Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Sakurazuka posted:

Deserts are like sewers, there's never been a good one in a videogame.

I liked Bikanel Island in FFX. Interesting to explore, decent challenging battles for the level you're at when you arrive, a few little Easter eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hate that desert. Goddamn that concept of dry and water did not need to be slammed so hard the plot failed to exist and the gameplay suffered

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it kicked rear end

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hold forward until poem begins. Continue holding forward until character resets to neutral, at which point more poem is read as you hold forward. Poem is about how hot a desert is and is read by lead villain, but has no narrative significance or relevance. Once this process of the game reading to you is complete, hold forward more. Scene ends and despite a joke about water being taken from our hero who should by all accounts basically be dead from dehydration, fight through a ton of mooks with no impediment in a completely pointless battle in brown town.

Uncharted 3 killed the franchise for me.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Gold Saucer Desert in FFVII ruled as you could learn Aqualung ridiculously early making all boss battles a piece of piss up until Disc 2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dell_Zincht posted:

The Gold Saucer Desert in FFVII ruled as you could learn Aqualung ridiculously early making all boss battles a piece of piss up until Disc 2.

you can learn Beta even earlier if you aren't some kind of scrub

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, as soon as you reach Costa Del Sol I always go back and get Beta. Fewer enemies are resistant/absorb Water attacks, though. Two disc 1 bosses absorb fire attacks (Materia Keeper and Red Dragon.)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Why would you wait that long? Just use the Elemental materia you get at Shinra HQ with Fire in your armor and get it as soon as you can.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Dragonatrix posted:

Why would you wait that long? Just use the Elemental materia you get at Shinra HQ with Fire in your armor and get it as soon as you can.

This is going to make me sound like a total noob, but I used to completely ignore Elemental materia until about a year ago. I play through FFVII (and I replay it at least twice a year) totally differently to how I used to play it as a teenager.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

honestly as a kid i never figured out the Elemental materia either, i wore the rings though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that said learning Beta is still a massive pain in the rear end because you only have a 33% chance of getting it

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

I can't believe you didn't go for "you can learn Beta even earlier if you aren't some kind of beta"...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While FFVII started the trend of the series getting more character-centric, I find it strange how long Aerith isn't even mentioned in the main quest after her death, not until you return to Cosmo Canyon.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 31, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

While FFVII started the trend of the series getting more character-centric, I find it strange how long Aerith isn't even mentioned in the main quest after her death, not until you return to Cosmo Canyon.

To be fair the characters are a bit busy not getting executed by Shin-Ra and then worrying about Meteor.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is indeed strange from a script perspective. But yeah, from the perspective of in-game events, it's not that weird: After Aeris' death so much poo poo happens in a row that it makes sense that the characters don't get a lot of time to stop and think about it.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I think it's something future games like the Tales series improves on from FF7 being a 1996 game, really, with things like plot-important skits letting the characters bond and ruminate about important events while not having to fit them in the mainline games cript

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFVII:

It's a pain to get your head around the controls if you play on PC with a gamepad. You can rebind the keys but this can play havoc when you have to input a sequence in a short time. I just button-mashed to stop that runaway train. The dumbest minigame is when you fall of the train-tracks and a tutorial pops up to tell you how to move while you're falling.

The world-map is probably the dullest of the series. It feels tiny, it doesn't have the alternate-versions like previous games, nor the dynamic and lively details of the next two games. There isn't a good overworld theme until late in the game.

I have no idea what Fort Condor is about. I just left it until it was mandatory and did nothing during RTS section so I could beat that piss-easy boss.

The game mixes up pixel-hunting with time-sensitive items with annoying frequency. Why is the materia to summon a thunder-god just lying around in a jockeys' breakroom? Why do you need Barrett to pick up his final weapon in a one-time only dungeon?

I dislike how slow AP gain is until the endgame. You could quickly get new characters up to speed to learn magic in FF6 by comparison. By the time you can truly play around with the materia-system in FF7 the game's already over.

It would have made more sense for someone like Heidegger or Scarlet to directly destroy Sector 7 instead of Reno. You can't play someone as punch-clock rival when they commit an act of mass-murder that would make Kefka erect.

I am interested in the graphical leap from 7 to 8. Did 8 run slower or have longer load times on the original PS1 release?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 31, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I never bothered with Fort Condor as a teenager, but you can play the RTS game 6 or 7 times I believe and you get a different item each time for winning. It does seem out of place in a FF game, though.

I agree with you on Barret's Missing Score. It's not like he particularly has any ties to Hojo, so why would his ultimate weapon be available before fighting him? It would have made a lot more sense if you'd gotten it from stopping the train destroying North Corel.

If you know what you're doing, there are quite a few places to farm AP easily before Disc 3, though.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Missing Score would have been more appropriate dropping in the Corel Desert Prison. Perfect empty chest for it down that shaft, or even in the burnt out house where Barret rejoins the group. Or even where Dyne fell! POSSIBILITIES!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

There isn't a good overworld theme until late in the game.

FF7 is one of the only good mainline FF overworld themes

Actually Good Tier: 7, 4

Maybe Ok Tier: 6, 8

Nah Tier: 9, 5

Don't really remember the other ones

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The bad ones are in the games that start the song over after a random battle

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's a very bizarre creative decision that they decided to dump ALL the exposition on the Cetra and Aerith's parents in the town after her death. The characters don't acknowledge any of it at all, either.

Ventana posted:

FF7 is one of the only good mainline FF overworld themes

Actually Good Tier: 7, 4

Maybe Ok Tier: 6, 8

Nah Tier: 9, 5

Don't really remember the other ones

Does FFVI have a consistent world theme? At least in World of Balance I feel like it changed now and then. I distinctly remember Terra's Theme playing a few times as the overworld theme and of course it's Good Tier.

This temporary world map theme from FF3 is pretty drat good IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b7sSfcXrnU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure if it counts, but Searching for Friends is powerful af.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Searching for Friends always counts.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Elentor posted:

Not sure if it counts, but Searching for Friends is powerful af.

Same, except Dark World.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
3's Eternal Wind is the best overworld theme and I'll loving die defending this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Sephiroth clones are probably the most tragic characters in VII. Everyone in Cloud's hometown who survived the slaughter end up as brainwashed drones who end up committing suicide anyway.

I noticed that Sephiroth never talks in the present-day, nor does he have much screen-time. All the busy-work is done by his Jenova proxies.

Capcom hit gold with the Resident Evil 2 Remake. That game strongly deviates from the original with modern design-decisions, and the plot manages to have actual pathos like the scene with the gun-shop owner. At the same time the game was modest in size and didn't artificially inflate itself. I can't feel enthusiastic about VII's remake given that the corporate structure of Square Enix hasn't improved from an outsider's perspective. The original VII had a rushed production of less than two years, but it wasn't until 12 and 13 did the stretch marks of a tenuous development cause a negative impact on the games.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mega64 posted:

3's Eternal Wind is the best overworld theme and I'll loving die defending this.

3 has a really good soundtrack overall.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I noticed that Sephiroth never talks in the present-day, nor does he have much screen-time. All the busy-work is done by his Jenova proxies.

That's because you don't actually meet him until the very end of the game. Cloud interacts with him at the North Crater before he summons Meteor (sorta) but the whole point of Sephiroth is he's a master manipulator.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wtf FF7 and 9 have amazing overworld themes are you people on meth

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I think all 3 NES games have excellent overworld themes. 2 captures the desolate, empty and hopeless vibe that game has so well that its arguably the only thing that game does right :v:

I'd give it a toss up between 2 and 4 for my favorite overworld theme (unless we'd count XI zone themes, in which case I'd give it to Ronfaure or Zi'Tah)

Am I the weird one for thinking 7 has a very hit or miss soundtrack? It has some clear standouts that I wouldn't argue with but the large majority of it is a disappointing drop off from how consistently good 4 and 6 are. The sound font that was used actually feels like a step down from the SNES games in a lot of places which is weird for the CD multimedia experience it was considered at the time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Or if you were me and many other nerds 15+ years ago, you insisted Jenova was the real villain and Sephiroth was her puppet.

I still dislike what I feel is an incongruity in Sephiroth's character. The Nibelheim Sephiroth is radically different from the one you encounter in the game. They have different motivations, goals and personalities. I figured Jenova controlling him explained this well enough. But since that is cnonically not what happened, I'm left to speculate.

Somebody on another forum offered the best explanation I've ever heard. They likened Jenova to the One Ring from LOTR. Sure you can master it and control it but in the process you are no longer you. The Ring's taint, Sauron's pure evil essence, will leave a permanent stain on your soul and mind. Sephiroth took control of Jenova but in turn he pretty much became Jenova.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Over those hills is the best world map theme

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

I am interested in the graphical leap from 7 to 8. Did 8 run slower or have longer load times on the original PS1 release?

Not particularly. I think they just built it better from the start, having spent most of 7 loving around with seeing what these shiny new 3D computers could do.

Edit: FF8's Blue Fields > FF7 Overworld theme > FF7 meteor overworld theme > FF9

(Playing 9 now and it's a...weird...track, that one. Can't work out what I think of it).

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

This might be old news but play Anxious Heart from FFVII.

Now play Spacelab by Kraftwerk.

Mind. Blown.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, when I got into my Kraftwerk phase, I immediately went “hey wait...”

Also, am I the only one who thinks the FFVII soundtrack takes some cues from Twin Peaks?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fightwithcrayons posted:

Not particularly. I think they just built it better from the start, having spent most of 7 loving around with seeing what these shiny new 3D computers could do.

Edit: FF8's Blue Fields > FF7 Overworld theme > FF7 meteor overworld theme > FF9

(Playing 9 now and it's a...weird...track, that one. Can't work out what I think of it).

I gotta say, I don't see love for Blue Fields that often. I can't stand the original but the mod I have puts in the orchestrated version and I think it makes it 100x better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_e7nYEyYNs

Feel the same way about Man with the Machinegun. Don't care about the original but the orchestrated version is godly.

Am I alone in getting the impression of "mundaneness" from most of FFVIII's music, especially the town music and this world map theme? It has none of the wonder or fantastic feeling of FFVII's world map theme. That first ime you leave Midgar is an unforgettable moment for a lot of people I've met and the music is a big part of that. It really conveys how vast and grand it all is.

Blue Fields is just...nothing. The world, judged by that song, is very bland and unremarkable.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 31, 2019

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Best overworld themes:

5. Eternal Wind
4. 7's main theme
3. 2's main theme
2. 4's main theme
1. Searching for Friends

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Eternal Wind, Blue Fields and Terra’s Theme are my favorite overworld themes.

I also love the Salikawood and Ozmone Plain from XII and whatever the overworld theme for IV is called.

But my straight up favorite track from any FF is the Phantom Forest from VI. Itsssss soooooo goooooddddd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

This might be old news but play Anxious Heart from FFVII.

Now play Spacelab by Kraftwerk.

Mind. Blown.

On the same note, listen to "Dancing Mad" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXVNKtmWnc&t=693s and then "Tarkus" by Emerson Lake and Palmer if you have 40 minutes spare.

TheIndividual fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 1, 2019