Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Forgive the unintentional pun, but my day is lovely because... well, I'm having lower GI issues. Nothing like a) feeling like you gotta fart a lot and b) understanding you absolutely cannot Trust The Fart is annoying.

e: what a perfect thread snipe, talking about having the shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
My first pet, Galileo a cat, had to be put down.

The vet found cancer in his back and spine... I managed to have him as a companion for 16 years.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Forgive the unintentional pun, but my day is lovely because... well, I'm having lower GI issues. Nothing like a) feeling like you gotta fart a lot and b) understanding you absolutely cannot Trust The Fart is annoying.

e: what a perfect thread snipe, talking about having the shits.

Isn't it wonderful how you literally can't do anything because you know if you start doing something you might have to stop and crap before you get invested in it, so you sit around waiting for your gut to say "Yes, I really actually want to poop now, go ahead" for hours?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
National Grid just had some shithead come and cut our power. My mom has been in talks with them to get assistance because all the money is going towards the mortgage and medical bills right now, and the increased property values resulting in a further $150 charge a month on the mortgage basically ate the money that would be going towards the electric bill each month. Our local electric is the worst, base 100 dollars a month plus whatever you use, while one town over its a tenth of that. But there was a hold on her bill until things get sorted out, yet this dipshit comes over, absolutely hammers on the meter, and cuts the power. When I asked her what the gently caress, she said "call them and figure it out, it's not my problem"(not exact words but VERY close). So mom calls NG and they're like "yeah your power shouldn't have been cut" and now someone will come out and fix it some time in the next 24 hours. They can send someone out immediately to kill the power, but not to fix it immediately due to their own fuckup. gently caress national grid so hard.

edit: it took them nearly eight hours to fix their own loving mistake. very cool and good, and we get no compensation for their fuckup I'm sure

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 00:35 on May 17, 2019

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

8 years ago today, I almost died in a hiking accident. It was extremely close. I'm extremely lucky to be alive.

Today someone died on a mountain very close to where I was, an equally easy and popular mountain, pretty much the exact same scenario. And I'm not handling it at all. I'm completely freaking out. I'm shaking out of control, I'm crying, I'm having a meltdown. Just knowing it happened. Social media is being blasted with the story because I follow a lot of outdoor and hiking groups, local news, etc so that's a log off for a few days from that.

I haven't dealt with the trauma from that day and it's clear I really need to now because I shouldn't be having this kind of response anymore.

It's interesting because I've told the story of what happened a million times without it triggering any PTSD but every now and then it hits me hard, and this is the worst episode so far. I've caught myself staring at the wall spaced out numerous times because I get lost in it. But usually it doesn't induce this level of panic attack.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Facing your own mortality like that and having flashbacks to that moment can be extremely difficult, for sure. I had had some dangerous experiences before but never actually had that "oh, I almost died horrifically there" experience until I slipped while trying to get something at my job on a piece of moving machinery, and nearly got impaled horizontally by two 4-foot-long metal rods designed to PROTECT people from the machinery I was stuck in. They were literally less than a second from piercing me through the side of my ribcage and abdomen where my kidneys are(and trust me, the power of the thing I was on would ensure impalement) when I frantically leapt backwards off the machinery. I was fine but then started shaking uncontrollably like a half hour later, once it had settled in and I ran it back through my head. I mentioned that maybe maintenance ought to move the safety emergency shutoff detector to the ends of those rods instead of, you know, two feet past them where anyone would already be shishkebab'd, but they never did anything about it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
lovely thing 1: Due to a case of oh-I-need-this-toos dring a trip to the grocery store and a second store, I wound up having to carry an extra bag from the grocery store. The second bag had something bulky/cumbersome enough in it that it wasn't the easiest of grips with one hand, so it made the remainder of my shopping more annoying than I would have liked. Oh, and it was windy as hell today, which means the bulky item caught every stray gust of wind.

lovely thing 2: On a whim, the other day I bought some of those put-your-shoes-into-these-to-turn-them-into-skates, only realizing after the fact that 90% of the places I'd like to skate around are expressly "don't skate here" places.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Shat up me gusset at work

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

MisterBibs posted:

lovely thing 2: On a whim, the other day I bought some of those put-your-shoes-into-these-to-turn-them-into-skates, only realizing after the fact that 90% of the places I'd like to skate around are expressly "don't skate here" places.

Invest in a pair of actual skates. Trust me on this one. Ankle support is crucial, especially if you're street skating.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

Invest in a pair of actual skates. Trust me on this one. Ankle support is crucial, especially if you're street skating.

Like, in the very part of the post you quoted I made it clear that almost everywhere I want to skate is skate-forbidden already, so I don't think the smart play is to invest in even more expensive versions of the things I'm not going to use much...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM #ad📢

I need to go to work soon but I just want to sit and play witcher 3 blood and wine

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My boss is an rear end in a top hat, my job is intensely stressful and I'm just so tired. I want desperately to transfer but I'm not sure if rear end in a top hat boss will allow it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm a moron lol. I was too lazy to switch my direct deposit info at work when I started using a new bank, so I was just e-transferring my paycheques to myself. They recently changed the login from an account number to the full number on my debit card, which I destroyed when I switched banks. So now I can't sign in and access my money until I get a new card sent to me. Currently on hold waiting to see if there's a way I can sign in because I need to make a credit card payment in the next couple days.

Edit: They gave me my new number over the phone. Hooray, I'm not dead rear end broke for two weeks.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 23:45 on May 22, 2019

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Stupid error at work was, unreasonably imho, flagged up to my TL in a game of bitchy politics last thing Friday. This is leading to my work being rechecked next week and it hanging over and clouding up my BH weekend because I Am Dreading It. And because my brain hates me, I Can't Stop Thinking About It and Possibly Losing My Job (yay catastrophic thinking). At best Bitchy Politik Colleague will feel superior about my failed case.

Little Acorns
Apr 5, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I cant stop crying - its been a whole week - and i want to die. Only back in November i was happy. Someone was very irresponsible with an already fragile heart :( Why did he have to hurt me? I wish he did it to someone that can manage this pain or no one at all. I cant eat or sleep and i just want to drink until i die. i think this was the straw that broke the camels back for me.. i give up on life.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I voted today. Why was it lovely, do you ask? Well I live in a loving backwards country that has separate voting booths for men and women. I'm trans but I haven't had my legal gender change yet (it takes time and money), so I had to out myself in front of the whole polling station (literally dozens of people) in order to be able to vote.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Mikl posted:

I voted today. Why was it lovely, do you ask? Well I live in a loving backwards country that has separate voting booths for men and women. I'm trans but I haven't had my legal gender change yet (it takes time and money), so I had to out myself in front of the whole polling station (literally dozens of people) in order to be able to vote.

what the gently caress. why the actual hell is that a thing?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I guess you vote by slapping your genitals against a screen?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The tl;dr of it is that they have two big books, one for men and one for women, where the names of all people who are allowed to vote (of age, nothing disqualifying) are written down. When you vote you present your voter card and ID, and they check the name against the list of names in the book to make sure you're both allowed to vote, and haven't voted before for that election.

So you have one queue for men, and one for women, and you have to line up in the queue for your legal gender.

This, of course, causes problems for those folks whose legal gender doesn't match their actual gender. (Not to mention enbies and agender folks, because gently caress 'em, am I right?)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish I understood why I can be in an area where 80% of the time my deliveries from Amazon et al know to drop my orders off at the nearby rental building for pickup, but the other 20% flail about because my building's front door is properly locked.

Like, I kinda get it because if I was in those jobs and it said Deliver To X I wouldn't think to deliver to Y 50 Feet From X, but uuugh.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

Stupid error at work was, unreasonably imho, flagged up to my TL in a game of bitchy politics last thing Friday. This is leading to my work being rechecked next week and it hanging over and clouding up my BH weekend because I Am Dreading It. And because my brain hates me, I Can't Stop Thinking About It and Possibly Losing My Job (yay catastrophic thinking). At best Bitchy Politik Colleague will feel superior about my failed case.

Today is the day. Just dreading going into work, and it ruined my BH weekend. I know rationally that the worst I will get is a smacked wrist but I hate being public humiliated and you know, anxiety is a bugger, y'all.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to reach out to an old friend, but it's been too long because you're a hermetic, lazy person.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Little Acorns posted:

I cant stop crying - its been a whole week - and i want to die. Only back in November i was happy. Someone was very irresponsible with an already fragile heart :( Why did he have to hurt me? I wish he did it to someone that can manage this pain or no one at all. I cant eat or sleep and i just want to drink until i die. i think this was the straw that broke the camels back for me.. i give up on life.

Have you talked to anyone, besides goons? Not that we're all bad but still.

My cat died a little over a month ago. I've been doing okay until today, when I saw the last photos I ever took of her, and just broke down sobbing like a baby. It hit me stupid hard, to the point I look at some of the other cats and wonder why I have them, because none of them seem to matter with her gone, and I realize that is not fair at all to them. I also keep wondering if I could have prevented her dying if I had only taken her to the vet sooner or gotten her dental stuff taken care of sooner. I was doing so well, to the point none of my friends even guessed she was gone.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The forest fire smoke is really bad already and I'm allergic so my throat is half closed and breathing isn't easy. Probably 3 more months of this. Hooray.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
We're getting really hot weather over in england too - yesterday and today are both 20 degrees C, normally our heatwaves cap around 17

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Our normal is 23C in summer, last summer it was 30-35C for over a month and one day it got to 40C. No rain at all. And thick smoke the whole time. I had really bad lungs and temperature regulation problems last year and had to leave work early almost every day because of how sick it made me. Watch it happen again this summer. My lungs and body temp are better this year, but this evening I've already been having a hard time.

And I totally sympathize with your heat problems even though it's way lower than here. Too hot, too cold, it's all relative to what you're used to. I was in Belize for 2 months and got used to 30C everyday. One day it dropped to 17C and it was FREEZING. The air had that crisp sharpness to it that I'm used to experiencing wjen it's like 5C back home. Everyone was wearing all their clothes to bed because they were shivering like crazy. What feels hot or cold to someone is completely relative.

Not having air con doesn't help either. We have that here in most public spaces but in homes it's more of a luxury. Most of us just have fans. But basements in houses help, it's pretty cool underground.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Picnic Princess posted:

Our normal is 23C in summer, last summer it was 30-35C for over a month and one day it got to 40C. No rain at all. And thick smoke the whole time. I had really bad lungs and temperature regulation problems last year and had to leave work early almost every day because of how sick it made me. Watch it happen again this summer. My lungs and body temp are better this year, but this evening I've already been having a hard time.

And I totally sympathize with your heat problems even though it's way lower than here. Too hot, too cold, it's all relative to what you're used to. I was in Belize for 2 months and got used to 30C everyday. One day it dropped to 17C and it was FREEZING. The air had that crisp sharpness to it that I'm used to experiencing wjen it's like 5C back home. Everyone was wearing all their clothes to bed because they were shivering like crazy. What feels hot or cold to someone is completely relative.

Not having air con doesn't help either. We have that here in most public spaces but in homes it's more of a luxury. Most of us just have fans. But basements in houses help, it's pretty cool underground.

England heat feels more severe because unlike the US, we're a small island, which means used to colder weather. As a result, while the US is build to regulate temperature in both extremes, England isn't used to warmer weather, so the buildings are built to trap heat because of the usually cold climate. Hell, we are on the same latitude at Canada and Russia, the current around the southwest of us is the only reason we aren't frozen over most of the year like those two are known for getting, so trapping what little heat we got was the priority. Everything is insulated and doubleglazed to hell as a result, so when it gets hot it really gets hot.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I was taught in Finnish school that England does not know about insulation so they sleep with hot bricks and water bottles, and their water is in 2 taps, one for cold drinking water and the other for boiled rat water. Is this outdated?

Finland has some weather too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I moved from Canada to Australia and it got down to 11C/52F the other day. 11C is way worse in Melbourne than Vancouver, especially in a place with floor to ceiling windows. You can feel the cold going right through the glass and it's even worse when it's windy.

The only heat I get is from one of those AC units near the ceiling, so it does a great job of heating the ceiling and nothing else. It's like they design houses the same way for the whole country and don't realise Victoria/Tasmania actually gets cold.

In Vancouver I was always comfortable inside, even in a 100 year old house with single pane windows. And 15C is basically shorts weather with the humidity and lack of wind, while I don't even think about shorts in Melbourne until it's above 20.

On the other hand, western Canada only gets three months of good weather and maybe not even that anymore since summer has been replaced by forest fire season for several years in a row now. I'll be laughing come September.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

doverhog posted:

I was taught in Finnish school that England does not know about insulation so they sleep with hot bricks and water bottles, and their water is in 2 taps, one for cold drinking water and the other for boiled rat water. Is this outdated?

Mostly.

Cold water came from the mains and was drinking safe. Hot water came from a storage tank in the house that was frequently not well maintained and so wasn't considered drinking safe. Not well maintained could mean rats get in. The 2 taps kept them separate, just in case.

Now they have water heaters like normal people though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

doverhog posted:

Please tell me you called it "Finnishing School."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've misplaced my inhaler, so my go-to med for errant asthma attacks* is Bronkaid, which makes my heart race a little more than I'd like. And nothing like "wow my heart rate is higher than I'd like" to make the whole relax-enough-so-your-heart-rate-slower rather difficult.

* Or, equally lovely, getting a new spray deodorant that is surprisingly forceful, meaning you're 90% sure your asthma attack is accidentally breathing in some blowback from the spray. Or not, and it's all in your head.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just got done with 11 hours almost straight of ridiculously heavy work at my job, which is labor(UPS). Started early and then was forced to work my lunch break, which is apparently a thing they can do, so I got 20 minutes to wolf down what I could before having to start my second shift, which went over an hour longer than it normally does, and was really heavy almost the whole time. It seems the reason for this was a fire at another hub which rerouted all their work to our hub, with predictable results. What a trainwreck, my entire body is sore as gently caress thanks to not having the normal hour lunch to rest my body between shifts. And it's only monday. this poo poo better not continue all week.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM #ad📢

Big storm knocked out the power. Been about 9 hours. 55000 without power. Dont worry tho they got the power back on in the million dollar homes neighborhood

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
so this week, Tuesday and Wednesday, my work sent two cars to be ozone cleaned because they reeked of dog, and the cars were NOT aired out before pickup, so that even with the windows rolled all the way down, the 35 minute drive between the pickup location and getting them back to the shop exposed me to so much ozone that i had breathing problems and seriously feared I'd gotten brain damage because when i got out of the vehicle my eyes wouldn't focus and i had lost my fine motor control. my boss LAUGHED AT ME for my concerns. i have preexisting chronic bronchitis and ever since iveewnen wheezing much more than usual and having a hard time coughing up any of the mucus i can hear and feel in my lungs. i cannot get approval to get my lungs looked at under workers comp because my boss doesn't think it's an issue despite the fact that there is COPIOUS RESEARCH ON OZONE EXPOSURE. i hope i die in my sleep and my parents find out soon enough to look after my cat for me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

oldpainless posted:

Big storm knocked out the power. Been about 9 hours. 55000 without power. Don’t worry tho they got the power back on in the million dollar homes neighborhood

I live in a sketchy-rear end trailer park out in the sticks that taxi drivers refuse to go into, and somehow we're on the same grid as the rich bougieville a few kms away. Whenever the power shits out we always get ours back hours before the rest of the town since bougieville is always a top priority.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't sleep. I had a day that drained me, so I took a nap when I got home and that sapped any desire to rest any more. Well, that and the half-asleep zone-out I had later, too.

I'm supposed to go to the zoo tomorrow, and my alarm is going off in about six hours. So I'll be tired as poo poo at a fun place that, weather-wise, might be pretty good.

(I'm sorta hoping it'll be lovely tommorow as an excuse to not go, but all the forecasts say it'll be fine until later in the day. Which would be great, except for... well, start from the start of this post.)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I am... tired, of a lot of things, and increasingly wondering what the loving point of bothering anymore is. A lot of things I can deal with (might be better to say I have to whether I like it or not) but the straw that finally broke the camel's back day before yesterday is that I hadn't even realized I'd gotten my hopes up again. It's been almost fifteen years, when am I going to be over her?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My boss wants me to sign a Final Corrective Action form. I refused today so she sent me home. Now there's a message on my phone from someone at work that I'm carefully not listening to. This is my first real full time job. I need this. It feels like she's making poo poo up about me and using it as an excuse to get rid of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found out the new contract at work doesn't actually result in me getting a decent progressive raise until I hit 4 years, instead I make "too much" already so I get no raises until I hit the end of the 4 year progression, then I jump from 20 dollars to 33 or some poo poo. So another 2 years and 2 months with the same garbage paychecks and then suddenly I'm making over one and a half times that.

gently caress this stupid country and this bullshit