Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

Friends, it doesn't take the prescience of Spice to know that within a year, we're going to be faced with masses of people complaining that these so-called "sand worms" are blatantly plagiarised from Star Wars' highly original sarlac pit monster. Furthermore, the Bene Gesserit are clearly a women-only version of the Jedi order, pandering to the SJW crowd that continues to stomp on our most beloved memories.
It's gonna suuuuuck

I don't give a crumbly dessicated poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Communist Walrus posted:

I don't give a crumbly dessicated poo poo

Have you tried eating less cheese?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

exmachina posted:

Hmm, I would be more afraid of this if not for the Lynch film and the video games. Dune has it's shoe in the door of pop culture.

And that one Billy and Mandy episode.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Tree Bucket posted:

Friends, it doesn't take the prescience of Spice to know that within a year, we're going to be faced with masses of people complaining that these so-called "sand worms" are blatantly plagiarised from Star Wars' highly original sarlac pit monster. Furthermore, the Bene Gesserit are clearly a women-only version of the Jedi order, pandering to the SJW crowd that continues to stomp on our most beloved memories.
It's gonna suuuuuck

We will own up on these bitches by making fun of their corny harry potter poo poo.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I have already seen a distressing number of people tweeting that it's the sci-fi version of GoT.

no binch now u better listen to me

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Vlex posted:

I have already seen a distressing number of people tweeting that it's the sci-fi version of GoT.

I mean, at least they're outing themselves as people whose only yardstick for media is movies.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Vlex posted:

Yeah, seasons 1-5 GoT. @duneauthor is season 6-8.

Edit: And let the hype go. New people becoming enthused does not lessen your own appreciation.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 31, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

exmachina posted:

Yeah, seasons 1-5 GoT. @duneauthor is season 6-8.

Edit: And let the hype go. New people becoming enthused does not lessen your own appreciation.

Yaaaaas chani slay kween!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vlex posted:

I mean, pretty much the best pitch/explanation for it for most people today is gonna be 'Game of Thrones in space'. Especially since it draws heavily on the same kind of medieval court drama.

That said, they probably should borrow from the book blurb and put something like 'Before Star Wars... before Star Trek... there was DUNE' in the trailer.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why wasn't the God Emperor named Leto III? There was already a Leto II. In real life royal dynasties, if a child died in infancy, do they call a mulligan and reuse the name for the new, real heir? Or would he only really count as "Leto, second of his name" if he'd ascended to the title of Duke successfully when Paul died/walked into the desert in effective abdication.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Normally you don’t get a regnal number unless you actually reign, but Paul already thinks of his not-yet-murdered firstborn as Leto II in the first book. Paul knew he would be succeeded by his son, so when he had a son he named him Leto II. Just got the wrong son.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Teaser poster has arrived.

edit: no it hasn't, i got taken in by a fan poster

Vlex fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 31, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vlex posted:

Teaser poster has arrived.

edit: no it hasn't, i got taken in by a fan poster

I don't believe a real Hollywood poster in TYOOL 2019 would use the word 'seminal.'

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
And no mention of Oscar Isaac.

A shameful poster.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why wasn't the God Emperor named Leto III? There was already a Leto II. In real life royal dynasties, if a child died in infancy, do they call a mulligan and reuse the name for the new, real heir? Or would he only really count as "Leto, second of his name" if he'd ascended to the title of Duke successfully when Paul died/walked into the desert in effective abdication.

The Priesthood of the Divided God ruled on this generations ago, heretic.

Edit: technically, he is only Duke Leto II, as the elder Leto was never Emperor. But you gonna tell the God Emperor that?

exmachina fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 31, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

exmachina posted:

@duneauthor is season 6-8.

@duneauthor never created anything as awesome as Season 6. I'll give you 7 and 8 though

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I bet if you tried to waste Leto's time with all the begats he'd lift up his tail and flick you out of the audience hall.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, pretty much the best pitch/explanation for it for most people today is gonna be 'Game of Thrones in space'. Especially since it draws heavily on the same kind of medieval court drama.

it helps there are major celebs like Colbert that are massive Dune nerds to bitch slap knowledge

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sorry yall the Bad Seasons are all non-book material seasons, so post S4 is dune author dogshit

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

S8 is Billy Jeeling

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Anne Frank Funk posted:

S8 is Billy Jeeling

Bran has never failed to sexually satisfy a woman

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
If you poo poo without rhythm you attract Shite Poo’lood

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Communist Walrus posted:

Bran has never failed to sexually satisfy a woman

I mean couldn’t he just possess someone to have sex in their body? Or at the very least warg into them while they have sex?

Or would witnessing their own little death make them mentally retarded like Hodor?

And re: royal names. If you hold multiple titles are you both [Name] the X, [title] of [place], and [name] the Y, [title] of [place], where Y=\=X? So for example, assuming there’s never been an Padishah Emperor named Leto, would our immortal Lubricoid friend be both both Duke Leto II, second of his name, and Emperor Leto I, first of his name?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

uber_stoat posted:

what do Fremen use for toilets, is this known? obv they don't use flushing toilets. too much water. plenty of sand though. litterbox?

Stilgar, inspecting the litterbox after Paul has just laid waste to it: "Usul has called a big one!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I mean couldn’t he just possess someone to have sex in their body? Or at the very least warg into them while they have sex?

Or would witnessing their own little death make them mentally retarded like Hodor?

Chokme just doesn't have the same ring

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they use holtsmsan technology to fold the poo poo right out of their asses

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Leto, once covered in sandtrout, ponders that his large intestine is longer than typical and extracts all water from his shits, because of fremen genetics.

Edit: this is actually in the book. Frank Herbert put considerable thought in the important matters.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

they use holtsmsan technology to fold the poo poo right out of their asses

The deleted scene In Lynch's film with the mis-jumped Fremen bolus encasing the seeker was a bit too deep for test audiences.

"...I must grip it tightly"

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Would noble houses/people be able to travel to, and exploit stuff in their own solar system, like asteroids or other planets and moons? They can have their own space shuttles, so would intra-system travel be something you could do without the Guild?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Who knows since Dune follows the 1 solar system = 1 planet = 1 biome model

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Would noble houses/people be able to travel to, and exploit stuff in their own solar system, like asteroids or other planets and moons? They can have their own space shuttles, so would intra-system travel be something you could do without the Guild?

I imagine so, since you have to go into outer space to board a Guild ship anyway. They might even risk expeditions into deep space if the distances aren't very far. But that'd probably mean a multi-generational crew.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Who knows since Dune follows the 1 solar system = 1 planet = 1 biome model

It does not. :mad:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And re: royal names. If you hold multiple titles are you both [Name] the X, [title] of [place], and [name] the Y, [title] of [place], where Y=\=X?

You can be. The last Stuart king of England and Scotland is sometimes referred to as “James II and VII” for example.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And re: royal names. If you hold multiple titles are you both [Name] the X, [title] of [place], and [name] the Y, [title] of [place], where Y=\=X? So for example, assuming there’s never been an Padishah Emperor named Leto, would our immortal Lubricoid friend be both both Duke Leto II, second of his name, and Emperor Leto I, first of his name?

When Elizabeth I died and her Scottish cousin took the throne of England he became James I of England and VI of Scotland.

e: what he said ^

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

phasmid posted:

It does not. :mad:

I'm sorry but for all its pros I think it does this even if it's not presented as obviously as in star wars

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 31, 2019

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I mean Ix is literally the 9th planet in its solar system and everyone in-universe forgot that's how it got its name. :colbert:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It is and no one mentions anything interesting about planets i-viii. Unless the empire has means to terraform planets without much difficulty it's even more realistic that livable planets would be sparse.
But still: Dune - desert planet, Caladan - water planet, Giedi Prime - poo poo planet (or is that Dune again?)

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Turns out "desert planets" in the sense of the book are pretty common in the universe, with a habitable zone more than 3 times larger than "aqua" planets.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51251901_Habitable_Zone_Limits_for_Dry_Planets

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but "prime", "secundus", "3", etc. refers to the planet from closest to farthest from the star.
e: beaten about the planet order thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarMECH posted:

I mean Ix is literally the 9th planet in its solar system and everyone in-universe forgot that's how it got its name. :colbert:

That or they forgot what Roman numerals are, which I think is more fitting. They're not speaking English in the Dune universe, let alone Latin

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

That or they forgot what Roman numerals are, which I think is more fitting

Yes, it was "Planet IX" meaning Planet 9 and over time they forgot that IX meant 9 and just called it Ix.

Also, Geidi Prime is the first planet in its solar system, Salusa Secundus is the second in its solar system, etc. as the poster above mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They’re kinda sorta speaking English in Dune, Galach is “Inglo-Slavic”