Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The gullwing doors are so loving stupid why do people keep giving this company money

They're FALCON wing doors you philistine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

brugroffil posted:

Story is making local news in Chicago so lol Tesla

"Who leaves a two year old alone in the car???" uh literally every parent as they exit the car to go get the child out?

lmao if you dont climb over the seats and push your child out the back door before exiting

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

baka kaba posted:

Did they ever say what the point is? Like if the whole car used them then ok I guess... but half the doors are normal and the back ones just do that for some reason? Get a real Homercar vibe from it

Musk, in a genius design session, declared sliding doors "stupid" and "annoying," so he invented for the first time ever the doors of the future

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The point is that Elon is a meme idiot and OMG just like a delorean in back to the future!!! Is the extent of it

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

creepy and weird to hunt down photos of accident victims to point and laugh at them imo

Or am I understanding something wrong here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ I'm assuming the bazingas did it? Hell they were talking about how the kid looks evil

brugroffil posted:

The point is that Elon is a meme idiot and OMG just like a delorean in back to the future!!! Is the extent of it

But it's not! If all the doors did that, sure! Maybe two giant doors so the whole side lifts? cool future

Instead your kid gets to be marty mcfly while you have to use a non-billionaire door like a scrub. What's the experience they're going for here? Is it an accessibility thing like a sliding rear door?

Dezinus posted:

Musk, in a genius design session, declared sliding doors "stupid" and "annoying," so he invented for the first time ever the doors of the future

Like this would make sense I guess, if the plan was to have some kind of special rear doors... except the door opening up into your face and being useless in confined spaces doesn't make it very accessible!! But I just got the impression it was a normal 4-door and then Elon went "make... two of the doors Delorean doors!!!" for no goddamn reason

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My guess is that during development, they realized that gullwing doors are turbo impractical. Driver can't get out in parking garages and what not. So the front row had to have normal doors.

But without the gullwing doors the car wouldn't stand out to the nerds. After all, who would buy the car if you can't get Reddit points with the doors? So they just used both, and now the Bazingas can use the front doors and pose with the back doors.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lord Stimperor posted:

My guess is that during development, they realized that gullwing doors are turbo impractical. Driver can't get out in parking garages and what not. So the front row had to have normal doors.

But without the gullwing doors the car wouldn't stand out to the nerds. After all, who would buy the car if you can't get Reddit points with the doors? So they just used both, and now the Bazingas can use the front doors and pose with the back doors.
That was exactly it. The X was more or less finalized with proper doors and Musk kramered in to the design department with the flappy door idea

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have an unrelated question. Toyota uses NI-MH batteries for their hybrid cars. How does their environmental impact compare to lithium batteries? Is there any battery technology that does not turbofuck the planet?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Scissor Doors > Gull-Wing Doors

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

make a car with no doors like those old US Postal jeeps

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Scissor Doors > Gull-Wing Doors

i used to live next door to some cool 20-something dude who got scissor doors installed on his gold 2000s mercury sable. they were fully sick

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m93olOsV0MA&t=82s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZxQyxZYgfE&t=30s
Also butterfly doors > all

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have an unrelated question. Toyota uses NI-MH batteries for their hybrid cars. How does their environmental impact compare to lithium batteries? Is there any battery technology that does not turbofuck the planet?

It's better environmentally speaking, but also heavier and not much room for improvement.

From what I've seen research wise and some patent news car companies are heading for solid state batteries rather than metal/liquid ion based batteries.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i once got to watch a guy in a parking garage try to maneuver the rear doors of his model x so that the passengers could get in. it looked like there were some buttons or joysticks inside along the B pillar and it took him several minutes to get it open wide enough while not bonking the door into the pipes/concrete of the building

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i once got to watch a guy in a parking garage try to maneuver the rear doors of his model x so that the passengers could get in. it looked like there were some buttons or joysticks inside along the B pillar and it took him several minutes to get it open wide enough while not bonking the door into the pipes/concrete of the building

If it had lidar wouldn't it be able to build up a picture of that space and automatically calculate how to move the door without hitting anything?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

That's a great show btw

I literally can't watch that show because it makes me angry

It's more of a documentary than Idiocracy

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

We *def* don't recommended this, but Model X flies well enough to turn it into a bird for short periods of time. Thrust via door operation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We don't recommend this but the Model X can be used for underwater cave child rescue. Thrust via the car's natural aggression for the child's mother placed at the end of the cave.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Hot (or possibly cold??) take: Idiocracy is eugenicist.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Cantvyou justvtake the doors off like a Jeep?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Again, they couldn't get the safety sensors to work properly with those dumb loving doors, so they just disabled it via OTA update

https://jalopnik.com/did-tesla-quietly-remove-a-safety-feature-from-the-mode-1786000681

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
An actor from the new Aladdin movie had his wheel fly off on the highway and is suing tesla now. It hit tmz. Number gonna go down even more.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

A Whole New Whomp

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

A Whole New Whomp

Don't you dare close your eyes!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

That's a great show btw

Jian Yangis the CSPAM spirit animal.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Streak posted:

An actor from the new Aladdin movie had his wheel fly off on the highway and is suing tesla now. It hit tmz. Number gonna go down even more.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/31/aladdin-star-mena-massoud-suing-tesla-lawsuit/

comments are being taking over by bazingas blaming the driver for being on drugs or "not following the instructions" as per usual

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Streak posted:

are you new to this? bad news means number go up

whomp whomp

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Number19 posted:

https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/31/aladdin-star-mena-massoud-suing-tesla-lawsuit/

comments are being taking over by bazingas blaming the driver for being on drugs or "not following the instructions" as per usual

lmao this owns. whomp whomp strikes again

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wasn't this issue because Tesla was using cast parts for the struts instead of forged?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

etalian posted:

Wasn't this issue because Tesla was using cast parts for the struts instead of forged?

They claim the plastic/bubblecast aluminum acts as a fuse in an accident protecting the frame from damage even though every minor fender bender is a write-off.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i'm a fan of the "must have been doing 100mph when he hit a pothole" because i'm pretty sure my mazda3 would handle that just fine. maybe i'd blow a tire but i'm pretty sure the front suspension wouldn't disintegrate and have the whole front right side of the car be totaled

that's with my knowing that mazda3s sometimes have suspension problems

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Powershift posted:

are you new to this? bad news means number go up

whomp whomp

number is slowly going down so maybe we're going to see a late friday sell off

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Powershift posted:

They claim the plastic/bubblecast aluminum acts as a fuse in an accident protecting the frame from damage even though every minor fender bender is a write-off.

lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136377865@N05/sets/72157658490111523/

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Number19 posted:

i'm a fan of the "must have been doing 100mph when he hit a pothole" because i'm pretty sure my mazda3 would handle that just fine. maybe i'd blow a tire but i'm pretty sure the front suspension wouldn't disintegrate and have the whole front right side of the car be totaled

that's with my knowing that mazda3s sometimes have suspension problems

There's definitely a chance you'd do serious damage to your wheel or suspension if you hit a decent pothole at 100mph

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

brugroffil posted:

There's definitely a chance you'd do serious damage to your wheel or suspension if you hit a decent pothole at 100mph

sure, but i don't think i'd have the entire wheel fall off and destroy the suspension

e: i also don't drive 100mph on city streets or anywhere else so i'll never actually find out :shrug:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

lol any other manufacturer would be facing a fleet-wide recall to inspect and replace parts for this level of failure. i had a recall because there's a small chance a parking brake would not engage in very limited circumstances and htat's far less of a safety risk than this

i guess tesla is disrupting the recall process as well

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Tag yourself I'm the hundreds of pictures of Teslas with wheels that fall off that Bazingas go out of their way to defend as driver error.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Number19 posted:

i guess tesla is disrupting the recall process as well

by disabling asset tracking they sure have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Hacker/Tinkerer confirms Autopilot decapitation capability:

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1134489969479815169

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1134490018867814400

Jamsta has issued a correction as of 20:29 on May 31, 2019