned close as Cao Cao, and I could have been there a while ago if I had hurried up a bit. Liu Bei just became King.

I think Sun Ren (Sun Jian's daughter and his 3rd unique kid) is the youngest unique character, she doesn't reach adulthood until Autumn 207, which is pretty far into the game. She is also extremely powerful and has a unique active skill available to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Has anyone played aging Du? His traits look fun as hell

E: Gong Du but that autocorrect made me chuckle so I am leaving it

I'm running with him now, early game it's quite easy for him to sweep up north and wipe Ma Teng and Han Sui, i was able to move south just a tad and take a copper mine and recruited just one general there to hold down the south while i sweeped the north up. Though now i have Liu Bei and Sun Ce to my southeast and east.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 30, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gong Du was one of the easiest campaigns I played but I didn't finish it.
I just rolled around with him and 2 other veterans in a doomstack killing nobles

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Gong Du was one of the easiest campaigns I played but I didn't finish it.
I just rolled around with him and 2 other veterans in a doomstack killing nobles

Yea my stack didn't lose until i ran into the Liu Bei death stack

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Randarkman posted:

Who's the youngest unique character/faction leader/faction heir in the game? Cao Cao just died :( I was wondering who'd have the easier time ending up as King or Emperor. Though I was damned close as Cao Cao, and I could have been there a while ago if I had hurried up a bit. Liu Bei just became King.

Not counting Sun Jian's unique children(Sun Ren not reaching maturity until 207), Zheng Jiang is by far the youngest major character; she starts the campaign at age 18.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kanos posted:

Not counting Sun Jian's unique children(Sun Ren not reaching maturity until 207), Zheng Jiang is by far the youngest major character; she starts the campaign at age 18.

That seems very young for a "bandit queen". Is she historical? A quick wikipedia search didn't turn up anything, though she might just be a bit too obscure for that. I'm guessing unless she's somehow a noblewoman who turned bandit, none of the sources that might mention her would know how old she was.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Randarkman posted:

That seems very young for a "bandit queen". Is she historical? A quick wikipedia search didn't turn up anything, though she might just be a bit too obscure for that. I'm guessing unless she's somehow a noblewoman who turned bandit, none of the sources that might mention her would know how old she was.
i think she's an apocryphal figure

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

He Yi starts super young too, I think he is around 21? The Yellow Turban generals are absolutely nuts also. One of my armies has a ton of self-healing on their generals and the other stack is completely guerrilla capable AND one of those guys still has the 30k character heal just in case. I just run the generals in and crush their whole army, then retreat a bit to heal, then back in over and over all the while running my archers out of arrows.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Randarkman posted:

IIRC she is a character that may or may not have been two historical bandit ladies conflated together. Her heiress is meant to represent the other one. She's by far the least known character out of the bunch.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There were two bandits named Zheng and Jiang and the only mention of them is their execution.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So as near as I can tell melee attack doesn't exist as a stat anymore? Seems like you just have evasion and damage.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Not historical, and apparently the Chinese player-base was pissed that she was added.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is the vassal patch fix out yet

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dramicus posted:

Not historical, and apparently the Chinese player-base was pissed that she was added.

The Chinese version of the guys who get mad about Pontus pajamas you mean

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Pretty much exactly the same reaction, you can see them complain in the comments section of trailer released for her.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

CharlestheHammer posted:

我不想扮演他妈的郑江!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gameplay-wise I think having interesting pseudohistorical characters is kind of vital. There’s no one who should really start next to Sun Jian in 190, for example, but it’s dull as gently caress to have him down there alone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Gameplay-wise I think having interesting pseudohistorical characters is kind of vital. There’s no one who should really start next to Sun Jian in 190, for example, but it’s dull as gently caress to have him down there alone.

I mean it’s also a game based on a loosely historical book so it’s not even like it pretends it’s a historical piece.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What does the SPACEBAR option of "3d icons ignore depth" do?

It sounds like it would effect stacking or overlap of the unit icons (like the sword/axe/arrow circles), but toggling it on and off doesn't seem to change anything.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Please god, let their be a Nanman DLC

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s also a game based on a loosely historical book so it’s not even like it pretends it’s a historical piece.

Yeah, but there is some contingent of TW fans who get angry about ~females~ (and Pontus) and think these games were all about perfect historical realism up until the decadent [present game] and they are gonna bitch.

VietCampo posted:

Yes plz

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 31, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

She isn't, as mentioned above, but you also have to bear in mind that like, people kind of got into this stuff kind of young back in the day. Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake at age 19. China had a shitload of child emperors (which is actually kind of why they ended up having so many problems, because they were more easily influenced by the court).

So like, while she isn't specifically a real person, there very well could have been an 18 year old bandit "king"/"queen".

feller
Jul 5, 2006

VietCampo posted:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Sun Jian killed and decapitated a pirate at 16. Sun Ce got command of Yuan Shu's troops at 19, reunited his father's scattered men and grew to command a force over over five thousand and even before that was gathering men and killing bandits on his own initiative at 18.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

She isn't, as mentioned above, but you also have to bear in mind that like, people kind of got into this stuff kind of young back in the day. Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake at age 19. China had a shitload of child emperors (which is actually kind of why they ended up having so many problems, because they were more easily influenced by the court).

So like, while she isn't specifically a real person, there very well could have been an 18 year old bandit "king"/"queen".

I take your point. I still think inheriting an empire and becoming a power bandit leader, are a bit different, unless she's the leader because of inheritance from her father or mother or because of their reputation. I was thinking more like Lena Headey in Dredd, but in China and writ a bit a larger.

McTimmy posted:

Sun Jian killed and decapitated a pirate at 16. Sun Ce got command of Yuan Shu's troops at 19, reunited his father's scattered men and grew to command a force over over five thousand and even before that was gathering men and killing bandits on his own initiative at 18.

Those guys are all part of the aristocracy though. I think that's a notable difference, as a noble you can assume leadership through lineage and the reputation of your parents ancestors and such. It's a bit different, though not impossible for (what I presume is) a commoner.

Unrelated to that, so Yellow Turbans kind of work differently from the normal factions huh? They have their own offices that work differently and are gated off by character class, they don't seem to have a family tree, they have their own reforms which work differently in that they are unlocked by faction rank but don't have other reforms as prerequisites, and they have different units and character classes. They also use an alternative to prestige to increase their faction rank, and it's not just a nameswap, it's accumulated from different sources than prestige. So really we already have kind of a prototype of how a faction which isn't "normal Chinese", or however you want to label the non-Yellow Turban factions, can be added to the game and work differently within kind of the same framework.

So we could possibly maybe get some southern Chinese tribal factions that work a bit differently, Koreans (Goguryeo), northern Barbarians (I think this is possibly a bit late for the Xiongnu but too early for Turks and Mongolians, some other related possibly?) and maybe even some Vietnamese stuff?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 31, 2019

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I mean it's not like she starts off with like 5 provinces, she's a landless bandit with like 6 units.

She's rad tho.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If we get koreans I assume we have to get the finns too.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The big challenge with the yellow turbans is their weak cavalry options but yeah having healing on your generals is obscenely good. Their building lines are generally easier to work with, though they're worse with food than normal factions. Money's easier though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Randarkman posted:

So we could possibly maybe get some southern Chinese tribal factions that work a bit differently, Koreans (Goguryeo), northern Barbarians (I think this is possibly a bit late for the Xiongnu but too early for Turks and Mongolians, some other related possibly?) and maybe even some Vietnamese stuff?

Jurchen in the northeast, ancestors of the Manchu.

I'd like expansion into the border regions. But since they're already semi-ahistorical with the Romance mode, I'd enjoy a whole alt history thing where Romans or Bactrian Greeks show up. Alexander II: The Alexandering.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Those guys are all part of the aristocracy though. I think that's a notable difference, as a noble you can assume leadership through lineage and the reputation of your parents ancestors and such. It's a bit different, though not impossible for (what I presume is) a commoner.

They weren't though. Sun Jian was a merchant's son who earned recognition solely by kicking rear end. Yeah, Sun Ce could lean on his father's name, but both Sun Ben and Sun Jing couldn't unite Jian's men the way Ce could despite their experience and familial relations. Even Yuan Shu liked him. And Yuan Shu only liked four people.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I have helped Liu Bei become a king. All by being a good boy with honour and heaven and the Han on his side and I definitely am not rated "treacherous" right now.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd like expansion into the border regions. But since they're already semi-ahistorical with the Romance mode, I'd enjoy a whole alt history thing where Romans or Bactrian Greeks show up. Alexander II: The Alexandering.

That'd be stupid. I'd much rather have them portray the Kushan Empire which was an actual fascinating historical empire, which probably deserves the majority of credit for exporting Buddhism out of India and most prominetly into China. "Romantify" it, I'd have no problem with that, but I'd be a bit annoyed if they skip over portraying the Kushans in order to stick Greeks and Romans in Central Asia (Tarim Basin would make sense as a region to include).

McTimmy posted:

They weren't though. Sun Jian was a merchant's son who earned recognition solely by kicking rear end. Yeah, Sun Ce could lean on his father's name, but both Sun Ben and Sun Jing couldn't unite Jian's men the way Ce could despite their experience and familial relations. Even Yuan Shu liked him. And Yuan Shu only liked four people.

Oh, well, that's what you get by assuming stuff.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 31, 2019

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I don't know if someone else has brought it up, but for the yellow turbans, eventually you run out of people to recruit, and no more will show up for the rest of your game. I don't know if that's a bug or some sort of hard mode for them only.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Someone mentioned a while back that you can get an auto-generated spouse in the family tree or something? How do you go about doing that? My poor Kong Rong is almost a duke now but he's still living the bachelor life and since he has no living family I'm not really sure what happens if he takes an arrow to the face.

Grand Fromage posted:

Jurchen in the northeast, ancestors of the Manchu.

This was before even the Jurchens. Their ancestors are usually thought to be the Mohe, but in this period even they were pretty peripheral; it was the Xianbei that were the top dogs in the northeast.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Wasn't Guan Yu a tofu merchant before the whole warrior badass thing?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Communist Bear posted:

Oh wow, lumber mills are worse than mines.

Fun tip: Don't run an entire unit of horseman downhill into spears.

Do run 6 units of horsemen down that hill though.

The first two will get absolutely ravaged, but the other 4 will be fine!

(or dismount).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Randarkman posted:

That'd be stupid. I'd much rather have them portray the Kushan Empire which was an actual fascinating historical empire, which probably deserves the majority of credit for exporting Buddhism out of India and most prominetly into China. "Romantify" it, I'd have no problem with that, but I'd be a bit annoyed if they skip over portraying the Kushans in order to stick Greeks and Romans in Central Asia (Tarim Basin would make sense as a region to include).

That... would be actual history, not alternate history.

Koramei posted:

This was before even the Jurchens. Their ancestors are usually thought to be the Mohe, but in this period even they were pretty peripheral; it was the Xianbei that were the top dogs in the northeast.

Is there a difference? I thought Xianbei/Mohe/Jurchen/Khitan were just assorted names applied to northeast barbarians that we don't know much about beyond Chinese/Korean records. Like "Scythian" in the west just being any guys on horses in the northeastern steppes.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

That... would be actual history, not alternate history.

Yes. Romans and Greeks in the Tarim Basin at this time is still stupid, alt-history or not. And the game isn't really alt history at start up, it's historical fiction, romance or whatever, but it's not really alt-history until you play that first turn.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

McTimmy posted:

They weren't though. Sun Jian was a merchant's son who earned recognition solely by kicking rear end.

Even Liu Bei started out a poor farmer from a fallen to destitution distant-branch of the royal family. Zhang Fei was a pig farmer and vintner, and Guan Yu was a fugitive on the run because he murdered a minor noble who was abusing their power.

The three of them Bro-ing it up is kinda funny really. One day Liu Bei walks into town, sees a notice calling for people to assist against the Yellow Turban Rebellion and sighs because he feels powerless to do anything about it. Suddenly a man behind him, Zhang Fei, basically calls him a pussy and asks why he isn't doing anything about it and then convinces him they can kick some turban rear end. They go to an inn and, while deciding what to do, Guan Yu walks in, orders wine, and tells the staff to hurry cause he's off to join the army against the Yellow Turbans. Zhang Fei and Liu Bei go over to talk to him and the next day the three strangers are swearing eternal brotherhood and go off to make their marks in history.

Oh and they immediately decide walking is for suckers, ofc, so they go to a horse merchant to get some rides. They talk to him and the dude is so enthused with their patriotism and virtue that he gives them some horses and a bunch of money, which they use to buy some sweet gear for themselves, and more equipment they use to raise about 500 militia to bring with them.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Don’t forget during all this that Guan Yu is supposed to be 7’2” and Liu Bei can see what’s behind him and has earlobes down to his shoulders