Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

YF-23 posted:

I don't really think you need to get rid of activation being instant; at least personally I like that a lot. But bringing income more under player control is something you are definitely on the money on. Let's take EU4, you could have a part of your monarch power cap contributed by estates; so for instance for your military power, 25% of it is contributed by the nobles estate. That amount builds off estate loyalty and influence, in parallel to the rest of your monarch power. So if your cap is 999, and you have a 3 MIL ruler and a 1 MIL advisor, you get 7 MIL points which can build up to 750, and your nobility estates give you some extra, up to 249.

Hell, ok, let's break it more. You have a base cap, monarch cap, and estate cap. Base cap is 50% of your cap, monarch cap and estate cap are 25% each. Base builds from the 3 base gain + advisors, monarch from monarch skill (minimum should move from 0 to 1), and estate from estate infuence/loyalty. You could then toy with balance by adding modifiers to specific caps, growth rates and so on. But the player could then have a greater influence on monarch power by actually caring for estates and giving you an actual important benefit from doling out land to them instead of constantly trying to rein them in.

Nah I think one of the biggest problems is the instantaneous actions. It feels like a board game or something, not a living society. A big part of this is definitely personal taste, I think Paradox games should lean more towards sims than board games, but just generally I think it's more fun and makes more sense to make things take time. Let you speed up or slow down how fast a thing happens, obviously, but the traditional stockpiling income and then spending it all for instant effects things just feels wrong. I'd much rather take a year to pass a law spending 5 units of political capital a month over 12 months with events and other factors maybe increasing or decreasing the speed/progress than wait and do nothing except watch my stockpile tick up for a year until I hit 60 and get it instantly. Taking time and the rates being influenced by other factors feels more like running an actual state where you're not an omnipotent god that just wills things into existence once you've sat still for 12 months.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

But it basically is a board game and not a living society.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kaza42 posted:

One thing I don't like about mana systems is that they tend to make the outcome instant after you've saved up the points. But that's not how governing works, so it feels fake

How I would do it:
You have one mana pool, called Focus. Mostly, it has a set maximum and recovery rate although some techs/reforms/traits or whatever can adjust it. Nowhere near as much as the current ruler MP points though.
Each faction within your nation has a Trust score towards you. These factions could be EU4's Estates, or Rome's parties, or CK2's Major Nobles or whatever. Trust is very strongly based on your character.

This system would A)make ruling feel less like magic, because things take time B)retain the advantages of a point-based system and C)give you extra ability to interact with the factions within your realm

Crazycryodude posted:

Nah I think one of the biggest problems is the instantaneous actions. It feels like a board game or something, not a living society.
If you want a living society, how about making progress happen without player input at all? Basically, instead of technological progress being centralized in the monarch, a lot of it happens through your factions too - but it's not a simple linear thing, and instead something like Vicky inventions. Basically, if the Merchant Faction is powerful it's gonna invent/discover new poo poo (or import from abroad) more quickly than an anemic Merchant Faction - but that might not necessarily be a good thing, if it's also pissed off. In that case, the inventions might just make them more of a pain in the rear end, perhaps culminating in them eventually forming a Revolutionary Faction that's really gonna undermine you.

To get around the player getting screwed by randomness, maybe have advisors associated with specific factions which allows the player to actively choose positive techs to research. Or, if the monarch is especially gifted, they can do it themselves.

Minenfeld! posted:

Is clearly isn't ought here.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

EU4 being the most like a board game is why it is, in my opinion, the best of the current generation of paradox games. So no surprise that I would rather maintain the elements that make it work like that. :v:

I much prefer the amount of actions that are directly in the players' control than the more chaotic, simulation-y aspects of CK2 or V2. An EU4 campaign feels like a campaign rather than a story and I really appreciate that.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Stellaris has a perfectly good mana system because the different kinds of mana come up organically from your territory, buildings, tech, expansion, etc. I wouldn't mind mana at all in EU4 if they were something like "research points" and came from your advisors

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Minenfeld! posted:

You're right, but I also think that's among it's biggest weaknesses; it makes it less engrossing and less interesting. I really wish they'd lean into adding more history-sim elements.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Minenfeld! posted:

Yeah that's what I don't like.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
EU4 being like a board game is probably why I like it the least

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Pacho posted:

Stellaris has a perfectly good mana system because the different kinds of mana come up organically from your territory, buildings, tech, expansion, etc. I wouldn't mind mana at all in EU4 if they were something like "research points" and came from your advisors

Yeah I'd call Stellaris resources, well, resources rather than "mana." I think the key difference is that resources are generated and get spent in logical ways the player can control. Like if I need more minerals, build more mines. If I need more energy, build more generators. If I need more alloys, build more foundries and make sure you have enough minerals and energy to run them. It's all abstracted, but it generally has the sense of a real economy or at least a logic to it. If I need more ADM points.... uh.... hope the dice roll 20 years from now comes up good. That's about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, and the one 'mana'-ish resource Stellaris has - Influence - is still super irritating at times, far more so than the ones you're in charge of generating yourself.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

If it's not Vicky 3, it had better be Paradox's version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Although TW:3 Kingdoms is apparently Very Good so it might come across as a massive me-too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

There's also about 3,000 years of human history still left to cover before Imperator so maybe we'll see a bronze age game, I kinda doubt they'd do a migration period game so soon after Imperator but it's possible, and then there's 1950-2200 which would probably be a Cold War game to 2001 or something. Of course, there's probably also room for like three different ancient China games so maybe it's that, release would be far enough away that they wouldn't really be competing with the new Total War.

It's totally Victoria 3 tho :ssh:
I want them to do a crossover with Tyranny, where you have that mix of powerful personalities a la CK2, with magic and rpg elements on a historical map, modelled on the pop systems of Stellaris, Imperator and CK2 because the numbers involved are small enough you should be able to model them fairly closely

Also direct competition with Total War would.be crazy. Paradox has grown a lot but have they really come close to Creative Assembly in size?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Farecoal posted:

:emptyquote:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Farecoal posted:

Europa Universalis is a board game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm honestly kind of surprised to see this much disdain for the board game-style gameplay in this thread. I'd have assumed most the people here also like board games but I guess not, huh.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Everything that is bad about paradox games is when they're trying to make a strategy game instead of a simulation :colbert:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah count me in as a vote for mana systems. I think EU4 does mana really well, certainly much better than EU3 handled things like paying for technology or using agents/magistrates.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

YF-23 posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised to see this much disdain for the board game-style gameplay in this thread. I'd have assumed most the people here also like board games but I guess not, huh.

I also enjoy board games, but I have a whole stack of them and when I fire up a strategy game on my PC it's because I don't want to play a board game.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Jedit posted:

Europa Universalis is a board game.

I know? I'm not a fan.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

I also enjoy board games, but I have a whole stack of them and when I fire up a strategy game on my PC it's because I don't want to play a board game.

:same:

The thing that makes the Paradox games great compared to say, Civ, is that they're actually grounded in history, it allows for way more interesting stuff. I just want them to lean in harder.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I want them to do a crossover with Tyranny, where you have that mix of powerful personalities a la CK2, with magic and rpg elements on a historical map, modelled on the pop systems of Stellaris, Imperator and CK2 because the numbers involved are small enough you should be able to model them fairly closely

Also direct competition with Total War would.be crazy. Paradox has grown a lot but have they really come close to Creative Assembly in size?

I have no idea how to check, but my impression was that paradox passed up CA in sales fiveish years ago when CK2 and rome2 came out within a couple months of each other

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Senor Dog posted:

I have no idea how to check, but my impression was that paradox passed up CA in sales fiveish years ago when CK2 and rome2 came out within a couple months of each other

Paradox Interactive has a total revenue of 118,328,776 USD [source: wikipedia converted from krona].
Sega (the parent company of CA) has a total revenue of 1,898,000,000 USD (about 15x Paradox's) [source: wikipedia converted from yen]

Crunchbase estimates that CA has a total revenue of 16,300,000 USD however. That same website estimates Paradox at about 650 million.

Glassdoor reports 10-25 million per year in revenue for CA, but doesn't have any data for Paradox.

This combined with the fact that Sega bought CA for ~30 million back in 2005 suggests that the Crunchbase estimate is probably not too far off the bat

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That's conflating Paradox the developer and Paradox the publisher. Three Kingdoms is CA's fastest selling game ever (and apparently the biggest 2019 launch on steam so far, in any genre) so it's not a completely fair comparison, but it went past 1 million sales within the first week; EU4 took well over a year to hit that figure didn't it? And for a cheaper game at that. The grand strategy games are getting more popular (and elements of them are creeping into Total War and Civ now; with Three Kingdoms, more than ever, so it's clear CA's paying attention to what Paradox is doing) but I think CA is still pretty gigantic compared to the Paradox dev teams, and also growing insanely fast these past few years since Warhammer was a wild success.

Also Rome 2 and CK2 were well over a year apart. CK2 came out at about the same time as the expansion for Total War: Shogun 2, Fall of the Samurai. I guess I wouldn't be astonished if CK2 did better? It was pretty huge and not up against a full Total War release. But I'd be pretty astonished if EU4 outsold Total War: Rome 2 (better received though for sure).

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 30, 2019

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

It feels like a board game or something, not a living society.
I think Paradox games should lean more towards sims than board games
pass a law spending 5 units of political capital a month over 12 months

:thunk:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

PittTheElder posted:

:same:

The thing that makes the Paradox games great compared to say, Civ, is that they're actually grounded in history, it allows for way more interesting stuff. I just want them to lean in harder.

uhh

I mean, I get it and you're not entirely wrong but all Paradox makes are games of grand conquest designed to ultimately paint the map

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah count me in as a vote for mana systems. I think EU4 does mana really well, certainly much better than EU3 handled things like paying for technology or using agents/magistrates.

This, sort of. There are good and bad ways to implement 'mana' systems and EU4 mostly nailed it. Imperator mostly failed it. Stellaris is sort of eh, Influence is just boring.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

uhh

I mean, I get it and you're not entirely wrong but all Paradox makes are games of grand conquest designed to ultimately paint the map

I think the point they're making is that it's more about jumping into a historical context and pretending you could do better, rather than like, just arbitrarily setting up some game pieces and seeing whose game pieces are better.

The conflict here is that some people are into Paradox games for the mechanics, and others are into them for the fiction, and sometimes they aren't super compatible. The more "game-y" the mechanics get, the more difficult it gets to be absorbed into the setting and pretend that it's a realistic historical simulator. Meanwhile, the stronger the game leans into the fiction, the more obtuse and obscure the mechanics get. As Paradox games go, EU is probably the farthest end of the "mechanics" spectrum, while Victoria is the farthest into the "fiction" spectrum, and most are at various points in between.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that there's no right answer here, and that different approaches work for different styles of game. Paradox has a lot of franchises and there's no reason they all have to be done the same way.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The parts I find most maddening are the parts that are neither realistic nor good gameplay. 'Junior partners and vassals = ork armies' and 'any war = total war' being among the most egregious.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What if the secret project is... Diplomacy 2? :gonk:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

YF-23 posted:

I wonder if there’s a correlation with how much multiplayer people play. I’m about 50/50 solo vs. mp and I prefer the board game style gameplay. I can imagine if I only played solo that I might feel different.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

The parts I find most maddening are the parts that are neither realistic nor good gameplay. 'Junior partners and vassals = ork armies' and 'any war = total war' being among the most egregious.
Yeah, that's a good point. Definitely makes the most sense for Paradox to focus their efforts there, since that should make most everyone happy. Would love to see subjects and the political side of warfare getting an overhaul on a similar level as technology groups/handicaps did.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Just got Stellaris recently and had a really weird thing happen to me - the Galactic Nomads sold me 15 ships that jumped my early game fleet power from ~1500 to ~6400.

Now I know what you're going to say, that's an event that happens sometimes.

But the weird thing was, they offered to sell me 5 ships for 1000 energy credits or 2000 minerals. I said sure to the minerals, and while the order was processing, a mysterious person contacted me to say that my vassal had also negotiated for the ships, and that for the low, low price of 1000 energy credits they can "keep that from happening." So I figured it was just pumping me for more money to get the same 5 ships. I didn't want to lose them(or have my vassal be able to curbstomp me) so I threw good money after bad.

But instead, I got my original 5 ship order, and a the same time a "Redirected" delivery of 10 ships that were meant to my vassal (whom I imagine would have made me into their vassal). But they didn't even take my 1000 energy credits. The text actually suggested I should have only gotten ten ships total ("two separate five-ship orders were delivered to the Sol system"). Thanks for the bugsolid, mystery dude, I got 15 cruisers for 2000 minerals before 2245. It was worth the scramble to get enough energy to survive the upkeep.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 31, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nail Rat posted:

Just got Stellaris recently and had a really weird thing happen to me - the Galactic Nomads sold me 15 ships that jumped my early game fleet power from ~1500 to ~6400.

Now I know what you're going to say, that's an event that happens sometimes.

But the weird thing was, they offered to sell me 5 ships for 1000 energy credits or 2000 minerals. I said sure to the minerals, and while the order was processing, a mysterious person contacted me to say that my vassal had also negotiated for the ships, and that for the low, low price of 1000 energy credits they can "keep that from happening." So I figured it was just pumping me for more money to get the same 5 ships. I didn't want to lose them(or have my vassal be able to curbstomp me) so I threw good money after bad.

But instead, I got my original 5 ship order, and a the same time a "Redirected" delivery of 10 ships that were meant to my vassal (whom I imagine would have made me into their vassal). But they didn't even take my 1000 energy credits. The text actually suggested I should have only gotten ten ships total ("two separate five-ship orders were delivered to the Sol system"). Thanks for the bugsolid, mystery dude, I got 15 cruisers for 2000 minerals before 2245. It was worth the scramble to get enough energy to survive the upkeep.
Stellaris.txt

Its still buggy as gently caress and they arent spending the time they need to to polish rough edges like that out. I still love the game though.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Family Values posted:

I wonder if there’s a correlation with how much multiplayer people play. I’m about 50/50 solo vs. mp and I prefer the board game style gameplay. I can imagine if I only played solo that I might feel different.

This might be part of it. I can't stand Paradox MP because the presence of other players fucks with gameplay too much imo. Real hard to debate the choices facing my nation - or even care about the concept of the nation - when I've got people who are playing like it's a battle royale around.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

That's conflating Paradox the developer and Paradox the publisher. Three Kingdoms is CA's fastest selling game ever (and apparently the biggest 2019 launch on steam so far, in any genre) so it's not a completely fair comparison, but it went past 1 million sales within the first week; EU4 took well over a year to hit that figure didn't it? And for a cheaper game at that. The grand strategy games are getting more popular (and elements of them are creeping into Total War and Civ now; with Three Kingdoms, more than ever, so it's clear CA's paying attention to what Paradox is doing) but I think CA is still pretty gigantic compared to the Paradox dev teams, and also growing insanely fast these past few years since Warhammer was a wild success.

Also Rome 2 and CK2 were well over a year apart. CK2 came out at about the same time as the expansion for Total War: Shogun 2, Fall of the Samurai. I guess I wouldn't be astonished if CK2 did better? It was pretty huge and not up against a full Total War release. But I'd be pretty astonished if EU4 outsold Total War: Rome 2 (better received though for sure).

Oops yeah I did mean EU4 not CK2.

Since there’s no available data, I’m not going to argue the other points.

I’m glad there are multiple bigish devs makin these games and I hope we get a few more even.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kaza42 posted:

Paradox Interactive has a total revenue of 118,328,776 USD [source: wikipedia converted from krona].
Sega (the parent company of CA) has a total revenue of 1,898,000,000 USD (about 15x Paradox's) [source: wikipedia converted from yen]

Crunchbase estimates that CA has a total revenue of 16,300,000 USD however. That same website estimates Paradox at about 650 million.

Glassdoor reports 10-25 million per year in revenue for CA, but doesn't have any data for Paradox.

This combined with the fact that Sega bought CA for ~30 million back in 2005 suggests that the Crunchbase estimate is probably not too far off the bat

I don't think comparing Sega to Paradox is really a relevant stat.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I have been working on a map for a CK2 TC for literally six years.

I would have been done last year but half way through I decided my province budget was just far too low and decided to redo it :shepicide:

Playstation 4 posted:

I think my province budget is good, its just the long arduous process of actually populating the thing.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I reckon I'll write a program to do the populating, if I ever make it that far.

I meant to reply to these awhile back. Someone on the Paradox forums made a tool to help with some of that. Not sure if it's helpful given where you're at, but it's over here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tools-ck2maptools-automating-some-of-the-map-generation-process.1116396/

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

So what’s the most bonkers thing you’ve done in a Shattered World while playing CK2? (For reference, my most recent settings are inter-religious marriages ON, Aztecs ON, Mongol invasion ON, China ON (within diplomatic range), dynastic titles OFF; I also play with some mods, most notably Ruler Designer Unlocked because I’m a person who just wants to play the game, not be restricted for the sake of achievements)

Here’s mine: I started as a custom Hellenic character (female because I needed variety; this will be important later, trust me), chose Athens as my starting point, and then proceeded to reform the Hellenic faith into a warmongering, bloodthirsty matriarchal society (told ya my character’s gender was important) and also formed Byzantium, founding the Hellenic versions of the Benedictine Order, Satanism, and their warrior lodge along the way and I claimed Rome from the Papacy prior to forming Byzantium, which sparked the Fratecelli heresy overtaking Catholicism as the true faith in Europe, as well as seeing a rise in Tengri worship in along the Austrian/Italian border.

Last I left off, I was very close to reforming the Roman Empire (I only need Venice, Jerusalem, Tunis, and maybe Antioch (will have to check that last one)), and one of my most recent characters was one-handed and still had a Personal Combat score in the triple digits (mostly due to her previous dueling experience and some sweet weapons that I forged) before she died. I’m now playing her daughter who, though also a capable fighter, is a part of the aforementioned Hellenic Benedictine Order.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Made a custom horde in the Netherlands and just blobbed all over the place. It turns out you can go full North Korea mode because you don't have a demesne limit for feudal holdings and you don't get any clan penalties because provinces with more than 1 holding left don't count as nomadic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Mana systems are OK but they could be done better. Just abstract all types into a single pool and remove the "luck factor" by having it regenerate at a fixed rate, in realtime. Each action you take as a player should cost an amount of mana relative to its importance. So I might have 60/60 mana and I want to declare a war on a large neighbor. That costs 50 mana. If I return to the game 5 hours later, that mana will have regenerated and I can take another action. If I want to play faster, I can choose to spend a currency item to refill my bar. Currency items should be gained via special ingame events, or via a small microtransacton. This would make the game far more enjoyable, and perhaps also get Pdox some much needed extra money.