Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
That's one way of bringing Occultist down, though they're going to almost certainly make some changes to the ascendancy to compensate.

Now they need to unveil the Trickster nerfs :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Oh no what have you done
I personally agree but some people here get incredibly angry about it

Pretend you have one of those razer mmo mouses where you can mash 1-5 with your thumb, then bind all of those to one button instead

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Glue a popsicle stick to your number keys and stream yourself pressing the popsicle stick and get banned for it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why do they let china have one button for all the potions?

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Urgh, I apparently touched a nerve I wasn't intending to. Pretend I never said anything about flasks - what are builds that are low-input/APM on the skill front? RF Jugg was mentioned, I've seen some Bane/Soulrend builds that use Blade Vortex to trigger secondary effects (most of which seem to be on the more expensive side, sadly). It sounds like WOrb is low-APM as well? I assume anything that maps with reasonable efficiency is going to have one of Flame Dash/Shield Charge/Whirling Blades that I'll have to deal with as a baseline, but I don't want to get into a situation that I was in with some other games where I built a character I literally couldn't play when my RSI was acting up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

theshim posted:

That's one way of bringing Occultist down, though they're going to almost certainly make some changes to the ascendancy to compensate.

Now they need to unveil the Trickster nerfs :unsmigghh:

They are going to make Vile Bastion a 2 pointer instead

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

wodin posted:

Urgh, I apparently touched a nerve I wasn't intending to. Pretend I never said anything about flasks - what are builds that are low-input/APM on the skill front? RF Jugg was mentioned, I've seen some Bane/Soulrend builds that use Blade Vortex to trigger secondary effects (most of which seem to be on the more expensive side, sadly). It sounds like WOrb is low-APM as well? I assume anything that maps with reasonable efficiency is going to have one of Flame Dash/Shield Charge/Whirling Blades that I'll have to deal with as a baseline, but I don't want to get into a situation that I was in with some other games where I built a character I literally couldn't play when my RSI was acting up.

Just macro the flasks dude. Youre not a streamer. No one will care

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Why do they let china have one button for all the potions?

Doesn't china have AHs too?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

wodin posted:

My strongest build (of the 5 I’ve played so far) was a Molten Strike Juggernaut with LGoH via Thief’s Torment. It was low APM for sure - target lock and hold right click until the target dies. With auto target lock switching on enemy death it’ll be even less clicky, and it was quite strong.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
maybe get some foot pedals if your RSI gets that bad :f5h::reject:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

wodin posted:

Winter orb is very low-APM -- you sit still and hold the button to charge it up and then you run around for 5-10 seconds while the orb floats around your head and shoots at stuff, then it runs out so you charge it up again. It sounds like it's gonna get nerfed big next patch though because it's currently really strong.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Do an abberaths hooves build

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
do this build, kill bosses with 0 button presses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYRHRzhRelQ

e: wait it's 2 button presses

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 31, 2019

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
e:fb

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This is an amazing youtube channel

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

EVIL Gibson posted:

The biggest joke is that at least you can see the windups of those. The reason why lots of people use CWDT+IM is because of those out-of-the-blue instagibs where people sometimes can't even tell from recorded footage how they actually died (remembering that HC player who watched his death on stream not being able to tell where the damage came from)

Don't people who play this game like that though? I remember people getting hot and bothered when someone suggested they add a what killed me screen like assloads of other games.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They could just say the name of what killed you like in diablo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Hubris killed me. It was hubris. Every time.

edit: or alcohol

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

wodin posted:

Flicker Strike works by holding down a single button and teleporting through and entire map until everything in sight is dead. The major drawback is you have absolutely no control over where you end up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the latest worms build seems okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR37rwfjlMs

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

ZiegeDame posted:

Flicker Strike works by holding down a single button and teleporting through and entire map until everything in sight is dead. The major drawback is you have absolutely no control over where you end up.

ftfy. I've been super tempted to do a flicker this league just for the melees but then what if I want to do TheBestContent delve :ohdear:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Flicker owns till you have run back across half the map to pick up currency. Need the Chinese currency fetching pet.

Also I hope they buff ice crash because I'm feeling that for my hipster starter now that you can cancel multistrike animation.. Probably champion or jugg.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

zxqv8 posted:

Not sure you need to avatar of fire, given that tec slam is 60% fire conversion and chieftain gives you 50% too. Unless you have other plans, of course.

Yeah, my plan is "don't pay attention and just always go aof", but yours sounds good too

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rynoto posted:

ftfy. I've been super tempted to do a flicker this league just for the melees but then what if I want to do TheBestContent delve :ohdear:

From what I can tell, consecrated path is just flicker with aoe explosions and 1/4 the range so you can't go flying uncontrollably off screen.

I am probably going to do a conc path guy for my first ever melee dude in melee league.

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.
You will have a good time. Conc path is good and fun and fast.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lamentable dustman posted:

Flicker owns till you have run back across half the map to pick up currency. Need the Chinese currency fetching pet.

Also I hope they buff ice crash because I'm feeling that for my hipster starter now that you can cancel multistrike animation.. Probably champion or jugg.

Everyone else going to ever get the cool poo poo china threw into the game, or do they just get to play a slightly better game?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They can also import their builds into the game for planning.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vasudus posted:

Hubris killed me. It was hubris. Every time.

edit: or alcohol

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
They also have a weekend boss challenge survival gauntlet which is neat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This might be the league I go full flicker

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pork never goes bad posted:

I don't think I understand your post, Tenzarin. Can you clarify?

Diablo is an arcade game where you're pressing buttons constantly and it has generally speaking an extremely high APM, far higher than PoE by a lot. You also usually incorporate every button you have into a single rotation or playstyle - for example, Support Barbarians have Warcries (temporary buffs to the allies), Ignore Pain (same), the Scorpion Get-Over-Here Pull, a Whirling Blades but with Charges like Flame Dash that reset, and a PBAOE Skill that pulls enemies together. Whenever you use skills they either reset themselves or reset the cooldown of other skills slightly so you have an extremely active and frantic gameplay of going super fast, trying to pull as many enemies as you can, pack them together, while keeping a buff rotation to help your allies and more or less making sure that your skills that reset cooldowns are both hitting things and not proccing unnecessary diminishing returns on enemies as well. In the meanwhile you also have to get health globes that are dropping on the ground if you don't have a huge health globe radius (which is a stat). You have a very tight window to do all that and keep Ignore Pain, your main defensive buff, with a 100% uptime if your cooldown reduction is not very high, because chances are your DPS friends will die if it falls off.

Then there are even crazier things like Bazooka Wizard which require a super-specific setup of button presses within limited time frames, you paying attention to timers to start your Street Fighter combos, etc.

In Path of Exile with a few exceptions (like Necromancers that have a bar stacked with skills to deal with their minions) you generally want to minimize how many buttons you press. There are more flask slots and they're more situational to compensate this but a lot of builds have a single button for damage and one for movement. A few ranged builds end up with a single button for AOE and one for Single Target but that ends up being costly because now you need two gem setups. My SSF HC character is filled with active skills I use not to die constantly because I'm bad, but on a league softcore standard following a regular build you'll very likely end up in a build that does everything in its power to have a single button doing all the work for you and a bunch of triggers and auras and passive buffs that take care of the rest.

In some cases like Golems you might not even have to press anything as you go.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 31, 2019

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grimoire posted:

They also have a weekend boss challenge survival gauntlet which is neat

Have they given a reason to keep all this neat stuff in a single region? Just gently caress the players they dont need it, unless your in china, in which case go nuts?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Have they given a reason to keep all this neat stuff in a single region? Just gently caress the players they dont need it, unless your in china, in which case go nuts?

This is a double-edged sword.

Tencent is notorious for having:

A) An incredibly fast and competent team of developers who get full access to the game and do crazy things with it. In some cases, like Bluehole, it's hilarious how their dev team is overwhelmingly more competent than the original real team.
B) Not touching the baseline game because they're buying the company for a reason. Never change a winning team, if ain't broke don't fix it, etc.

There are exceptions for B but when GGG was bought by Tencent the Chinese client already had alterations and people were absolutely terrified that Tencent would start making changes, which I pointed out: It wouldn't, and not only they wouldn't but over time I was pretty sure people would start asking for those changes. This is where we're at.

Tencent enjoys giving the international servers full autonomy. Nothing prevents, I think, GGG from implementing the Chinese server features but afaik they don't, and Tencent doesn't usually impose that kind of thing on PC games with a huge international cult following. The moment they do, then people will also start attributing the bad things to them (Like Activi$ion ruining Bli$$ard, so bad leagues will now be their fault, etc).

Most of those things you see are local events being held by the local company which just in this case happens to be overwhelmingly big. The same thing happens with Riot and it's not just limited to the Chinese region: On (more limited, but still real) occasions, certain regions like Europe and Brazil would have their own events going because of their local companies doing something, albeit nothing to the extent of what usually happens in China and South Korea.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Elentor posted:

Too many words.

I suppose I asked for that. I didn't misunderstand what Tenzarin was saying, but how it was relevant to the question. That Diablo (or WoW or ff or whatever) is worse is tangentially relevant at best. Discussing how to accommodate PoE experience to RSIs is interesting to me and on topic to the quoted post. Of course, people did a lot of that and I'm probably being a bit sensitive by defensively responding here so I'll move on.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That uh wasn't that many words I think.

If your interest is playing an ARPG with RSI, I got a massive arm injury a while ago so I had a few posts on playing with that. My recommendation is buying an USB pedal and playing RF or Ice Golems. Ice Golems is the most RSI-friendly build I've ever seen in any ARPG as it only involves you walking forward. Bind the pedal to Phase Run or, if a tripedal, to two flasks + phase run. If you don't mind the slower pace, bind the pedal to Vaal Haste.

If a mouse is too straining, you can play Ice Golems by laying your arm in a resting position on a wacom tablet. I pretty much did that this league to rest my arm between coding sessions without dying from boredom. There might be some other build I'm missing but out of every build I've played golems is the most passive of all.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Elentor posted:

That uh wasn't that many words I think.

If your interest is playing an ARPG with RSI, I got a massive arm injury a while ago so I had a few posts on playing with that. My recommendation is buying an USB pedal and playing RF or Ice Golems. Ice Golems is the most RSI-friendly build I've ever seen in any ARPG as it only involves you walking forward. Bind the pedal to Phase Run or, if a tripedal, to two flasks + phase run. If you don't mind the slower pace, bind the pedal to Vaal Haste.

If a mouse is too straining, you can play Ice Golems by laying your arm in a resting position on a wacom tablet. I pretty much did that this league to rest my arm between coding sessions without dying from boredom. There might be some other build I'm missing but out of every build I've played golems is the most passive of all.

Raise spectre works the same way.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
If I crash a lot to the point where I cant progress level-wise because I get timed out and die at a certain point ad nauseum, what would be a good build for me to auto clear the whole stage while afk and it's impossible to die, is it any build?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
No build is going to be able to counteract "my internet connection is two Dixie cups and a piece of string".

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Just checked I get 16ms to my gateway, pretty sure it's my build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

If I crash a lot to the point where I cant progress level-wise because I get timed out and die at a certain point ad nauseum, what would be a good build for me to auto clear the whole stage while afk and it's impossible to die, is it any build?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCs9jL-ElIU