Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Steve Yun posted:

Just smoke the same procedure, but keep an eye on the temp more closely?

I used a patio umbrella rain or shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Trastion posted:

I have a family reunion thing to go to on Saturday so i am making my smoked pork & beans that I have posted about before.

Big can of Bush's beans in a hotel pan. Add in 8-10 oz of smoked pulled pork from freezer (thawed of course) and then take a pack of Italian sausages and punch a bunch of holes in the casings and put on the grate above the beans so the juices drip down in. Stir a few times during a 2-3 hour smoke. When it comes of I take the Italian sausages and chop them up in small chunks and mix in with the beans and pork.

Pretty cheap for a dish to pass that will feed a lot of people and get rave reviews.

The sausages are a great idea. I wonder if beans freeze well. I think perhaps I'll try this Saturday. It's finally going to be nice after a very crappy cold spring, and it would be a good way to try out my new PartyQ.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

More or less. I've tried to put a hood on my vent so it doesn't rain down in since it's on top.

Yeah just a quick vent cover shaped into a cone made out of foil works surprisingly well.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Canuckistan posted:

The sausages are a great idea. I wonder if beans freeze well. I think perhaps I'll try this Saturday. It's finally going to be nice after a very crappy cold spring, and it would be a good way to try out my new PartyQ.

I never have any left over to try to freeze but I don't see why you couldn't.

They become a meal in itself though with all the meat in there. It kinda turns into more of a dip like a refried beans dip for chips. Would be great for a superbowl party or something like that with a bag of tortilla chips.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

So after years of smoking on a MES I decided to get a pellet smoker. Starting with an easy 3 slabs of 321 ribs, but still nervous. Has anyone used an Amazen pellet smoker along with a pellet grill? I figure I can just put it underneath the heat shield and it will act normally.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I built an ugly drum smoker a couple years ago and ever since have been on the lookout for a kettle lid to replace the flat drum lid. Lo and behold, after digging up the wierdly located unused fire pit in my yard last weekend, it turned out that it was... a 22" smoker lid buried in the ground upside down. Has a couple holes I'll need to weld up, but it seems like destiny somehow!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I'm throwing a flat and point in tonight to smoke overnight and I've been disappointed with my previous flats. They've just been to dry, and I actually like dry meat more than most. Thinking about injecting it again when I wrap it with butcher paper for the crutch. Any other tips?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Internet Explorer posted:

So I'm throwing a flat and point in tonight to smoke overnight and I've been disappointed with my previous flats. They've just been to dry, and I actually like dry meat more than most. Thinking about injecting it again when I wrap it with butcher paper for the crutch. Any other tips?

Water pan. Not too full, maybe like a quart or quart and a half tops should be good.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 27, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
24hr Sv pork shoulder 2 hr apple wood smoke

sneaky 1776 tea in the background. Also foot on the floor. Look I was drunk don't judge

sterster fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 27, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Got a new kamado and decided to throw something on there while the gaskets get nice and cured. 2-2-1 baby backs, applewood smoke. Just a little salt and pepper, and then a sprinkle of brown sugar at the end.

This thing is a beast for holding temperature! I had trouble keeping the temps low, so I ran at 275 instead of 225. Is the trick just limiting how much hot coal goes in the chimney, minion method style?

Either way, I'm excited, I was smoking on a little 14" WSM, and this can last so much longer without a fuss.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Canuckistan posted:

The beans were yummy, but the sausages pretty much tasted like hot dogs and had a weird consistency. Perhaps it's just the cheap supermarket sausages and I'll try again with another brand.

The PartyQ was dialed to 250, but with an empty waterpan it overshot 250 and stayed at 280 the entire time. I used about 15 lit coals on top of about 20 unlit coals, and it stayed at this temp for about 2.5 hours until the fuel was spent.

My WSM is pretty leaky, so hopefully it learns this and compensates.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Water pan. Not too full, maybe like a quart or quart and a half tops should be good.

Hmm... my MES has a water pan that I always use. Wonder if that's enough or if I should put a extra water pan in there. A little too late for this smoke, but maybe next time. I took everything out, wrapped it in butcher paper, and injected the flat with more beef broth. I am going to leave it in for an extra hour or two for leftovers. We can eat the point today.

Will report back how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’m very skeptical of injecting broth mid-cook to enhance moisture but it also can’t hurt, so I’m curious to hear your results. If you used boxed or canned broth then it may be quite salty, maybe you get a bit of the same benefits as injecting brine pre-cook?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Hmm... my MES has a water pan that I always use. Wonder if that's enough or if I should put a extra water pan in there. A little too late for this smoke, but maybe next time. I took everything out, wrapped it in butcher paper, and injected the flat with more beef broth. I am going to leave it in for an extra hour or two for leftovers. We can eat the point today.

Will report back how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!

That should be plenty. I've not used a water pan for years as I thought it was only affecting temperature control, but the humidity does affect the cooking time and prolong the stall. I should try it out again.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/physicist-cracks-bbq-mystery_b_987719

quote:

Will basting the meat or putting a water pan in the smoker impact the stall? “There is no question extra humidity will slow down the cooking process, whether it comes from a water pan or wet mop.” When we baste, whether by mopping, brushing, or spritzing, we cool the meat just by the fact that the liquid is cool. It then sits on the surface and evaporates prolonging the stall. When we put a water pan in the cooker, the moisture evaporates from the surface and raises the humidity in the cooker, slowing the evaporation from the meat, and slowing the cooking. “In low and slow cooking this allows the meat’s interior to catch up with the surface temperature” explains Blonder.

Until now I had always believed that water pans were important to keep the cooking chamber high humidity and thereby reduce moisture loss from the meat. Apparently it does this somewhat, but they also cause the cooking to take longer. But this is no reason to stop using water pans because the moisture in the atmosphere inside the cooking chamber mixes with the smoke, influences flavor, and lets the meat’s interior catch up with the exterior so it cooks more uniformly. Water pans also help stabilize the temp in a charcoal fire because it heats and cools slowly and this tends to even out spikes and valleys in a cooker.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Moist meat is meat that hasn’t been overcooked. I don’t think cooking it wetter is the answer, I think the meat needs to be cooked to the right final temp including resting.

A water pan might even out an uneven heat or slow the process down which should make the meat cook more evenly, but it won’t stop “moisture loss” I don’t think.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Moist meat is meat that hasn’t been overcooked. I don’t think cooking it wetter is the answer, I think the meat needs to be cooked to the right final temp including resting.

A water pan might even out an uneven heat or slow the process down which should make the meat cook more evenly, but it won’t stop “moisture loss” I don’t think.

So the correct temp is lower for a flat than for a point? I usually start looking and poking at 200, pull around 203 or 205.

Amazing Ribs talks about injecting when you wrap. They don't warm against it IIRC.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

So the blower on my Egg’s BBQ Guru DigiQ took a poo poo and died, and today I tried replacing it with the Flame Boss EGG Genius.

This was a mistake. The EGG Genius is a nonfunctional piece of dogshit. It refuses to connect to its smartphone app in any way except during setup, and it just barely does it even then. Weirdly, the Flame Boss branded version of the app works just slightly better with it than the Big Green Egg branded version, but it doesn’t connect to either one. Some googling tells me this is a pretty common problem, and unfortunately it’s not one that I can fix tonight.

So while I attempt to set up my Egg to smoke a brisket overnight using nothing but good old fashioned manual temp control, I turn to this thread for DigiQ replacement recommendations. Sadly, Big Green Egg doesn’t seem to sell the BGE branded DigiQ anymore, but surely there’s something out there that’s compatible with an Egg and actually works.

Update: I took the EGG Genius back to the store, and they convinced me to try another one to see if maybe I got a dud. So I did that.

And then I discovered something.

It turns out that when setting up the EGG Genius, you’re supposed to leave it plugged in and hooked up to wifi for about an hour so it can download a firmware update that vastly improves its wifi connectivity. Normally this wouldn’t be an issue, except that Big Green Egg is too loving stupid to tell you this in the setup instructions, in-box or online or otherwise, or even in the app you’re supposed to use it with. The ONLY place this detail is mentioned at all is on the EGG Genius product description page on Big Green Egg’s website. So unless you happen to check there during setup, you pretty much have no way of knowing this whatsoever.

So I downloaded said update and now my EGG Genius works perfectly, but that is a REALLY loving glaring omission on Big Green Egg’s part not putting that information in their setup instructions or on the app. It’s no surprise both the EGG Genius and its companion app have so many bad reviews online; most people have no way of knowing they’re setting it up wrong because they don’t think to check the website. Somebody at Big Green Egg needs to be loving fired for this.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Anyone have experience with GMG Daniel Boone?

Looking at picking up a pellet grill but they're pricey up in Canada.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Canuckistan posted:

The beans were yummy, but the sausages pretty much tasted like hot dogs and had a weird consistency. Perhaps it's just the cheap supermarket sausages and I'll try again with another brand.

The PartyQ was dialed to 250, but with an empty waterpan it overshot 250 and stayed at 280 the entire time. I used about 15 lit coals on top of about 20 unlit coals, and it stayed at this temp for about 2.5 hours until the fuel was spent.

My WSM is pretty leaky, so hopefully it learns this and compensates.

I used Johnsonville Sweet Italian sausages (the raw ones) this time and they were good but I chopped them up pretty small with my cleaver and then stirred it into the beans so not sure on their taste alone.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Well after 4 years my MES died. I kinda blew it last season leaving it outdoors for winter, the cold blew the electronics. Anyway it's a new season, I want to learn how to do real charcoal smoking and I need a grill too. I like those charcoal grill smokers, but I also want a propane grill for times when I don't feel like setting up charcoal. I'm looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Oklahoma-Joes-Charcoal-Smoker-Combo/dp/B016ZIB8HO has anyone ever had one of these types of combination devices or should I suck it up and just buy a separate little propane grill and a dedicated smoker?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’d buy separate grills. You get better options for both.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Thermoworks Signals (Thermoworks’s 4-way temperature probe) will soon function as a temperature controller for your grill/smoker. And they decided to tell me this AFTER I replaced my EGG Genius. :shepface:

EDIT: Also it’s on sale for 15% off, so get you one.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 30, 2019

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Spudalicious posted:

Well after 4 years my MES died. I kinda blew it last season leaving it outdoors for winter, the cold blew the electronics. Anyway it's a new season, I want to learn how to do real charcoal smoking and I need a grill too. I like those charcoal grill smokers, but I also want a propane grill for times when I don't feel like setting up charcoal. I'm looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Oklahoma-Joes-Charcoal-Smoker-Combo/dp/B016ZIB8HO has anyone ever had one of these types of combination devices or should I suck it up and just buy a separate little propane grill and a dedicated smoker?

My Webber 22" Kettle has a small propane tank for starting the charcoal. Put coal in chimney, pres butan, wait, turn off gas, dump coals into slow and sear, slide vent to marks for 225 F and close the lid. Done.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I. M. Gei posted:

The Thermoworks Signals (Thermoworks’s 4-way temperature probe) will soon function as a temperature controller for your grill/smoker. And they decided to tell me this AFTER I replaced my EGG Genius. :shepface:

EDIT: Also it’s on sale for 15% off, so get you one.

Ok, so how durable are the probes?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

No, they don't have a flared base.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Colostomy Bag posted:

Mine sucked, I switched to Flame Boss.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I think some people here are too rough on their probes. I ran a Maverick ET-733 or whatever for almost 5 years before a probe failure and I cook all the drat time. Going on 18 months with my Smoke now and no failures yet.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

8.65 lbs of pork butt on sale for $8.56 :hellyeah:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 2, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VERTiG0 posted:

I think some people here are too rough on their probes. I ran a Maverick ET-733 or whatever for almost 5 years before a probe failure and I cook all the drat time. Going on 18 months with my Smoke now and no failures yet.

I had a Smoke go nuts on a 3-week-old probe regardless of which socket I plugged it in (reporting the same temp whether I put it in a glass of water or a mug of boiling water), and then again on the very first cook of the expensive replacement I bought for it. The dude at the BBQ supply store said I wasn’t the first he’d heard of that, but declined to elaborate as they are a Thermoworks dealer.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ngl I’m kinda sad my EGG Genius works now and I can’t buy a Signals at 15% off instead.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Thinking about Kamado Joe all weekend.

Atlanta Grill Company has a fathers day sale coming up:
https://www.reddit.com/r/KamadoJoe/comments/buybwn/atlanta_grill_company_kamado_joe_fathers_day_sale/

Local Lowes has a lovely version of the classic I for $799 as well, but like the top vent will rust over time and stuff.

Any better ideas? The roadshow is like 2 hours away from me at least.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Thinking about Kamado Joe all weekend.

Atlanta Grill Company has a fathers day sale coming up:
https://www.reddit.com/r/KamadoJoe/comments/buybwn/atlanta_grill_company_kamado_joe_fathers_day_sale/

Local Lowes has a lovely version of the classic I for $799 as well, but like the top vent will rust over time and stuff.

Any better ideas? The roadshow is like 2 hours away from me at least.

If your budget is really that high, why not go just a bit higher and spring for a Big Green Egg?

Chargriller Akorns are also pretty great, and a whole lot cheaper. Like several hundred dollars cheaper.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 2, 2019

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Thanks for the heads-up about the Egg Genius firmware update. I got it set up and going on its inaugural run with a 9lb pork shoulder over some applewood and oak early this morning. Hopefully it's going to be done in time for basketball tonight, but I'm pretty sure that all my shoulders are cursed to be done at 9pm no matter when they start.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t have access to my Akron anymore but boy did I like it. Held the temp perfectly for long smokes (and used very little fuel in The process) and could also get surface of the sun hot for searing. Would buy again.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don’t have access to my Akron anymore but boy did I like it. Held the temp perfectly for long smokes (and used very little fuel in The process) and could also get surface of the sun hot for searing. Would buy again.

They also have a bigger cooking surface than large Big Green Eggs.

I love our BGE, but the Akorn is a pretty great way to go.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
15 hours in and my pork butt is just hitting 183. I guess this is a night where I throw it in the oven and pray it's done before everyone starts getting the drunk munchies.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Yup. Foil it and bark be damned.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's why I've started putting larger hunks of meat in before I go to bed the night of.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'm either going to do that or start halving anything over 7 pounds in the future. They're stupidly easy to cook, but no matter how early I start they always take an extra three hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had a 6.5lb butt on the smoker Monday and after 11 hours it was at 180. Foiled it and refrigerated, heated it to 195 in the oven Tuesday night and pulled at 200 and it was perfect.

Shrug.