Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Look Sir Droids posted:

I guess I’ll get that then. I just haven’t needed any of those things to solve a problem.

I bet this game is so simple to no aug.

Something I’ve noticed is no matter how much I upgrade my max battery, it won’t recharge all the way. So I can only head punch clothesline one person before I have to sit and wait. Biocells push it back to max but those are one use consumables.

The vertical white line represents your max recharge point at any given moment. Certain abilities reduce that max, while others just deplete the charge. None of the augs increase the minimum charge you can hold, which really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Adam "My arm batteries are too low" Jensen

One of the goofiest mechanical draw-backs I've seen in a game.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
And yet the most realistic one. "Here's all this fancy tech, you can use it for 30s a day."

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Falcorum posted:

And yet the most realistic one. "Here's all this fancy tech, you can use it for 30s a day."

This is one of the darker themes DXHR touched on and will probably become real. You have a heart attack that's so destructive you get an artificial heart which works great but you gotta pay a $15/month subscription to keep it working optimally. If you can't pay then the heart works at a bare minimum dictated by government regulation, if there is any. If no regulation than you die, lol. Also the company who designed the heart added all sorts of Internet of Things bullshit to it but didn't bother to properly secure anything so a random script kiddie with a good wifi antenna a half mile away can make your heart go into overdrive causing hemorrhages everywhere or maybe just make it stop in the middle of your afternoon tea "for the lolz".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
We are living in the Repo! The Genetic Opera timeline.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That movie was the only good thing Paris Hilton ever did. Largely because she was playing Paris Hilton, with all expected hate and bile

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I got remote hacking and yeah that’s a nice to have.

I just hit Prague for the third time. I can’t believe I’ve gotten this far without a boss fight. Does the mission structure change depending on your choice to go after the bomber or rob the bank for corporate secrets?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I just hit Prague for the third time. I can’t believe I’ve gotten this far without a boss fight. Does the mission structure change depending on your choice to go after the bomber or rob the bank for corporate secrets?
There's really only one and you can bypass it if you find a killphrase.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Look Sir Droids posted:

The mission structure doesn’t change, but it absolutely limits your ending choices. If you can’t guarantee you’ll play the game a second time you should read some spoilers and decide what route you want to go.

Mankind Divided made an interesting design decision about choice and consequence when it came to the Vega v. Miller dilemma. It’s internally consistent but too bad there’s no upside to giving Miller the intel.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

El_Elegante posted:

The mission structure doesn’t change, but it absolutely limits your ending choices. If you can’t guarantee you’ll play the game a second time you should read some spoilers and decide what route you want to go.

Mankind Divided made an interesting design decision about choice and consequence when it came to the Vega v. Miller dilemma. It’s internally consistent but too bad there’s no upside to giving Miller the intel.

I already gave Miller the intel and chose to go after the bomb maker instead of help Vega rob the bank.

If NG+ lets me keep my stats and gear, I’ll just do a quick, sloppy run through the game and ignore sidequests I already did.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I had already thoroughly cleared out the bank when i got the choice and i loved the crazy bomb plot.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Does that mean you can do both objectives?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does that mean you can do both objectives?
No, it's either or. Different rewards for doing each of them.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Finished MD today. Whoever said Golem City is 60% through lol it was more like 30%.

I started new game+ to do a murder most things run and wow this game is quick the second time through. I’ll probably wrap this up before doing the DLC.

I definitely prefer HR though. Prague is a better hub world than Detroit, but they didn't do much with it. The only mission I liked was London. The main mission in Golem City was cool, but drug on too long.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 29, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's the go-to revamp/update mod for og Deus Ex these days? Not looking for new content or abilities, just "make game run better on Windows 10/be a bit less janky."

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arivia posted:

What's the go-to revamp/update mod for og Deus Ex these days? Not looking for new content or abilities, just "make game run better on Windows 10/be a bit less janky."

If you just want a renderer that will help Deux Ex (or any Unreal engine 1 game for that matter) run smoother in Win10 I've had success with the Kenti Direct3D 10 renderer.

https://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Here is the Github

https://github.com/mkentie

The game will still be vanilla, as this is just a renderer for Unreal 1 engine games. With that said, I find it helps "clean up" the graphics a bit, and the game runs better in Win10 that it did before.

*EDIT*

I forgot, he also has this replacement .exe that fixes issues with the base game and modern systems

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 17, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Crossposting from the FPS megathread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNUNx319UCM

Why crunchain it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
"Snaquinas spoke of the caramythical peanutropolis on the fill" is perhaps the greatest sentence ever uttered in the English language.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Will there be a new thread next April, or is the title just going to get updated? :v:

Hoping to do a playthrough this summer, it's been like five years and I'm interested to check out the Revision mod on Steam.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm gonna be one of the nerds that says Revision is bad. Its just changes for the sake of changes and makes no effort to ask the question "was the previous level design better than what I have made?" It did however give me a brand new appreciation for vanilla Deus Ex.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sometimes I wonder how Bob Page actually got Lucius DeBeers into that freezer. I bet he shoved him really hard into it and cackled.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

El_Elegante posted:

Sometimes I wonder how Bob Page actually got Lucius DeBeers into that freezer. I bet he shoved him really hard into it and cackled.

Didn't he go in willingly because he foolishly thought Bob Page would actually wake him up when the technology to cure him was available?

quote:

I'm gonna be one of the nerds that says Revision is bad. Its just changes for the sake of changes and makes no effort to ask the question "was the previous level design better than what I have made?" It did however give me a brand new appreciation for vanilla Deus Ex.

Maybe I'll just stick with Shifter then (I mostly preferred its changes to vanilla).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

El_Elegante posted:

"Lucius, the Totinos are way in the back, you really gotta get in there"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Didn't he go in willingly because he foolishly thought Bob Page would actually wake him up when the technology to cure him was available?

That was Morgan Everett, not Page

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe I'll just stick with Shifter then (I mostly preferred its changes to vanilla).

I think Biomod is the slightly more wholesome mod to run vanilla with. Revision is OK i guess. I recall there being areas that are new but did not have any loot in it, which is kind of a crime.

GMDX is also pretty decent.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Whoops, I meant Morgan Everett.

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah, but what are the odds that an Illuminatus would let an opportunity to shove him go to waste. It would totally be under the guise of helping Lucius into the ice box.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

heard u like girls posted:

I think Biomod is the slightly more wholesome mod to run vanilla with. Revision is OK i guess. I recall there being areas that are new but did not have any loot in it, which is kind of a crime.

GMDX is also pretty decent.

Yeah Biomod is my preference. Haven't tried GMDX but Revision made it really really tough to like Revision and the mod author being an unalloyed goofus (i removed all the early aug canisters on Realistic, because augmentations are not Realistic, also i changed the locations of later ones and no i will not say where they are, hurrr :downs: ) shreds what appreciation I have for the admittedly very pretty lighting and texture changes.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I did a full playthrough of Revision last year, I think I even have a write up earlier in this thread.

My opinion? If you are a fan of the original its worth at least one play-through. I can't directly compare it to vanilla as it has been 10+ years since I last did a vanilla play-through, but Revision did nothing offensively bad and a few of the changes were interesting. I liked the way Paris was re-mapped, and Hong Kong looks gorgeous.

To reiterate, if someone is new and wants to check out Deus Ex for the first time, I would always suggest going vanilla first. After that, there is no harm in mods like Revision. I poured 45 hours into it and had fun and enjoyed the changes for the most part but ymmv. :shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Revision is unnecessary but it changed things around enough it was worth playing through for someone like me who's done the game like 20 times. I wouldn't play Revision again.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yeah I mean anyone posting in this thread is going to play it because they're going to play dx 20 times

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Revision sounds like something that I would enjoy, provided I keep it at a low difficulty level.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Psion posted:

yeah I mean anyone posting in this thread is going to play it because they're going to play dx 20 times

I've played DX 16, maybe 17 times max.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

To reiterate, if someone is new and wants to check out Deus Ex for the first time, I would always suggest going vanilla first. After that, there is no harm in mods like Revision. I poured 45 hours into it and had fun and enjoyed the changes for the most part but ymmv. :shrug:
If you're new ifo should always be vanilla -> shifter -> biomod -> gmdx / revision otherwise there's it's like going to different games. You gotta appreciate the evolution.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If it's possible to get Deus Ex running on a switch somehow it would make me seriously consider home brewing it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

jojoinnit posted:

If you're new ifo should always be vanilla -> shifter -> biomod -> gmdx / revision otherwise there's it's like going to different games. You gotta appreciate the evolution.

I actually agree with this. This is how most of us did it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I just picked up MD for another run for the first time since release. It's a lot more enjoyable than I remember (and I remember it being pretty good in a lot of places and brilliant in a few, but with a sudden end and integrated Square-Enix poo poo that soured me pretty bad on it). I haven't done any of the DLCs, are they worth it?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Farrier Theaks posted:

I just picked up MD for another run for the first time since release. It's a lot more enjoyable than I remember (and I remember it being pretty good in a lot of places and brilliant in a few, but with a sudden end and integrated Square-Enix poo poo that soured me pretty bad on it). I haven't done any of the DLCs, are they worth it?

Yes, especially the prison break one. They're solid in gameplay and being stand alone means the story isn't chopped up and ruined

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

jojoinnit posted:

Yes, especially the prison break one. They're solid in gameplay and being stand alone means the story isn't chopped up and ruined

I'm not that far into the run (end of Prague 1); are they worth playing now or waiting until post-game?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Farrier Theaks posted:

I'm not that far into the run (end of Prague 1); are they worth playing now or waiting until post-game?
Wait till post-game. Two of them could have been part of the regular campaign, and one of those explicitly should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Hm, I completely missed The Red Light District, the Red Queen, and (apparently) 95% of the Dvali story in my first playthrough. I see why everyone thinks the game is short - the side missions are like 75% of the content.