Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Looking at her Instagram, I think they just replace the model's face. Otherwise you'd have to re-create all the clothes etc. Paying a no-name model and replacing his/her face is probably the cheapest option.

yea i think itll start out with people basically selling the rights to pictures of themselves that then have the faces replaced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I can't wait until we're able to recreate the scene from Mona Lisa Overdrive where a guy is at a tailor's and the mirrors are actually screens that make his reflection look better than he is in real life.

I want that for my eyeballs

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The modelling industry is super exploitative and hosed up, so if the industry isn't going to actually change what's the harm in at least using completely fake people to promote unrealistic standards? I mean, ignoring the fact that they'll start promoting standards that are even more unrealistic, but it might just turn into an arms race. From what I've been seeing most "influencers" aren't real anyway, every picture is heavily edited. I can't wait until we're able to recreate the scene from Mona Lisa Overdrive where a guy is at a tailor's and the mirrors are actually screens that make his reflection look better than he is in real life.

That tech already exists! Though afaik it's only being used to encourage makeup try-ons rather than flattering customers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Not a fan of totally unmooring society's standards of attractiveness from the physical limits of human reality.

But I suppose that's the direction we've been headed anyways.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The modelling industry is super exploitative and hosed up, so if the industry isn't going to actually change what's the harm in at least using completely fake people to promote unrealistic standards? I mean, ignoring the fact that they'll start promoting standards that are even more unrealistic, but it might just turn into an arms race. From what I've been seeing most "influencers" aren't real anyway, every picture is heavily edited. I can't wait until we're able to recreate the scene from Mona Lisa Overdrive where a guy is at a tailor's and the mirrors are actually screens that make his reflection look better than he is in real life.

i mean the basic question remains: how is a computer gonna suck dick for gigs?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you hit a computer and call it fat, it just doesn't care. big minus

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

What episode of Lazytown was this?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Livin Cool

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Prav posted:

We could probably simulate caring to a level indistinguishable from reality.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not a fan of totally unmooring society's standards of attractiveness from the physical limits of human reality.

But I suppose that's the direction we've been headed anyways.

thats what airbrushing and photoshop has been doing for decades

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

miku-chan..

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Shear Modulus posted:

thats what airbrushing and photoshop has been doing for decades

yeah this definitely seems like the logical evolution of what we’ve already been doing with makeup and lighting, then airbrushing and photoshop. there are already examples of hilariously unrealistic representations of beauty. this just pushes a little farther.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

what if you just put a mannequin on top of a roomba?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Nastier Nate posted:

That's a gently caress doll not a fashion model.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Outrail posted:

That's a gently caress doll not a fashion model.

Who says it can't be both? Also lol av/post combo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Nastier Nate posted:

The Russians used a mannequin on a roomba

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

silentsnack posted:

Also lol av/post combo.
Dear Sir,

Your robot eye candy is on the absolute wrong side of the uncanny valley. Please remedy.

Yours in Christ,

Outrail

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
virtual tyra banks is going to be the virtual virtual abusive mommy for a gaggle of virtual teens on cyberspace's next top model

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ugato posted:

yeah this definitely seems like the logical evolution of what we’ve already been doing with makeup and lighting, then airbrushing and photoshop. there are already examples of hilariously unrealistic representations of beauty. this just pushes a little farther.

it doesn't even push farther. it just automates what we already have

people have been touching up appearances with computers for at least a decade. but it took some actual human time and effort, so you had to either waste some time doing it or pay someone else to waste their time. that made it expensive to touch up large amounts of photos or video frames, which limited its use

what we're going to see soon is it becoming trivial to do, a one-button task that requires little to no human interaction and doesn't take very long. "remove my freckles and zits" and "take 10 pounds off my weight" will be as easy to use as instagram filters. they'll be available to everyone and essentially free to use, so they can be applied to every photo someone takes rather than the user having to pick and choose a limited number to enhance

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Prav posted:

Splicer posted:

We could probably simulate caring to a level indistinguishable from reality.

you monsters

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fortunately there are some Japanese game developers who have been perfecting that technology for years now

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Al! posted:

virtual tyra banks is going to be the virtual virtual abusive mommy for a gaggle of virtual teens on cyberspace's next top model

You’re a loving liar if you think America’s Next Top VR Model in with AI-powered virtual idols duke it out for the top spot wouldn’t be the best show on television.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

univbee posted:

You’re a loving liar if you think America’s Next Top VR Model in with AI-powered virtual idols duke it out for the top spot wouldn’t be the best show on television.

I just realized whoever owns the BattleBots IP is missing out on creating a video game where you create a robot and fight it against other robots in online arenas

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous

Various YouTube summer camps have begun launching across the nation, designed to turn regular elementary and middle-school-aged children into bonfire internet sensations.

Per a recent report from the Wall Street Journal, parents are spending nearly $1,000 dollars a week for their children to learn how to create branded social media-related content. Though YouTube is not affiliated with or in any communication with any summer program, such camps are on the rise, and parents with means have made them a thing.

One summer camp gaining traction is YouTube STAR Creator Studio. Located in Culver City, California, its website states that it “branches out from traditional storytelling to how to create the fun and hilarious content that kids love to watch.”

The camp is designed for those in first through sixth grade, according to the website, and charges $375 dollars a week.

https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/youtube-camps/

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Powered Descent posted:

Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous

Various YouTube summer camps have begun launching across the nation, designed to turn regular elementary and middle-school-aged children into bonfire internet sensations.

Per a recent report from the Wall Street Journal, parents are spending nearly $1,000 dollars a week for their children to learn how to create branded social media-related content. Though YouTube is not affiliated with or in any communication with any summer program, such camps are on the rise, and parents with means have made them a thing.

One summer camp gaining traction is YouTube STAR Creator Studio. Located in Culver City, California, its website states that it “branches out from traditional storytelling to how to create the fun and hilarious content that kids love to watch.”

The camp is designed for those in first through sixth grade, according to the website, and charges $375 dollars a week.

https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/youtube-camps/

in the Heavyweights remake these kids will be the athletic snobs that the fat camp underdogs defeat in the climactic baseball game fornite tournament

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I unironically can't wait for brands to replace real life influencers with their own stable of CGI lifestyle spokesmodels. The whole thing has always been bougie fucks playacting fake ~aspirational~ lifestyles, might as well kill the kayfabe and embrace the bullshit it is.

theres a whole sci fi book i used to have about this, all the hip hop and rock stars were completely digital, so the songs were usually just written by some committee and the performance generated by some graphics arts nerds. i don't really remember what the point of all of it was besides being cool but well. it was cool reading about some dude tripping on his neuromesh while loving in a club bathroom to CGI Chicano rap

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

EugeneJ posted:

I just realized whoever owns the BattleBots IP is missing out on creating a video game where you create a robot and fight it against other robots in online arenas

Man, I haven't played robocraft in a while. https://store.steampowered.com/app/301520/Robocraft/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

EugeneJ posted:

that sounds like a perfect zachtronics game

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

in the Heavyweights remake these kids will be the athletic snobs that the fat camp underdogs defeat in the climactic baseball game fornite tournament

Oh poo poo, how has this not been remade yet??

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Larry Parrish posted:

theres a whole sci fi book i used to have about this, all the hip hop and rock stars were completely digital, so the songs were usually just written by some committee and the performance generated by some graphics arts nerds. i don't really remember what the point of all of it was besides being cool but well. it was cool reading about some dude tripping on his neuromesh while loving in a club bathroom to CGI Chicano rap

I mean vocaloids and the splatoon idols have put on actual concerts using the Tupac hologram tech so we’re pretty much there already

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Al! posted:

that sounds like a perfect zachtronics game

ugh yeah probably

last time I played a zachtronics game I started out going 'well this isnt very fun' and two days later I'd learned assembly coding for a fictional computer

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does that help you learn actual coding

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Don't think so other than introducing the concepts and making you think critically like many puzzle games.

Does space chem teach you much chemistry? Yeah a little bit I guess. You could be playing much dumber games.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh TIS-100 probably does a little bit, like in terms of concepts and how very simple assembly code worked on CPUs from the 70s, though that game in particular models a fictional multi-core system that never existed. so its fictional, ultra-simple syntax, but the syntax is never the hardest part about learning coding imo

but idk I've been playin around with code since I was a small child so I didnt rly learn anything except that a very basic mystery story is enough for me to play a game for hours that feels like work half the time

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Does that help you learn actual coding

it teaches paradigms of design and aspects of optimization; they are very good engineering simulators for what it's worth and the histograms reinforce this. basically every zachtronics game follows the pattern of starting state - ???????????? - end state, and they give you all of the tools (and rope) and tell you to go nuts. usually you can brute force a solution, which is usually awful but gets the job done. there's the the intended solution, which hits the sweet spot of cleverness vs effort. and then there's the optimal solutions which either minimize cycles, parts required, space, etc.

it's the programming equivalent of this:

like mentioned earlier, the syntax is the easiest part of any programming language.

Phone has issued a correction as of 05:35 on May 31, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Phone posted:

it teaches paradigms of design and aspects of optimization; they are very good engineering simulators for what it's worth and the histograms reinforce this. basically every zachtronics game follows the pattern of starting state - ???????????? - end state, and they give you all of the tools (and rope) and tell you to go nuts. usually you can brute force a solution, which is usually awful but gets the job done. there's the the intended solution, which hits the sweet spot of cleverness vs effort. and then there's the optimal solutions which either minimize cycles, parts required, space, etc.

it's the programming equivalent of this:

like mentioned earlier, the syntax is the easiest part of any programming language.

I'm definitely the guy in the forklift most days hell Yeah.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

progress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
*rolls down window*

Hi, I'm here to pick up..... Attack Helicopter? Anyone here Attack Helicopter?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

*rolls down window*

Hi, I'm here to pick up..... Attack Helicopter? Anyone here Attack Helicopter?

at least one 'clever' gently caress will try this, i'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lyft..........thank u