Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Has there been anyone working on another mmo fps like planetside or WW2 online? Maybe a battlegrounds type game without a total game winner? I don't know, I miss planetside. Big battle games continue to develop so I hope someone tries planetside 3 or something.

midwinter is doing something massive with spatialos, but not that i know of. I'm actually pretty decent friends with most of the ps2 developers. they dream about PS3 but i doubt it'll ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there anything even remotely good on the horizon? I feel like there's always some hubbub about survival pvp wannabe eve type ones and they always turn out to be unfinished ugly betas with no content and quickly die off. Theme parks are all Korean cash grab poo poo and it's not even worth looking at a trailer for those. Maybe I'm just old

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Xun posted:

Is there anything even remotely good on the horizon? I feel like there's always some hubbub about survival pvp wannabe eve type ones and they always turn out to be unfinished ugly betas with no content and quickly die off. Theme parks are all Korean cash grab poo poo and it's not even worth looking at a trailer for those. Maybe I'm just old

There's no money in making other than Survival nonsense, Korean grindfests and Free2Play microtransaction nightmares.

That's it, there's simply no money in trying to do a World of Warcraft scale game, none of the big players wants to play, those that did, paid the literal price.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Xun posted:

People are playing Albion which went FTP last month, is a complete game, has full loot pvp and whaddayaknow goons own it already.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
You cant do big rear end MMO WoW style. There are not enough hours in a day for gamers to play all those loving live services poo poo + MMOs. You could theoretically do that, but then you would have to generate a similar effect that WoW had during launch. I have no idea what game could pull all those people away from live services games where they have invested hundreds or thousands of hours and €/$. I have been playing MHW for example and while it is not a classical live services game, it consumes my time like an MMO. I have literally no time to play anything else with my limited schedule. Even if I had 8hours of gaming time a day, I dont think I could play more than 2 grindfests at a time.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

L2 got fantasy open world pvp right in that there's consequences for ganking people.

The factions split that got popular with wow is incredibly dumb, both from a gameplay point of view (no reason not to grief people if you're feeling bored, there's no risk to doing it it), and from a "split your playerbase" point of view. Wow was incredibly popular so it got away with the 2nd one, but the 1st one still made playing on pvp servers just plain inferior unless you had a gank squad of your own.

the "two factions" thing becoming a staple feels like low key one of the biggest mistakes in the history of MMOs, it's completely pointless for so many reasons and it feels like devs have bent over backwards to shove it into their games out of slavish devotion to the WoW model, so loving DUMB

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Xun posted:

I feel like there's always some hubbub about survival pvp wannabe eve type ones and they always turn out to be unfinished ugly betas with no content and quickly die off.

that's the exact reason none of those games ever survive, in eve the entire economy depends on pve and so ultimately the entire game depends on pve players and having pvp players protect them. nobody ever seems to realize this and thus they end up running out of money in a genre that prints money relative to server cost if you have even the slightest hint of repeat customers

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The MMORPG space is now entirely mobile games. All of the biggest MMORPGs released in the last two years are on iOS and Android exclusively, and apparently some of them have playerbases that surpass numbers WoW couldn't even hope to achieve.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol wow was some small poo poo compared to even lol, didn't that cap out at 60 million weekly players or somesuch?

i'm sure there's mobile games with 10 times as many people playing by now

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

madfury posted:

You cant do big rear end MMO WoW style. There are not enough hours in a day for gamers to play all those loving live services poo poo + MMOs. You could theoretically do that, but then you would have to generate a similar effect that WoW had during launch. I have no idea what game could pull all those people away from live services games where they have invested hundreds or thousands of hours and €/$. I have been playing MHW for example and while it is not a classical live services game, it consumes my time like an MMO. I have literally no time to play anything else with my limited schedule. Even if I had 8hours of gaming time a day, I dont think I could play more than 2 grindfests at a time.

But I never even hit max level in EQ. It wasn't as much about racing to max level back then, saying "grindfest" is oversimplifying these games and how and why they consume your time.

Back in the golden day of EQ and classic WoW, I spent all day thinking about playing. All my friends played, we'd get on together and go do things together in the game like, every single day. I still did plenty of other things, but if I was gaming, I was probably playing that one MMO and not anything else.

Yeah, I definitely had more free time back then, but if I drop playing any game but one I can still invest a lot of time. Like you said, MHW sucks up lots of time. But I put a ton of time in MHW, and then more or less beat it, and haven't touched it much since other than to co-op with friends a couple times. Looking forward to the new expansion, but that'll be a similar burst and then stop.

The thing about the MMO is that they keep releasing content. That's what keeps you going. You've kinda got the cause -> effect backwards, you don't like the games because they're grindy, you grind because you like the game. The game has to be worth playing and give you a big enough world and persistent social environment that it feels worth investing the grind.

Destiny, Division and Anthem are all trying to be that continuous-content MMO type game that you play for hours and its your favorite game. I think the term the industry finally landed on is "Lifestyle Game". Whatever.

Point is, if they could deliver better they totally could have it be like the old days. But Destiny had so many design problems, every step forward was also a step backwards. It was massively conflicted, and everything they learned in the Destiny DLC, they reversed in Destiny 2. Division had even more problems with balance and design, and Anthem even more still. They keep loving up. If they could just release one of those games and NOT gently caress it up completely, it'd be the new WoW, it'd print money, and they know it and that's why they're all trying to make these "Lifestyle Games" right now. But they keep cocking it up because publishers are dumb and try to cut corners at the last minute or make dumb decisions like building an MMO in Frostbite engine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

The MMORPG space is now entirely mobile games. All of the biggest MMORPGs released in the last two years are on iOS and Android exclusively, and apparently some of them have playerbases that surpass numbers WoW couldn't even hope to achieve.

None of those mobile games really count as MMORPGs in the traditional sense though do they? They're all pretty significantly different. Its not an MMO just to have lots of players online, or else Counter-Strike is an MMO.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

It's just so hard to find an MMO that hooks me up these days, everything straight up feels soulless

WoW Classic is like the only exception and even then I feel like I have brain damage by liking it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

None of those mobile games really count as MMORPGs in the traditional sense though do they? They're all pretty significantly different. Its not an MMO just to have lots of players online, or else Counter-Strike is an MMO.

everything that has an online lobby has been called a mmo since at least guild wars 1, that train sailed

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

frajaq posted:

It's just so hard to find an MMO that hooks me up these days, everything straight up feels soulless

WoW Classic is like the only exception and even then I feel like I have brain damage by liking it

Go try out City of Heroes on the new Homecoming server if you haven't. If that game has one thing, it's loads of personality. There's really no other MMO like it.

It's definitely flawed and has jank and the balance isn't great but it's a ton of fun anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

frajaq posted:

They are. Everything's designed for the lowest common denominator now and can't be interesting or challenging.

frajaq posted:

Somebody needs to make a wow classic thread and this has to be the thread title

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Harrow posted:

Go try out City of Heroes on the new Homecoming server if you haven't. If that game has one thing, it's loads of personality. There's really no other MMO like it.

It’s good. Never played it live but I’ve been having fun.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Anyone playing conquerors blade? I downloaded it and played it some over the weekend. I'm enjoying the gameplay and premise so far.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

Anyone playing conquerors blade? I downloaded it and played it some over the weekend. I'm enjoying the gameplay and premise so far.

Is it out of beta yet? I've been waiting for that to happen first.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I said come in! posted:

Is it out of beta yet? I've been waiting for that to happen first.

It's entering in an open beta that isn't going to be wiped so it seems to be a good time to get in on it. I was going to create a thread but I've been working late.

Edit: Paging Alexander DeLarge to make a thread

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 4, 2019

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
CoH will always be good and for that I am thankful

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I heard that the big meta issue is that kiting is op and therefore bow is S tier, all other ranged weapons are A tier, and all melee weapons are F tier.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

SweetBro posted:

I heard that the big meta issue is that kiting is op and therefore bow is S tier, all other ranged weapons are A tier, and all melee weapons are F tier.

I'm not far along enough to make a good argument except that all range users I've encountered are super squishy and vulnerable as hell to troops and players. That said, I do find it difficult to catch people on foot w/o troops.

I have a 75% win rate over 12 matches so far and while each match is a tremendous group effort, I find that hanging by your troops and holding a point will win the match over trying to solo merk.

It kind of plays like a moba + dynasty warriors + m&b. It's interesting enough right now to grab me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When I played the closed beta it felt like a far more user friendly / easier experience then For Honor, which is not a bad game but has a very steep learning curve.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I said come in! posted:

When I played the closed beta it felt like a far more user friendly / easier experience then For Honor, which is not a bad game but has a very steep learning curve.

I get the comparison. I like it in the fact that you build up your own unit of troops and can specialize them according to your needs. I'm thinking of starting over and just beefing up spear and shield troops and then concentrating on cavalry.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

An MMO that I miss that I wish were possible to play today was Everquest Online Adventures.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

An MMO that I miss that I wish were possible to play today was Everquest Online Adventures.

Its interesting how different it was from EQ. Makes sense because you couldn't really play EQ on a controller, but they didn't just adapt the interface, they built a whole other world.

Seems almost wasteful when you think about it that way. Why not share a world so you could both work on expansions and get double the content or half the dev cost?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Its interesting how different it was from EQ. Makes sense because you couldn't really play EQ on a controller, but they didn't just adapt the interface, they built a whole other world.

Seems almost wasteful when you think about it that way. Why not share a world so you could both work on expansions and get double the content or half the dev cost?

I know a lot of people were hoping the game would be ported to PlayStation 3 and at one point I think that was even the plan. I don't know why it had to shut down, a lot of people actually still played it. I actually watched final moments videos of the game earlier today and there were hundreds of players on to say goodbye to the game.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I miss EQ Next.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 4, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

:same:, mega :same: quoting a post i made earlier in this thread about how awesome EQOA was and why

Frog Act posted:

EQOA was really good because it was like an EQ lite that I found extremely graphically pleasing on account of its use of bright primary colors (presumably to accomodate the slowness of the PS2). It had a lot of stuff that was just taken directly out of EQ classic, like the general zone of Norrath, the classes, the cities, and many of the abilities, but the gameplay was fundamentally different. It was made to be played with a controller so you had a tight rotation of spells that functioned like the regular spellbook, but both physical and caster classes had a nice array of them. Every class had a unique and useful role like in regular EQ and they were mirror versions slightly tweaked - like Shaman had better debuffs and a set of very cool pets (bears and wolves instead of just one wolf) and they had both SoW and a spirit wolf travel form.

The world was also, imo, better than PC EQ. It looked better and felt more like WoW than the high fantasy of EQPC but was still consistent with the overall aesthetic of Norrath. The racial home cities were loving great and there were always players in them. The zones were big and had really unique color palettes that were consistently bright and cheery. Best of all, it had a dope fast travel system that imo was a good compromise for the period and basically presaged wow's flight paths - a coach system where most settlements had a coach but you had to walk there to get the route first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDdxVP5U3k

^Here's a nice tour of all the home cities and I honestly still find it really compelling

The combat was clunky compared to modern stuff ofc but the group dynamics were great, everyone had a role and the overall difficulty was balanced somewhere between FFXI and WoW. For instance, dying wasn't a huge disaster and you didn't have to go on corpse runs, you just revived back at what was basically a bind point in any settlement (no player binding iirc but the map was thickly settled with NPC hubs that served as gathering points for groups, there was a version of Highpass Hold and settlements outside Qeynos, etc, and they all had bind points). Plus, instead of losing exp on death, you gained an exp debt, which overwrote a percentage of your current exp requirement with a little green bar over the usual yellow that represented the debt to pay off. Then it filled before your regular exp until it was full and you went back to wherever you were before that in the level. It was typically a 10% penalty.

It had leveled loot, unlike EQPC, and (iirc, again, its been over a decade) there were varying tiers of it, like in WoW and later MMOs. I think this system was awesome insofar as it mitigated twinking considerably compared to EQPC. There was useable vendor equipment and drops but principally your best loot would come from class quests, sorta like in EQPC, only there were a lot of them and every class did several at different level intervals. At level 15 you might get a weapon, then at 25 you might get pants/gloves/boots/helmet followed by a chest at 30, then the whole thing over again once or twice until you have the top notch stuff for you class. Each quest required participation from other classes too I think. There might even have been crafting because I definitely remember relying on some random people in Freeport to supply me with items I needed for my class armor.

More important than anything though, it had that sense of a broad, living world that EQ games in that era tried so hard to manifest. Boat rides, mysterious cities, secrets, extremely detailed and lovingly put together cities, etc etc. I played when I was maybe 11 or 12 and only got to level 35 as a Shaman and again as a Monk (they were my hands down favorite monk class in any game - they had a sort of Eastern flavor, obviously, but it was well articulated as an intersection of like Qeynosian virtue and foreign martial arts, and all the abilities you got felt very substantial - kick for instance acted like a regular hotbar ability with a recharge and it was buffed like hell for monks, very cool) so I didn't experience the supermajority of the content the game had to offer. I'd honestly pay full price and a sub fee for a mobile version of EQOA or something that let me go explore Neriak and Ak'Anon and especially all the Barbarian areas with a full population again.

This post got way too long so please someone read it, EQOA was so good. To get a sense of the world, maybe just click around in this video, with some scrubs running halfway across the bottom of one of the continents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-GlyoSya0

ed: I haven't finished this video yet but it also seems to be a pretty good explanation of what made EQOA so great as essentially a simplified version of the extremely complicated PNP-inspired MMOs of the late 90s early aughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFyzwxUbpoE

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

:same:, mega :same: quoting a post i made earlier in this thread about how awesome EQOA was and why

I know there were attempts to bring the game back, John Smedly was on board with doing this back in 2015 but then controversy surrounding him forced him to resign. Now he works at Amazon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaysette posted:

I miss EQ Next.

eq next was looking like they totally missed what eq should be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, EQ Next looked really bad and I forgot it was even canceled. Daybreak shutdown a lot of good and unique MMOs, but Everquest Next was not one of them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I know there were attempts to bring the game back, John Smedly was on board with doing this back in 2015 but then controversy surrounding him forced him to resign. Now he works at Amazon.

theoretically it is happening, but it will obviously never, ever happen. there are probably a total of like a hundred people on earth who give enough of a poo poo about EQOA to even bother googling it.

https://www.projectreturnhome.com/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

theoretically it is happening, but it will obviously never, ever happen. there are probably a total of like a hundred people on earth who give enough of a poo poo about EQOA to even bother googling it.

https://www.projectreturnhome.com/

I had found that emulator last night actually, but its made like zero progress in over a year. At one point I know they were about to get the necessary files from John Smedly but then that never happened.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Do all former MMO devs end up at Amazon, only to never be heard from again? Despite years of talk about making games, Amazon never seems to have actually launched anything beyond no-name mobile titles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Do all former MMO devs end up at Amazon, only to never be heard from again? Despite years of talk about making games, Amazon never seems to have actually launched anything beyond no-name mobile titles.

Smedley isn't a game designer, he's like a producer right? He's probably working on AWS stuff now, which is a huge deal and makes Amazon like billions of dollars.

Groovelord Neato posted:

eq next was looking like they totally missed what eq should be.

Well, the whole idea was they were developing a new game engine to allow them to make really cool huge maps easier. The first step was to make a minecraft-like game they could sell that would just be about building your own levels using that game editor, which would allow them to subsidize the cost of the editor in addition to the cost of making the next EQ game. But they never got off the loving ground on the minecraft-like game, which was a disaster, so they definitely never got anywhere close to the actual everquest MMO.

But the plan WAS to have hand-crafted maps for a MMORPG that would basically look and play just like EQ did. So I don't think it was that they missed the mark, they were just way too ambitious and didn't have the resources to pull it off.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I remember getting into the beta for whatever that EQ Next thing was. They were raffling off beta time in like, extremely limited chunks? So I had only "won" 7 days of testing which is about as hosed and stupid as it sounds, and I'm pretty sure the beta email was trying to convince me to enter more contests on Twitter to get more time!!!

It ran like poo poo and I spent about 20 minutes wandering a big featureless nothing, digging a hole to the center of a earth with a random who disconnected about 50 feet in. I never had the desire to try it ever again. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Smedly works on video games directly at Amazon in their San Diego office. This would explain why Amazon has yet to release anything besides that car game that is really low effort and based on one of their tv shows. :v: the only other game they have in the works really is New World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come no mmos after eq went with first person as the default view.