Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Grouchio posted:

WAIT THERE'S A DUNE FILM THIS YEAR!?!? :psyboom:

Well, next year, but yeah.

Duuuuuuuune!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Here's an interesting article from 1990 about the problems with the use of Soviet robots at Chernobyl

quote:

Perhaps the most successful robot - the Mobot - was a small, wheeled machine equipped with a bulldozer-like blade and a "manipulator arm." But the only Mobot prototype was destroyed when it was accidentally dropped 200 meters by a helicopter carrying it to the roof.

Oops.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 31, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KkeyBgdykE

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bakanogami posted:

The thing that always weirds me out isn't that the other reactors at the complex stayed active for so long, it's that the last one operational was reactor 3. Like, from photos of the site it looks like it's in the same loving building as the destroyed reactor 4. I'd have figured it would have had enough problems and damage from the disaster to be taken offline immediately, much less hang in there for 14 years.

They were shut down, but during the liquidation effort, pressure came to restart the reactors since the electricity they produced was still needed by the neighbouring cities. They had the hardest time cleaning up reactor 3 (especially because of the shared everything, including vents) and had to do it on an absurdly tight schedule, but eventually they did it (although imperfectly).

From midnight in Chernobyl:

quote:

On December 4, 1987, after more than eighteen months of decontamination, repairs, and modifications, the last of the three surviving reactors of the Chernobyl Atomic Energy Station once again began providing electricity to the Soviet grid. Unit Three, although now separated from its entombed twin by a wall of concrete and lead, remained so radioactive that reluctant engineers were rotated in from other reactors—to prevent them being overexposed during the course of their shifts. Despite the sacrifices of General Tarakanov and his bio-robots, uranium fuel pellets were still scattered on the roof of the building, and the turbine operators who worked in the machine hall below did so from protective concrete cabins fitted with portholes of lead glass.

The three Chernobyl reactors—along with the twelve other RBMK-1000 units operating elsewhere in the USSR—had all been subjected to the extensive technical refit proposed in the secret Politburo resolution the previous July. In what amounted to a tacit admission of the designers’ culpability in the accident, each RBMK was now fueled with more highly enriched uranium; modified with scores of extra control rods, which reduced the positive void coefficient; and featured a faster and more effective emergency shutdown system. The authorities revised instruction programs for reactor operators and made money available to build computer simulators to prepare them for accident scenarios.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grouchio posted:

WAIT THERE'S A DUNE FILM THIS YEAR!?!? :psyboom:

By Denis Villeneuve to boot :hellyeah:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MononcQc posted:

They were shut down, but during the liquidation effort, pressure came to restart the reactors since the electricity they produced was still needed by the neighbouring cities. They had the hardest time cleaning up reactor 3 (especially because of the shared everything, including vents) and had to do it on an absurdly tight schedule, but eventually they did it (although imperfectly).

From midnight in Chernobyl:

Yeah both the Soviet Union and Ukraine had electricity capacity issues.

So reactors 1 - 3 ended up being used all the way to 2000.

Many reactors are also still in operation in Russia since I imagine the cost of replacing them would be too high and time intensive

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait it took them two years after the accident to figure out they SHOULDN'T build two more reactors at Chernobyl?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Wait it took them two years after the accident to figure out they SHOULDN'T build two more reactors at Chernobyl?

Chernobyl originally was planned to have even more reactors as part of the model "atom city" economic plan but naturally the accident sort of dampened this plan.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Jerusalem posted:

Their construction was well under way at the time of the accident and I would imagine that they were really really reluctant to let them sit there and rot afterwards. There are loads of urban exploration videos of them on youtube if you are interested in seeing it for yourself.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1134439738834870273?s=19

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FiftySeven posted:

Their construction was well under way at the time of the accident and I would imagine that they were really really reluctant to let them sit there and rot afterwards. There are loads of urban exploration videos of them on youtube if you are interested in seeing it for yourself.

Midnight in Chernobyl also explains how the Soviet saw big spending projects in pop-up "Atom" cities as a way to revitalize the soviet economy and also address how the USSR had grid capacity issue. It's also why Pripyat had much higher quality amenities compared to other Soviet cities with things like the Center of Culture.

The disaster put a halt to the atom city idea and also Gorbachev estimated the total clean-up/remediation costs was at least 18 billion dollars.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Btw that Veteran soldier from the dog ep is the face motion and voice of one of the two main characters from A Way Out, a unique coop game where you and a friend escape a prison (made by his brother actually). He's really good in it, was weird seeing him in real life and giving me a weird deja vu.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

There should be a spin-off series with the Chad Georgian and the liquidators.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

etalian posted:

There should be a spin-off series with the Chad Georgian and the liquidators.

About them going around the country rescuing puppies

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I'm not sure I fully understand why those pets had to be killed. I understand they're irradiated but.. so are the people? So are all wild animals that survived in the zone. Were they afraid the pets would move on to different areas and spread more radiation?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yes, and they're also killing the wild animals

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dalael posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand why those pets had to be killed. I understand they're irradiated but.. so are the people? So are all wild animals that survived in the zone. Were they afraid the pets would move on to different areas and spread more radiation?

Yeah, they will spread out from the area, get covered in radioactive dust, and bring it other areas. That and starve to death slowly and painfully as radiation gives them cancer.

Maybe it was not 100% necessary, but remember that at the time the scope was still unknown so anything that reduced spread of radiation was deemed worth it since at the start, the goal was to move people back into pripyat. You did not want the radioactive body of a dog that starved to death in some house that then irradiates the kids when they move back in.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Dalael posted:

preventing the spread of radiation is the most common reason I've seen.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

etalian posted:

Yeah both the Soviet Union and Ukraine had electricity capacity issues.

So reactors 1 - 3 ended up being used all the way to 2000.

Many reactors are also still in operation in Russia since I imagine the cost of replacing them would be too high and time intensive

One of the construction plans were canceled in TWO-THOUSAND AND loving TWELVE! What lunatic at Rosatom thought that was a good idea?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Pet dogs would be loving useless in the wild and just suffer a lovely death via starvation long before radiation killed them. There were going them a favour, regardless of their potential to spread radiation.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/dbongino/status/1134258211584925696

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, they will spread out from the area, get covered in radioactive dust, and bring it other areas. That and starve to death slowly and painfully as radiation gives them cancer.

Maybe it was not 100% necessary, but remember that at the time the scope was still unknown so anything that reduced spread of radiation was deemed worth it since at the start, the goal was to move people back into pripyat. You did not want the radioactive body of a dog that starved to death in some house that then irradiates the kids when they move back in.

I guess that makes a lot of sense, but it was still so hard to watch. Those puppies man :(

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

RagnarokZ posted:

One of the construction plans were canceled in TWO-THOUSAND AND loving TWELVE! What lunatic at Rosatom thought that was a good idea?

Just looked it up.

Construction was mostly done, but stalled in 1989 for Chernobyl reasons, plus probably general economics at the time I'd imagine.

Apparently there were plans to finish it off, since it was near done, but construction never resumed, and then it was formally cancelled in 2012 after Fukushima.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
You know what would help keep a disaster from happening? Deregulation, that's right!

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Dalael posted:

Spicy Rocks
Spicy Cats
Spicy Dogs
Spicy Deer

If one of my cats ended up Spicy, I would for sure die from my attempts to comfort him while he "slowly" dissolved.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
A lot of animals ended up living and even thriving in the Exclusion Zone(see the stray dogs that are now being cleared for adoption after a few generations of living there), but yeah as previously mentioned they weren't sure and were being cautious as they also didn't want them to spread the radiation. It's not like there was any research to go off of here.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

Pet dogs would be loving useless in the wild and just suffer a lovely death via starvation long before radiation killed them. There were going them a favour, regardless of their potential to spread radiation.

Yeah I remember reading the book The World Without Us and i had a section on pets.

Most dog breeds even the larger ones would have a hard time adapting to life without humans.

If you had dumb toy breeds like a Shih Tzu or Pekingese they would die off even faster from things like local predators.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, and they're also killing the wild animals

What was the solution for rats, insects, and birds?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

etalian posted:

Yeah I remember reading the book The World Without Us and i had a section on pets.

Most dog breeds even the larger ones would have a hard time adapting to life without humans.

If you had dumb toy breeds like a Shih Tzu or Pekingese they would die off even faster from things like local predators.

I personally don't buy that premise. There are plenty of animals that were abandoned and still thrived. Their instincts have been dulled by thousands of years of domestication but they are not gone. Dogs would manage I'm sure of it. Well, maybe not those Shih Tzu. When it comes to cats, I have no fear at all. They will survive and they will do so easily.

I don't remember where I read or saw this, but someone made a strong argument that the only species that is truly hosed up if humans are gone, are head lice.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:vince:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dalael posted:

I personally don't buy that premise. There are plenty of animals that were abandoned and still thrived. Their instincts have been dulled by thousands of years of domestication but they are not gone. Dogs would manage I'm sure of it. Well, maybe not those Shih Tzu. When it comes to cats, I have no fear at all. They will survive and they will do so easily.
A lot of dog breeds would go extinct because we bred them to have stupid defects though.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Alhazred posted:

A lot of dog breeds would go extinct because we bred them to have stupid defects though.

True. Pugs would probably disappear within a few years. A bunch of others too.

Guys, we can't let humanity go extinct, think of all the dogs that need us :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Dalael posted:

There are too many of them. There isn't enough food for them all. The current population is only viable because humans are producing pet food and giving it to them. It's like pigs or cows or most other domesticated animals, obviously an individual cow or a small herd of cows could survive in the wild, but if you turned loose every cow in a megafarm, they would be hosed.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Alhazred posted:

All breeds would go extinct in one, maybe two generations. All mutts all the time without us breeding them...

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thranguy posted:

What was the solution for rats, insects, and birds?

just let them die, i guess

this is why they're out shooting dogs and not cats, though i bet they'd shoot a cat if they could. dogs are generally too socialized to do well in the wild. cats could give a gently caress and good luck trying to find a cat if it doesn't want to be found

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

There are too many of them. There isn't enough food for them all. The current population is only viable because humans are producing pet food and giving it to them. It's like pigs or cows or most other domesticated animals, obviously an individual cow or a small herd of cows could survive in the wild, but if you turned loose every cow in a megafarm, they would be hosed.

Rats also got so widespread because of humanity, if we go extinct there would probably also be a lot less rats around.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

Well, that's an MKER which is a development of the RBMK with safety upgrades such as yknow, a containment building.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

luxury handset posted:

just let them die, i guess

this is why they're out shooting dogs and not cats, though i bet they'd shoot a cat if they could. dogs are generally too socialized to do well in the wild. cats could give a gently caress and good luck trying to find a cat if it doesn't want to be found

They were shooting the cats, they just didn't show it...there were quite a few in the truck, however. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Personally, I don't not find the film to be anti-russian or even anti-communist. It's more of just a story about humanity becoming irresponsible gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Personally, I don't not find the film to be anti-russian or even anti-communist. It's more of just a story about humanity becoming irresponsible gods.

Yeah are people really dumb to inject their own political views into the show.

Things like Deepwater Horizon or Three Mile demonstrate how many of the root causes which led to the accident are universal.