Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Isn't it not actually a good idea to be under a doorframe in an earthquake, unless you have no other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

im pretty sure any ikea table would immediately collapse and crush you to death

not me, my tactical reflexes allow me to dodge slow-moving heavy things like furniture

i'm more concerned about framed glass-fronted artworks flying off of the walls and horizontally-stored wine bottles being shot out of their storage racks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Luneshot posted:

Isn't it not actually a good idea to be under a doorframe in an earthquake, unless you have no other options?

yeah they're not actually a structural component of residential structures, it's extremely inaccurate advice

and for real the main immediate danger is things falling on you so the best place to be is underneath something during the shaking

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Peanut Butler posted:

oh lol yeah that's overkill, nobody does that except ppl with prepper brain worms
Yeah, that was what I was thinking, too. I mean I don't (and haven't) lived right in the heart of tornado alley, but here in central IL tornadoes do, indeed, happen. And dedicating part of your perfectly good and generally storm-safe basement to a literal concrete box bunker is just ... not happening.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

turn off the TV posted:

why would you build a house with a basement in the midwest and not put a concrete box room in

poverty

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

doorframes probably were OK back when walls were real and not just hanging drywall that you carved a rectangle into for a door

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

get under a table, the danger is things falling or being thrown onto you like bookshelves

good to know, that makes sense- like tornadoes, it seems less 'how to prepare for your whole house getting obliterated' and more 'how to prepare for the bread machine falling off the shelf and concussing u'

there aren't any buildings taller than 1.5-2 stories in my neighborhood, my gut said 'just go outside to the middle of the parking lot', but my brain said 'that seems dumb'

lol if we start getting stronger quakes more regularly here, pretty much half the region is built from bricks, I guess our soil's rly good for it?- I had no idea until I was a teenager that not everywhere goes bananas for building fuckin everything out of bricks

weather service report came out for the KS tornado and- hey! no one died! on a 30x1 mile EF4! p good!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SKULL.GIF posted:

doorframes probably were OK back when walls were real and not just hanging drywall that you carved a rectangle into for a door

would a lath and plaster house kill me more or less

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

solidarity for those living in poverty, unable to afford an extra couple thousand bucks on the houses they're paying to have built

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

storm-proof home that just shatters instantly into a fine mist any time a gust of >100mph hits it

no debris no problem

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

storm-proof home that just shatters instantly into a fine mist any time a gust of >100mph hits it

no debris no problem

why dont they just make the entire house out of hurricanes, problem solved

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

more like the adobe structures the spanish missions were made from, since the doorframe was the only part of the structure made outta bigass pieces of timber it would be the only thing standing after the rest collapsed

it's advice that's literally centuries out of date

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

would a lath and plaster house kill me more or less

looking up the seismic design requirements, shear values are sliiiightly better for gypsum lath vs gypsum board and have slightly better fastener spacing (how far apart you need to put down nails and screws to attach the wall to the not-wall)

it looks like if you've got the shittier 1/2" drywall in your interior walls, it'll be marginally outperformed in a seismic event by "good" lath and plaster containing vertical joints, and will itself be outperformed by more well-constructed "good" 5/8" drywall esp if it's crappy lath without vertical joints. basically crappy lath beats crappy drywall, good drywall beats good lath

but that's all just splitting hairs, neither can be used as seismic-resisting shear walls in the more hardcore earthquake areas, so they shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether your house collapses

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

what if I live in a big gay dome

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just live in a tornado

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

looking up the seismic design requirements, shear values are sliiiightly better for gypsum lath vs gypsum board and have slightly better fastener spacing (how far apart you need to put down nails and screws to attach the wall to the not-wall)

it looks like if you've got the shittier 1/2" drywall in your interior walls, it'll be marginally outperformed in a seismic event by "good" lath and plaster containing vertical joints, and will itself be outperformed by more well-constructed "good" 5/8" drywall esp if it's crappy lath without vertical joints. basically crappy lath beats crappy drywall, good drywall beats good lath

but that's all just splitting hairs, neither can be used as seismic-resisting shear walls in the more hardcore earthquake areas, so they shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether your house collapses

oh yeah, when the big one hits im dead no matter where i live probably

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

essentially once it hits a giant tsunami of debris is supposed to wipe out everything west of the willamette river, i have nightmares about it from time to time

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

i think perhaps you would be safe from tornadoes in the land of Xanadu, as it is not subject to such weather

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

you must mean shotcrete because there's nothing gay about geodesics

they perform great. geodesics are excellent too and easier to repair

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you must mean shotcrete because there's nothing gay about geodesics

they perform great. geodesics are excellent too and easier to repair

wow are you implying that I was call something gay to demean it?

leave me and my dome's cupboard full of top secret gay agenda manuals alone!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

im pretty sure any ikea table would immediately collapse and crush you to death

CORONER: Looks like this guy had... a bad ikea

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Addamere posted:

just live in a tornado

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Die 13 1/2 Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05uYOWTO6KI

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

turn off the TV posted:

solidarity for those living in poverty, unable to afford an extra couple thousand bucks on the houses they're paying to have built

lol people live in RVs here

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Silver Nitrate posted:

lol people live in RVs here

i feel as though the overlap of "person living in an RV" and "person paying a construction company to build them a house" is not a whole lot

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

walter moers is truly incredible

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
tornado that hit me yesterday was rated EF-0, because there's nothing in our town to destroy basically and we were right on the start of its path

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

i feel as though the overlap of "person living in an RV" and "person paying a construction company to build them a house" is not a whole lot

only one that comes to mind is Alan Partridge

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

ya that basement or bathroom stuff is just like fuckin desk drills to protect yourself from nukes - pure theater to keep people calm. If a 'nader's gonna kill ya there's nothing you can do to stop it from happening, it's all sheer luck

Theres actually data that being behind pretty much any sort of cover enhances the survival chances from a nuke. Has to do with the radioactive events limited timeframe i think. But yeah desk could help

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

fortunately i keep my desk stocked with graphite and heavy water

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

some native american tribes will pay for shelters to be built for progeny who are part of the diaspora, presumably so that the heritage stays safe while the crackers who spent money at tribal businesses vanish into the air

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

things like that built to code, which in part means being anchored hella deep into the earth in comparison to standard foundations, are legit

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

ya that basement or bathroom stuff is just like fuckin desk drills to protect yourself from nukes - pure theater to keep people calm. If a 'nader's gonna kill ya there's nothing you can do to stop it from happening, it's all sheer luck

do you really think zero people have survived a tornado that they wouldn’t have otherwise by going into their basement?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Epic High Five posted:

no debris no problem

they all laughed at me when i said i made my house out of formed asbestos and now they're all dead(from being downwind of my house)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Bulgakov posted:

things like that built to code, which in part means being anchored hella deep into the earth in comparison to standard foundations, are legit

Can a tornado remove a standard foundation? I dont think ive ever seen it referenced though im sure its probably possible in an extreme

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

Can a tornado remove a standard foundation? I dont think ive ever seen it referenced though im sure its probably possible in an extreme

one of the damage indicators for an EF5 is “foundation wiped clean” so I don’t think so?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZeusCannon posted:

Generally no. The windspeed is only usually around 300mph in an F5, so it can do whatever 300mph winds can do... Which to concrete structures is not much besides blowing out windows and probably killing anyone inside with pressure vacuum/shrapnel/sucking them out.

That said, with climate change being what it is, I would not be totally surprised if we saw an actual F6 in our lifetime. :getin:

Still the windspeeds would be less than half that of a nuclear blast, so build bomb shelters! You'll probably need them for nuclear war anyways.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This book follows a bunch of stormchasers in the 2030's waiting to catch the first F6 in an ecologically devastated united states and its amazing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Weather_(Sterling_novel)

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

if it keeps on rainin~

quote:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Kansas City/Pleasant Hill MO
513 PM CDT Fri May 31 2019

The National Weather Service in Pleasant Hill has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
A Levee Failure in...
Southwestern Howard County in central Missouri...

* Until 215 AM CDT Saturday.

* At 509 PM CDT, county dispatch reported that the levee District
number 2 on the Missouri River at Petersburg failed causing flash
flooding of immediately surrounding areas.

* Locations impacted include...
New Franklin and Franklin.

Flood waters are expected to reach Franklin and New Franklin over
the next one to two hours.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

Move to higher ground now. Act quickly to protect your life.

infrastructure weak :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Turn around, don't drown