Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

TheScott2K posted:

I'll just keep playing Blades of Steel on my NES emulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bos is boss

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

It's dumb as hell how complicated sports games have gotten. I don't know how anyone actually likes them. The only kinds of games where it even makes sense is a flight sim or a driving sim because you can have control schemes that match 1:1 with the thing they are replicating. Just give me a shoot button and a fight button.

The last sports game I enjoyed was Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii. That game was so fun to play with friends and I can't figure out why Nintendo never made one for the Wii U or Switch.

Oh also SSX that came out back in 2012 or something. Wasn't as good as the old ones but still really fun and the online implementation owned. Shame about all the death pits and silly survival stages, though.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

That Goalie’s A Wall

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sport games are just needlessly complex RPGs for a different kind of nerd.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Isn't there a gory hockey game on the Switch?

DrNutt posted:

Sport games are just needlessly complex RPGs for a different kind of nerd.

This is extremely true. Sports games are the closest thing "normal" gamers get to seeing what video games look like to everyone else.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I don't play any other sports games, but MLB the Show's Road to the Show mode is literally a baseball RPG with skills you level up, a perk tree, an inventory system with loot and an auction house, cutscenes, and dialogue choices that affect your player's progression. All it's really missing is a storyline.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Monday_ posted:

I don't play any other sports games, but MLB the Show's Road to the Show mode is literally a baseball RPG with skills you level up, a perk tree, an inventory system with loot and an auction house, cutscenes, and dialogue choices that affect your player's progression. All it's really missing is a storyline.

What you're looking for is the NBA game that is also a Spike Lee Joint.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The EA Big series of Street sports were rad as hell.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

TheScott2K posted:

I can’t believe Mutant League Hockey hasn’t been ported anywhere.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

TheScott2K posted:

Super Blood Hockey. No idea if it is good or what.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not sure if I’m posting in the right thread. I had an Xbox360 way back at launch. I had a gamer tag, Xbox live, etc. it’s been years.

I just signed into Minecraft on Switch and my login and password worked, but it’s got some weird gamer tag associated with it. And a couple skins unlocked.

My questions are:

1) did someone else hijack my account? (And if so why didn’t they change the PW?) or is this some genetically assigned gamer tag for my old-rear end account?

2) if someone did Jack my account, how would I go about de-associating it with my Microsoft email/profile ?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

Not sure if I’m posting in the right thread. I had an Xbox360 way back at launch. I had a gamer tag, Xbox live, etc. it’s been years.

I just signed into Minecraft on Switch and my login and password worked, but it’s got some weird gamer tag associated with it. And a couple skins unlocked.

My questions are:

1) did someone else hijack my account? (And if so why didn’t they change the PW?) or is this some genetically assigned gamer tag for my old-rear end account?

2) if someone did Jack my account, how would I go about de-associating it with my Microsoft email/profile ?

Was your old gamer tag, err, offensive in some way? They force a name change if it gets reported - maybe something automated picked it up. If not, it may have just been freed up because it was dormant for so long.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Akuma posted:

Was your old gamer tag, err, offensive in some way? They force a name change if it gets reported - maybe something automated picked it up. If not, it may have just been freed up because it was dormant for so long.

It was just Feenix. It’s been like a decade tho. So I can see them freeing it up. If I signed into something that required gamer tag, are they known to just assign one based on 2 words and a number?

I thought someone had hacked my account but my password remained unchanged which makes me question that...

[Ed] I cannot find a lot of concrete info but it sounds like new accounts are assigned a word+word+## gamer tag so it’s possible my account was considered gamertag-less and that happened...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 1, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Have you tried accessing your account on the Microsoft website? Sometimes games just autogenerate names and it might not actually be replacing your GT.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Feenix posted:

It was just Feenix. It’s been like a decade tho. So I can see them freeing it up. If I signed into something that required gamer tag, are they known to just assign one based on 2 words and a number?

I thought someone had hacked my account but my password remained unchanged which makes me question that...

[Ed] I cannot find a lot of concrete info but it sounds like new accounts are assigned a word+word+## gamer tag so it’s possible my account was considered gamertag-less and that happened...

I had this happen also when I bought an Xbox One a few months back, name had been changed along with avatar but password was still the same.
I'm guessing that maybe someone somehow got a hold of my old 360 or something and fixed it and just used it like it was ????
I really don't know.
But it seems retarded to hack an account and leave the password the same while changing other things.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

American McGay posted:

Have you tried accessing your account on the Microsoft website? Sometimes games just autogenerate names and it might not actually be replacing your GT.

Good Idea. What site would I go to for that?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
xbox.com log in and see what it shows for your xbox profile (from there you can edit it as necessary)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

American McGay posted:

xbox.com log in and see what it shows for your xbox profile (from there you can edit it as necessary)

Yeah the gamer tag is FriendedBrush80 (doesn’t
Sound like a hacker kiddie tag to me) with a generic color splash profile avatar) no recent activity, no achievements, etc.

I’m beginning to think it assigned me this one...

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Feenix posted:

Yeah the gamer tag is FriendedBrush80 (doesn’t
Sound like a hacker kiddie tag to me) with a generic color splash profile avatar) no recent activity, no achievements, etc.

I’m beginning to think it assigned me this one...

That looks like a standard auto generated gamertag. I know there was some point maybe 3 years ago where they reclaimed/released old unused gamer tags but I assumed those would be things from the original Xbox days.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mykroft posted:

That looks like a standard auto generated gamertag. I know there was some point maybe 3 years ago where they reclaimed/released old unused gamer tags but I assumed those would be things from the original Xbox days.

I had an original Xbox. :) so maybe that counts. Anyhoo I changed my tag, etc... password was changed. Im pretty sure it’s all good now. Thanks everyone.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Feenix posted:

I had an original Xbox. :) so maybe that counts. Anyhoo I changed my tag, etc... password was changed. Im pretty sure it’s all good now. Thanks everyone.

I’m sure someone else has your old one at this point, but I think you should be entitled to a free gamertag change as well if you’d like something other than the default. I think you can do it from the console and I’m sure you can from the mobile app as well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mykroft posted:

I’m sure someone else has your old one at this point, but I think you should be entitled to a free gamertag change as well if you’d like something other than the default. I think you can do it from the console and I’m sure you can from the mobile app as well.

Yeah I changed it with no hassle or cost.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wonder if this game is any good.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's an EA game.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
NHL 19 is not terrible if you are looking for a hockey game but hadn’t played one in six or seven years. Like Madden or anything else EA Sports does, it’ll have pretty graphics, but the actual gameplay will be kinda meh and it’ll always feel far too easy or far too difficult and never quite like a real game. I don’t think they added any major new features to the game that really show up in Superstar or Franchise modes, so if you played one recently it’s basically just the usual roster/uniform kind of updated edition. It absolutely wasn’t worth paying for brand new when it came out, but not bad to try it out now a bit for free.

I never bought the NHL series as regularly as Madden (And even that I stopped getting a few years ago), but the last one I really enjoyed was NHL 14 on 360 because it was the last one with the old ESPN announcers (Gary Thorne and Bill Clement) and you could set your goal song from music on the hard drive, plus gameplay elements that have since been dropped (Superstar mode had interviews and silly endorsements, different equipment affecting ratings, among others).

Robin Hood and his Merry Men are up to it again!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I haven't played an NHL EA game since '15 on the 360. I downloaded it last night but haven't played it yet so if it's just an updated version of the same old then I'm sure it'll be aggressively okay.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

There was a couple of years there where GwG was really good and I have a healthy digital 360 collection thanks to it

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m curious about the financial aspect for developers/publishers. It isn’t good value for money, but I would never have played Celeste otherwise and I love the hell out of that game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

I’m curious about the financial aspect for developers/publishers. It isn’t good value for money, but I would never have played Celeste otherwise and I love the hell out of that game.

If they're on the tail of the sales curve, it can stimulate some buzz and move a few copies afterward. It probably stimulates DLC sales, too. In some cases, like Forza 5, it might serve as a decent hype generator for an imminent sequel.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

TheScott2K posted:

There was a couple of years there where GwG was really good and I have a healthy digital 360 collection thanks to it

It helped me find some games I wouldn't have otherwise played for sure.

TheScott2K posted:

If they're on the tail of the sales curve, it can stimulate some buzz and move a few copies afterward. It probably stimulates DLC sales, too. In some cases, like Forza 5, it might serve as a decent hype generator for an imminent sequel.

My guess is since DLC and online micro transactions are how most digital media makes a profit these days, they're definitely okay with the game being put on GwG

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
after playing it nhl 19 sucks big rear end

do they have some sort of agreement with the 4 artists on the soundtrack that doesn’t let them let you turn off individual songs ? all the music is poo poo anyway but some are much worse

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The best Madden was like Madden 2005, MUT and Lootboxes pretty much made EA go mad with power

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

El_Elegante posted:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1134112460468703233

Games with Gold for June 2019 are:
NHL 2019 on Xbox One
Rivals of Aether on Xbox One
Portal: Still Alive on 360
Earth Defense Force 2017 on 360

Is EDF 2017 fun and worth playing?

2017 is old but still great. If you like it then you definitely should pick up 5

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cowman posted:

2017 is old but still great. If you like it then you definitely should pick up 5

Yes, although bear in mind EDF5 and the more recent Iron Rain are through-and-through PS4 true exclusives with no other versions announced.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I believe the sea of thieves and state of decay 2 said their sales (non gamepass) were pretty decent even if their game launched day 1 on gamepass.

I think the idea is word of mouth generates new sales.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

univbee posted:

Yes, although bear in mind EDF5 and the more recent Iron Rain are through-and-through PS4 true exclusives with no other versions announced.

I completely forgot that they were PS4 exclusives. How is Iron Rain by the way?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cowman posted:

I completely forgot that they were PS4 exclusives. How is Iron Rain by the way?

Its both a glimpse at what a user friendly edf could be and also a bad game.

Edf5 is the gold standard bug killer right now

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

El_Elegante posted:

I can’t believe Mutant League Hockey hasn’t been ported anywhere.

One of my favorites as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

The best Madden was like Madden 2005, MUT and Lootboxes pretty much made EA go mad with power

Madden 05 got clowned by NFL2K5 so hard EA ponied up for the exclusive NFL license