Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lets never forget the allies also commited war crimes during the war. A lot of them. In all theaters of war.

They may not have been as widespread and targetted horrific, but they happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

Lets never forget the allies also commited war crimes during the war. A lot of them. In all theaters of war.

They may not have been as widespread and targetted horrific, but they happened.

The entire last page is examples of Allied war crimes, what is the point of this post?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That some people don't see the A Bomb or the firebombing as warcrimes, despite that they are.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

The Lone Badger posted:

That's not quite true. War used to involve massive amounts of dying from dysentery.
It's worse in many other ways, but in a few small ways it's now better.

Dysentery's still a thing. My step-brother got dysentery in Iraq like 10 years ago and nearly died.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

That some people don't see the A Bomb or the firebombing as warcrimes, despite that they are.

Than say that. Your last post sounded like something a wehraboo would say to minimize the axis warcrimes.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I remember someone linking an article about the conditions soldiers had to deal with during nightmares like the Battle of the Somme. Distinctly remember a :nms: image of a man who drowned upright in a muddy ditch, the water stopping just before his eyes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

empty sea posted:

Dysentery's still a thing. My step-brother got dysentery in Iraq like 10 years ago and nearly died.

But did the majority of his company die?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyrotoad posted:

I remember someone linking an article about the conditions soldiers had to deal with during nightmares like the Battle of the Somme. Distinctly remember a :nms: image of a man who drowned upright in a muddy ditch, the water stopping just before his eyes.

There was a story from I think? Passchendaele, or possibly the same story as yours from the Somme, where a company goes to the front and they pass a man who's sunk into the mud to almost his waist, and is far off the wooden tracks so no one could really go get him.

When they rotated off the front three days later, he was still there, alive, sunk to over his chest, and had gone stark raving mad.

I think about that one a lot. Possibly the most out of the stories I've heard about WW1. I forget if someone finally just shot him as a mercy killing after that or not, but I hope they did. I know I'd want to get shot instead of going through that. And I would do it to someone else.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Christ.

The spectrum of suffering from mass terror to individual hell these last couple pages is very much doing my head in.

If this were fiction I'd be done with this thread for my mental health. But it's real, so I feel like I'd be looking away from something I need to acknowledge.

In short,

Christ.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Gaius Marius posted:

Than say that. Your last post sounded like something a wehraboo would say to minimize the axis warcrimes.

No it didn't? Don't be weird.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Brawnfire posted:

Christ.

The spectrum of suffering from mass terror to individual hell these last couple pages is very much doing my head in.

If this were fiction I'd be done with this thread for my mental health. But it's real, so I feel like I'd be looking away from something I need to acknowledge.

In short,

Christ.

While this is not the thread for it, plenty of good and hopeful things have happened and are happening, and you can go acknowledge some of them if you need to.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ArcMage posted:

While this is not the thread for it, plenty of good and hopeful things have happened and are happening, and you can go acknowledge some of them if you need to.

I try to. I try to balance it with good food, fun tech, silly stories, cute cats, and dumb memes.

This thread is basically the place where I flip the rock and look at the rot-eating side of humanity.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Brawnfire posted:

I try to. I try to balance it with good food, fun tech, silly stories, cute cats, and dumb memes.

This thread is basically the place where I flip the rock and look at the rot-eating side of humanity.

This thread is great for putting everything in perspective and making even an ordinary day the best one ever because it's not being trapped in a trench in WWI and being left to die. I appreciate it.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Azathoth posted:

One thing that really scares me about the future is that we're not far from losing living memory of what the atomic bomb really does.
Same but with the Holocaust. The remaining survivors are all very, very old.

Gaius Marius posted:

No, it didn't. "Even the good guys do horrifying things in war" is both accurate & relevant, and not an excuse for the even worse things the bad guys did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I learned about World War 1 by reading Charley's War in the British War comic Battle. It is very much worth reading and I recommend it to anyone with an interest but who doesn't want to go through a weighty tome of facts.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

To take a pause from the awfulness humanity's capable of, I present some unnerving that's outside anyone's control. One of the most horrifying things for a parent or soon-to-be parent is the barrage of information on everything that can potentially go wrong with pregnancy. We're warned about unsafe behaviors like drug use or drinking during pregnancy, warned about the risks of birth defects if you're pregnant over a certain age, and warned about increased risk of inherited genetic ailments. We're able to test for a wide variety of conditions during pregnancy. But despite scientific advances in both detection and treatment, and taking all advised precautions, it's still possible for something to happen.

Brooke Greenberg seemed normal at first. She was born c-section and did have to have some hip dislocation surgery. Neither anything to be particularly alarmed about. However, she developed several unexplainable medical illnesses (ulcers, seizure, a stroke) during the first six years of her life and stopped growing. At 8 yrs old she was the size of a 6 mo old. Her parents tried everything, including growth hormone therapy to no effect. Her condition would initially be called Syndrome X, but later named Neotenic Complex Syndrome. Brooke would eventually pass away at 20 yrs old, still the size of a toddler.

Geneticists have been able to identify some of the genes responsible, but some of the mutations are still beyond our current scientific understanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke_Greenberg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neotenic_complex_syndrome
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-body-died.html
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/maryland-20-year-dies-aged/story?id=20712718

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Random thought:

Two or so years ago a goon posted about the body of a dead homeless man found behind a Walmart in Albuquerque, it was found with (I think) the penis cut off and rightfully freaked everyone out.

Was there any update on that?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

Random thought:

Two or so years ago a goon posted about the body of a dead homeless man found behind a Walmart in Albuquerque, it was found with (I think) the penis cut off and rightfully freaked everyone out.

I remember that too. Except the goon in question was speculating it was a serial killer since there had been a string of similar homeless murders in that rough geographic area.

For some reason, I want to say there was some mutilation involved? But I likely watch too many movies.

All that said, I don't recall anything since the Walmart report.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nckdictator posted:

Random thought:

This is the most recent article I can find.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Nckdictator posted:

Random thought:

No update, but for those who haven't read it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631148&userid=112779#post458899805

EDIT:
The post about the Wal-Mart:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631148&userid=112779&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post467903287

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 20:23 on May 29, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I miss Droogie's creepy New Mexico posts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pookel posted:

No, it didn't.

It absolutely is and if you think otherwise you're naive.

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 03:59 on May 30, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Milo and POTUS posted:

It absolutely is and if you think otherwise you're naive.

This is some dumbass Cold War era thinking. Acknowledging that the US did terrible things in the course of the war is not even remotely excusing what the Nazis did and anyone with two brain cells can easily make that distinction

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was nothing wrong about that second sentence he said and I shouldn't have quoted it, I apologize. That said, Internet nazis absolutely use whataboutism about allied bombings (both legal and less so) to minimize the extent of actual Axis warcrimes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh yeah? Well I apologize for insulting your intelligence and calling you a Cold War dumbass.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Droogie's writing was masterful.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Well I'm sorry we all had to read that!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

A common reaction to your posts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can we rule out the possibility that Droogie knew so much about some of this stuff because he was responsible for it? :ohdear:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jedit posted:

I learned about World War 1 by reading Charley's War in the British War comic Battle. It is very much worth reading and I recommend it to anyone with an interest but who doesn't want to go through a weighty tome of facts.

Charley’s war is excellent and I’d recommend not reading it unless you’re having a very good day, because that’ll just about balance out how depressing it is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hexyflexy posted:

Charley’s war is excellent and I’d recommend not reading it unless you’re having a very good day, because that’ll just about balance out how depressing it is.

Well, a lot of it is funny - the scene with the "Christmas pudding" shell, for example. But you don't want to read "What's in the bag, soldier?" when you're feeling down. The only thing better than Mills's script in that scene is Joe Colquhoun's art.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

M_Sinistrari posted:

To take a pause from the awfulness humanity's capable of, I present some unnerving that's outside anyone's control. One of the most horrifying things for a parent or soon-to-be parent is the barrage of information on everything that can potentially go wrong with pregnancy. We're warned about unsafe behaviors like drug use or drinking during pregnancy, warned about the risks of birth defects if you're pregnant over a certain age, and warned about increased risk of inherited genetic ailments. We're able to test for a wide variety of conditions during pregnancy. But despite scientific advances in both detection and treatment, and taking all advised precautions, it's still possible for something to happen.

Brooke Greenberg seemed normal at first. She was born c-section and did have to have some hip dislocation surgery. Neither anything to be particularly alarmed about. However, she developed several unexplainable medical illnesses (ulcers, seizure, a stroke) during the first six years of her life and stopped growing. At 8 yrs old she was the size of a 6 mo old. Her parents tried everything, including growth hormone therapy to no effect. Her condition would initially be called Syndrome X, but later named Neotenic Complex Syndrome. Brooke would eventually pass away at 20 yrs old, still the size of a toddler.

Geneticists have been able to identify some of the genes responsible, but some of the mutations are still beyond our current scientific understanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke_Greenberg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neotenic_complex_syndrome
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-body-died.html
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/maryland-20-year-dies-aged/story?id=20712718

Oh god I can confirm as a soon-to-be-parent that poo poo like this keeps me up at loving night. Christ.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Hexyflexy posted:

Gotta find this now because it goes against everything I’ve ever read in Battle

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

[quote="nutty putty" post=""""]
In the pit, eight people worked as one.
[/quote]
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/07/09/nutty-putty-i-really/

tw: claustrophobia

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

Can we rule out the possibility that Droogie knew so much about some of this stuff because he was responsible for it? :ohdear:

This thread will be served as evidence in the forthcoming trial.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Cheery little article about the unsolved death of a girl I was friends with back in the pre-Internet online BBS days:

http://www.hauntedrockford.com/darkness/

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Jedit posted:

Have you ever seen Droogie and a serial killer in the same room together? Lock 'em up!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Droogie's Death House

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mite put it on the slab