Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How about Iron Maiden changes their name, huh? Why's Ion Maiden gotta be the one that changes? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

skasion posted:

Better yet, the official English name they ended up with was “Girlfriend of Steel”. Do the needful 3DR

holy poo poo it's perfect

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
It's weird that nobody mentioned the actual Iron Maiden game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlUdD5wgLI

I remember playing it for some reason, but to be fair, I was working a retail job with lots of downtime, and not a lot of games.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what's a good "make doom mods a bit prettier but not go crazy" mod? Beautiful doom, smooth doom, what are people using?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
brutal doom

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Civvie & Sigil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMHq6Zh0hlM

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

loving love Civvie, first thing is roasting Randy. :discourse:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

haveblue posted:

Ion Waifu

skasion posted:

Better yet, the official English name they ended up with was “Girlfriend of Steel”. Do the needful 3DR

ok now we're talkin'

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

get owned gggggggggggggggggggman lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which, my copy of the standard edition arrived! Here it is! Also, enjoy this artistic view of my grandparents' kitchen.

It all looks great, the printing on it is very nice.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 30, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Those came out looking so much better than I expected and now I'm really wishing I'd bought one.

What kind of stuff is on the false floppy? The Sigil site just says that it contains "extras".

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of which, my copy of the standard edition arrived! Here it is! Also, enjoy this artistic view of my grandparents' kitchen.

It all looks great, the printing on it is very nice.

drat, that ended up being really impressive. It really makes me miss the days of big box PC games.

And with no surprise Civvie gives a great review of the game, the Hurt Me Plenty vs Ultraviolence insight really makes sense when you know Romero's logic was that each episode of Doom should be harder then the previous. Can't wait to try it out when it drops.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The contents of the floppy drive USB (which is FIFTEEN GIGS MAX drat) are about 3GB and here they are:

The WAD folder contains the game and the Buckethead soundtrack compatibility wad and patch. The readme is also very extensive and SIGIL.txt is a classic (and properly formatted!) Doomworld info file.

The Soundtrack folder contains super high quality wav's of the Buckethead soundtrack. And I mean super high quality, it's like Buckethead is standing behind me and playing directly into my eardrums.

The Behind The Wad folder has a super awesome half-hour long behind the scenes video where John goes over some of the maps and the general design philosophy of the level set. It's reminiscent of that one livestream/video he did breaking down Tech Gone Bad back in the day!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 30, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dang that actually sounds pretty legit

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Blood E2M5, also known as "a welcome but temporary reprieve from hitscanners."

That's one design decision I'm glad most of this current batch of throwback FPS games and Doom gameplay mods have adopted: making even their gunner type enemies use projectiles

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I was thinking that the floppy was going to be just the WAD and people were going to have to go find DVD readers to get the soundtrack. Looks like they did it perfectly.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Civvie's review actually got me the most hyped I've seen about the game. I'm a little tired of UV being the highest difficulty but also intended experience of most Doom map sets.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

If you stretch the definition of "band", The Residents have done a few game-like projects.

Kinda surprised there has never been a GWAR game.

The entire goal of the Beavis and Butthead game was to get into a GWAR concert, for what it’s worth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Meat Beat Agent posted:

My understanding of trademark law is that the "use it or lose it" defense requirement only applies to trademarks that are at risk of becoming genericized (e.g. "dumpster", "band-aid", "kleenex"). Nobody in history has used "Iron Maiden" as a generic name to describe all metal bands.

This is just some legal department trying to make themselves look useful as usual.

Its very important to make distinctions between trademark and copyright

Also you've got it backwards, if the term WAS generic, then 3drealms could use it. If it ISN'T (what you said) then that means that it isn't legal to use the term.

But all of this is irrelevant to legal shenanigans.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I was thinking that the floppy was going to be just the WAD and people were going to have to go find DVD readers to get the soundtrack. Looks like they did it perfectly.

The soundtrack is too long to fit on a regular audio CD, so it's an MP3 CD.

The lossless soundtrack is too big to fit on a CD-ROM so it's on the USB stick.

The "making off" video was uploaded to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnB_feVTbs

I'm pretty sure it's that video; I don't see what else it could be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, that's the video, I guess it's just so you can have a local copy of your own.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Jim DiGriz posted:

It's weird that nobody mentioned the actual Iron Maiden game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlUdD5wgLI

I remember playing it for some reason, but to be fair, I was working a retail job with lots of downtime, and not a lot of games.

I never knew this existed. The only rock band video
games I remember are the previously mentioned Aerosmith game and Kiss Psycho Circus, which I kind of liked, despite it being incredibly flawed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cat Mattress posted:

The "making off" video was uploaded to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnB_feVTbs

This is pretty rad.

I'm not sure I follow one of his points though... he's talking about a single player map and a multiplayer map and how you can have both as the same map...

And I'm like "well, okay, you can, but don't you have to make tradeoffs? So the whole point is its better to have a focus on one, or the other?"

And then he goes "so you can have a whole other part of the map designed for multiplayer, and part of the map designed for single player, and they're totally separate"

Uhhh cool but isn't that 2 maps at that point? :psyduck: All you're doing is combining levels for the purpose of... compressing the WAD? I don't get it.

The other person says "you've doubled your load!" but... you could just make a bigger WAD, right? Modern engines don't have level limits do they? And even if they did... you could release two WADs? I just don't really see what the point is here.

Also, they filmed it with texture filtering on :ohdear:

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The Sigil soundtrack by Buckethead is on Spotify and it's extremely 90s DOS gaming. I love it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zaphod42 posted:

Remember when Bethesda sued Notch because Scrolls was kinda like Elder scrolls?

Nobody, not nobody I've talked to even calls them elder scrolls games. They just call them "Skyrim" or "Oblivion"

That one was still dumb but they were putting out an Elder Scrolls card game at the time, so there was at least some kind of meaningful similarity at play there and not just name = name.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They also have in common that both flopped

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zaphod42 posted:

This is pretty rad.

I'm not sure I follow one of his points though... he's talking about a single player map and a multiplayer map and how you can have both as the same map...

And I'm like "well, okay, you can, but don't you have to make tradeoffs? So the whole point is its better to have a focus on one, or the other?"

And then he goes "so you can have a whole other part of the map designed for multiplayer, and part of the map designed for single player, and they're totally separate"

Uhhh cool but isn't that 2 maps at that point? :psyduck: All you're doing is combining levels for the purpose of... compressing the WAD? I don't get it.

The other person says "you've doubled your load!" but... you could just make a bigger WAD, right? Modern engines don't have level limits do they? And even if they did... you could release two WADs? I just don't really see what the point is here.

Also, they filmed it with texture filtering on :ohdear:
It’s a known trick for vanilla-compatible map packs where you’re locked into a set number of levels. As far as I know Sigil is strictly vanilla, and since Romero is presenting it as the fifth episode of Doom it fits.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey, can any of you Blood fans tell me what the best use case is for the spraycan? Having played through all the vanilla Blood maps, and now working on Death Wish, I feel like it's just the lamest weapon by a good stretch. It's not good against cultists (except maybe the altfire into a crowd of them, at which point the TNT would have been equally useful, and probably more efficient) and against most of the monsters I feel like the flare gun would have killed them just as quickly but at a safer distance. I just don't use it very often unless I'm being really conservative with ammo for better weapons.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I feel like the alt-fire on the spraycan is much larger than a TNT explosion, but I don't know if that's true. I actually mostly use the alt-fire as well. It can be useful in place of pitchforking zombies, I suppose? I think that's generally how I see it used i videos.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think fire in general does extra damage against the Bill Dauterives but also two flares will light them up just as well.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That said, I'm pretty okay with having one slightly underpowered weapon in a game full of weapons that all feel extremely fun to use.

edit: also continuing to play Death Wish and holy poo poo is it good like god drat. Every time I'm like "oh that was a really cool setpiece this is really rad" I get a little bit further and "oh no THIS is a really cool setpiece".

Glagha fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 31, 2019

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's decent against hands/rats/red spiders but It's top tier for taking down bloated butchers. Generally, it's just fun to set people on fire.

vvv Great user name/post combo

treat fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 31, 2019

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

catlord posted:

I feel like the alt-fire on the spraycan is much larger than a TNT explosion, but I don't know if that's true. I actually mostly use the alt-fire as well. It can be useful in place of pitchforking zombies, I suppose? I think that's generally how I see it used i videos.

Now this is from old Blood like win98 im playing Blood times but

I feel as if the spray can has like 125% the range of tnt. Peek a corner? Is there a ton of anything close together minus hellhounds toss a spray can why not that poo poo EXPLODES

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Yeah I basically use spray cans as Butcher-B-Gone and as a substitute for TNT when a horde of zombies is coming after me and I'm fine with waiting for the fire timer to tick down. It's basically suicide to use it on cultists since it doesn't put them into a pain state, and against the other enemies it's just underwhelming.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The free version of Sigil is up and I also just got an email saying that there's a bugfixed 1.1 version.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Civvie is cool and all, but his aim when playing is straight up atrocious

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

iron maiden know that iron maidens are a thing that predate them right? they dont own the concept

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

szary posted:

Civvie is cool and all, but his aim when playing is straight up atrocious

Now you know why he chose HMP .
Note: I will do the same.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 31, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished Golden Souls 2, and I have to say that, as much it's an incredible TC Doom mod, it has the problem of overstaying its welcome. It should have been 5 or 6 levels shorter. It goes to great lengths to have different gimmicks and makes you visit lots of cool and unique places, but even then the game is so drat long (50 levels!) that you have seen all that it has to offer in enemy encounter design, level design, enemies and weapons, etc just before reaching the last world, Hell. In fact Hell was a bit meh, it's very much the type of levels you have played before but with the 'Hell' (or 'flesh' in one level) skin for the textures, and more enemies than normal. And well, for playing action oriented levels, there are better wads than GS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I didn’t really use the spray-can in Blood until the latter episodes where they have sections with lots of zombies. You can’t flare-gun them all without constant backpaddling, because they’ll be blocking each other. At those points the maps will have conveniently placed spray-can pick-ups to really drive the point home “hey, you should use this weapon”.

Edit: Catacombs (E3M8) in particular is a love-letter to the spray-can.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 31, 2019