Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

FulsomFrank posted:

It's the dying hours of the CliniC kickstarter, what are people's thoughts? Yay or nay?

It looks really interesting and I'm a big fan of Theme Hospital/hospital themed games so I think as long as the mechanics are sound I'll really enjoy it, regardless of how high the learning curve might be. Don't have a hundo to drop on it though so I'll just get the Doctor pledge and hope the expansion is available later on. Not having a pledge manager always makes it harder to justify the purchase since there's no time to save up extra cash, and I've already got several other pledges in the works that should be arriving over the next 5 months. I need to slow down on acquiring new games until I get more of my un-played ones to the table. I know I should sell some of the games I don't play as much but the problem is that I enjoy pretty much all of them so I don't have any that jump out at me as "this needs to go asap".

The Narrator posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone here talk about Nusfjord. Any thoughts? Still can't beat Feast for Odin?

I've played it a few times now and I feel like I finally have a good idea of what to look for and what strategies will work better than others. It took me until about halfway through the first game to really understand what all the action spaces are for. Once you know what to look for, there are some really powerful ways to jump ahead if you're lucky enough to get what you need. It's nice that it plays up to 5, but having that many players does make it harder to plan your turn in advance.

Compared to AFFO, it's much tighter and compressed, with every single action you take having significance (21 total actions over the course of the game). It makes for a quick yet thinky experience, but at the same time, it can be kind of unforgiving if you make a bad move early on or if someone takes that space/elder/building you wanted before it was your turn.

It's the kind of game that gets more enjoyable the more times you play it. And the fishies are pretty rad, too.

SettingSun posted:

My biggest regret is First Martians. 70 bucks, and it’s my only game to date I’ve never played, and have no desire to. Ugh.

My condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
My biggest recent regret is Alchemists. Our first game consisted of one person each turn having a bunch of information to puzzle out while everyone else sat there waiting - sure, it was a different person each turn, but that soured me on it a heap.

It was fascinating how much psychologically worse it made getting wrecked at worker placement feel - like the 'oh no i didn't get to do the thing i planned' part of worker placement is fine but it normally just means you're in a worse position and can do better next turn as opposed to in a worse position and also you need to wait a bit while other people do their deductions.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I feel like my biggest regrets are going to be the kickstarters that arrive in the post in the next 6-7 months! I feel like Catacombs is going to be something I like to play but can rarely be bothered with and Root will struggle to see the table much because a decent chunk of the people I play with regularly are weak willed and feeble so the slightest hint of complication can cause them to run for the hills, when you stack direct and kind of cut throat competition on top of that I can see some people being not that keep to break it out regularly. I will do it anyway though, my table, my games, my rules! :colbert:

As for regrets of games that are already in my possession.... I dunno.... I guess Ca$h n Gun$ doesn't see much play time any more and probably won't for the foreseeable future. Wingspan might also not see that much action because one of my friends doesn't like birds and I can't be bothered to have the conversation about it so I just pick a different game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Doesn't like birds to the point where they'll not play a game because it features birds?

Like, I have that sentiment for some overused tropes like zombies and Cthulhu, but...birds?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Rutibex posted:

But you are not supposed to play all four eras back to back. There are rules specifically to play 1-2 era games and save your progress for later.

I know, but then I could play TWO games of AFFO or whatever. I just don't think the Colonists is better enough than other similar Euros to justify the length.

I've kept it just because of the solo, and I would be fully willing to revisit it multiplayer with the team-based and coop modes in the expansion. If that ever gets a release this side of the Atlantic.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

My biggest regret is Sentinels of the Multiverse. I played it at gencon several my first or sections time there when i was just getting into board games. Ended up buying a couple of the expansions for it, too. I played it once or twice since i bought it, and it's just a slog to do turns and resolve effects and figure out what tokens are applying when, and ugh. It's a terrible mess.

I also refuse to touch and board game that includes zombies or cthulu. Like won't even give it the time of dayi don't care how good the minis are because gently caress minis and all those games are basically poo poo.

Except for that one time i play cthulu wars.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I've only ever played Sentinels with the app, and it's a real blast, especially the curated missions which sometimes require out of the box tactics to win, not too mathy and a solid puzzle. But often I'll do an attack and the value will be bizzarely different and I'll have to backtrack to figure it out, other times the bad guy will be drawing extra cards and I'm not sure why until I reread every card.

Like the app is an incredible feat for making it playable, but holy hell there is 0 chance you could ever convince to play it with cardboard bits.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

silvergoose posted:

Doesn't like birds to the point where they'll not play a game because it features birds?

Like, I have that sentiment for some overused tropes like zombies and Cthulhu, but...birds?
It's just your run of the mill hatred of an entire animal class, you know how it is. I think they got pecked by ducks or something when they were young :shrug:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Redundant posted:

It's just your run of the mill hatred of an entire animal class, you know how it is. I think they got pecked by ducks or something when they were young :shrug:

:psyduck:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

You stay out of this

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Makes sense to me. A lot of people are playing it because it does feature birds, makes sense for an orniphobe to not play it for that same reason.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Of course the goose would say this. Geese are assholes, it is known.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I am not good at Colonial Twilight. As the FLN I can play as if they were Taliban or VC and do fine but as Government I cannot seem to get my moves right, and I waste all my turns and resources. Government seems like it can do three basic things:

- Train, Pacify and resettle to win the war of attrition through the France and Border tracks and building Support
- Use Troops to try to kill FLN and establish Govt Control, through Sweep, Assault, and Troop Lift
- Use Police to do the same thing with Garrison and Neutralize

All have their relative strengths and costs, but I am not good at deciding what tactics might be best. There's also the problem of overall strategy -- it's obvious you play Mobilization asap, but I never know when to play the other Pivotals. And how fast should the Government escalate anyway? What to do about a slow FLN strategy in the long game where FLN doesn't get to 15 Opposition + Bases for a long time? In some ways, CT is deeper than the other COINs, because there's no multiplayer weirdness to get in the way.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cthulhu Wars is good and so are birds. I forget if CW has the giant albino penguins among its million expansions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Cthulhu Wars is good and so are birds. I forget if CW has the giant albino penguins among its million expansions.

They were an addon to the Bubastis Kickstarter that they did on April 1st. So they're coming, but not here yet.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Of course the goose would say this. Geese are assholes, it is known.

I was, indeed, being silly, given that Psyduck is a duck and I'm a goose.

My 4yo keeps telling me he doesn't like my dad jokes though. :smith:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My biggest regret was Bunny Bunny Moose Moose. It made me realize Vladda is not infallible.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

djfooboo posted:

My biggest regret was Bunny Bunny Moose Moose. It made me realize Vladda is not infallible.

Why do you say that? I'm about to break it out at a camping event this weekend and I suspect it will be a hit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Btw I will be demoing Rome & Roll at the Plastic Soldier Company booth at the UKGE from 1:45 so if you wanna meet let me know. Might also be free for open gaming after 6 so I can critique your terrible buying decisions.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Rutibex posted:

I'm sorry I wasn't here to read your post asking for suggestions. No one should have to subject themselves to Caverna when A Feast for Odin exists. I would have warned you :(

Yeah, unless you don't want to play Tetris.

I like Feast for Odin, but I want games to stop moving toward this spacial orientation puzzle bullshit. I hate that stuff. To me, it is the weakest part of Feast for Odin.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I bought Millennium Blades because I thought it might be a game my Magic friends would get into, but turning playing a CCG into a baldly economic exercise made them question their life choices too much.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

hoiyes posted:

I've only ever played Sentinels with the app, and it's a real blast, especially the curated missions which sometimes require out of the box tactics to win, not too mathy and a solid puzzle. But often I'll do an attack and the value will be bizzarely different and I'll have to backtrack to figure it out, other times the bad guy will be drawing extra cards and I'm not sure why until I reread every card.

Like the app is an incredible feat for making it playable, but holy hell there is 0 chance you could ever convince to play it with cardboard bits.

That's exactly why I don't like Sentinels. I've only played with cardboard bits at near max player count, and the downtime and quarterbacking is frustrating. The worst is when I got beginner hero because I've only played a few times instead of dozens. The more complex heroes have some interesting cardplay, but the beginner heroes are practically autopilot decks. In short, the app is way cheaper than the physical game, and you should never ever play the physical game.

That said, I am still waiting for a Mage Knight app.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Board game apps highlight how some games really work better in a digital medium.
Smallworld is a fun phone game, but a pretty tedious board game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Retromancer posted:

I bought Millennium Blades because I thought it might be a game my Magic friends would get into, but turning playing a CCG into a baldly economic exercise made them question their life choices too much.

The problem with Millennium Blades, much like Magic, is that you need to know what the various sets do and how they work within each other, or else you are going to get hosed.

I quite enjoy the game but getting anyone to play it with me is a futile endeavour. I need to try doing the solo mode.

Edit: Speaking of solo mode, I'm aggravated that I never picked up Archipelago's solo expansion when I had the chance. drat hard to find now (in Canada) for a decent price. Tried to order it a little while ago only to be shafted by some Chinese distributor (at least I got a refund though)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SlyFrog posted:

I like Feast for Odin, but I want games to stop moving toward this spacial orientation puzzle bullshit. I hate that stuff. To me, it is the weakest part of Feast for Odin.

That's my favourite part of Feast. It's especially cool with the expansion which adds a bunch of oddly shaped tiles like the pigs.

Agricola pretends to have a spacial puzzle aspect, but in 99% of games your farm ends up looking almost exactly the same.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tekopo posted:

Btw I will be demoing Rome & Roll at the Plastic Soldier Company booth at the UKGE from 1:45 so if you wanna meet let me know. Might also be free for open gaming after 6 so I can critique your terrible buying decisions.

This game sounds awesome.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

SlyFrog posted:

Is anyone actually doing the spacial orientation puzzle other than Uwe Rosenberg?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

admanb posted:

Is anyone actually doing the spacial orientation puzzle other than Uwe Rosenberg?

Tiny Towns and Kingdomino?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

admanb posted:

18xx

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

admanb posted:

Alban Viard does it the best

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wargames where unit orientation matters

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I was thinking of (and assuming SlyFrog was referring to) specifically the tetris-style games, rather than just any tile-laying game.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Barenpark

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Santa Maria does it a bit but it's kind of half-baked.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

golden bubble posted:

That's exactly why I don't like Sentinels. I've only played with cardboard bits at near max player count, and the downtime and quarterbacking is frustrating. The worst is when I got beginner hero because I've only played a few times instead of dozens. The more complex heroes have some interesting cardplay, but the beginner heroes are practically autopilot decks. In short, the app is way cheaper than the physical game, and you should never ever play the physical game.

That said, I am still waiting for a Mage Knight app.

Oh boy, I'd never even considered how lame it would be just playing Legacy in a 4p game.

"So I'm hurting myself to protect the others and my power is +1 damage for the team. Turn over" x 10

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Papes posted:

Alban Viard does it the best

Yeah the spatial gameplay in Small City is pretty interesting, having to keep track of adjacency and having buildings in good places so that they have room to grow but still are adjacent to enough buildings to upgrade them.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

!Klams posted:

I think the first game I bought was betrayal, because somehow (God knows how) my first three games of it were 'excellent'. Incredibly balanced, thematic haunts that were all nail biters and made for great stories. I got super fuckin bamboozled.

food court bailiff posted:

Oh, thought of another huge regret: Widow's Walk expansion for Betrayal. I've gone on record many times for how much I generally enjoy Betrayal as a "couple times a year around Halloween with pizza and beer and a horror flick" kind of get-together, even if it fizzles sometimes. The expansion haunts are just super bad and unfun, 100% of the ones we've gotten. They seem like they try to be far more clever than the game mechanics actually support.

:same:

And my friends at the time fell in love with it and never wanted to play anything else, even after getting the expansion :negative:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hey, this is a bit of a longshot but is anybody in this thread going to/ already at the UK Games Expo who also has some freetime and the inclination to help a fellow goon out? I play a game called Heroclix and apparently there are some exclusive convention figures you can buy there, this is a picture of the display apparently, https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...53&oe=5D51B9ED..

I had no idea as the company in charge is very bad at promoting their poo poo so had no plans to go and cannot at such short notice but if someone is there and willing to sort something out (I guess you buy them and I paypal you then you send them to me? Or if you live near Reading you could come give them to me in person) then that'd be great, don't have PMs but tehrevel@hotmail.com is my email, I promise I'm not a dick who will leave you holding the bag.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Board game apps highlight how some games really work better in a digital medium.
Smallworld is a fun phone game, but a pretty tedious board game.

Having played the digital version a few times, I can't imagine wanting to ever play Through The Ages in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just broke the Wizkids clause and bought Seal Team Fux for a steal. Suck it thread! Looks 3X7R3M3!!!!