Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LonsomeSon posted:

KVPM basically requires something like Angel's Infinite Ores

KVPM?

My old factory was fairly standard map. Right at the end I found my very first patch of over 100m quantity, but I never actually got out to it. The map outside of my artillery range is basically a sea of red, so extending out to new resource patches was somewhat time consuming, but not really a challenge. From my main bus area to the west wall ( where the rich resources were) was taking several minutes on a nuclear powered train.

My new map has massive resource patches over 100m visible with my very first radar (radar range in this mod is huge, but each radar takes many more resources to build and draws 2.5MW of power).

I also tuned the biters way down. I still want to need to develop the military side, but don't really want to deal with continuous waves of bugs on all sides like my big base was.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

I've never seen it before either but my best guess is "1K (1000) Vials Per Minute".

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Locator posted:

I got that base stable at 970spm (1 silo) but it seems like I am doing nothing but replacing shrinking resource patches with fresh ones, but the time it takes to get the outpost set up and rails laid just means another patch of something is drying up so I have to do another one.
Try and expand only in a single direction from the starting location. This makes the rail network a bit simpler, and resource patches scale up faster.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

Try and expand only in a single direction from the starting location. This makes the rail network a bit simpler, and resource patches scale up faster.

My expansion (after the early game) was all towards the west, hence the very long train ride to get to the edge of my base in that direction. I did not know that early on, but found out about it before I had expanded very much in any other direction. The map just wasn't generated to be very resource rich, so it took a lot of distance to start hitting really good resource nodes.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

LonsomeSon posted:

KVPM basically requires something like Angel's Infinite Ores; the cycle of breaking down old outposts and building new ones further out remains but the core of every patch outside the Starting Zone is undepleteable ore tiles.

My plan was always to use identically-named train stations that only switch on when they have a train load of ore on hand, as described by a lot of folks in this thread. 2-3 old stations per train and an idling area with a siding for each train; throughput numbers require that the receiving stations never be occupied for longer than the minimum amount of time to unload and pull away.

It has been pretty awesome reading about folks actually reaching for what I basically did the math and groundwork for and then noped out of, thanks for y'all's stories ~~

Logistic Train Networks, Loaders, and Bulk Rail Loaders replace the tedium of building and configuring inserter based stations. Once you learn the system and configure your first station, it's easy to tweak the next one. LTN depots are easy to distribute across the map or scale up for busy areas. I like implementing systems with many 1-1 trains fly around at max speed hauling smaller loads to stations in need, but you can scale it for any size train.

I usually wait until I get a rocket fuel factory going then start the building the network with a delivery point for fuel at each depot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So the Krastorio mod is kind of fun and interesting, but some of the ratios are making me shake my head.

Science seems to be normalized so that 4 assemblers will be able to product 1 science per second (5 packs every 5 seconds base rate per recipe) if any assemblers actually used a 1.0 crafting speed. Kind of cool so I don't have some strange ratio of science pack assemblers I need to pay attention to.

Then I got to blue packs, and the supporting items to keep 4 science pack assemblers working mathed out to... 10.666 assemblers of 1 of the items... wtf kind of ratio is that? lol...

Blue science is a pretty big hurdle in the mod also, as it's the first thing that needs advanced circuits (red) and with the mod recipes that also means it's the first thing that requires oil and also the first thing that requires silicon wafers and microprocessors, so you need to set up a lot of new things to get blue packs rolling in.

Now I'm starting to look at things that will need gold processing, and discovering that I'll need to learn a lot of new things including getting things from water via filtration and separation just in order to create chlorine as it's required for mining the gold.

I'm not even going to try to push past blue science for now though, it's time to start building trains and setting up some real resource collection to supply all of this stuff. Also need to figure out the advanced methods of ore processing using concentrated ores which ultimately allow you to get 8 plates from 10 ore, vs. the base 1 plate from 3 ore, so that's a pretty significant gain, but it turns ore gathering/smelting into a multi-step process that involves sulphuric acid in the concentrating step.

My factory is going to be horrible spaghetti too, since none of the normal blueprints can be used, so I'm just winging everything, and lots of new materials seem to need to go on the bus compared to a vanilla game.

There are also secondary products produced in some of the assembler recipes, like when you make quartz (I think, might have it wrong from memory) you produce it from sand, but that produces 3 of the quartz, and 1 stone. Since it all gets output to the same belt, you have to filter the output and get rid of it somehow or your assemblers jam up just like oil production. Luckily, there is also a recipe for turning 2 stone into sand, so you filter out the stone, send it to assemblers that turn it into sand, and then feed it right back into the input side of the quartz line.

I'm very glad I toned the biters way down, as I'm pretty slow at setting up stuff as I am learning, and the map I generated doesn't have many good choke-points, so I'd have to be investing a huge amount of resources into defense if I was using default settings for evolution and expansion.

KirbyKhan posted:

... Are you Tuplex?

I didn't realize it when I responded to you on the previous page, but it was a Tuplex video that brought this mod to my attention and made me decide to try it on my new game.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The Locator posted:

I didn't realize it when I responded to you on the previous page, but it was a Tuplex video that brought this mod to my attention and made me decide to try it on my new game.

Are you sure? Do you frequently drive your car into trees?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Locator posted:

There are also secondary products produced in some of the assembler recipes, like when you make quartz (I think, might have it wrong from memory) you produce it from sand, but that produces 3 of the quartz, and 1 stone. Since it all gets output to the same belt, you have to filter the output and get rid of it somehow or your assemblers jam up just like oil production. Luckily, there is also a recipe for turning 2 stone into sand, so you filter out the stone, send it to assemblers that turn it into sand, and then feed it right back into the input side of the quartz line.

This is weirdly one of my favorite parts of the Bobs/Angels/etc pack supply chain modifications. While the totally linear supply chains of base factorio and satisfactory are fun I live for feedback loops.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dietrich posted:

Are you sure? Do you frequently drive your car into trees?

I'm sorry that I don't memorize Youtubers names?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Locator posted:

I'm sorry that I don't memorize Youtubers names?

I do and that poster is confusing Tuplex with Nilaus.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

I do and that poster is confusing Tuplex with Nilaus.

Tuplex drives a car into a tree every time he drives a car, my dude.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
What the gently caress is going on.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I drive my car into trees, rocks, power poles, and anything else that happens to be in my area. I am however, neither Nilaus or Tuplex! :v:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah just fuckin' lol if you haven't built N-S and E-W raceways into your factory for vehicle traversal and then wound up having to wall them off after wiping out half a dozen inserters in one swerve.

e: also yeah "KVPM" is slang a friend and I came up with for launching a rocket per minute and being able to burn off all the white science before the next launch.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Everywhere I've seen on the internet uses SPM for "Science per Minute", e.g. "1K SPM"

also e.g. "I've never been able to build a base that could sustain more than 120 SPM" :(

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The trick to high SPM is to very early on, have multiple rocket silos. Due to arming and launch timers that can't be sped up, a silo caps around 900-980 SPM. If you design your factory around, say, 4 silos, they'll never be the bottleneck and I've found that this allows one to do less "my factory can sustain 900 SPM for 3 minutes" and more "I need to grow these various inputs" which gets you to your goal faster. (Since you'll tend to 'sustain' 900 SPM for 30 seconds at a time which nobody would consider to 'count')

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah just fuckin' lol if you haven't built N-S and E-W raceways into your factory for vehicle traversal and then wound up having to wall them off after wiping out half a dozen inserters in one swerve.
I have not, in fact, wiped out half a dozen inserters in a swerve. I wiped out several dozen with repeated swerves before making the roads bigger and walled.

I'm a slow learner

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Complications posted:

I have not, in fact, wiped out half a dozen inserters in a swerve. I wiped out several dozen with repeated swerves before making the roads bigger and walled.

I'm a slow learner

I'm more of a power pole killer than inserters... Oh, and underground pipes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This game, frankly, needs a jetpack. Let me fly over all my poo poo at high speed.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Helicopters

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That is a large and ungainly substitute for the ease and elegance of a jetpack.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Which of these does Factorio align with more? large and ungainly or ease and elegance? :haw:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mithaldu posted:

Which of these does Factorio align with more? large and ungainly or ease and elegance? :haw:

Why not both? Huge and ungainly until you dump 300k electric furnaces into research.

I have QOL research mod on, and with each reset I wonder why I'm playing the videogame and not just going all in on creative mode.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Complications posted:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Zaflis/VehicleSnap

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cool, thanks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

One thing about playing this Krastorio mod game, I certainly won't get that mega-base with rockets anytime soon!

I am currently working on trying to get blue circuits set up. 10 blue assemblers will produce a lovely trickle of 1.25 circuits per second, and this screenshot is my current progress with one major recipe item (processors) yet to be set up. Everything in this screenshot is making just enough parts of the recipe to supply those 10 blue circuit assemblers that don't exist yet.

My guess is that as soon as I turn this spaghetti mess on after completing it, my pathetic raw materials supply will crash, even though I'm producing no science at all right now due to having researched everything that I can research with the base 4 science packs (red/green/blue/grey). With the mod I now need to start producing science research data chips, and the base item for those (a data card holder) requires the blue circuits. Guessing that the blue circuits are going to need a massive upscaling that will require some serious design thought after this basic experiment in producing them is complete.

The pollution cloud is about to hit biters though, so going to have to deal with defenses soon too.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Thinking of starting a second map. What mods are recommended to make the early game a bit less annoying? I only played with squeek thru and afraid of the dark on my first game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xinlum posted:

Thinking of starting a second map. What mods are recommended to make the early game a bit less annoying? I only played with squeek thru and afraid of the dark on my first game.

Tinystart, Even Distribution, I never had the patience for it but nanobots and the lil derpy land construction bots are well regarded, QOL Research if you want QOL thing but feel like you should suffer for it. There's a mod that lets you fill all your burners and furnaces with shift+C but I forget the name.

Personally I console command a power armor, some robits, and a personal fusion generated. I solved that puzzle twice, I don't need to lock it off from myself EVERY restart.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I finally managed to get 1k science per minute stable so I think I'm finally done with my vanilla megabase and I made an Imgur album to show it off. Overall, I think it's a fairly clean design but it's not quite perfect ratio and perfectly aligned like a Nilaus base. I'd like to give the space exploration mod a spin but I think I need to take a break for a while and play some other games in my backlog.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Thanks for sharing! I'm kind of curious, because I'm starting what I hope to be my first megabase (with no clear idea of what that means other than 'big' just yet), and I'm trying to get a sense of scale vs. something that is at least comprehensible to me and not some insane thing. I mean, this is literally 500x my max sustained science output but I can still get an idea of what's what based on the contour of the map.

Looking at your nukes and scaling my own map to roughly the same scale, they have a much smaller footprint compared to the 2x2s I've been using so far. Most of the space mine take up is for steam buffering, control logic to account for that, and extra turbines for power peaking in case of massed laser usage. Do your nukes just run continuously without control logic on the basis of your economy of scale or what?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

Looking at your nukes and scaling my own map to roughly the same scale, they have a much smaller footprint compared to the 2x2s I've been using so far. Most of the space mine take up is for steam buffering, control logic to account for that, and extra turbines for power peaking in case of massed laser usage. Do your nukes just run continuously without control logic on the basis of your economy of scale or what?

I can't speak for anyone else but I have never really seen complicated control systems for nuclear power as important. Adding steam buffers is usually what makes nuclear eats UPS. Fuel cells are so plentiful I can not see any overriding concern to conserve them. Especially if you are using kovarex. I think a large uranium patch can keep your base running 24 hours a day for weeks at that point.

And if you're worried about power spikes just use accumulators, they use no UPS and are dead simple.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I can't speak for anyone else but I have never really seen complicated control systems for nuclear power as important. Adding steam buffers is usually what makes nuclear eats UPS. Fuel cells are so plentiful I can not see any overriding concern to conserve them. Especially if you are using kovarex. I think a large uranium patch can keep your base running 24 hours a day for weeks at that point.

And if you're worried about power spikes just use accumulators, they use no UPS and are dead simple.

396 Uranium Ore per reactor, per hour, with Kovarex. Slightly cheaper with recycling spent cells.

Just run the reactors round the clock.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Foehammer posted:

396 Uranium Ore per reactor, per hour, with Kovarex. Slightly cheaper with recycling spent cells.

Just run the reactors round the clock.

Yep, when I was at the end of my last big factory I think I had enough fuel cells to run my 50 reactors for over a year 24/7 and that fuel had all been made by a single assembler.

My current Krastorio run I set up 20 centrifuges soon after unlocking the tech because I read that the ratio of 238 was much lower with the mod. I'm still working on building the stuff necessary to set up my nuclear plant and I have over 800 238 and 80k 235 (might have that backwards). Even holding back half to kick off Kovarex (still locked behind some research I can't do) I am going to have plenty of fuel without messing with fuel controls.

I think a lot of the people who design those control setups do it for the technical challenge.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

The Locator posted:

I think a lot of the people who design those control setups anything in Factorio do it for the technical challenge.

Fixed

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It's a deadass simple circuit setup, it placates (mostly nonapplicable but emotionally impactful) brownout-choke fears, but the last reason is most important: conserving rods allows your factory to generate the maximum amount of pollution per rod.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

metasynthetic posted:

Thanks for sharing! I'm kind of curious, because I'm starting what I hope to be my first megabase (with no clear idea of what that means other than 'big' just yet), and I'm trying to get a sense of scale vs. something that is at least comprehensible to me and not some insane thing. I mean, this is literally 500x my max sustained science output but I can still get an idea of what's what based on the contour of the map.

I'm glad you liked it; it's not perfect but I'm pretty proud of the work I put into it to solve the problems with scaling. I just updated the Imgur album with 3 more pictures including the power plant, right side of the base, and a smelting location.

Like others indicated, I didn't build the power plant with any kind of steam storage or circuit logic. The idea was to build over capacity and online additional reactors as power demands increased. You could say there isn't any need, there are UPS benefits, or that I appreciate simplicity inside elaborate designs but the truth is that I'm not much of a programmer can really only manage to create the most basic circuit conditions. There's no train logistics system either and I didn't use that much circuit logic overall outside of the oil refinery and that's mostly to send overflow to solid fuel. I did use circuit conditions on certain parts of the mall to maintain buffers of intermediate products like red underground belts and refined concrete. I also used circuit conditions for the fuel depots so that inserters would only take a limited amount of fuel off the train.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

After having played around with the helicopter mod a little, i can say it's absolutely excellent.

My base is definitely megascale to the point that i'm now traversing it almost exclusively with the helicopter, but it's also self-limiting in that it uses up fuel in a way that i couldn't have afforded at earlier stages, and for combat excursions it's still vulnerable to ground attacks and fairly expensive in terms of actually taking things out, but worth it because it removes some of the tedium in doing so in the pre-artillery stages.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I have an explosive missile plant feeding a warehouse so that I can go out on as many carpet bombing campaigns as I want. :buddy: The chopper really does rule, especially the remote ability to summon it to you, and how it can auto pilot to any helipad you have built.

Better than the aircraft mod, as I keep leaving those scattered around my base.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That helicopter mod sounds awesome, I'm going to have to check it out.

In current game news, I designed/built my very own nuclear power plant for the first time without any sort of blueprint, only a ratio list (ratios in Krastorio mod are different than vanilla).

I'm pretty happy with it.

As with the prior game when I got nuclear online, it's awesome not having to worry about power, especially as I'm working on learning all the new stuff in the modded game. I've got some enriched ore processing/smelting setups going on now, and ore coming in from an outpost on trains into a warehouse which then distributes it to the smelting areas. Really liking both the warehouse, and loaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
New resource icons!

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-297

I really did not like the way the new stuff looked on a belt at first, but luckily they did the sane thing and made it all random. It looks pretty badass now.