Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
i hope spurs win, but that is the advanced statsman curse...... my favorites always lose!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Tottenham Hotspur F.C. Will Win The Champions League

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
'MON THE REDS

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I'm bad at waiting for things and have been melting down for 2 straight weeks

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I'm bad at waiting for things and have been melting down for 2 straight weeks

same op

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

never unclench

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Weaponized Cum posted:

This.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Weaponized Cum posted:

:pray:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Liverpool fan handiwork in Madrid:

:laugh:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Bundy posted:

Liverpool fan handiwork in Madrid:

:laugh:

Headline in the Sun: LIVERPOOL SUPPORTERS ANARCHIC IN MADRID, DEFACE STREET SIGNS.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I would like Tottenham Hotspur football club to win the Champions League.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Anybody listened to/watched a preview that gives Spurs any more of a chance than..."pressure gets to Liverpool" and "one off anything can happen"?

Liverpool deserve to be favorites, I just haven't found any of the matches between them over the last few season to be that one-sided.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

gtkor posted:

Anybody listened to/watched a preview that gives Spurs any more of a chance than..."pressure gets to Liverpool" and "one off anything can happen"?

Liverpool deserve to be favorites, I just haven't found any of the matches between them over the last few season to be that one-sided.

Spurs are really good on the counter and Liverpool are going to play super aggressive, Liverpool are a slim favourite. I dont think any outlet has been saying that its Liverpools game to lose though

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Betting odds are Tottenham 3:1 and Liverpool 1:1 so not super heavy but solid favorites. Matches in recent years have been relatively close even if the results have been one-sided.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Actually thought this one was ok in terms of going a little more in depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-EQlnWsZA0

I think it kind of hits on the central question from a Spurs perspective, that I am trying to find more of..."ways Poch might use different approaches to solve the obvious problems Spurs will have"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He predicts either a 3-2 Tottenham win if Poch can adapt or a 3-0 Liverpool win if he can't.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

He predicts either a 3-2 Tottenham win if Poch can adapt or a 3-0 Liverpool win if he can't.

Yeah, I disregard the actual final predictions (he's tied in to betting stuff in general for sponsorship) but I think the general dive into the different things Poch might do is worth reviewing.

Slight more efforty edit....

The problem I am having from a Spurs perspective is that against good teams (especially the English ones they play more often), Pochettino seems to have gone much more toward a system of man marking the key distributor. For Chelsea this has been Jorginho, for City Fernandinho or Gundogan more recently, when they are up against teams who they will expect will out possess them.

It is really hard to imagine this is the best option against Liverpool given the way they build their attacks wider that most teams that Spurs are better suited against. You could make the argument if you have to mark a midfielder its Fabinho, but again, I expect in doing that you lose some of the ability to create the midfield overloads that actually helped in the 2nd half at Anfield in the last 2 seasons.

In truth, I actually expected going back through the Liverpool goals that a lot more of them would be scored based on wide positions, when in fact, a lot of it is individual mistakes through the middle due to the press or the fear of the attacking 3. Poch has tried to mitigate this in the past by playing 3 at the back, but this just hasn't really worked due to the glaring deficiencies of Trippier.

Spurs need a platform to get the ball back to front and it is pretty difficult to see what the best way to do that is. You expect them to play in a 4 with Trippier and Rose, who likely will be pinned fairly far back. Kane is not going to be 100% fit, and it is unlikely Llorente can pin himself to Gomez like he did with Blind. Playing some kind of 4-1-4-1 with more responsible wide players is interesting in a counter attacking approach, but that doesn't suit Lucas imo.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 31, 2019

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I have heard some on football podcasts saying the break suits Spurs over Liverpool as Liverpool were in good momentum where as Spurs were the walking wounded.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I have heard some on football podcasts saying the break suits Spurs over Liverpool as Liverpool were in good momentum where as Spurs were the walking wounded.

Probably, though Liverpool will benefit from getting Firmino back and Robertson to full fitness.

I do wonder if Poch will do something a bit left field and play a center half at right back. Trippier vs Mane and Robertson is just a disaster waiting to happen, and he might be happy to accept that most of his attacks will come off the counter in exchange for solidity and height

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I wouldn’t mind seeing Vertonghan on the back wing like we saw against Dortmund game 1. Here’s hoping we get some decent fullbacks over the summer.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

The Kingfish posted:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Vertonghan on the back wing like we saw against Dortmund game 1. Here’s hoping we get some decent fullbacks over the summer.

lmao what

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

kcer posted:

lmao what

So it was due to injury, but Jan has played occasionally as the fullback in a back 4. I don't think it is overly likely, but there is a world where Poch could play Trippier, Sanchez, Toby, Jan, Rose...but Rose is basically a winger and Jan is playing as the Left Back.

Arguably this would allow for the Trippier side to have more protection as in theory Rose should be pushing TAA back with license to roam...but it would be a weird one.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
Wingback Jan was great but he's too good a CB to shuffle out wide when Rose/Davies are fit. Honestly I feel like Foyth would be a bit better at RB than Trippier. More solid defensively for sure. Unfortunately he's still young and prone to shockers. Poch will likely have faith in Trippier, despite him being easily identifiable as the weakest link in the back line. Idk if Aurier is fit yet but he's been out too long and this is too big a game for him to make a return in.

e: tbh it's nice to have enough fit players to speculate for once. Moura will probably end up a super sub in spite of his form because Kane/Dele/Son/Eriksen are basically nailed on

e2: couple outlets now saying Kane will start on the bench. 4-4-2 diamond then, with Lucas and Sonny up top

brasstassels fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 31, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
spurs got better when Kane was hurt

I think, anyway

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The main Spurs dilemma is... start Kane? I would and then bring in Lucas as he's fast AF and would be dangerous vs tired legs. Thoughts?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

gtkor posted:

So it was due to injury, but Jan has played occasionally as the fullback in a back 4. I don't think it is overly likely, but there is a world where Poch could play Trippier, Sanchez, Toby, Jan, Rose...but Rose is basically a winger and Jan is playing as the Left Back.

Arguably this would allow for the Trippier side to have more protection as in theory Rose should be pushing TAA back with license to roam...but it would be a weird one.

He played out of his mind against Dortmund too. Delivered that amazing cross to Son and then put a goal in himself off the one touch.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007

gtkor posted:

This was basically the formation in the second half of the game at Anfield, no? Seemed to work pretty well then

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

We could technically see a 4-1-2-3 with sissoko as cdm erickson/alli in the middle and son/kane/lucas up top. That probably puts the most talent possible on the field.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Weaponized Cum posted:

The main Spurs dilemma is... start Kane? I would and then bring in Lucas as he's fast AF and would be dangerous vs tired legs. Thoughts?

The Harry Kane Club TM, is going to start Harry Kane

I think it is probably the 442 with the diamond Winks plays as the base, Lucas is unlucky

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

We could technically see a 4-1-2-3 with sissoko as cdm erickson/alli in the middle and son/kane/lucas up top. That probably puts the most talent possible on the field.

god this is all so american

CDM
back wing

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

brasstassels posted:

This was basically the formation in the second half of the game at Anfield, no? Seemed to work pretty well then

Yeah, Eriksen was a little more to the right than I'd expect, but the adventures of Danny Rose was a big part of the 2nd half in that one.

Though I guess maybe it's not? Liverpool likely has their fullbacks up the pitch, so maybe you get him in better positions to put in passes near the flanks in that space?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
spurs need to figure out who their starting offensive tackle and point guard whilst be

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
smart money takes the over on Kane's field goals

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What does the rest of the anglosphere call a cdm?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
holding mid

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

The Kingfish posted:

What does the rest of the anglosphere call a cdm?

the triple pivot with an engache flourish

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
nm we're all just having weird anxiety meltdowns

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fat gay nonce posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

people who play fifa only commentating on the CL final

just need code tags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

free my man oliwan