Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0HvsB-5HGI :allears: let’s just remember happier times....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee Jones posted:

let’s just remember happier times....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyURPI92PkU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Y'all down on elective monarchy but the HRE was one of the longest-lasting empires in history :agesilaus:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

The Targaryen also had periods of elective kings as their transition never was really peaceful. :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
All this WW2 chat, and no one suggested it as an inspiration for the plot of the last season? Basically, something like this:

- There's an entire season where it's mostly the North and Dany's forces fighting a losing battle against the White Walkers. Cersei had pledged to help, but in reality she's just beefing up the defenses of King's Landing against dragons.
- The White Walkers get far enough south that Cersei (and the common people of the south) starts to worry, and she actually sends a force to assist.
- Cersei's forces, alongside the Tullies, join the Army of the Living at the Trident.
- At the point where it looks like Jon is about to be defeated by the Night King in a duel in the penultimate episode of the season, Jaime sneaks up and stabs the Night King in the back, and the entire Army of the Dead collapses.
- The following episode, we see everyone celebrating - and importantly, Lannister soldiers (and others, like Tyrion and Brienne) hailing Jaime as "Kingslayer" - while Dany seethes at them coming in at the last moment and taking all the glory after her army has basically been wiped out saving their ungrateful asses.

Following season is Dany and the rest of the people who actually sacrificed trying to save Westeros vs. a Cersei bolstered by the Lannisters "saving the Seven Kingdoms single-handedly". Dany gets more and more pissed off over the final season, seeing everyone she has just saved treating her as a conquering monster. Final episode, the city surrenders, Dany flies up to the Red Keep to stop Cersei from escaping - and all the people hiding in the Red Keep call out for Jaime to save them from this monster. Then Jaime actually shows up (in an attempt to calm everyone down), Dany realizes Tyrion betrayed her, and she starts panicking and assumes this whole thing is some sort of trap. Cue Dany seeing scorpions everywhere and going into a panicked frenzy, attacking towers and carts all over the place, until she appears to just be trying to burn down the city for the hell of it.

Final episode, Dany ain't exactly happy about what she did, but she feels like she's forced to just play along with what happened and act like it was actually on purpose - rather than because she had a paranoid fit. Episode otherwise plays out along similar lines, except Dany is less Hitlery, and Edmure is made king. Not because he's especially suited to it, but because he can be recast as a replacement hero of the Second Battle of the Trident, and still has something of an army. Basically, he becomes the lie they all agree to believe in because they can't come up with an alternative and everyone is just sick of fighting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Germans had very good optics in their tanks. That was about it really as far as tech advantage iirc.

Nazi Germany was the first to use jet planes, but there was some problems with them: Fueling them were extremely dangerous. They could only stay in the air for a few minutes. They were so fast that they often flew past their targets. Landing them often resulted in crashes

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Nazi Germany was the first to use jet planes, but there was some problems with them: Fueling them were extremely dangerous. They could only stay in the air for a few minutes. They were so fast that they often flew past their targets. Landing them often resulted in crashes

They also had cool rockets for like the last month of the war, years after the war was irretrievably lost to them.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They also had cool rockets for like the last month of the war, years after the war was irretrievably lost to them.

Stealth aircraft too, similarly developed too late to matter

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Y'all down on elective monarchy but the HRE was one of the longest-lasting empires in history :agesilaus:

"Well actually, the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire"
\

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

I enjoyed these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEZiiKpE-jY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acqxeL8mQvw

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Goons Are Great posted:

The Targaryen also had periods of elective kings as their transition never was really peaceful. :colbert:

The Targaryens were in a civil war drat near every 30-40 years before the dragons finally started dying off, and power got more consolidated.

Until then, any Targ or Targ bastard with a dragon could make trouble. And then there were a couple kings that decided that Zeus was an excellent model for creating stable lineage, and had a bunch of powerful bastards legitimized, and one guy married 3 girls at once.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 31, 2019

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

I feel cheated by the first one and cringed hard at the second one.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

No Wave posted:

I guess that's why he's never encountered anyone aware of that "fact".

I bet that guy is like the guy in his avatar right now haha. Shame he never came back into the thread.

Edit:

Rascar fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 31, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rascar posted:

I bet that guy is like the guy in his avatar right now haha. Shame he never came back into the thread.

He's doing more "research" to spread the truth to the uneducated masses

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Alhazred posted:

You're confusing the ME-262 with the ME-163. The 262 was a normal jet aircraft burning the equivalent of kerosene, the 163 was the one with the detachable landing gear that burned rocket fuel.

And the Allies figured out that the best way to fight the 262s was to destroy them as they were taking off and landing, rather than fighting them in the air.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SimonCat posted:

You're confusing the ME-262 with the ME-163. The 262 was a normal jet aircraft burning the equivalent of kerosene, the 163 was the one with the detachable landing gear that burned rocket fuel.

And the Allies figured out that the best way to fight the 262s was to destroy them as they were taking off and landing, rather than fighting them in the air.

It also didn't help that the ME-262 required extra long run aways which made it obvious where were being stored in hangars.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
remind me when did hitler start riding dragons and when did churchill get his snow mammoth?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

remind me when did hitler start riding dragons and when did churchill get his snow mammoth?

The implication being also that Churchill charged 6 SS gestapo (no wonder the Night's Watch all wore black!) in a tunnel and they all died, ofc.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Oh yeah I just meant tech advantage with regards to tanks specifically.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CrazyLoon posted:

The implication being also that Churchill charged 6 SS gestapo (no wonder the Night's Watch all wore black!) in a tunnel and they all died, ofc.
If anyone is Churchill it's Cersei, given her alcoholism. Fat Cersei having all her meetings in the nude while half-way drunk would've also spiced up season 6-8.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If anyone is Churchill it's Cersei, given her alcoholism. Fat Cersei having all her meetings in the nude while half-way drunk would've also spiced up season 6-8.

Pre-imprisonment this is where they were headed with Book Cersei. She was drinking and getting fat. Books left off on her getting freed and meeting Zombie Mountain I think?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Did Tyrion make a single good decision as Danny's hand? He catastrophically hosed up at every turn from letting the Masters invade the former slave city, to putting women and children in crypts during the necromancer war, to not checking/ betraying Danny until it was way too late.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love WWII chat but even I think it might not belong in the thread for this bad and dead TV series

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did Tyrion make a single good decision as Danny's hand? He catastrophically hosed up at every turn from letting the Masters invade the former slave city, to putting women and children in crypts during the necromancer war, to not checking/ betraying Danny until it was way too late.

Nope, after getting downsized he seemed really incompetent vs the earlier seasons with a lack of scenes like the time he turned Lancel into a spy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I mean Danny was seen as bad but outside of King's Landing she made the right decision every single time. IIRC, in the books it is shown that she is an incompetent ruler and has temperament issues?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nobody made any good decisions. Like not a single person

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean Danny was seen as bad but outside of King's Landing she made the right decision every single time. IIRC, in the books it is shown that she is an incompetent ruler and has temperament issues?

In the books she is not as confident (that is more framed as an age thing), but kind - she second guesses herself a lot. Barristan and Jorah spend a lot of time telling her 'you're not your dad' and she is comforted by that. More inexperienced than incompetent, and she listens to everyone advising IIRC. I never got the impression she was anything but hampered by inexperience and self-doubt.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fart Amplifier posted:

Nobody made any good decisions. Like not a single person

Jon Snow and Sansa Stark make some good decisions.

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

In the books she is not as confident (that is more framed as an age thing), but kind - she second guesses herself a lot. Barristan and Jorah spend a lot of time telling her 'you're not your dad' and she is comforted by that. More inexperienced than incompetent, and she listens to everyone advising IIRC. I never got the impression she was anything but hampered by inexperience and self-doubt.

This is like, the exact opposite of her GOT portrayal.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jon Snow and Sansa Stark make some good decisions.

This is like, the exact opposite of her GOT portrayal.

Yeah...which now is especially weird because on the show, they just went full steam ahead with FIRE AND BLOOD I WILL PUNISH MY ENEMIES Dany. Probably so her fall from grace at the end was even more dramatic but they completely failed when her enemies became The Good Guys.

The fact Dany is a POV character in the books actually hurt her on the show. They didn't do a great job showing all the self-doubt she shows as GoT went on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Tyrion gets outmaneuvered all the time in the show. The only time he gets up ahead is when gets Bronn to fight his trial by combat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah...which now is especially weird because on the show, they just went full steam ahead with FIRE AND BLOOD I WILL PUNISH MY ENEMIES Dany. Probably so her fall from grace at the end was even more dramatic but they completely failed when her enemies became The Good Guys.

In the first season (and in the first book) her enemies is bunch of shepherds that gets raped and slaughtered by the dothrakies.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think in the books it's a very high possibility that Tyrion, who despises everyone in his family INCLUDING Jaime, is going to be the proverbial devil on Dany's shoulder screaming for her to burn the city.

Book Tyrion is a colossal rear end in a top hat, but his hatred of his family is admittedly very well deserved by what they cut from the show.

In the books Jaime reveals that Tyrion's first wife, Tysha, who he legitimately loved, wasn't just some whore Tywin and Jaime arranged for. She really was a mere peasant girl who really did legitimately love Tyrion, and they forced him to both watch and participate in her gang rape.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think in the books it's a very high possibility that Tyrion, who despises everyone in his family INCLUDING Jaime, is going to be the proverbial devil on Dany's shoulder screaming for her to burn the city.

Book Tyrion is a colossal rear end in a top hat, but his hatred of his family is admittedly very well deserved by what they cut from the show.

In the books Jaime reveals that Tyrion's first wife, Tysha, who he legitimately loved, wasn't just some whore Tywin and Jaime arranged for. She really was a mere peasant girl who really did legitimately love Tyrion, and they forced him to both watch and participate in her gang rape.

That's probable, and it only makes worse the way the show version of Tyrion turned out.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The fact Dany is a POV character in the books actually hurt her on the show. They didn't do a great job showing all the self-doubt she shows as GoT went on.

You could argue she's not shot as a POV character for almost the entirety of Season 8

particularly everything after the bells scene. She's someone the POV characters have to deal with from that point on

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Probably the number one disadvantage of Movies and TV against books is their inability to effectively inner monologue. Which makes books like for, instance Dune or GoT especially hard to adapt. Certain characters especially suffered fro this. Dany like you said. But I think Cersei suffered the most, especially as she's basically the cornerstone of the overall southern side of the plot. All those chapters from her viewpoint really get across her delusional, paranoid, petty, and quite frankly unintelligent mental state that drives huge chunks of the Westeros political situation. We essentially ended up with a different character where in the show she's changes into a Machiavellian schemer always outplaying her enemies through cold and calm manipulation.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sky Shadowing posted:

Honestly I liked that that part was cut out of the show. The books are already way into rape and it makes me queasy as gently caress and I have to skip through it most of the time. I liked the fact that Tyrion and Jaime kept a more amicable relationship in the series and that a random peasant girl wasn't loving raped by a whole contingent of soldiers...seriously wtf Martin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I think these are fun, and Emilia Clarke should try comedy she might be better at it than serious drama

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

galagazombie posted:

Probably the number one disadvantage of Movies and TV against books is their inability to effectively inner monologue. Which makes books like for, instance Dune or GoT especially hard to adapt. Certain characters especially suffered fro this. Dany like you said. But I think Cersei suffered the most, especially as she's basically the cornerstone of the overall southern side of the plot. All those chapters from her viewpoint really get across her delusional, paranoid, petty, and quite frankly unintelligent mental state that drives huge chunks of the Westeros political situation. We essentially ended up with a different character where in the show she's changes into a Machiavellian schemer always outplaying her enemies through cold and calm manipulation.

I always thought as Cersei as intelligent but not nearly as intelligent as she thinks she is.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

He introduced Dany to Jon, and vouched for Jon's character. Without him, the Jon-Dany alliance that winds up defeating the Night King's army probably doesn't happen. Dany probably takes King's Landing easily, then gets swarmed by an army of the dead ten times the size of the one that attacked Winterfell within a year or two.

That's literally it, though. I'm pretty sure everything else he did for her was a terrible mistake or ended poorly for reasons outside his control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zaphod42 posted:

I think these are fun, and Emilia Clarke should try comedy she might be better at it than serious drama

I think out of all the actors in this show for whom their character was their first big break, she runs the least risk of being typecast because a. her actual personality is completely different from Daenerys and b. everyone's so used to seeing her with a ridiculous blonde wig that they won't immediately go "oh that's Khaleesi" when she's in a romcom a few years from now.